As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    My Vulcan with a COIL-M and Quad MG is a goddamn beast, so if you can put together, go for it.

I got the Vulcan out of the crate, along with a UAC2 and UAC5. Worthless on low skilled pilots. Best i could do was slap my last PPC in him and threw in a bunch of jumpjets. Its ok...
    My Firestarter on the other hand just strips armor off light mechs with his 5 machine guns.

Just managed to slap together yet another Panther. Slapped in my last 2 ML and an LRM15+ the shop had for sale. I cannot find ML for sale on ANY of the planets i go to. 1.5 skull missions are death traps at this point.

There's no basic weapons on sale in any system post 1.8 patch, they all go by the system tags. Mining systems have ACs etc. If you need lasers, go to Navigation and check which systems have them from the tooltips that explain the various tags.

This is such a dumb design decision. Literally every planet I've been on is swimming in 'Mech parts, if not outright 'Mechs, but the most ubiquitous weapon in existence is totally unavailable wherever you are? I mean, it's not like most of those 'Mech pieces didn't literally contain a bajillion Medium Lasers. Oh wait, most of them did at one point!

I just can't facepalm hard enough at this decision.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    My Vulcan with a COIL-M and Quad MG is a goddamn beast, so if you can put together, go for it.

I got the Vulcan out of the crate, along with a UAC2 and UAC5. Worthless on low skilled pilots. Best i could do was slap my last PPC in him and threw in a bunch of jumpjets. Its ok...
    My Firestarter on the other hand just strips armor off light mechs with his 5 machine guns.

Just managed to slap together yet another Panther. Slapped in my last 2 ML and an LRM15+ the shop had for sale. I cannot find ML for sale on ANY of the planets i go to. 1.5 skull missions are death traps at this point.

There's no basic weapons on sale in any system post 1.8 patch, they all go by the system tags. Mining systems have ACs etc. If you need lasers, go to Navigation and check which systems have them from the tooltips that explain the various tags.

This is such a dumb design decision. Literally every planet I've been on is swimming in 'Mech parts, if not outright 'Mechs, but the most ubiquitous weapon in existence is totally unavailable wherever you are? I mean, it's not like most of those 'Mech pieces didn't literally contain a bajillion Medium Lasers. Oh wait, most of them did at one point!

yea. it needs a tweek. most systems should have at least some lasers and basic ballistics along with some srms and lrms. Its nice to get the special goodies at certain systems, but it punishes the broke merc.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Well, the Heavy Metal edition of Battletech 3025 Extended just dropped, it might fix this since they adjusted how new tech is distributed throughout the Sphere.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Well, the Heavy Metal edition of Battletech 3025 Extended just dropped, it might fix this since they adjusted how new tech is distributed throughout the Sphere.

I was actually waiting for this. Guess I know what I'll be doing later.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I might take a swing at mods in my next career, after I finish my current one and a bit of a break.

How's the mod scene getting on with the BT update making provisions for handling them?

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I might take a swing at mods in my next career, after I finish my current one and a bit of a break.

How's the mod scene getting on with the BT update making provisions for handling them?

Amusingly enough the "official mod support" doesn't work and mods still need to use the old mod injector. I hope we don't need to wait until 1.9 (whenever that will happen) for them to fix it.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    .... I like the Griffon with the PPC and LRM10. It knows exactly what it is. Bounce around at range and plink away with some heavier hitting stuff.

I also like the stock Griffin load out! Yeah its damage is mediocre, but it can put it out reliably from distance, it's tanky enough to act as a scout/bullet sponge, and if your pilot isn't complete garbage, you're doing sensor damage every turn.

I like the Griffin, but from a design standpoint it bothers me that it has no point blank options, I feel like it needed a pair of smalls. In practice this is almost never true if you play smart

What I really like on a Griffin, though, is a LL + MRMs. The weapons pair perfectly and it's just lovely.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tox wrote: »
    I like the Griffin

I liked it better when it was called a Soltic Roundfacer.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular

Amusingly enough the "official mod support" doesn't work and mods still need to use the old mod injector. I hope we don't need to wait until 1.9 (whenever that will happen) for them to fix it.

Official mod support definitely works. I use it for less head injuries and basic panic system currently.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Official mod support definitely works. I use it for less head injuries and basic panic system currently.

It doesn't work for the bigger modpaks though. BattleTech Extended 3025-3057 Commander's Edition for example doesn't work with it.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Well that explains why I can't find any damn AC's in the stores.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The two main mod categories I've personally run into so far that don't work yet with the HBS loader are things that add new mech models/assets (anything using CAB essentially) or add UI changes. Mech variants work just fine as long as they use HBS assets/models.

BEX CE works with 1.8, you just have to go back to the modtek method of install, which has also been updated for 1.8.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Just had my first run in with an Archer 2S - that thing hits pretty dang hard. Luckily the old headshot machine made quick work of him. Also, you guys weren't kidding about the Marauder, its bonuses almost break the game - it seems like the most efficient way win in career mode now is to immediately rush a Marauder by buying parts out of the stores. The only thing holding back my current run right now is that I can't find weapons to properly outfit the MAD and am working off the stock loadout instead.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Just had my first run in with an Archer 2S - that thing hits pretty dang hard. Luckily the old headshot machine made quick work of him. Also, you guys weren't kidding about the Marauder, its bonuses almost break the game - it seems like the most efficient way win in career mode now is to immediately rush a Marauder by buying parts out of the stores. The only thing holding back my current run right now is that I can't find weapons to properly outfit the MAD and am working off the stock loadout instead.

I dunno, if you want one mech that'll wreck all enemies I prefer the Annihilator. Unlike Marauder it kills the enemy whether or not you use a Precision Shot and if you really want you can use it to decapitate about as well as many Marauder loadouts (with the slight problem of maybe also coring the target in the process). Firing 4-5 UACs at a distant target is just damn cool, too. Pew pew!

All you need is Black Market access, they tend to have 3 pieces of Anny more often than not in my experience.

In another news bored of all the dozen different ways you can trivially destroy your opposition in the vanilla I went and installed 3025 Extended CE and started in 3053 with the crappier Cicada, two Locusts, an AC20 trashcan and a Firestarter. Bonus crate gave me an Assassin, UAC5 and LBX10 so I could instantly upgrade the trashcan to UAC5 version. Stock Assassin is worse than a Locust so my initial lance was pretty crappy.

Now a dozen missions later I managed to assemble another Firestarter (using 5 pieces per mech) and finally found some SRMs for the Assassin to make it worth fielding. Things are looking up!

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Black market probably ain't happening for me this run. Somebody ran up a 2 million c bill debt to the local pirates, but I couldn't afford to leave them the pilot...

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Black market probably ain't happening for me this run. Somebody ran up a 2 million c bill debt to the local pirates, but I couldn't afford to leave them the pilot...

Getting BM access is such tedious bullshit but once you have it, you can just buy everything you'll ever need and ignore salvage completely. You could say it makes sense considering the "plot" of Heavy Metal but I'm not a big fan of either the method of access or the piles and piles of lostech/exceptional rare gear you can buy easily and cheaply once you have it.

If it was up to me, I'd reduce the selection in any given Black Market to maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of the current long list, reduce the number of mech pieces per variant any one BM has and then double all the prices.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    No way should Black Market have all sorts of top gear anyway. If it was, I dunno, the secret Comstar store? Sure, because they sit on piles of Lostech. But a bunch of rando bandits? Nah, that stuff should be locked up in faction stores or be a one-per-planet thing (and even then, only from a mission reward/salvage). If the Black Market has access to all these assault mechs and Lostech, the bandits would just load it all up and take over the planet for themselves. Or the nearest faction would gear up, kick in their door, and take all that amazing gear for themselves; a lance of Lostech mechs is already a huge advantage, but being able to outfit half your military with Lostech would be too tempting to pass up.

Doesn't make any kind of sense that it's just sitting in an illegal store somewhere.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    When they cite lore reasons and cut way back on the black market in 1.9, I'm blaming all of you

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    As someone who doesn't use the Black Market at all, sure, I won't mind :P.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Fucking hell.

Started a new career. 1/2 skull mission.

Jenner runs up and cores out my Commando with its first salvo (to the front, not even a back shot!), killing the pilot.

More combat, then while dealing with a Firestarter, that same damned Jenner manages to core out my Vindicator, also killing the pilot.

Two pilots dead, three mechs damaged, and it's a damned good thing I didn't have mech destruction on or I'd be down to a single shitty Vindicator and a bunch of lights.

Worst half skull mission ever.

Orca on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    That Jenner pilot was the main character from Story Mode.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I think the Black Market stuff is less broken than the Faction stores anyway. You can ally with a faction for no cost, then the Faction store also costs a ton less than the Black Market and you get a faction discount. I was absolutely appalled at the weapon and mech selection available for allying with Federated Suns; when you've got an unlimited number of UAC/20s with +20 damage and -3 tonnage, it's pretty much game over at that point. Called Shots on center torsos are all you need, because absolutely nothing can stand up to double-double salvos of AC/20 with an Annihilator damage boost. It actually becomes a challenge to find anything that can survive more than half a salvo and even needs the alpha strike.

Gauss++ may seem nice, but UAC/20++ just completely embarrasses it for damage output. The only advantage it has is range, and almost none of the maps in the game let gauss actually operate out at its long range. With UAC/20++, you come up on the side of a mech and go "whatever, the bleedover damage from the destroyed sections is still going to core the mech". Virtually the only effective downside is that you can't single-fire UAC weapons, which means you usually end up with massive overkill against things like vehicles.

• Options
    I don't really like UAC20s much, mainly because of the range and the +8 recoil. With the Annihilator damage bonus and its snail-like speed you'll destroy enemies with UAC5s with far greater ease. That said, it's not a bad weapon obviously, just one with downsides I personally don't really care for.

In other news I just upgraded my UAC5 trashcan to a Victor, which increases my drop tonnage from 140t to 190t in one go. Did a 3-skull Clash of Titans with a 1-skull lance, never even saw the Victor except afterwards in the salvage pile because I wasn't going to get involved until the number of mechs had gone down a bit. The other assault did survive long enough that I had to start firing at it, I think it was a Zeus. Always fun to fight those when you are piloting a Locust.

So yeah, skipped heavier mediums, never assembled a heavy yet ... straight to assaults from previously having 40t as my heaviest. At least I didn't buy it from a shop.

• Options
    OK. The BEX CE mod is where it's at. There is literally no way I can go back to the base game now. The entire inner sphere map is nice, but didn't totally sell me. Starting in 3025 is nice, but still didn't sell me. Seeing the wasps, Singers and Hermes AND seeing them be effective against me? Nice, we're getting there. A better AI that was totally picking me apart? Good. Good. My Firestarter pilot almost getting cored out, panicking and punching out all on his own? Sold!

This mod is amazing so far. Lights are a bitch to kill because you can't hit the damn things reliably enough. And God help you if you have to ambush a convoy full of hovercraft. Holy hell. All my missions are going 17+ rounds.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, I'm excited for Mechwarrior 5, but also resigned to the fact that tomorrow is going to be an absolute shit show. The number of things Russ claims they are still working on is disturbing. Graphical settings that are bugged. Optimizations. Joystick/HOTAS support. RTX support has been delayed.

Dude, it's less than 24 hours before show time. I'm sure the game will be technically playable. But I'm not sure it'll be worth my time until a month or two of patches.

Then again, Battletech shipped kind of rough too, and I loved the shit out of it. Still, HOTAS support is a dealbreaker for me in a MW game, and as of the beta my X52 was dead in the water.

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    You know, I'm excited for Mechwarrior 5, but also resigned to the fact that tomorrow is going to be an absolute shit show. The number of things Russ claims they are still working on is disturbing. Graphical settings that are bugged. Optimizations. Joystick/HOTAS support. RTX support has been delayed.

Dude, it's less than 24 hours before show time. I'm sure the game will be technically playable. But I'm not sure it'll be worth my time until a month or two of patches.

Then again, Battletech shipped kind of rough too, and I loved the shit out of it. Still, HOTAS support is a dealbreaker for me in a MW game, and as of the beta my X52 was dead in the water.

I must confess I broke down and bought it last night

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

I want to buy it.
    I'm going to buy it.
    Finding time to play will be a struggle. More so if I want to play with you peeps.

I am sad. That said, I think by the time I actually get into it, it'll have a QoL patch or two under its digital belt; I half expect the launch to be rough sledding.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

I preordered before the Epic deal, and just kept that preorder. I regret nothing. The beta demo was good enough gameplay wise, even lacking the HOTAS support. I doubt the full game will feel like a colossal fuck up waste of time. But yeah, definitely a seat of the pants operations over there at PGI.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I’ve been watching Baradul’s videos showcasing the various weapons and mechs. Probably going to pick this up, unless people report the full release as a disaster.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

I've been watching things with great interest. I'm of the opinion that raytracing support is basically right up there with "native support for 8K resolutions", and that's not just because I don't own a RTX video card. HOTAS, on the other hand, would be a complete deal-breaker. I'm not signing on a MechWarrior singleplayer experience to be a KBAM jockey like I'm playing online and I don't have a choice. So, that's worrying (but good) to know.

Really, it's been long enough since MW4:M and I've spent enough time desperately trying not to loathe MWO as an actual game-playing experience that my content standards are pretty low. No Clan mechs--fine, there's good reason for that. Algorithimically generated missions rather than deliberate composed experiences--okay, well, I guess "story" isn't so much the reason then, but I guess it worked in Il-2 Sturmovik. But not being able to use my X56 would be where I draw the line. And this after being delayed three months. I don't suppose they can blame Microsoft or other license holders for that.

Guess I'm just glad I don't have any money on the line here.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Still excited to play it, might have to get the Epic Launcher and at least download it so I don't forget, but dumb Call of Duty with its timed unlocks and addictive gameplay loop will keep me busy for a long time. I need to finish Tales of Zestiria before I start a new SP game anyways.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

I preordered before the Epic deal, and just kept that preorder. I regret nothing. The beta demo was good enough gameplay wise, even lacking the HOTAS support. I doubt the full game will feel like a colossal fuck up waste of time. But yeah, definitely a seat of the pants operations over there at PGI.
    Choice paralysis kept me from canceling the preorder also, so this finally breaks my Epic Store embargo.

I can't believe they still don't have working preloads on this store.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Let me tell you a tale of woe about PGI and Mechwarrior Online.

I want to buy it.
    I'm going to buy it.
    Finding time to play will be a struggle. More so if I want to play with you peeps.

I am sad. That said, I think by the time I actually get into it, it'll have a QoL patch or two under its digital belt; I half expect the launch to be rough sledding.

Just wait for the Steam release a year later to get all the patches... Although you won't be able to play with Epic launcher players from what they hinted at. I'm honestly not sure if I want to buy the game now, given how poorly they are running the launch and treating their players worse than IS pilots in MWO.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

I want to buy it.
    I'm going to buy it.

Just wait for the Steam release a year later to get all the patches... Although you won't be able to play with Epic launcher players from what they hinted at. I'm honestly not sure if I want to buy the game now, given how poorly they are running the launch and treating their players worse than IS pilots in MWO.
    Yeah, well, conveniently we're on an IS loyalty contract and the only clan mechs in my mech bay are free/gifted ones. We've been trained for this.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

I want to buy it.
    I'm going to buy it.

Yeah, well, conveniently we're on a IS loyalty contract and the only clan mechs in my mech bay are free/gifted ones. We've been trained for this.

I was supportive of PGI with MWO since, well, they gave me a way to play stompy bots with others and did a great job with the art assets. Bought a bunch of mech packs to support keeping the lights on, for more mechs (in hopes that one day I'd get to live the dream of piloting a Stinger or Wasp, but at least I got to pilot a Phoenix Hawk) and to keep HG at bay. But yeah, we've been trained to allow PGI to abuse us since they are THE only option we have had in the last decade.

MW5's launch worries me since they already delayed it to make it "better" and they said that Epic's cash infusion allowed them to finish it. But they did drop the demo/beta when they promised so guess they will end up fixing all the errors and issues they have with the game eventually...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The one thing PGI did right was the art design. The OG mechs were mostly garbage outside of the unseens. The new models really helped breathe life into the game again.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I like the battlemech art direction in MW4. Even in MW3 and MW2, acknowledging very real limitations in technology. Guess that's just me.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Anybody know when Mechwarrior 5 actually unlocks? Tonight? Tomorrow afternoon?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Anybody know when Mechwarrior 5 actually unlocks? Tonight? Tomorrow afternoon?

Approximately 6am of the 10th.

Russ: Yes it’s in the morning pacific time - estimated 6am but give a little leeway

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I expect tomorrow to have lots of Oosik reports coming in on how the game is and making me jealous.

oosik_betsuni.png