As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    That raven flashpoint and the one that has you fighting capellan terrorists both had me blow up the objective and nope right the fuck out. Some of the new flashpoints just seem way too hard. Keep in mind I’m not very good at this game.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    MWO

switched my PNT-10K(S) to a dual snPPC and AMS build.

Kids, let me tell you, dual snPPC with a total +30 velocity are pretty damn close to hitscan in optimal and do naughty things to stealth lights who try to chew up your assaults.

I had a match last night where I was up against a certain hot shit stealth flea pilot and he couldn’t get anything done because the minute he set his eyes on the back of one of my assaults he had open components and his ECM was turned off for several seconds.

Dangit, why did I never think about this. I've always run mine as either 2ERPPCs or 1ERPPC and 2SRM4s (for anti light). Never thought of running it as a 2snPPC...

Can you link your build and skill tree here so I can be lazy and copy/paste?

ALSO IT IS OOSIK NIGHT!!! Anybody going to be around for some possible Solaris 7 matches?

Here's the build for the PNT-10K(S) (not sure which version of the 10K you have, so I just copied the one I am using).

This is the skill tree: abf5bc31f700c4446fb1d83c3bc62101cf37f00000000003021c3b022201c

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO

switched my PNT-10K(S) to a dual snPPC and AMS build.

Kids, let me tell you, dual snPPC with a total +30 velocity are pretty damn close to hitscan in optimal and do naughty things to stealth lights who try to chew up your assaults.

I had a match last night where I was up against a certain hot shit stealth flea pilot and he couldn’t get anything done because the minute he set his eyes on the back of one of my assaults he had open components and his ECM was turned off for several seconds.

Dangit, why did I never think about this. I've always run mine as either 2ERPPCs or 1ERPPC and 2SRM4s (for anti light). Never thought of running it as a 2snPPC...

Can you link your build and skill tree here so I can be lazy and copy/paste?

ALSO IT IS OOSIK NIGHT!!! Anybody going to be around for some possible Solaris 7 matches?

Here's the build for the PNT-10K(S) (not sure which version of the 10K you have, so I just copied the one I am using).

This is the skill tree: abf5bc31f700c4446fb1d83c3bc62101cf37f00000000003021c3b022201c

Awesome, thanks. I have the normal 10K so the build will work. I'll copy the skill tree and try it out.

@Nobody @Erlkönig Sorry, I am a bit late. Dropping now if anybody wants to join.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Advice for the Raven flashpoint final mission:
    Don't approach the base head-on. When the mission starts, if you sprint left under ECM for several rounds, you'll bypass the guarding units and make it into the base's flank. This will give you 1-2 turns of nearly-unopposed fire at the turrets themselves while the mechs and LRM carriers reposition. Once those turrets start to get picked off, the balance of strength goes way in your favor. Just make sure to prioritize the LRM carriers the moment they come in range, even if some turrets are still alive.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I don't understand why they give you stock loadout mechs for some of these. Set a tonnage limit and resign to the fact that the players can do better. Hell, set a limit of "no plus" or "no Lostech" and we could probably build better lances.

For this particular mission it's because three of the mechs aren't yours, they are mechs of the local militia piloted by local guys. So it makes 100% sense they are shitty stock mechs, I just wish they had picked some other ineffecient stock mech than that particular Griffin.

I can't really remember any other similar Flashpoint missions with stock mechs. Other than the Tournament of Champions but that's all Urbies all the time, doing it with four Atlas IIs would rather ruin the whole idea. Oh and Yang's Big Score but again the whole point is you are piloting those exact mechs to steal them away. And that one stock Hatchetman in the FP it gets introduced in, and again replacing it would make zero sense. Am I forgetting any?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Advice for the Raven flashpoint final mission:
    Don't approach the base head-on. When the mission starts, if you sprint left under ECM for several rounds, you'll bypass the guarding units and make it into the base's flank. This will give you 1-2 turns of nearly-unopposed fire at the turrets themselves while the mechs and LRM carriers reposition. Once those turrets start to get picked off, the balance of strength goes way in your favor. Just make sure to prioritize the LRM carriers the moment they come in range, even if some turrets are still alive.

The opfor in that mission
    is deliberately missile heavy. And ECM not only provides to-hit penalties for direct LOS missiles, but makes you immune to indirect fire completely. If you all stay within range of the Raven and keep those tall buildings between you and the turrets and tanks, they can't hurt you at all and can be flat out ignored for most of the mission. You can pop out of cover and kill them at your leisure later. I usually just park behind a building and let the few mechs come to me and focus them down as they walk in single file. Mop up the rest with practically no risk after.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The only thing that bugs me about ECM is that it seems like it will be this great thing for later in the game when every fucking mech has LRMs, but every second enemy mech pilot also has Sensor Lock so most of the time you end up exposed to LRM fire anyway.

I swear, the range and indirect fire of LRMs was the worst idea in this game, maybe even worse than the headshots.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Sorry couldn’t make it last night, wasn’t feeling that great and didn’t want that to spill over

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    .... I like the Griffon with the PPC and LRM10. It knows exactly what it is. Bounce around at range and plink away with some heavier hitting stuff.

• Options
    Sorry couldn’t make it last night, wasn’t feeling that great and didn’t want that to spill over

No worries, @Erlkönig saved me and we got more S7 matches in after bailing on the group queue. Lots of lights and medium shenanigans were had in the D6/7 crazy levels. I resisted and did not run my Locusts, but ran one Flea and my MRM10 Urbie.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    They improved the AI for ECM? About time. The Raven so completely broke the AI that I stopped bringing it unless I wanted to cheat.

Yeah, now they'll just run straight for you to break the ECM coverage. I used it to hilarious effect on a light-restricted Flashpoint mission where my Raven was backed up by 3 AC/20 Urbies.

*Enemy light mech runs into ECM bubble*
    *Urbies wave with their small lasers while opening fire with AC/20s*
    *Enemy light mech ceases to exist*

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    .... I like the Griffon with the PPC and LRM10. It knows exactly what it is. Bounce around at range and plink away with some heavier hitting stuff.

Easily overheating mech with big engine it doesn't need since it uses long-range weapons and that does pitiful damage? Yeah, that's exactly what it is. I'd rather have another Javelin.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

Easily overheating mech with big engine it doesn't need since it uses long-range weapons and that does pitiful damage? Yeah, that's exactly what it is. I'd rather have another Javelin.

I tended to use it as a scout ranging far ahead or to the flanks of my lumbering assaults, but yeah, that's accurate.

To be fair though, in my current run I've got my Hatchetman performing that same role loaded up with SRM4++'s, a pair of ML++'s, Four MG's, an Arm Mod+ and a Leg Mod++. Ye gods, I love that thing.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

No worries, Erlkönig saved me and we got more S7 matches in after bailing on the group queue. Lots of lights and medium shenanigans were had in the D6/7 crazy levels. I resisted and did not run my Locusts, but ran one Flea and my MRM10 Urbie.

It also gave me a chance to do something I haven't done in a truly long time: field my stable of Jenners (including that most rare of sights these days: a wild Sarah's Jenner appearing in the arena).

And there was a pitched duel held between a Commando and laser-based Cougar that really was quite the sight to behold!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    So I think I've found a new favorite past time. I've been getting a lot of missions with Locusts. I make a game of it by lining up my shots so strays can hit the others. When my low gunnery pilots fire off a large auto cannon or PPC, I like to see if my main target or his buddy next to him bow up in a flurry of flames and sparks. Never ceases to make me giggle.
    On that note, I think I found the sweet spot in difficulty. Hard, 5 parts per mech, slow exp, normal pilots for hire, stingy cbills, generous salvage, mech destruction. The early game is listing forever. But any time a medium shows up its a combination of terror and excitement. And also of joy and lamenting when I pop a cockpit with a PPC. I was super stoked over getting the final 2 pieces of a SHD-2D. It's a Shadowhawk for Kerenskis sake, But it's a medium! I even found myself buying a final Jenner piece in the store just to have more oomph on the battlefield. The stingy cash really makes you think about purchases. And you really rely on salvage quite a bit because the stores on these backwater planets have nothing and you probably can't afford it anyway.
    I've flown halfway across the periphery just to get to other low skull planets while waiting for all my orange mechs to repair because each battle is brutal. Even had to pull out of a mission when things got dicy. It's tough, but quite rewarding.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

No worries, Erlkönig saved me and we got more S7 matches in after bailing on the group queue. Lots of lights and medium shenanigans were had in the D6/7 crazy levels. I resisted and did not run my Locusts, but ran one Flea and my MRM10 Urbie.

It also gave me a chance to do something I haven't done in a truly long time: field my stable of Jenners (including that most rare of sights these days: a wild Sarah's Jenner appearing in the arena).

And there was a pitched duel held between a Commando and laser-based Cougar that really was quite the sight to behold!

Oh yes. The MRM10 sandblaster Commando versus the laser light show Cougar. Poor Cougar had to back itself into the wall to keep the damage to a minimal. Then waddled out and did a better Twist than Chubby Checkers to stave off death for a long time. Plus the Cougar did disarm the 2SL arm as well.

But there was also the Trebuchet versus Phoenix Hawk battle that the announcer actually commented on your paint job hurting his eyes.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Oh yes. The MRM10 sandblaster Commando versus the laser light show Cougar. Poor Cougar had to back itself into the wall to keep the damage to a minimal. Then waddled out and did a better Twist than Chubby Checkers to stave off death for a long time. Plus the Cougar did disarm the 2SL arm as well.

But there was also the Trebuchet versus Phoenix Hawk battle that the announcer actually commented on your paint job hurting his eyes.

Hey now! He was a Vindicator and he is pretty in bright purple with pink highlights!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Oh right, now I remember... Getting sandblasted to death by a Purple People Eater.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    My med bay is a bit busy these days. This is after a tough base defense and then a disastrous ambush that went horribly wrong. It started off well enough, was able to core out a PHX-1K from behind round 1. From there it was all down hill. Took out an LRM carrier, then a PPC carrier while a fresh Wolverine and CN9-AL just tore me to shreds as i tried to chase down the convoy before it escaped. I made a mistake though. The Striker made it to the evac and sat there. And as soon as i took out the Manticore, the other guy flew off with the drop ship. Fail. And while this was going on I got chipped to pieces. Jenner legged and cored out on the ground. Vindicator PPC arm and torso blown off. Panther legged and hobbling... the whole reason i couldnt get the Striker... ugh. Now almost my entire crew are out. Im shocked my guy survived the coring of the Jenner.
    I guess tier 2 med bay is next once i get some money.

D2Fmtfk.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I made a mistake though. The Striker made it to the evac and sat there. And as soon as i took out the Manticore, the other guy flew off with the drop ship. Fail.

I've done that too. Now I try to take a least one runner with jump jets to go ahead and park in the evac zone to prevent it if the vehicles get past the initial encounter area.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    These days if things are looking like I'm going to get thoroughly mauled and lose the scenario, I'll take the rep hit and withdraw in bad faith. It sucks and sets you behind for rep, but especially early on, having your entire roster of mechs and crew put in the bays for months is crippling. And you may not even have the dosh saved up to wait out the repairs.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I may add this to my forum signature (not me)
    334dq8phgahw.png

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    These days if things are looking like I'm going to get thoroughly mauled and lose the scenario, I'll take the rep hit and withdraw in bad faith. It sucks and sets you behind for rep, but especially early on, having your entire roster of mechs and crew put in the bays for months is crippling. And you may not even have the dosh saved up to wait out the repairs.

I never really paid attention to repair costs since money was never an issue. But fixing my Vindicator for almost 200k hurt

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

A Griffin with a Snubnose PPC and SRMs, OTOH...

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about the site, but wccftech just posted an interview with Alex Gardner about the upcoming MW5M release.

It's honestly the most bullshit-free interview I've ever seen out of PGI, and I like what Alex has to say. Worth a five-minute read.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    htm wrote: »

A Griffin with a Snubnose PPC and SRMs, OTOH...

There's nothing wrong with the chassis and I'll gladly use GRF-1N with SRMs. Just don't like the stock config, is all.

I almost never get to use stock mechs come to think of it. Always using empty mechs -setting means the only time I'm using stock mechs is at the very start of a new career.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    There are a handful of mechs that have decent stock configs, e.g. Shadowhawk, Atlas, Highlander (especially the Lostech variation), Fire Javelin. I want to say maybe a quarter are actually good in their stock config and don’t need much or any changes. Another quarter need moderate changes. Often adding more armor, dropping PPCs, replacing heat heavy armaments with ballistics, etc. another quarter require near total replacement of the armaments to be useful. The last quarter are just garbage chassis—with possible exceptions now due to the COIL weapons.

• Options
    Nips wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the site, but wccftech just posted an interview with Alex Gardner about the upcoming MW5M release.

It's honestly the most bullshit-free interview I've ever seen out of PGI, and I like what Alex has to say. Worth a five-minute read.

Optimist in me likes that it will let you mod it and you can do an endless loop.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    My current career I started with a Jenner and got a coil-L out of the crate. In the early missions I can hit for 140 damage on a single location every 2nd turn and 105 every other turn. Enough to destroy any location it hits on a light.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I also like the stock Griffin load out! Yeah its damage is mediocre, but it can put it out reliably from distance, it's tanky enough to act as a scout/bullet sponge, and if your pilot isn't complete garbage, you're doing sensor damage every turn.

Twice last night when I was playing BT, the AI put two lances together on a battle map such that I activated them both at the same time. Every time that happens it's like a 2 skull mission suddenly becomes a 3.5, especially when I'm only running lower diff missions because all my best pilots are in the med bay. The first time was the worst though where it dropped an enemy reinforcement lance of 2 laser griffins and 2 PPC Vindicators across a valley and they got about 6 rounds of free damage from across the map while I tried to deal with the main lance and kept missing 70% + shots. It definitely felt like the AI was out to get me and fudging rolls.

• Options
    I'm so used to reinforcements in BT that I start hunting for them before engaging the main force.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm so used to reinforcements in BT that I start hunting for them before engaging the main force.

If you don't, you're just asking for the reinforcements to start lobbing LRMs and PPC fire into your back armor the same turn you've engaged too heavily with another lance to withdraw safely. Dealing with reinforcements first is all but mandatory if you don't want to get jumped by two lances at once.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Most of them aren't even reinforcements - they are right there from the beginning of the mission. They could call them flanking force or second lance or whatever, but no they are all 'reinforcements' no matter if they start on the map or appear magically or enter with delay with a warning. The newer missions are far better about it than the old missions from game version 1.0 times, which often just makes it even more annoying when you get one of the old missions and the magical stealth assassin reinforcements de-vanish and start shooting you from behind.

All that said you should expect fighting 2+ lances in most missions. Just have to hope they aren't all coming in one 8-mech megablob.

• Options
    I had 2 Assassinate missions in a row last night, on the same map. Both times, the 'ambush' /reinforcements lance came in from the right hand side and was active right from the start

• Options
    Oh hey! Good news! I'll never have to spend money on fixing the Vindicator, Enforcer or Panther ever again! :(
    Clearly I didn't learn my lesson on the first dumpster fire of an ambush mission and did another one! Bad call. On the plus side, I did complete the contract. But only my Shadowhawk made it to the extraction point. Lost one of my better pilots too.
    Now I have to make due with the Shadowhawk, Vulcan (worthless), my second Panther, a locust I was able to salvage together and pulled my Firestarter out of mothball.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Sometimes the reinforcements are there, sitting idle from the start. Sometimes they warp in, though, based on triggered events. Escort Convoy missions, for example, tend to have warp in reinforcements when the first vehicle reaches the evac site. That can go very, very poorly if your mechs are in the wrong spot at the time.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    My Vulcan with a COIL-M and Quad MG is a goddamn beast, so if you can put together, go for it.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    My Vulcan with a COIL-M and Quad MG is a goddamn beast, so if you can put together, go for it.

I got the Vulcan out of the crate, along with a UAC2 and UAC5. Worthless on low skilled pilots. Best i could do was slap my last PPC in him and threw in a bunch of jumpjets. Its ok...
    My Firestarter on the other hand just strips armor off light mechs with his 5 machine guns.

Just managed to slap together yet another Panther. Slapped in my last 2 ML and an LRM15+ the shop had for sale. I cannot find ML for sale on ANY of the planets i go to. 1.5 skull missions are death traps at this point.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

I got the Vulcan out of the crate, along with a UAC2 and UAC5. Worthless on low skilled pilots. Best i could do was slap my last PPC in him and threw in a bunch of jumpjets. Its ok...
    My Firestarter on the other hand just strips armor off light mechs with his 5 machine guns.

Just managed to slap together yet another Panther. Slapped in my last 2 ML and an LRM15+ the shop had for sale. I cannot find ML for sale on ANY of the planets i go to. 1.5 skull missions are death traps at this point.

There's no basic weapons on sale in any system post 1.8 patch, they all go by the system tags. Mining systems have ACs etc. If you need lasers, go to Navigation and check which systems have them from the tooltips that explain the various tags.

• Options

There's no basic weapons on sale in any system post 1.8 patch, they all go by the system tags. Mining systems have ACs etc. If you need lasers, go to Navigation and check which systems have them from the tooltips that explain the various tags.

For now I have to go where the doable contracts are. Money is tight. I can't be galavanting around the periphery in pursuit of a couple dinky lasers while I have no money coming in. I have to rely on salvage. If I blast off, by the time I get there I won't have any money for the lasers. Or best case, I do, but won't have anything for repairs or monthly financials.

kx3klFE.png