As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Newest seed is suffering. Killing Craftwerk got me Reflector Ray. Which lets me get to... as far as I can tell... just the upper parts of Dian Cecht Cathedral and oh god this sucks trying to get there with what I have.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Newest seed is suffering. Killing Craftwerk got me Reflector Ray. Which lets me get to... as far as I can tell... just the upper parts of Dian Cecht Cathedral and oh god this sucks trying to get there with what I have.

Ah yes, I got that too. Taking on Bloodless was a trip, even with a Valkyrie Sword that dropped from a random chest.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    God, the Tower of Twin Dragons is suffering. Reflector Ray and Dimension Shift are disabled in the 3D wraparound areas, and those are my only means of vertical traversal right now.

I’m actually wondering now if my seed might be unwinnable. I can’t reach certain rooms without double jump or Invert, because the loading zones can’t be reached with a normal jump. And those are rooms that contain potentially major items. Meanwhile, I can’t get to the underground lab without silver bromide, which I don’t know where the hell that is; it could even be in one of those rooms I need to double jump to, but I can’t be sure.

Enlong on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Supposedly any option other than kill Gebel can become unwinnable due to how key items spawn. So yeah, enjoy.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Captain N was this weird bastardization of videogames.

The video game characters were these weird knockoffs.

I appreciate that about it. It’s not like they had much to go on. I have these knock off amiibo cards that have redrawn versions of the characters. The art is pretty good but they’re like weird Chinese knock offs. I love them! Captain N is kind of like that.

However..... why the hell is Mega Man green and King Hippo blue? Why????

I have the same cards. They are the Zelda ones.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Question: This Iga's back pack DLC, is it really one boss and one weapon, because it seems awfully expensive.

Should I be getting Curse of the moon while the sale is on also?

Also I read a burning bookcase and got killed by 8 bit guys. I guess that's where 8 bit coins come from.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Curse of the Moon is a great CV3-like. It's awesome and there's a sequel coming out soon.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Question: This Iga's back pack DLC, is it really one boss and one weapon, because it seems awfully expensive.

Should I be getting Curse of the moon while the sale is on also?

Also I read a burning bookcase and got killed by 8 bit guys. I guess that's where 8 bit coins come from.

You can also find one 8-bit coin in an early chest, and then buy the 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit coins for increasingly absurd amounts of money. I don't know if anything drops the 16 or 32-bit coins.

Yes, Curse of the Moon is pretty great. It plays like an old-style Castlevania game, but with (I think) more consistently good level design and the best way of doing what Dracula's Curse was trying to do with its multiple characters.

From what I can see, the Iga pack is indeed just the bonus boss, and a weapon you get as a reward for it. I'm not sure i'd call it worth the price.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It's probably just me, but why does the main character of these games move so slow? Like, just a slight 10-15% speed boost would be such a nice QoL change. I'm sure it was tested out across various titles, but it drives me bonkers. Go.....FASTER!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It seems like the Iga pack is more like a donation if you are not a backer.

I really wish Bloodstained on gog would drop.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    It's probably just me, but why does the main character of these games move so slow? Like, just a slight 10-15% speed boost would be such a nice QoL change. I'm sure it was tested out across various titles, but it drives me bonkers. Go.....FASTER!

My hope is that so you can feel awesome when you get some kind of speed booster soul. That's in there right? Right?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I always liked how Alucard kind of glided when he moved in SotN.

• Options

My hope is that so you can feel awesome when you get some kind of speed booster soul. That's in there right? Right?

Yes, but it's way late in the game.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular

Isn't there a library book that boosts walking speed too or am I thinking of attack speed?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I always thought slow, prodding movement was basically the staple of a castlevania game. Which bloodstained basically is, but could have moved on from.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    In an Igavania, if your character is facing forward as you move, you're doing it wrong.

Gotta backdash all day every day if you want to move fast.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Non-shard Speed boosters:

The Moon Belt increases your backdash distance.
    The Speed Belt increases walking speed
    Tailwind Tome can be checked out to also increase walking speed.

• Options

Yeah, I think that's how Aria and Dawn were.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, Aria gave you the Black Panther soul only when you unlocked the path to the true ending. The lamp-post with the soul was hidden in the room right after the false final boss.

Enlong on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Remember that mobile multiplayer Castlevania called Grimoire of Souls? Konami just announced that it's closing down in September.

...I didn't even realize it had officially come out in the US. The last I heard, it was available in test markets or something.

edit: yeah, I don't see it in the Android store, I don't think it ever made it out here

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I wish you could output the DS Castlevanias to a TV.

Found this.
    https://youtu.be/HWTxs7bxhi0

Krathoon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Remember that mobile multiplayer Castlevania called Grimoire of Souls? Konami just announced that it's closing down in September.

...I didn't even realize it had officially come out in the US. The last I heard, it was available in test markets or something.

edit: yeah, I don't see it in the Android store, I don't think it ever made it out here
    Wait what the fuck? When was this a thing?

Okay, sorry to bring out the cynical voice, but something tells me Konami wanted to shadow release a Castlevania game and then go "OH LOOK PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE SERIES AFTERALL" to justify keeping it buried. That is super tinfoil hat of me.

The reality is probably a more boring "Konami doesn't give a shit to so much as try."

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Wait what the fuck? When was this a thing?

Okay, sorry to bring out the cynical voice, but something tells me Konami wanted to shadow release a Castlevania game and then go "OH LOOK PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE SERIES AFTERALL" to justify keeping it buried. That is super tinfoil hat of me.

The reality is probably a more boring "Konami doesn't give a shit to so much as try."

You're missing the point. It was a zero effort mobile game to begin with. This game represents the same thing as Metal Gear Survive or Contra Rogue Corps. They'll release games every once in a while, but in this case dead is better.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well I mean, I know that was the point, I'm just shocked at how brazen it is. Man Konami sucks ass. What a fall from grace.

• Options
    At least we have Bloodstained to carry the Castlevania torch.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Man, fuck, I wanted to play that.

• Options
    If Iga wanted to rub salt into the wound (Konami's I mean) he could easily develop a Bloodstained version of that game.

• Options
    Hmm, this girl in the bathtub has killed me. Which I guess is good since the last 3 bosses just dropped on the first try.

It occurs to me that she's probably using more blood on blood cyclones and blood shot than she will recover from my body. These are the things that bother me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Hmm, this girl in the bathtub has killed me. Which I guess is good since the last 3 bosses just dropped on the first try.

It occurs to me that she's probably using more blood on blood cyclones and blood shot than she will recover from my body. These are the things that bother me.

Bloodless is one of the game's tougher fights, IMO.

• Options

Bloodless is one of the game's tougher fights, IMO.

I think that's the fight where I broke and pulled out the Rhava. Maybe the flying sword? Probably just Rhava, don't remember where the sword is. (Also, for all that people talk up Rhava, and yes it's pretty damn good, the Flying Sword/Oracle Blade is the actual best weapon in the game).

• Options
    The second Rhava is damn good, though.

• Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    New Bloodstained is out on Steam! Go Go Go Go Go!

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    The second Rhava is damn good, though.

Still not as good as Oracle Blade. Being able to move while attacking and it reaches across the whole damn screen is pretty hard to beat.

• Options
    I'm curious to hear about what people think about Curse of the Moon 2. I haven't bought it yet, but this morning the reviews were mixed due to some stuttering issues and probably other problems. Seems like it might've been fixed, though?

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    CotM2, likely play it tonight after I do some raids on Destiny. The first one was a pleasant surprise so we'll see what they bring to the table this go around

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to hear about what people think about Curse of the Moon 2. I haven't bought it yet, but this morning the reviews were mixed due to some stuttering issues and probably other problems. Seems like it might've been fixed, though?

I got the Switch version, did the first playthrough and most of the way now through the second, and there's no stutter. It sounds like it was a Steam thing, and was already fixed.

I guess I'll spoiler some thoughts, but there aren't any actual spoilers; just doing so in case people want to go in blind

One thing I do notice, though, is that it doesn't feel quite as precise as the first game. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from switching between characters hoping to use their things together (specifically, I keep trying to use the second characters high jump, switch to the third to get a bounce off the wall, and to the fourth to hover to a higher area) and it is really unreliable. Well, chaining the fourth character into it is, the hover seems to only trigger 1/50 times if I switch between the three, but if I just do the last two I can get it 50/50. It isn't intuitive because the normal hover is triggered either by holding jump or quickly pressing/holding jump again after the initial jump. However if you want to hover after a switch you can't just hold the jump and have to press it again and it sometimes just doesn't feel like it.

Again, I'm not sure if it's a combo I'm not really supposed to be doing, but there's been a couple areas that I'm not seeing any way to get to otherwise, without doing this.

However, I suppose, since (this isn't a spoiler because it's in the fragging trailer) at some point you can play with the original characters, those areas are meant for that? There's certainly some one block paths that none of the characters in the second can get through (too high to crawl with character 3), so...? Then again, maybe there's more than the 4 they revealed? I'm not sure. There also doesn't seem to be an obvious way, or any way at all, to sacrifice the party members before accepting them like in the first game, to power up the main character....but I would assume there has to be a mode to do such because that was a major part of the first game.

Aaanyway, if you like the first one, you'll like this one. Aside from the new characters/abilities, there doesn't feel like a lot new? Different tilesets and all that, but it plays very much the same, with the same general level design, similar pattern based gameplay. Though, I will say that the bosses are a lot more versatile, particularly the second time around (different patterns, entirely new moves) that makes it not just a rote replay. The first boss, in particular (thus far, got a few more left in 2nd run) is considerably harder, the rest have been a lot more intuitive; but once you figure out the trick to each move, it's still just getting the pattern down.

Either way, at, what, $15 (I just bought it without really even looking at the price....), you really can't go wrong if you enjoyed the first one or the classic Castlevania games. Based on the selection when you start a new game it seems there are at least several modes to unlock and probably some other secrets. I never actually went through and did every mode of the first one, maybe I'll do that after this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Finished Episode 1. That last boss was quite a doozy, took me about an hour and 15-20 tries to win.

For the first phase I wore him down quickly with Zangetsu and Hachi, trading damage to end it quick while conserving weapon energy. Then at the start of the second phase I had Dominique use the revival subweapon (there's one in the secret stash below the checkpoint) to heal everyone up. Zangetsu did most of the damage with the ball and chain, although hitting the head with Hachi while hovering next to it contributed a bit to. Had to get in a lot of practice to learn the timing of the various attacks, but in the end I got the hang of efficiently dealing damage while effectively dodging, enough to survive to the end, anyway.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    After setting it aside for over a decade (after failing to beat that fecking crab boss), I have picked up and completed Order of Ecclesia in 2 days.

Is there anything else similar to Ecclesia? Something with more of an emphasis on combat than exploration?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    If Iga wanted to rub salt into the wound (Konami's I mean) he could easily develop a Bloodstained version of that game.

I don't know how well that would work, since part of the hook is having all these different characters from across multiple periods in time coming together.

Bloodstained could duplicate the mechanics, sure, but not the fan service so much.

Incidentally, I've enjoyed what I've played of it, but I need to try pairing a controller with my phone.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    After setting it aside for over a decade (after failing to beat that fecking crab boss), I have picked up and completed Order of Ecclesia in 2 days.

Is there anything else similar to Ecclesia? Something with more of an emphasis on combat than exploration?

Ecclesia Hard mode level 1. Might as well equip that death ring because there is no downside...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀