As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

1848586878890Β»

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 20
    Fry wrote: Β»
    Randomly, I watched a video of someone doing the final boss of CV3 a couple months ago. Apparently, you can actually backtrack from right before Dracula to the previous room, and it makes all the candles reset. So if you take your time, you can grind up a huge supply of hearts before entering the fight. Which is highly relevant, because eg the Axe is great for the fight.

Wish I had known that 30 years ago. I did actually beat the game once back in the day, but only with Grant. Never got to see the other two endings.

I managed to bring down Dracula last night, thanks in large part to this. Thanks @Fry

There is a big heart right at the top and bottom of the stairs. Other than a shameful death when Grant missed the stairs you have plenty of time to stock up on hearts and get shot multipliers if you want them too. You can fill up your hearts but you don't need to. More than 45 hearts is probably overkill. I used Trevor on the first form, then Grant and axes for the next two. For as hard as it is getting to him, his second two forms go down really fast. It seemed like each one of his faces takes separate damage from the axe? I think he was overall harder in the first game.

I always use help me. I think maybe it was in Nintendo Power? I never got past the ghost ship as a kid though. Two bosses at the same time was too much for me.

My wife really wants me to complete with Alucard. "Why did you beat it with this barefoot hunchback?" Alucard didn't even make it onto the box art! Also the castle basement is obnoxious.
    Poor Grant being left out of the animated series really hurt him.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    The dripping floating face thing has IIRC five targets on it that you have to destroy, and it is a massive pain in the ass trying to whip it/staff bonk it/etc to death.

Likewise, the final form is absolutely awful if you have to ride moving platforms just to maybe whip it once or twice, with the constant threat of instant death from holes in the floor in addition to the usual threat of running out of HP.

Grats on beating it! Don't know why your wife wants you to go again with Abraham Lincoln minus the hat though (seriously, Alucard is absurdly tall in this one). Other than the navigation help you get from bat form, he's really bad in this because he has no offense to speak of even IF you go to the effort to get him "whip" upgrades.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yes, without the axe it would be rough but since they are so kind as to start you in the block before him when you die, you can always have the axe. Castlevania one Drac would be much worse if he didn't have holy water in his room for some reason.

Symphony of the Night is the first and only Castlevania game she has beaten thus far and she did enjoy the animated series quite a bit.

He is pretty awful in this game though and as bad as the ghost ship/tower/bridge route is the castle basement is even worse. The bat form is nice, but it seems like Grant is much more maneuverable and useful in any situation you would use bat form in except for long flights over pits which only occur on Alucard's route anyways. Why in the world can't he attack on the stairs?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Yes, without the axe it would be rough but since they are so kind as to start you in the block before him when you die, you can always have the axe. Castlevania one Drac would be much worse if he didn't have holy water in his room for some reason.

Symphony of the Night is the first and only Castlevania game she has beaten thus far and she did enjoy the animated series quite a bit.

He is pretty awful in this game though and as bad as the ghost ship/tower/bridge route is the castle basement is even worse. The bat form is nice, but it seems like Grant is much more maneuverable and useful in any situation you would use bat form in except for long flights over pits which only occur on Alucard's route anyways. Why in the world can't he attack on the stairs?

AVGN did a pretty good job summing up my feelings on Castlevania 3 (starting at the 7:05 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrLdIiW6bEo

Especially the part where he says "if there's any game that puts you in a bad mood...it's Castlevania 3". Nailed it.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Luckily he is wrong and it doesn't start you at the beginning of the stage it starts you at the second block, which skips the awful bird-auto-scroller-breaking floor bone pillar rooms. Dumping you at the start of the stage is one of the reasons I never finished Ninja Gaiden.

I think they may have inadvertently made the US version easier in that aspect as the axe is great on Dracula, and you aren't locked out from getting it.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT πŸ’ Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    V Rising is crossing over with Castlevania this May:
    https://youtu.be/rPrINI85szg

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Now if only V Rising had controller support.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Before I even watch that, is V Rising yet another roguelike thing?

• Options
    What is V Rising?
    From the graphic I was hoping it was the next season of the anime.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 27
    What is V Rising?

It's a survival game with vampires.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    Dirty wrote: Β»
    Before I even watch that, is V Rising yet another roguelike thing?
    What is V Rising?

It's a top down survival crafting game with vampires. If you can imagine Vampire: The Dark Age crossed with Valheim, you'll get within the ballpark. Build bases, craft weapons, explore new zones for stronger resources, etc. The vampire thing puts its own spin on a lot of the elements though. You're not terribly concerned about food and water obviously. But your choice of who you feed on matters as different targets grant you different classes of buff and in differing potency. Sometimes you're just starving and need to deal with it though. And sometimes the 100% potency dude you were saving for last in hopes of mentally dominating him to keep in your base as cattle runs over a fire set by his archer buddy's explosive arrow or triggers the aggro of a bear, bandit pack, or treant.

While most survival games with a day/night cycle have night being the scary time, here it's reversed. Going into batform to fly during the daytime is a very bad idea. As a general rule, your only real survival concerns are blood reserve and sunlight so there's less to keep track and no inventory juggling around those but they're still very impactful.

Progression largely involves tracking and hunting stronger and stronger boss enemies to absorb powers and knowledge from them. Or for some of them, having them stumble on you as they patrol at an inconvenient time. As a vampire, your default speed and strength are portrayed as beyond a human's so a lot of things like resource collecting and combat move at a faster pace than most games in the genre.

The Early Access releases have been hits among people who enjoy the genre. It hasn't been perfect by any means (minion resource missions aren't really useable in the single player mode), but there's been a decent sized group here that hops on a server during new content updates.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Known about this one for a while, but a new trailer just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlK0KnRLmTg&ab_channel=IGN

Blasphemous, but with a lady this time. Looks good, I'm down! The main mechanic is a magic sword that you can throw and teleport to. Hope it's more combat that puzzle platformer, I prefer the former.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Islets looks like a nice enough Metroidvania for free from Epic this week.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Been playing The Last Faith and it is fantastic. It combines some Bloodborne with Blasphemous almost perfectly. I also really like the voice acting and creepy as fuck characters.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Wallachia Reign of Dracula is currently on sale.
    I haven't tried it myself and reviews seem mixed, but it looks like it might please old school Castlevania fans:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1189780/Wallachia_Reign_of_Dracula/

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: Β»
    You are in luck!
    V Rising 1.0 update (May 8th) feature reveal:
    https://playvrising.com/launch-update
    GAMEPAD SUPPORT
    It’s finally here! Introducing gamepad support for PC, offering a new hands-on, action-packed V Rising experience. Including a reimagined HUD user interface crafted specifically for gamepad enthusiasts, ensuring a seamless and immersive gameplay journey.

Also, the Castlevania crossover will include some paid skins:
    ymqbxn8djqsc.jpg

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: Β»
    Kalnaur wrote: Β»
    You are in luck!
    V Rising 1.0 update (May 8th) feature reveal:

https://playvrising.com/launch-update
    GAMEPAD SUPPORT
    It’s finally here! Introducing gamepad support for PC, offering a new hands-on, action-packed V Rising experience. Including a reimagined HUD user interface crafted specifically for gamepad enthusiasts, ensuring a seamless and immersive gameplay journey.

Also, the Castlevania crossover will include some paid skins:
    ymqbxn8djqsc.jpg

Hell yes. Going back on the wishlist.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur