As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ranger Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yaknow, speaking of Gondor, it feels like every other time I eat chicken wings I get anxious that Billy Boyd is gonna start singing Edge of Night from across the room

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    albertans are cold texans, australians are texans surrounded by more dangerous flora and fauna

i try to tell people that king of the hill is straight up a biography of where I grew up

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hold up, where are all the half-naked pictures of the sexiest ranger, the Ford Ranger?!?

Ooooh baby:

69qbqucncav3ffvk6jmoaklc8.jpg

Oh yeah, shake what your mother gave you:

Ford-Ranger-CabChassis-2015-1.jpg

Hnnnngrgh, back that ass up:

14231853525a84c613ef342304748827_700_467-c.jpg

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    That baby is clearly lacking in back

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's half naked, Veldrin!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just wonder how many forumers are just the most confused.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    i dont trust this

You fail to aid the people of Rohan for one whole Age and everyone acts like Rangers are gonna do ya dirty eh

thanks letterkenny

i tell you hwat tho albertans are basically cold texans

Ya know I would pay good money for the Letterkenny folks to do their schitk but about like Lord of the Rings

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hold up, where are all the half-naked pictures of the sexiest ranger, the Ford Ranger?!?

Ooooh baby:

Holy shit, does Ford ship the Ranger overseas? I haven't seen a "newish" looking Ranger here in the states since like, 04. F-150s have just totally permeated the roads.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    It's half naked, Veldrin!

All cars are naked!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Ford Rangers went away for a while, but they're coming back.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Thank Christ. The Ranger is an actual decent Ford product!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Ooooh baby:

Holy shit, does Ford ship the Ranger overseas? I haven't seen a "newish" looking Ranger here in the states since like, 04. F-150s have just totally permeated the roads.

We're just too Puritan overe here in the states, need 'em fully dressed

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I think the US might even be getting a Raptor version. But don't quote me on it.

sig.gif
  • Options

Oh come on now, the Mustang is fine, the Transit is fine, the Focus is fine, even the Fiesta is fine (just get the manual gearbox in the Focus and fiesta to be sure).

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

does that mean it only gets recalled 4 or 5 times a year instead of the standard ford 12?
    Oh come on now, the Mustang is fine, the Transit is fine, the Focus is fine, even the Fiesta is fine (just get the manual gearbox in the Focus and fiesta to be sure).

as the former owner of a focus, I disagree. at the time it died (less than 4 years and less than 100k), the only thing that hadn't broken on it was the seats.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    my choice of pasttime/hobby has rendered me utterly incapable of hearing the word ranger and thinking of anything but the power rangers

has anyone done fan art of Aragorn as a power ranger

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

I think the US might even be getting a Raptor version. But don't quote me on it.

There will be a Raptor'd ranger apparently, though with a rather underwhelming engine.

The Ford Ranger (and other similarly sized pickups) is one of the largest vehicles (that isn't a lorry or bus or whatever) that you regularly encounter on our roads. Its crazy that you americans consider it a little truck!

Berwicks football team is Berwick Rangers, and are the only team based in England that play in the Scottish league system. Berwick itself changed hands many times between the kingdoms of England and Scotland due to its place on the border, and was at war with Russia for over a century (kinda).

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    There's an interesting story behind Ford and Chevy completely dominating the pick-up truck market in the US.

The real reason you don't see any foreign made pick-ups in America is called the "Chicken Tax"

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    You missed the best and most important ranger

555ae60b9769a49dbfaafe2519c1d474--babylon--walk-in.jpg

fuck

yes

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    There is also the Night Ranger

I hear they're motorin'

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Yeah you're right, the Fiesta is fine. I am...not as sure of the others.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

does that mean it only gets recalled 4 or 5 times a year instead of the standard ford 12?

as the former owner of a focus, I disagree. at the time it died (less than 4 years and less than 100k), the only thing that hadn't broken on it was the seats.

Sounds like you got a lemon. Sorry.

• Options

There will be a Raptor'd ranger apparently, though with a rather underwhelming engine.

The Ford Ranger (and other similarly sized pickups) is one of the largest vehicles (that isn't a lorry or bus or whatever) that you regularly encounter on our roads. Its crazy that you americans consider it a little truck!

Berwicks football team is Berwick Rangers, and are the only team based in England that play in the Scottish league system. Berwick itself changed hands many times between the kingdoms of England and Scotland due to its place on the border, and was at war with Russia for over a century (kinda).

Certain folks think the Raptor engine is "underwhelming", for sure. I'm willing to bet they haven't driven it. Sure it's a 2 litre 4 cylinder, a downsize from the 3.2 litre 5 cylinder available in other models. But it makes more power and torque than that same 3.2 litre 5 cylinder engine.
    It's got the torque curve of a big-block V8, though. Most turbodiesel engines in small vehicles have very peaky power delivery, there's nothing until about 1500 RPM, then it's all over by 2500 RPM. This new motor has a torque curve that's big just off idle, and stays big until 4000 RPM.
    Better fuel economy, too.

• Options
    Also I believe the American Ranger Raptor is getting a V6?

• Options
    The new Ranger looks like a heck of a truck, sadly right now I don't have New Truck Money (plus once I find and resolve an electrical gremlin with the headlights, my Subaru ute should be good for years to come)

• Options
    I heard from someone that Ford is making the Raptors themselves now and not some independent company they just did business with? If that's true, will it have the same level of QC?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I want an electric light pickup. No one makes light pickups anymore. They're all massive 60k+ monstrosities with V8s.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I want an electric light pickup. No one makes light pickups anymore. They're all massive 60k+ monstrosities with V8s.

You can still snag work truck style single or extra cab Silverados for around 30k if you hunt for a deal on a prior year model. You can get the v8 which is within 1mpg of the v6. and 4x4 while not being as long as a bus.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    tacomas still getting made?

they're a solid and affordable light pickup

• Options
    edited May 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Tacoma have been mid sized since the mid 00's. The newer ones are pretty big. They are affordable though.

I don't get why you can't get a single cab anymore though. I'll never have more than 2 people in my truck.

TheStig on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Tacoma have been mid sized since the mid 00's. The newer ones are pretty big. They are affordable though.

I don't get why you can't get a single cab anymore though. I'll never have more than 2 people in my truck.

Market forces. Single cabs don't sell except for fleet sales. The best new old truck currently is is the pathfinder. They haven't done any major updates since 2011 or so.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm so happy this is still a thing

• Options
    It's an absolute shame they don't market the Hilux in the states. It's Toyota's equivalent of the Ranger and it's a real nice truck from everything I've read.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

Certain folks think the Raptor engine is "underwhelming", for sure. I'm willing to bet they haven't driven it. Sure it's a 2 litre 4 cylinder, a downsize from the 3.2 litre 5 cylinder available in other models. But it makes more power and torque than that same 3.2 litre 5 cylinder engine.
    It's got the torque curve of a big-block V8, though. Most turbodiesel engines in small vehicles have very peaky power delivery, there's nothing until about 1500 RPM, then it's all over by 2500 RPM. This new motor has a torque curve that's big just off idle, and stays big until 4000 RPM.
    Better fuel economy, too.

Oh I don't doubt its performance, and it'll keep it an attractive proposition for commercial users due is economy, but as the age of the internal combustion engine wanes* there will be fewer oppurtunites to push the boat out. The V6 would have been a reasonable compromise I'd have thought.

*Which I get fully as being better for the environment in every possible sense

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm finally starting to actually see current-gen Ford Rangers out in the wild in the States now, but they're not nearly as numerous as Tacomas (hot take: the Taco might be a better truck than the Hilux) and the Chevy Colorado yet

The Colorado and Ranger are, weirdly, more international trucks than the one from the Japanese brand

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    My neighbor has a '91 Ranger he got when it was brand new, he's put 300k miles on it and said he hasn't changed out the timing belt. It's been sitting in his backyard for about a year now, he turns it on and drives it around the block every couple weeks just to keep it going. Early 90s pickups were practically indestructible, it seems!

• Options
    My neighbor has a '91 Ranger he got when it was brand new, he's put 300k miles on it and said he hasn't changed out the timing belt. It's been sitting in his backyard for about a year now, he turns it on and drives it around the block every couple weeks just to keep it going. Early 90s pickups were practically indestructible, it seems!

Most of those from that era, Japanese and American alike, are basically the same vehicle in most respects (and in a few cases like Chevy/Isuzu, literally so!)

So long as the frames don't rust and a few critical systems don't get overworked, 90s light pickups are about as simple as cars got in that era

• Options
    My 84 Chevy Scottsdale had like 200k on it before it started burning oil and was more expensive to fix than it was worth. I miss bench seats.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    USS Ranger (CV-4) was the very first aircraft carrier designed to be such for the United States Navy, incorporating a variety of lessons learned from the USN's first aircraft carrier, USS Langley (which was converted from an existing collier hull), and launched in 1934. She was on the smaller side for a carrier, and as launched lacked the superstructure island that would come to dominate CV designs the world over, though one would be added prior to her entering service.

Launch_of_USS_Ranger_%28CV-4%29_at_Newport_News_Shipbuilding_on_25_February_1933_%2880-G-1007392%29.jpg
    USS Ranger touches water for the first time, 1933. Note her flight deck still under construction. Her two forward elevators are either lowered or not yet installed.

Ranger was purposefully designed to be smaller than previous carriers USS Lexington and USS Saratoga, in order to comply with the Washington Naval Treaty. Her tonnage was selected to allow five carriers of similar design, though ultimately her design was not reused and she did not have any sisters, though the later Yorktown class was very similar.

The ship included a semi open-air hangar deck, a design typical of aircraft carriers of this period, which allowed aircraft to be fueled and armed prior to being raised to the flight deck, allowing faster launching and recovery of planes, even while in battle. Ranger's weight limitations prevented the ship from having adequate armor or engines, resulting in a slower, more vulnerable design.

USS_Ranger_%28CV-4%29%2C_USS_Lexington_%28CV-2%29_and_USS_Saratoga_%28CV-3%29_at_anchor_off_Honolulu_on_8_April_1936_%28NNAM.1996.488.001.012%29.jpg
    The three modern United States Navy aircraft carriers, 1936. USS Ranger in the foreground, alongside USS Lexington, and USS Saratoga.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor and the United States entering World War II, USS Ranger was assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, where she would become the largest carrier in that fleet. Her smaller and lighter design was considered more appropriate to the far less threatening German Kriegsmarine, whereas the larger fleet carriers, including the legendary USS Enterprise, would be assigned to the Pacific to fight the Imperial Japanese Navy.

USS_Ranger_%28CV-4%29_underway_at_sea_during_the_later_1930s.jpg
    USS Ranger at sea. Her open hangar deck is quite visible here, along with her six smokestacks. These were designed to pivot during aircraft operations, venting smoke away from planes and crew. Like other such attempts on other ships, this was only somewhat effective. Note also an early radar dome atop her island.

Ranger carried out a number of operations against Vichy France-controlled ports and naval assets as part of Operation Torch, culminating in a battle against Jean Bart, a Vichy French battleship which was under construction at the time and only partially operational. Jean Bart was struck by multiple airstrikes launched from Ranger and was sunk in her own harbor, removing her as a threat and hobbling the Vichy navy.

After a training and overhaul in early 1943, Ranger departed Virginia and returned to North Africa to deliver additional aircraft to the US Army Air Corps, before heading to the north Atlantic to join the Royal Navy's Home Fleet to participate in the hunt for KMS Tirpitz, the sole remaining German battleship. (I'm technically lying here, but A nobody cares about Gneisenau, and B, she was under repairs at the time and said repairs would be abandoned within a few months.) At this time, the captain of the German submarine U-404 reported to his command that he had successfully torpedoed and sunk Ranger, despite her being quite afloat. This news was quickly reported throughout Germany and broadcast on civilian radio. This captain would be personally awarded a medal by Hitler himself. After confirming that Ranger was quite alive and well in Norway, Allied Command had Captain Gordon Rowe broadcast the following:

"The story that we were sunk was a coward's trick—spreading anxiety and fear among the innocent.... The next day we issued a denial and ... on October 4 we spread panic and chaos in the Norwegian shipping lanes. Only one thing we regret. We kept looking for the Tirpitz but either she wouldn't or couldn't come out.... Meanwhile the Ranger, still very much afloat, is doing her job."

Following this, the carrier participated in the destruction of German civilian shipping, sinking several transport vessels. By 1944 she was badly outclassed by more modern carriers and reassigned to New England to serve as a training carrier, with a couple of supply runs to North Africa to bring additional aircraft there. Plans were made to retrofit Ranger with more armor, better engines, and an expansion of her hanger to allow for more aircraft, but the expense was ultimately considered too high. Some limited upgrades were installed however, including newer catapults and better radar, allowing her to be used for night operations. Ranger sailed for the Pacific Ocean to serve as a training vessel for pilots preparing to engage the Japanese.

USS_Ranger_%28CV-4%29_in_Panama_Canal_1945.jpeg
    USS Ranger transiting through the Panama Canal, 1945. Note the big 4 painted on her flight deck.

She was too late. Although she served as a training vessel, Ranger would never be deployed in an active combat role again. She gained the dubious record of being the only pre-war USN CV to never engage the Japanese in battle. After the war, the ship would continue to serve as a training vessel until she was decommissioned on October 18th, 1946. She was sold for scrap and broken up in early 1947.

Ten years later, in 1957, a new USS Ranger (CV-61), the eighth United States Navy ship of that name, would launch, becoming the largest aircraft carrier in the world at that time.