As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    super bummed

I get my stimulus money finally tomorrow but by now all the parts for a new PC are all being gouged by third party sellers. So much so that a build that would have been around 1100 which I could swing, is now closer to 2000, Which I don't have.

What's your current setup?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    super bummed

I get my stimulus money finally tomorrow but by now all the parts for a new PC are all being gouged by third party sellers. So much so that a build that would have been around 1100 which I could swing, is now closer to 2000, Which I don't have.

Just bank the money and wait a few months, it'll go back closer to normal.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    super bummed

What's your current setup?

Sandy bridge I5 2400
    Gtx970
    16 gigs ddr3
    No ssd just two platter drives

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    super bummed

Save it and upgrade when things get better.

If things don't get better, then you'll be glad you have that money.
    Sandy bridge I5 2400
    Gtx970
    16 gigs ddr3
    No ssd just two platter drives

Well, that's still a basically competent rig. You have a good amount of RAM, which makes up for a lot, and that's a decent video card.

Maybe see if you can get a 250 or 500Gb SSD now? It really makes a startling difference in general use. I take it that your board doesn't have an NVME slot? Even a 2.5" SATA will be a very perceptible upgrade over any platter drive, and you can repurpose it when you do your "real" upgrade.

V1m on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    IMO, going from a platter to *any* SSD is a much larger upgrade than going from a SATA SSD to a NVME SSD.

• Options
    Yes absolutely, although I suspect that software has barely started to really take advantage of NVME's capabilities.

Sony are making a big deal about their super fast SSD in the PS5. Maybe we'll see improved techniques, I dunno.

However I love my EVO 970 boot drive, and I wouldn't want to give it up. Going from POST to password in 5 seconds is something you get used to needing really quick.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yeah, I'd just grab a decent 1TB SSD on sale, even if you don't use it as primary on the next machine, it will make good storage.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Re: topic of this thread, can someone explain to me how the timer on my microwave suddenly started going up instead of down?

Like, I have the kind with a gauge you turn and it rotates back to zero. It's now increasing instead.

Magic, man.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You have it upside down.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Is it still making cold stuff hot, or the other way around? See if you can get it to unscramble an egg.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Is it still making cold stuff hot, or the other way around? See if you can get it to unscramble an egg.

2r8affkk9wfv.jpg

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I still don't get that joke

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Upgrading my graphic card has lead to me completely upgrading my whole computer... Newegg's spring sale and being in lockdown has broke my frugal tendencies.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

You of in the cold food of out hot eat the food

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yo gang, just putting the finishing touches on my Thesis study project on IoT security and here are my finding. yes they are obvious, but I have DATA to back them up:

Buy higher end, name brand stuff, don't get the cheap knock offs

If you can enable two factor authentication

for the love of god change your default passwords and make them complex

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

You of in the cold food of out hot eat the food

This actually makes sense to me.

"You put the food in cold, take it out hot, and eat it."

Just like, run through google translate twenty times.

edit: also "of in"=oven but "of out" ≠ oven

Weaver on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I knew you were a robot

I knew it

• Options
    I knew you were a robot

I knew it

https://giphy.com/gifs/rIq6ASPIqo2k0/html5

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's an anti-joke, the humor is in how thoroughly the joke doesn't work

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Yo. My head actually hurt trying to parse that.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

i honestly had to scroll up and back down like 3 times just to transcribe it, it's perfectly phrased to short circuit the brain

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

i honestly had to scroll up and back down like 3 times just to transcribe it, it's perfectly phrased to short circuit the brain

... oh great. Snowcrash really IS here.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Out hot eat the food is what gets me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    but why jon thick as hell

• Options
    Jon’s supposed to be a self insert so I dunno why Jim Davis lovingly rendered his buttocks in that shot but it’s probably significant

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    What got me is that there's no punctuation which makes reading the sentence feel like having a stroke.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Anyone in the market for a new computer?

World's "FASTEST" Gaming PC!
    https://youtu.be/IUyrlM1qkGU

And yes, you can actually buy it for ~$15k US.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Jon’s supposed to be a self insert so I dunno why Jim Davis lovingly rendered his buttock in that shot but it’s probably significant

Fixed.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    that is an excellent point
    jon's posterior is rounded and smooth with no obvious rectal opening
    we must therefore assume it is completely decorative and excretion is handled elsewhere. It is possible he possesses a discretely positioned anal pore somewhere else on his body, but my preferred theory is that Jon's internal organisation consists of a single gastrovascular cavity, and Jon is not human but perhaps an unusually complex mutation of flatworm (further evidenced by his lack of visual ageing in the last forty years). In this essay, I will -

tynic on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    we must therefore assume it is completely decorative and excretion is handled elsewhere. It is possible he possesses a discretely positioned anal pore somewhere else on his body, but my preferred theory is that Jon's internal organisation consists of a single gastrovascular cavity, and Jon is not human but perhaps an unusually complex mutation of flatworm (further evidenced by his lack of visual ageing in the last forty years). In this essay, I will -

dx2ob0euvm0x.gif

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Moving on

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Do you think his butthole was cut after the fact, like in Cats?

• Options
    Petition Jim Davis to release the anatomically correct Garfield merch?
    Also I honestly thought this was the Sasquatch thread for a while there. That's a thread which appreciates a good butthole inspection.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Petition Jim Davis to release the anatomically correct Garfield merch?
    Also I honestly thought this was the Sasquatch thread for a while there. That's a thread which appreciates a good butthole inspection.

Big feet, narrow sphincter.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    It's not obvious, because, stay with me here

He's wearing pants.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Is this the comic thread?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    It's not obvious, because, stay with me here

He's wearing pants.

weaver has no butt cleft, got it.
    ... man that would be awesome for reducing wedgie incidents.

This discussion has been closed.