As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Almost every EU story is completely revamping a character who had zero character development (Boba Fett) or trotting out fan favorite characters to say they had no idea they were being cloned/their children turned to the dark side/the emperor never really died/Luke learning some bogus new Force power late game. People always say the EU needs to be saved, but it's like the 30% percent with actually new, well written characters (or blank canvases that they were able to breathe life into like the bounty hunters) that's salvageable.. and even that might be a generous percentage.

Also it's a bit much to expect the heroes of the OT to exist only as the same exact person they were 40 years ago, never growing or changing, just staying the same with the same motivations and never having any off-screen conflict or character development. Just because a character encounters hardship in their arc, does not make them abject failures but simply more human characters... Because humans fail, even ones with space magic. And nevermind the fact there's probably at least 20 solid years of Han, Luke and Leia having standard Star Warsian adventure before the fall of Luke's new Jedi summer camp.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Almost every EU story is completely revamping a character who had zero character development (Boba Fett) or trotting out fan favorite characters to say they had no idea they were being cloned/their children turned to the dark side/the emperor never really died/Luke learning some bogus new Force power late game. People always say the EU needs to be saved, but it's like the 30% percent with actually new, well written characters (or blank canvases that they were able to breathe life into like the bounty hunters) that's salvageable.. and even that might be a generous percentage.

Also it's a bit much to expect the heroes of the OT to exist only as the same exact person they were 40 years ago, never growing or changing, just staying the same with the same motivations and never having any off-screen conflict or character development. Just because a character encounters hardship in their arc, does not make them abject failures but simply more human characters... Because humans fail, even ones with space magic. And nevermind the fact there's probably at least 20 solid years of Han, Luke and Leia having standard Star Warsian adventure before the fall of Luke's new Jedi summer camp.

By EU I meant the new non-mainline content, which is more hit than miss IMO.

And I don't expect the characters to live blissful happily ever after lives, but they all got it HARD in ways that betray the character development they ended the OT on. I saw this on reddit earlier, and other than a bit of whining about Rey's competence I felt it hard. https://i.redd.it/60rnsq7x9k141.jpg

The mainline Star Wars movies, as it stands, are actually quite negative in tone; evil consistently wins and every gain by the heroes is shortlived in the face of personal flaws, societal flaws, and the unending supply of evil in the galaxy. Which almost makes sense; there are a lot of people who think Star Wars is at its best when the villains are crushing the heroes, i.e. Empire for the OT and Revenge for the PT.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Please please please please let Palpatine be a cackling time traveling head on mechanical spiderlegs at the climax of the film he uses tachyon beams out of his mouth to embiggen himself and its like the climax of Wild Wild West but with a titanic cackling Palpatine head

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

By EU I meant the new non-mainline content, which is more hit than miss IMO.

And I don't expect the characters to live blissful happily ever after lives, but they all got it HARD in ways that betray the character development they ended the OT on. I saw this on reddit earlier, and other than a bit of whining about Rey's competence I felt it hard. https://i.redd.it/60rnsq7x9k141.jpg

The mainline Star Wars movies, as it stands, are actually quite negative in tone; evil consistently wins and every gain by the heroes is shortlived in the face of personal flaws, societal flaws, and the unending supply of evil in the galaxy. Which almost makes sense; there are a lot of people who think Star Wars is at its best when the villains are crushing the heroes, i.e. Empire for the OT and Revenge for the PT.

It wasn't all rainbows sunshine lollipops and unicorns after the Empire fell, but surely things would be much worse if the heroes of the OT hadn't saved the day. It's not a hollow and meaningless victory just because things go sideways again 40 years later.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Its a very common trope in fantasy that after the heroes save the world(s), another calamity arises that required the next generation of heroes to rise up and save the world(s) again from another/returned threat.

I think the fact that our OG heroes are not living it up happily ever after is a refreshing change and a nice dose of believability in an ongoing story. I like to think that for a good 10 or 20 years of that 34 year gap between ROTJ and TFA, that maybe things were really good for Luke and Co. Then real life takes over. Wise academic Luke suffers a career mishap and sends him on a sabbatical far away from family and friends. His sister's marriage couldn't survive the hard left turn their only child took in life. These things are very common IRL. Star Wars is not necessarily that kind of Disney movie.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Btw Midichlorians ARE NOT the force itself. They are just symbiotic force-sensitive organisms that live in creatures and help them interact with and sense the force. The force resides in all things, including droids.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    And like, midichlorians themselves I guess. Do midichlorians have smaller midichlorians

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

90% of everything is crap.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I think the problem is that they are in literally the same situation they were in 40 years ago. Nothing is particularly different.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean, I think the problem is that they are in literally the same situation they were in 40 years ago. Nothing is particularly different.

It's not like we don't rehash the same few wars in real life every couple of decades...

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Its a very common trope in fantasy that after the heroes save the world(s), another calamity arises that required the next generation of heroes to rise up and save the world(s) again from another/returned threat.

I think the fact that our OG heroes are not living it up happily ever after is a refreshing change and a nice dose of believability in an ongoing story.
    You know what we really need? Lord of the Rings 2. Frodo can get kicked out of Valinor for not being elfy enough, and go back to Middle Earth. Elanor the Fair can get tapped to bring a *new* ring back to the fires of Mount Doom, and she can go to Frodo for help but he's super grumpy and won't help her. When she decides to do it anyway, Frodo can change his mind only to get killed by Hamfast, who has become an agent of the Enemy through the machinations of what we originally think is Alatar the Blue. Sam can get killed by Hamfast during an emotion confrontation in Mt. Doom 2, and Merry can watch all their friends die one by one. In the final chapter, we'll find out it's actually an echo of Sauron manipulating the whole thing.

After all, why let OG heroes live happily ever after?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I don't know if you watched the same movie as I did if you think Frodo got a happy ending

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I don't know if you watched the same movie as I did if you think Frodo got a happy ending

Frodo’s ending is, “Master Frodo had a hard war.” He’s the fictional echo of all the functional but broken men Tolkien knew from his war.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

The idea is that a sequel to LotR would suck, and that Frodo doesnt need a continuation, we saw the end of his story, that was enough of that.

Basically, the sequel trilogy was poorly constructed, and suffered from dragging the OT characters into the stage, to perform ONE nostalgia trick, in the most cinical way, before being tossed aside. Thats why Rogue Squadron was the best of the new movies, it had less baggage.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I think the fact that our OG heroes are not living it up happily ever after is a refreshing change and a nice dose of believability in an ongoing story.
    You know what we really need? Lord of the Rings 2. Frodo can get kicked out of Valinor for not being elfy enough, and go back to Middle Earth. Elanor the Fair can get tapped to bring a *new* ring back to the fires of Mount Doom, and she can go to Frodo for help but he's super grumpy and won't help her. When she decides to do it anyway, Frodo can change his mind only to get killed by Hamfast, who has become an agent of the Enemy through the machinations of what we originally think is Alatar the Blue. Sam can get killed by Hamfast during an emotion confrontation in Mt. Doom 2, and Merry can watch all their friends die one by one. In the final chapter, we'll find out it's actually an echo of Sauron manipulating the whole thing.

Because "and they lived happily ever after" has been done to death, is uninteresting, and frankly unrealistic. Not every story needs to be done that way. Your real criticism is you don't like tragedies, which is fine, but I think that's more a preference on your part than a flaw with the story telling.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

Because "and they lived happily ever after" has been done to death, is uninteresting, and frankly unrealistic. Not every story needs to be done that way. Your real criticism is you don't like tragedies, which is fine, but I think that's more a preference on your part than a flaw with the story telling.

While True, JJ dragging us back to where the OT started to tell that story again is also uninteresting.

Hopefully future directors take us in actual new directions. Rather than just reusing the template.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

Instead of that shitbird answer (I kid! :) ), why don't we try looking at it this way instead?

LOTR is the story of how a new generation of heroes in Middle Earth need to rise up and, once again, defeat the evil lord of Mordor Sauron. You know, because its been done before. Isildur cut off his finger and (somehow, I don't remember how) his evil spirit was confined to that spooky ass castle in the Murkwood. Generations pass, and then some unlikely hobbits now need to save the world.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    LotR is a terrible example because yeah, it is the sequel that comes back and analyzes the world of the Hobbit through a bleaker light, and has the main character of that come back and reveal that he didn't really live happily ever after and is dealing with some real lingering shit.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Preferring Star Wars with happy endings is just a preference thing, I'll agree, but the idea that tragedies are a fresh approach to fiction is sorta hilarious.

Most of my favorite fiction's ended up being cartoons because anything that's well-written and live-action's also going to be a tragedy unless it's a comedy.

Kamar on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Frodo's ending is basically that Simpsons joke. "I'm confused, is this a happy ending or a sad ending?" "It's an ending. That's enough."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The galaxy resetting to being back in the control of Empire 2.0 was eye-rollingly unoriginal and stale to me. The point of the Rebellion was that you had a galaxy of beings who were being oppressed by brute force and they still managed to put together an effective resistance by slipping ships out the back door while distracting Stormtroopers. The Republic kept peace and order for several thousand years, then supposedly the galaxy wanted it tossed out on its ass because of the Clone Wars. So then the Empire rolls around and it only takes people a couple decades to go "shit, this was a really terrible idea and way worse than before". So we get the Rebellion and overthrow the Empire, but somehow there's a massive enough chunk of the galaxy immediately waxing nostalgic about the Empire to be able to put together another empire capable of taking over the galaxy?

There was utterly no fucking reason to revisit the Empire situation with another generation, other than simple bland, lazy unoriginality. At least move the setting forward a couple hundred years or have a new threat that fits the setting, like a Sith army that was chilling in deep space and is now sweeping through the galaxy effectively unopposed because there are no Jedi to stop them. Anything but just rewinding to all the shit that the setting just dealt with and acting like it's an interesting or original idea.

• Options

While True, JJ dragging us back to where the OT started to tell that story again is also uninteresting.

Hopefully future directors take us in actual new directions. Rather than just reusing the template.

Agreed. The biggest issue I think with the ST is the retreading. I get they were trying to reboot the brand after the PT, but it was a little on the nose. TLJ did a better job being its own thing but still cribs too much from both Empire and Jedi.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That sentiment doesn’t really track for me. This isn’t Star Trek. Luke isn’t just going to retire to manage the family vineyard. He has chosen a take part in a mission that will not end. He almost got to Yoda his way out. Almost. But there just isn’t a retirement plan for the Rebellion. There isn’t even a Rivendell anywhere. If you’re lucky, you live on a ship. In fact, just about the safest place there is in Star Wars is a ship that is always going somewhere else.

It is a little sobering that anytime the good guys win they get about as far as throwing a really big party for everyone before shit starts going sideways again.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    There was never any suggestion from the OT that everybody was just going to live a happy Disney-ending life with no difficulties after the Empire went down. Luke is now officially the last Jedi and faces the lifelong task of rebuilding the Jedi order, or at least getting the rebuilding process started, so that something like the Republic can exist again. Leia and other top Rebellion folks have to work at putting together a government to replace the Empire. Whatever Rebel forces that don't decide to just go home will be badly needed for a military force to keep the peace while an interrim government is established.
    Han is pretty much the only one of the lot who could believably go back to doing what he did before except for the glaring fact that he was no longer the scoundrel we see at the start of ANH (something which the sequel trilogy conveniently overlooks so we can have this soft reboot bullshit). He was a self-serving smuggler, but now he's as much a true believer as Leia and Luke and that's why he actively volunteers to lead the shield generator raid.
    But the sequel trilogy just didn't want to deal with any of that complexity, so it just completely trashed it all to give us a rework of the original movies. Dealing with Leia as a government official instead of a rogue princess or Luke as the head of a fledgling Jedi order instead of a lone space wizard would've been an actual challenge, and that's just not something Abrams shows any interest in.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The ST starting with our old heroes scattered and battered is... exactly how the story of the OTs guiding generation starts.

Obi Wan and Yoda? Broken old hermits, absolutely abject failures.

Anakin? Spent the last 40 years smelling like burnt hair

Vs One Hermit and two people who ended up with the same gigs they had at the start of the OT. And they do overall live in a better galaxy. So hey, that's incremental progress.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I always did find it a little hard to believe that Han wanted to be a smuggler after all was said and done after Jedi. I suppose he slipped back into it after all the trouble with Kylo, but still. It’s just not very well explained. Maybe Han really did want to find some space gangsters and tangle with them, and Chewie was humoring his friend who was hurting.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The trick to understanding the force is to realize there is no such thing as a force user.

Rey: its a power that jedi have that lets them control people and move rocks
    Luke: amazing. Everything in that sentence was wrong

The jedi do not move rocks. The force moves rocks when a jedi knows the force needs rocks to be moved.

You mean it controls your actions?

Partially, but it also obeys your commands

Te rock will not move without the jedi to tell the force to move it. But neither will it move if the force does not will the rock to move

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Han very clearly ran away from his problems after Ben turned.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I guess I could understand Han essentially reverting to who he was before he got mixed up with Jedi and Rebels and princesses as a way to pretend none of it had happened to him, so he doesn’t have to think about his son the killer, how his best friend couldn’t help his son, and how he abandoned his wife at the same time.

I can’t tell if I’m judging him too harshly or what on that, but god damn you think about whatever people thought about what the sequels may have done to Luke, Han Solo got a pretty raw deal himself. Luke achieved absolution, and ultimately overcame his guilt and salvaged the legend of Luke Skywalker. I’m not sure what Han got.

• Options
    Han got his pants let out

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I always did find it a little hard to believe that Han wanted to be a smuggler after all was said and done after Jedi. I suppose he slipped back into it after all the trouble with Kylo, but still. It’s just not very well explained. Maybe Han really did want to find some space gangsters and tangle with them, and Chewie was humoring his friend who was hurting.

He and Chewie go off to be freedom fighters after Jedi. They help liberate Kashyyk and presumably a bunch of other places.

Its only after Ben's fall that he goes back to his old ways

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Han got his pants let out

It was the 70s, bellbottoms were in at the time

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I’m not sure what Han got.

Stabbed.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    You know considering how they get fucking bodied by Ewoks with sticks I cant imagine how the Empire managed to conquer a whole planet of huge extra pissed off Ewoks with crossbow laser blasters

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I guess I could understand Han essentially reverting to who he was before he got mixed up with Jedi and Rebels and princesses as a way to pretend none of it had happened to him, so he doesn’t have to think about his son the killer, how his best friend couldn’t help his son, and how he abandoned his wife at the same time.

I can’t tell if I’m judging him too harshly or what on that, but god damn you think about whatever people thought about what the sequels may have done to Luke, Han Solo got a pretty raw deal himself. Luke achieved absolution, and ultimately overcame his guilt and salvaged the legend of Luke Skywalker. I’m not sure what Han got.

He got what he wanted most of all:

A one-film deal.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The trick to understanding the force is to realize there is no such thing as a force user.

The jedi do not move rocks. The force moves rocks when a jedi knows the force needs rocks to be moved.

Te rock will not move without the jedi to tell the force to move it. But neither will it move if the force does not will the rock to move

No thanks, that's lame. The Force has always been the collective id of the galaxy's life. It is not plot, or story, or what have you. That's some Stephen King self insert fiction.

• Options

No thanks, that's lame. The Force has always been the collective id of the galaxy's life. It is not plot, or story, or what have you. That's some Stephen King self insert fiction.

Its not an in universe explanation no. But that is what it is.

Either way, the force cannot be the collective Id of the galaxy's life. Since the force is in all things, alive and dead.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You know considering how they get fucking bodied by Ewoks with sticks I cant imagine how the Empire managed to conquer a whole planet of huge extra pissed off Ewoks with crossbow laser blasters

The threat of orbital bombardment is a hell of a drug.

• Options
    Whats a wookie spaceship anyway like just a big fucking tree

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Whats a wookie spaceship anyway like just a big fucking tree

Wroshyr trees are amazing feats of organic chemical engineering.

And SW:TOR showed us that logs make great speeder bikes.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.