As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    the sliders for this blood DLC work really well. you can have the absolutely ridiculous blood everywhere stuff if you want (like Warhammer 2 without blood mods) or tone it down to more "realistic" levels. I only put that in quotations because I've never seen a horse decapitated in real life, so I can't speak to how much blood that would be but I'm assuming horses have a bunch of blood.

also fuck no to horse dying sounds. i've heard both men and horses die, and i'd rather listen to men die than horses every day. horses do go on about it and make a horrendous sound, men just kind of pitter putter out. if they did ever implement that I'd hope for a checkbox that said "Horse Death Sounds Constantly" so I could turn it off.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    oh yeah it should absolutely be an optional feature

i just want people to remember that the horses are more than four legged robots

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Goddammit, finally got bitten by the NAP-vassal war dilemma.

At war with Zhang Yan's kingdom after he supported independence of Yuan Shao's son, my vassal. I had Han Fu as a real dinky vassal nearby. Zhang Yan was in a Coalition with Kong Rong, who I was previously just barely holding onto good relations with. Nope, Zhang Yan invites him in to his war with Han Fu, forcing me to choose between defending my vassal (breaking trade and mil access with Kong Rong) or cutting him loose (and pissing off all my vassals).

Welp, we had a good run buddy, but you done fucked up now. (Also that peninsula was previously lightly defended so I have to scramble some troops around...)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Generals randomly acquiring traits that fuck up army synergy is the absolute fucking worst. Stop making me throw money down a hole just to keep reshuffling troops.

Thank god I'm just peasant spamming so redeploy costs aren't -that- bad but sheesh. My capital administrator would cost 15k to deploy after loading him down with top tier units to sit in the garrison.

I guess if you're running that redeploy focused paradrop build it's whatever but if you're playing more standard it's obnoxious.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Something I haven't bothered checking, but do Oathsworn characters that develop traits that eventually make them rivals...do they get both satisfaction buffs/penalties?

I had it happen to Liu Bei / Zhang Fei, but I never bothered to check the individual numbers on their satisfaction (most people under Lieu Bei / Sun Jian get so much happiness due to their mechanics)

• Options
    Unfiltered reactions from the end of my first campaign:
    It might be because of playing Liu Bei but I find the lack of unit diversity a bit iffy. You can do everything with militia spamming everywhere with a couple catapults. Higher tier archers were better (and usable in melee once their arrows ran out) but you could field twice as many for better effect. I never saw the use case for crossbowmen and repeating crossbows and Defenders of Heaven seem like a gimmick that's only maybe useful in a limited unit, tougher battle.

Part of that is because the AI is kind of dumb and flaming shot catapults wreck them, especially in sieges. The only tough sieges are from the extremely accurate wall mounted catapults, which will easily win duels against your own, but you can just cheese them with cavalry or sac a unit of spears or something.

Speaking of spears, the game's in a weird place in terms of rock paper scissors. Sword militia are actually kinda decent already, especially since all you really need them to do is carry a shield and eat arrows for the most part. Cavalry are absolutely disgusting, especially if you micro them. If you were going to invest in higher tier units, this felt like the place to do it--especially if you managed to grab a couple Horse Pastures. If Cavalry get the charge off and don't frontal charge spears, they win hard. They win even harder if you're really focusing on using the fact that charge physics do damage in this game and just micro them only for charges. Spears feel like the big losers for the most part. They lose to swords in melee at equal tier, but they only sort of trade against cavalry and if you have them braced to receive a charge. And unless you're carrying Spear Guards with the higher expense, archers pin cushion them much easier. I'd probably only want a couple cards of spears per army unless you had Azure Dragons, which were actually neat, but I'm still not sure were worth the cost.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Liu Bei is like that because his militia are so wildly cheap.

Personally I find sword infantry to be the less useful, I love spears with shields.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Frei wrote: »
    the sliders for this blood DLC work really well. you can have the absolutely ridiculous blood everywhere stuff if you want (like Warhammer 2 without blood mods) or tone it down to more "realistic" levels. I only put that in quotations because I've never seen a horse decapitated in real life, so I can't speak to how much blood that would be but I'm assuming horses have a bunch of blood.

also fuck no to horse dying sounds. i've heard both men and horses die, and i'd rather listen to men die than horses every day. horses do go on about it and make a horrendous sound, men just kind of pitter putter out. if they did ever implement that I'd hope for a checkbox that said "Horse Death Sounds Constantly" so I could turn it off.

I have a strong suspicion, based on limited evidence, than in actuality men dying go on and on, horrendously and loudly, if given the opportunity, but since "killing dudes" is an integral part of most video games (how many video games even feature horses?) it's simply shortened for convenience. Emphasis on "given the opportunity"--if you managed to blow up a horse with a Napoleonic cannonball at medium-range, I'm going to wager it makes an amount of sound, for a length of time, very comparable to if you blew up a musketeer with the same cannonball. So, I'd say some horse death sounds are appropriate. Skyrim is a pretty well-known example of mercifully short horse-death sounds that could be used.

There's also the hilariously tragic fact that killing men would give the average video game player far less pause than killing a horse (or any other large, friendly-looking animal), but that's a separate concern.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    well, the men have weapons and are trying to kill your guys, the horses are just running around being horses

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    True. Though I'm also one of the men (a human more broadly, but a male human at that, if not the most masculine one to say the least) and capable of feeling compassion for my fellow men. Horses don't really feel compassion for humans, so much as tolerate the ones supplying their needs--they just run around being horses.

(On top of it being a video game, of course. Also, I really like your Shirobako avatar, or at least I think it's that.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    A very minor flavor thing that I haven't seen people comment on:
    When starting a new campaign, you can mouse over the portraits of other people on the map to see what your prospective faction leader has to say about them.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    this is black magic fuckery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-RYUVpYEg

(I just started a Zheng Jiang campaign and did NOT do this...well, I'm aiming towards marrying in Lu Bu anyway, so...)

---

edit: none of this surprises me

D-ZkVdeXoAAYiPG.jpg:large

Dong commandery, where campaigns go to die

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    this is black magic fuckery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-RYUVpYEg

(I just started a Zheng Jiang campaign and did NOT do this...well, I'm aiming towards marrying in Lu Bu anyway, so...

I tried doing this once, but the attitude doesn't change like in the video. Not sure why.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Hey Dong Min, here's 3 useless provinces that I already sacked and a bunch of ancillaries. What do you want to give me for this?

wXMzmcN.jpg

Oh, okay, thanks. And I'll take some gpt, too! And you now share a common border with Yuan Shao instead of me, who just wardec'd me the turn prior as a bonus!

:3

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/announcing-mod-support-for-total-war-three-kingdoms/
    What’s moddable?

Below is a list of the moddable aspects of the game:

Startpos
    CEOs (see below)
    Database tables
    Variant mesh definitions
    Battle maps
    Lua scripts (thanks to Vandy for his contributions here!)
    New character portraits.
    Custom models and animations

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Another entry in the record for holy crap are some of these minor settlement garrisons GOOD if you can figure out how to use them.

QB6bRO3.jpg

That Lance Cavalry Captain put up Lu Bu numbers.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    Iron mines are a nightmare that I almost always auto resolve.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Iron mines are a nightmare that I almost always auto resolve.

Yeah unless I have catapults, it's always better to autoresolve iron mines (all uphill, with towers) for me. Conversely, it's almost always better to play them out when on defense. Just a brutal map to have to attack.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    So apparently the secret to not sucking with shock cavalry in Warhammer 2 is to press J after they charge so you can easily get them back out and charge again?

Good lord I feel like this is vital knowledge I needed a long time ago.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    what does J do exactly?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Edit: apparently it is about face. This is probably why I was still terrible at shock cavalry even when I used J

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Kruite wrote: »
    what does J do exactly?

It gives the "About face" command, it basicly turns them around without rotating. For shock cavalry it allows you to retreat in relatively good order.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I just got the unique strategist that was apparently Sun Ce's childhood friend, and, damn, he's good. Even though he's a strategist he looks like a warrior, even though he obviously doesn't hold up like one (but he's not quite so paper thing as generic strategists). Also, he just has a great look to him.

The Sun family has such a great selection of unique family members and characters, and you don't have to worry about RNG for anyone but this strategist I was talking about. The other great thing is he has his own unique appearance portrait, which is great. I know a lot of not-so-important people do, but lots of people you think would, don't, like the son of the God of War just looking like a generic, and the Bandit Queen's sister.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I just got the unique strategist that was apparently Sun Ce's childhood friend, and, damn, he's good. Even though he's a strategist he looks like a warrior, even though he obviously doesn't hold up like one (but he's not quite so paper thing as generic strategists). Also, he just has a great look to him.

The Sun family has such a great selection of unique family members and characters, and you don't have to worry about RNG for anyone but this strategist I was talking about. The other great thing is he has his own unique appearance portrait, which is great. I know a lot of not-so-important people do, but lots of people you think would, don't, like the son of the God of War just looking like a generic, and the Bandit Queen's sister.

Zhou Yu was amazing in one of my late game battles. When a reinforcing army showed up, I sent him out there to harry the archers and trebuchets the general had brought to the battlefiend, while Sun Ren dove through the middle of the combat cutting through soldiers and supporting my army. I thought Zhou Yu would die, but kept on checking in on him and he managed to defeat a strategist in battle, and break two crossbow units. It was beautiful.

• Options
    Playing Wu is basically ezmode if you get through the first 10 turns vaguely intact. You have a really good unique stable of heroes and no competitors at all. Of course, the problem is that the ramp is slower since so much of their putative land is completely dead and needs to be settled and developed, which takes lots and lots of cash before it starts producing returns, and going wide means they are faster to suffer corruption.

I suspect you can just keep one army permaraiding north of the Yangzte for cash while consolidating down south if you can figure out the alliance web to avoid pissing off literally everyone before you're strong enough.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The end game for Sun can also be very difficult due to all of the Han territory around them. I had gone through claiming all of South East China, only to have emperors be declared and to find out that Liu Bei had taken over a bunch of the Han territories to my west, leaving me with an insanely massive boarder both north and west that I had to defend, when I was only expecting to have to defend the North.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The end game for Sun can also be very difficult due to all of the Han territory around them. I had gone through claiming all of South East China, only to have emperors be declared and to find out that Liu Bei had taken over a bunch of the Han territories to my west, leaving me with an insanely massive boarder both north and west that I had to defend, when I was only expecting to have to defend the North.

The key is to completely conquer the Han territory south of the Yangtze River before Dong Zhuo loses control of the emperor

The absolute worst thing that can happen is if Cao Cao manages to take Dong Zhuo out early since he’s your best bet for an alliance to secure your northern border to let you focus on conquering the south

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    A little tidbit for a mechanic change for this game that's not widely known...

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/cb0w60/bracing_effect_persists_in_melee/etcmnuw/
    As I understand it, 3K has seen a change in how bracing works. In previous titles, bracing was initiated on a unit level (so neither units in that picture would be braced). However, in 3K, bracing is done on an individual entity level, which is why you see cavalry charging through a moving unit (not-braced) but being halted by the guy at the back because they’ve stopped and braced.
    That certainly explains some results that I've seen personally.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    So uh Wu's been having -kind- of a bad game this campaign

BZz87ZP.jpg

(Yeah that's right, he's willing to just do it straight up without needing to be bribed)

Liu Biao, Cai Mao, and Huang Zu have been kicking his head in and pushing him steadily south and west. My best guess is that my being friends with Liu Bei and ish with Yuan Shu meant that Cao Cao was too busy getting pulled in various directions to go south into Liu Biao himself, which kept his cohort strong enough to do bad things to Wu.

I legitimately had pity on him and invited him to my Alliance (with Liu Bei) as intended after this instead of just stealing his sister like so many players normally do (okay and then I bribed him enough that he voluntarily accepted becoming my tributary)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    That happens sometimes. Liu Biao initially has a much stronger position with several allies north of the river. But that they manage to drive him back that far is kind of crazy considering that he has basicly soft targets all around.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    I came into contact with Ma Teng at about the time Ma Chao was around 18 and saw him on the roster. Was just like "Uh, hey, Ma, one sec." Divorced my wife, then offered her hand to Ma Chao in marriage to join my faction. Ma Teng was really up for that idea. I'm trying to get Zhao because I didn't get his event (or haven't yet, still) so I adopted another woman and had Gongsun Zan's heir join my faction, as well, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on Zhao and swoop in if I can sometime.

Also, I picked up a real good legendary but not unique strategist woman. She has a husband, somewhere, and she has given birth twice already. I'm just going to see how many surprise faction babies I get later on from her, considering she isn't related to anyone important and doesn't hold an office in my faction.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I came into contact with Ma Teng at about the time Ma Chao was around 18 and saw him on the roster. Was just like "Uh, hey, Ma, one sec." Divorced my wife, then offered her hand to Ma Chao in marriage to join my faction. Ma Teng was really up for that idea. I'm trying to get Zhao because I didn't get his event (or haven't yet, still) so I adopted another woman and had Gongsun Zan's heir join my faction, as well, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on Zhao and swoop in if I can sometime.

Also, I picked up a real good legendary but not unique strategist woman. She has a husband, somewhere, and she has given birth twice already. I'm just going to see how many surprise faction babies I get later on from her, considering she isn't related to anyone important and doesn't hold an office in my faction.

I'm very late but am trying to get someone west so I can get into contact with Ma Teng. I'm pretty sure Ma Chao is going to have been married already by this point but if there's a slight chance I want to try. Cao Ren's still unmarried, for example, even if I don't care enough to steal him away. (Having stolen away Cao Ang in combat.)

It sounds like you're Shu? Did you manage to get Huang Zhong? That guy has seemed freakin impossible to get without at minimum putting a mod on to prevent AI Executes. I know the theoretical strategy but he just disappears so early on it seems.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

I'm very late but am trying to get someone west so I can get into contact with Ma Teng. I'm pretty sure Ma Chao is going to have been married already by this point but if there's a slight chance I want to try. Cao Ren's still unmarried, for example, even if I don't care enough to steal him away. (Having stolen away Cao Ang in combat.)

It sounds like you're Shu? Did you manage to get Huang Zhong? That guy has seemed freakin impossible to get without at minimum putting a mod on to prevent AI Executes. I know the theoretical strategy but he just disappears so early on it seems.

Yeah, I was Shu. And no, couldn't get Huang Zhong. Ma Chao was really my first good get. Right now I can get the faction heir for Gongsun so I will probably do that, because I can't find any unwed people I want. The Sun family doesn't like me too much because I annexed the Han. Nonetheless I think Sun Ren should be of age soon so I'm going to try for her if I can.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Is there any advantage to marrying off family members so they join other factions?

• Options
    I have no idea. I also don't know if it matters if you receive a faction heir into your family through marriage. i first thought it meant they'd stay the faction heir and the faction would basically be absorbed by you once the current faction leader died, but that's... probably not the case. but there have been a lot of stuff going on through marriages/births and etc so I dunno. It also doesn't help that you can only see who a person is married to if they're in your family tree.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Ivar wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to marrying off family members so they join other factions?

You still get the diplo bonus and you get something for trading them off.

Ideal case is Cao Cao marrying his dad off on turn 1 for obvious reasons.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    "bye dad we got you a nice retirement how where you'll be safe love ya"

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Pretty good basic mod that just got released: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1803671821
    I got annoyed by recruiting characters and seeing that the AI spent all their skill points on weird skills.

When you recruit a hero to your faction, their skill points will be reset so you can pick what you want to use them for. That's it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I caught Lu Bu in an ambush and to my surprise my Gong Du was able to beat the shit out of him 1v1 and cause him to retreat. I killed the two generals with him, but of course he had resilience so he got away. I forgot that even resilience characters have a chance to lose gear on defeat, though, so he kind of left something important behind which I was glad to adopt.

?.jpg

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    That's an amazing screenshot.

This discussion has been closed.