As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Anyway to be back on topic, Don Mattrick, goddamn. He left for Zynga, and then left them after a couple years and there's no info on what he's been up to since.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oh shit I forgot he went to Zynga.

Priceless.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    You obviously never saw Geoff Keighley and Reggie Fils-Aimé go at it. There's a few other interviews where Geoff gets testy with Reggie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttrkOBBizo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izlnLgxgmJY

I watched the first one. That's a fun exchange lol.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I predict this year at E3

They finally cancel video games

Kanye just walks on stage and tells everyone to go home

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    Anyway to be back on topic, Don Mattrick, goddamn. He left for Zynga, and then left them after a couple years and there's no info on what he's been up to since.

As long as we're doing industry stuff, I checked out his Linkedin page. After he left Zynga ("effective immediately") he's now apparently the self-employed CEO of Prometheus Ventures, which does "management of personal capital" and doesn't even have a website.

So yeah, his game career is over.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Me: e3 is a grotesque corporate charade

Also me: if breath of the wild 2 is also Wind Waker 2 I will actually cry

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Honestly, I know we're getting our Pokemon infodump at Nintendo's show (that's all I'm really asking for from them this year), so everything else is pretty much just gravy.

But if I had to ask... Pokemon TCG Online for Switch. Maybe some solid RPGs that don't suck (maybe send some people over to Atlus to help pull their heads out so they know people want P3 Portable, P4 Golden, and the new P5, preferably with female MCs instead of this DW spinoff junk?)

Another Paper Mario game, along the lines of Super Paper Mario- the one that was pretty much an action/sidescroller RPG that looked and played like a regular damned Mario game- would make me cry happy tears.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Honestly, I know we're getting our Pokemon infodump at Nintendo's show (that's all I'm really asking for from them this year), so everything else is pretty much just gravy.

But if I had to ask... Pokemon TCG Online for Switch. Maybe some solid RPGs that don't suck (maybe send some people over to Atlus to help pull their heads out so they know people want P3 Portable, P4 Golden, and the new P5, preferably with female MCs instead of this DW spinoff junk?)

Another Paper Mario game, along the lines of Super Paper Mario- the one that was pretty much an action/sidescroller RPG that looked and played like a regular damned Mario game- would make me cry happy tears.
    Actually a spiritual successor to those old Pokemon TCG RPGs on the gameboy color would be really neat. I loved they way those played like a normal Pokemon game but with cards instead.

• Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I’ll go a step further - I want the whole fucking thing including 1 and 2. A Persona Quintology (actually Sextology, I guess).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Phantom Hourglass is Wind waker 2 though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Phantom Hourglass is Wind waker 2 though

Yeah and I like that game but the boat part was crap

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I sincerely doubt there will be anything Zelda related that isn't a remake or side game. Link's Awakening might be shown a bit, the Crypt of the Necrodancer spinoff Zelda game might get shown a bit, but that's all.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    We do know they are already working on the next mainline Zelda and that it will be in the same vein as BoTW. Other than that, yeah I don't think I'd expect any news this E3. Maybe not even next year either.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    We do know they are already working on the next mainline Zelda and that it will be in the same vein as BoTW. Other than that, yeah I don't think I'd expect any news this E3. Maybe not even next year either.
    E3 2021 will be our first peek at the next main Zelda game. For whatever comes after the Switch.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    E3 2021 will be our first peek at the next main Zelda game. For whatever comes after the Switch.

I don't know about the date, but I'm fairly sure we'll get another mainline Zelda on Switch, because the Switch has some pretty hard staying power.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not expecting a new Nintendo console any time soon. The Switch seems to have some great legs.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I will be pretty aggravated if there isn't an announcement for the Switch getting the pile of Zelda ports that the 3DS and the hugely-inferior WiiU got. A large part of the reason I got a Switch is so that I could get HD versions of Zelda games that would be very easy to port over, and there's been fuck-all info in general about Nintendo stopping the dicking around and bringing it's BC catalog onto the platform.

The Switch is a great platform, I'm just utterly bewildered as to why Nintendo has decided to treat it as the red-headed console stepchild when it comes to BC or ports. It's so fucking perfect for that stuff and they've just completely ignored it so far.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Next console will be Nintendo Pod, a wearable device that can track your movement and vitals. Can be played on the move with glasses that have holo-displays and mini-controllers that attach to wristbands or keyring. Will have a wireless charging dock that also acts as tv connection. Optional accessories will be a mini USB projector, stylish Pod carrying cases with built in charging, wrist and ankle bands for body tracking, PodTap to share friend info by tapping another Pod, and a Reggie Classic voice pack.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Isn't the other guy in that video Geoff Keighley or however his name is spelled? He isn't exactly Mr. Pro Consumer these days.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

This guy has had to own the moniker of Doritos Pope since the dawn of modern console gaming, I don't think anyone ever considered Geoff Keighley some sort of hero (despite the work he does these days promoting videogames in general to reach out to a broader audience)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Isn't the other guy in that video Geoff Keighley or however his name is spelled? He isn't exactly Mr. Pro Consumer these days.

This guy has had to own the moniker of Doritos Pope since the dawn of modern console gaming, I don't think anyone ever considered Geoff Keighley some sort of hero (despite the work he does these days promoting videogames in general to reach out to a broader audience)

He said nice things about Kojima that one time, so his legacy changed. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Xbox One needs to have a certain atmosphere to it. You get that when you boot up a PS4.

The original Xbox had those weird sounds after you booted it up.

Eh the boot sequence for the PS4 is the weakest PS startup of all the Sony consoles. Also the 1X has a cool "explosion" effect

This is all incredibly arbitrary, but I didn't really like the PS3's orchestral tune-up sound. Yeah, you're not fooling me, Sony. I bought a gigantic black box with the Spiderman font on the side. No one's expecting orchestral music coming out of it. Focus on making your precious Cell a competent video game architecture, then maybe a virtual symphony, huh?

The PS4's is nothing special, but at least it's not as obnoxious. The XB1X wants to show off the Scorpio Engine system on a chip, because why not I suppose, at least the chip's not an albatross the way the Cell ended up being. The "point" is that ideally system standby works well enough that the user will almost never see your green explosion or dumb orchestral tune-up.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

My favourite Geoff Keighley moment was the Fox News Mass Effect sex-scandal thing where, despite the best efforts of the hosts of the show and the opposing guest (the only reason we've ever heard of Cooper Lawrence, right?), he near-effortlessly dismantled their arguments in seconds.

• Options
    I haven't had my 1X in instant-on/ rest mode for nearly a year. It causes a lot of issues with loading certain games or apps. For instance, sometimes I'd start up the console and sound wouldn't work. It is a launch 1X and I use it daily, so maybe that's a factor. Usually if I turn it on it it will work fine for a week or so, and then start causing small issues that require a hard reset.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen someone so worked up over console boot sounds.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I haven't had my 1X in instant-on/ rest mode for nearly a year. It causes a lot of issues with loading certain games or apps. For instance, sometimes I'd start up the console and sound wouldn't work. It is a launch 1X and I use it daily, so maybe that's a factor. Usually if I turn it on it it will work fine for a week or so, and then start causing small issues that require a hard reset.

That's...definitely not normal. You probably don't want to hear "You should get it looked at," but you should get it looked at (preferably at a Microsoft Store if you can replicate the issue, but honestly, they might just take your word for it if you explain it sufficiently in depth).

I own a launch Xbox One X (the "Scorpio Edition"). I think I've had the audio output fail once--and sometimes games act up--but it's no different than on my original Xbox One, or for that matter, the PS4 I was borrowing. I keep it on always on perpetually. Things don't always download (though part of that is me keeping the default drive full). I haven't heard of the launch models having that notable issue compared to the second years.

Granted, game hibernation doesn't always work, but it didn't always work on PS4 despite me only playing two games on it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    It works fine if I leave it not in Instant On mode, but I'm also in the super secret beta program for the dashboard that is known to cause some issues from time to time.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    It works fine if I leave it not in Instant On mode, but I'm also in the super secret beta program for the dashboard that is known to cause some issues from time to time.

Ooooh. Haha, that's different. You're a beta tester, after all. Break your console so the rest of us may benefit.

I'm in one of the lower rings myself. I think there was a 3-month period where the achievement notification icons were missing for that reason, and now they're back. No issues with standby or always on mode.
    Dirty wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen someone so worked up over console boot sounds.

"A certain atmosphere," after all. Though with the current and next generation of hardware, the point is to actually (almost) never see or hear them.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    All of my consoles have the exact same boot sounds.

I turn all my consoles on while my TV is off. Then I wait exactly 4:04 minutes and turn the TV on.

Astute readers will know, of course, that 4:04 is the exact length of Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" which I sing full blast during that time.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    All of my consoles have the exact same boot sounds.

I turn all my consoles on while my TV is off. Then I wait exactly 4:04 minutes and turn the TV on.

Astute readers will know, of course, that 4:04 is the exact length of Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" which I sing full blast during that time.

Drez officially won the console boot sound, and we'll be taking donations to send him a custom Playstation 3 that plays an orchestral version of "Complicated" played by the Prague Philharmonic. Which he will never hear, of course.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I turned off my PS4 Pro's dashboard music. Just found it irritating - I'm not on some new age spa retreat, I'm going to play a video game. It didn't seem to fit, at all. But at least you can turn it off.

The original Xbox's weird little background noises were awesome, though. Loved those.

• Options
    Also the Dreamcast logo for the startup was different based on the region of the console
    https://youtu.be/vjMumRjZxY4

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I turned off my PS4 Pro's dashboard music. Just found it irritating - I'm not on some new age spa retreat, I'm going to play a video game. It didn't seem to fit, at all. But at least you can turn it off.

The original Xbox's weird little background noises were awesome, though. Loved those.

I didn't know you could turn it off. That is a neat feature.

The original Xbox's dashboard "sound creeps" were....kind of creepy, I suppose, or distracting, but they were picked "procedurally" into a playlist apparently. Like how the opening glowing orb...thing...isn't a video clip. It's generated by the GPU, and varies somewhat.

• Options
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think XBox + PC for all MS first party games seems like a good bet. And I expect this idea of a 100% open play-anywhere platform is going to be a big focus of their message, either in this presentation or with the next console as a whole. It's a little awkward to also be talking about games that won't ever be on PS4 at the same time, but that's just expected, lots of strong exclusives is perceived as a good thing by the community (and a huge criticism of the XB1 so far).

• Options
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Rebellion (Sniper Elite) teasing big E3 reveal.

Judge Dredd? https://www.pcgamesn.com/judge-dredd-dredd-vs-death/rebellion-new-game-e3-2019

Could also be a new Rogue Trooper game as director Duncan Jones (Moon, Warcraft) is making a movie of the comic.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So more Avengers Project tidbits have surfaced. Coming from the, now removed, E3 schedule blurb, but the internet never forgets.

“This is the defining Avengers gaming experience: an epic action-adventure that combines cinematic storytelling with continuous single-player and co-operative gameplay. Assemble in teams up to four players, master extraordinary abilities, customize your heroes to fit your playstyle, and combine powers to defend an ever-expanding world under constant threat.”

I'm hoping it is more Waframe and less Anthem. Actually I do have a fair amount of optimism for the game.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    That sounds more like Ultimate Alliance than I had anticipated

I'm guessing the gameplay will be more action than RPG but that's sounding promising

• Options
    Sounds like those X-Men beat 'em up games they were making for a while, to me.

This discussion has been closed.