As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've got both the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Siege of Dragonspear, and I've finished none of them. At times I feel like I should give them another try. They're classics of a genre I enjoy. But they're also, you know, really old.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh man, I will not soon forget the E3 in which the Xbone and PS4 were announced.

Microsoft going on stage and committing public suicide. Followed by Sony simply telling everyone that the PS4 would be like the PS3 but slightly better and then everyone losing their shit in celebration.

Crazy times.

Followed up by the year where Sony re-revealed a game that had been in development for like a decade, unvieled a remake to a beloved game that is STILL not yet out, and had someone announce their kickstarter live on stage... and this was the "E3 of Dreams."

At the time it was amazing. In hindsight, not so much.
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Giant Bomb's yearly sit down with Phil Spencer is going to be so good this year.

Definitely a highlight of E3 for me.

Shame his closing message got cut off last year, but I guess it being due to a Windows Update is about as poetic as you can get.

• Options
    Yeah I'm none too surprised that Sony is skipping it this year. Last year's conference made it pretty clear they didn't really have anything in the pipe until next Gen.

I'm curious if Microsoft will be in the same boat this year or if they will show off next Gen games. I am like 90% confident Halo: Infinite is next Gen.

I figure this is pretty unlikely, but if they actually unveil the Xbone 2 at this year's E3 that'd make for a pretty memorable E3.

Off the top of my head they have, or are rumored to have

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    Battletoads
    Gears 5
    Gears Tactics
    GearsPOP
    Forza Horizon 4 DLC
    Sea of Thieves stuff
    Halo Infinite
    Halo MCC/Reach/PC Stuff
    Gamepass for PC stuff
    Xcloud
    Outer Worlds (though that's multiplat even though they own the company)
    Ninja Theories next game

Plus likely a large smattering of third parties, especially now that Sony isn't there.

If they show off the next set of hardware, I imagine it'll be like the Scorpio reveal where they just show some teaser images of the motherboard and some talking heads.
    Aistan wrote: »

Well what's even the point of having a show then? Give it all up let's try again next year.

Rage 2 DLC
    Wolfenstein: Youngblood
    Maybe Wolfenstein 3
    What's Tango Gameworks up to?

And Doom fucking Eternal

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm hoping there are some surprises this year cause I can't think of anything new we haven't known about since last year or longer.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly I'm hoping there are some surprises this year cause I can't think of anything new we haven't known about since last year or longer.

There's still a lot of stuff that just isn't dated for this year yet. So I imagine we'll get a decent amount of that which is technically new info.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    am curious about what's happening with Forza. its been an annual franchise for a while now but Turn 10 were pretty amendment they hadn't started work on FM8 until fairly recently. so either they were lying, its getting a supper quick turn around or the franchise is taking a break.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Astral Chain, but that's in a few months and was already dropped in a direct.

But something like that again would be nice.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    am curious about what's happening with Forza. its been an annual franchise for a while now but Turn 10 were pretty amendment they hadn't started work on FM8 until fairly recently. so either they were lying, its getting a supper quick turn around or the franchise is taking a break.

The very, very likely rumor (I think all but confirmed AFAIK) is that the Forza folks are working on Fable 4.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

The very, very likely rumor (I think all but confirmed AFAIK) is that the Forza folks are working on Fable 4.

that's the Horizon studio, Playground games. they've admitted they're working on another open-world game for MS(then came the announcement that MS had bought the studio) and have been expanding so that they can handle both projects. will be thrilled if it is Fable 4, but will be happy to see something new too. win-win either way there.

• Options

That's Playground games, makers of Forza Horizon

He's talking about Forza Motorsport, made by Turn 10 Studios.

Last speculation I saw is they're skipping a year so they can make FM8 a next gen game.

• Options
    Ah my mistake. I thought it was the same studio just different teams.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

That's Playground games, makers of Forza Horizon

He's talking about Forza Motorsport, made by Turn 10 Studios.

Last speculation I saw is they're skipping a year so they can make FM8 a next gen game.

Yeah, I agree with this. Since everyone looks to be escaping this gen ASAP, skipping a year to make a killer debut for the new system, during the time where the spinoff is usually dropped, but that team is making Fable...makes a hell of a lot of sense.

• Options
    Ah my mistake. I thought it was the same studio just different teams.

It gets even crazier when you realize that Microsoft did't even own Playground games until last year.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Y'know after reading up on things I now believe that the Microsoft conference is the one to watch this year.

At least as far as potential surprises are concerned. I think they've the best odds to really "wow" people.

Axen on
  • Options
    Y'know after reading up on things I now believe that the Microsoft conference is the one to watch this year.

At least as far as potential surprises are concerned. I think they've the best odds to really "wow" people.

I don't disagree, but even as someone who has been "Microsoft is the one to watch!" for several years now, they kind of got it by default this year. :)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Microsoft will be interesting if only because they're the one console manufacturer on the big stage. I wonder how it will shape their conference, they don't exactly have to compete in that specific regard. But also they can showcase a broad variety of games, whereas the other presentations are publisher specific.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Yeah that’s why I give them good odds to be something special.

They are in a great position to really own the E3 conversation this year.

But there is also a chance that they decide to be lazy because they don’t have any real competition.

That all said, Microsoft as of late doesn’t strike me as the type to not capitalize on this situation.

Axen on
  • Options
    If Microsoft has something big to show, they'll show it. That's a big if though.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I'm honestly the most excited for Square-Enix's conference, despite the fact that I shouldn't be. I'm extremely curious about Babylon's Fall. Plus there should be a few surprises if they don't get revealed at MS's conference.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    A description for the E3 Coliseum had this info about a Darksiders

DARKSIDERS: ACTION ADVENTURE EVOLVED

A discussion about the inception of the Darksiders universe and where it’s headed next. This panel will coincide with the E3 2019 unveil of a brand new Darksiders game that takes the franchise in a fresh direction. This is a panel discussion about the art and business of creating and maintaining an action adventure franchise rich in-game and corporate lore.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I've got both the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Siege of Dragonspear, and I've finished none of them. At times I feel like I should give them another try. They're classics of a genre I enjoy. But they're also, you know, really old.

I might get those and do the original movies patch on it.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    SquareEnix could be a bit of a wildcard.

I expect them to run the gamut from all of their studios.

A little Final Fantasy 7R here, a little more about Shadowbringers for FFXIV there. A segment on Dragon Quest, including Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI-S. Insert surprise #1 Dragon Quest X trailer for NA here!

Then they'll kill all that hype with a little talk of their mobile games, probably announcing a collab for FFBE or something unexpected. A little more about that Octopath mobile game. Their Eidos division takes the stage and maybe announces a new Deus EX, shows some Marvel Avengers. Surprise #2: THI5F!

The last bit is their indie studios take the stage, and show a few new projects in the same vein of I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear. Surprise #3 is apt because Bravely Default 3 for Switch!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I would like all of those nice HD Zelda ports they made for the Wii U to come to the Switch

also, a direct sequel to BoTW with dungeons instead of puzzle creatures

also also, a new Terraria

wish list over

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Again, for Microsoft: Project Xcloud. You all didn't think they announced it at last year's E3, and released a hype video for it last ~October, if it wasn't going to be a presence this year did you? I mean, Microsoft just announced Xbox Game Pass for PCs. They're already starting the push for "One Xbox account, play on any (most) device(s)." At the very least, I expect a Stadia-level reveal, likely at E3, if not something with actual information.

Obviously, I could be wrong, but I don't see why they'd announce it and make a hype video if they didn't have something significant to show this year.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I would like all of those nice HD Zelda ports they made for the Wii U to come to the Switch

wish list over

I would laugh my ass off if we got Terraria 2 before @Drez gets the first one on Switch.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I think there's a pretty good chance they'll reveal Xbox One II. With no news from Sony to compete, they'll have the news cycle and all the hype for themselves.

Microsoft has actually said, "Expect us to talk about [Project Scarlet] consoles."

So yes, they probably will talk about it. Whether that counts as a reveal...well, Microsoft is a company that enjoys two things: talking about technology, and giving comedic amounts of advanced warning, up to the point that projects sometimes die out instead.

This is why the Xbox One X reveal played out the wait it did ("LOOK AT THAT SHINY METAL PROCESSOR. OOOH...TERAFLOPS. OOOH...") as oppose to the Playstation 4 Pro reveal ("Remember how we poo-poo'd intermediate consoles? Here's the intermediate console. Do not call it the Sony Big Mac.")

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    http://larian.com/

So the devs of Divinity Original Sin 2 are teasing a 3rd game.

Weird twist though... if the metadata is to be believed its NOT DivOS3.

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

If we fucking get turn-based, grid movement/combat D&D like Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor for Baldur's Gate 3, this will be the best year ever.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    well this is timely,

14 first party titles to be shown. sounds like we may get some surprises after all.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Makes sense. They don't have to spend as much time on "wait we have the same games too!"

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    http://larian.com/

So the devs of Divinity Original Sin 2 are teasing a 3rd game.

Weird twist though... if the metadata is to be believed its NOT DivOS3.

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

Jason Schreier, excellent reporter at Kotaku, said on ResetEra "In case there was any doubt, a lot of people are privately confirming to me secondhand/obliquely that this is for real. Holy fucking shit."

"All enjoy the sight of heroes! We'll be the talk of the town for days! Wave to the nice people, Boo! Wave to the nice hamster, people! WAVE!"

OH MY GOD YES YES

AHHHH

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

A discussion about the inception of the Darksiders universe and where it’s headed next. This panel will coincide with the E3 2019 unveil of a brand new Darksiders game that takes the franchise in a fresh direction. This is a panel discussion about the art and business of creating and maintaining an action adventure franchise rich in-game and corporate lore.

I wish I could be excited but THQ Nordic is dead to me after the 8ch debacle

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Madican wrote: »

I wish I could be excited but THQ Nordic is dead to me after the 8ch debacle

shoutout to mark!

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    At least Darksiders got Fury's installment out of the way before they decided to go full idiot and maybe change things up.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    At least Darksiders got Fury's installment out of the way before they decided to go full idiot and maybe change things up.

Last one is Strife who is a gunslinger. His game was always going to be a different type of gameplay.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Switch has been underwhelming for me this year, so I’m really hoping for Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime Trilogy HD to be coming soon (and to look good, naturally). That would make me very happy. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic hope.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I should have phrased that differently. I meant they went full idiot with the 8chan stuff, and also decided to change things up with this tweet. Not that they're dumb for changing it up.

I'm just glad I got my third person action rpg featuring Fury before all that happened is what I meant.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

wish list over

I would laugh my ass off if we got Terraria 2 before @Drez gets the first one on Switch.

I would too. I would laugh and laugh and laugh until I cried, my posterior neatly disengaging from the rest of my frenzied, Terraria-less carcass.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

A little Final Fantasy 7R here, a little more about Shadowbringers for FFXIV there. A segment on Dragon Quest, including Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI-S. Insert surprise #1 Dragon Quest X trailer for NA here!

Then they'll kill all that hype with a little talk of their mobile games, probably announcing a collab for FFBE or something unexpected. A little more about that Octopath mobile game. Their Eidos division takes the stage and maybe announces a new Deus EX, shows some Marvel Avengers. Surprise #2: THI5F!

The last bit is their indie studios take the stage, and show a few new projects in the same vein of I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear. Surprise #3 is apt because Bravely Default 3 for Switch!

Bravely Third is kind of "known but not announced" at this point. They haven't been terribly subtle about it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Bravely Third is kind of "known but not announced" at this point. They haven't been terribly subtle about it.

But it could be one of those Persona S situations where we think we know what’s coming but it ends up being Bravely Default Warriors.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

But it could be one of those Persona S situations where we think we know what’s coming but it ends up being Bravely Default Warriors.

Bravely Default Mobile.

This discussion has been closed.