As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I heard they are going to announce Final Fantasy XVI at E3 as an online-only Streaming-only Android-only Google-only Stadia game only available within a 7 mile radius of the epicenter of Tokyo and you can only play as either a Nu mou or Bangaa, but it doesn't take place in Ivalice, and it only works with a Google Pixel acting as a controller. Gameplay is very similar to a cross between bejeweled and pachinko. It comes packed with a copy of Final Fantasy VIII Remastered for the Switch, but that's a limited time pack-in bonus only for the physical Japanese version and the source code for the new version of FF8 exists on a single server with a self destruct timer that activates once all the maximum 50 global Japan-only preorders have been reached. Also game sharing is disabled and it comes with a DLC dongle that injects you with blowfish toxin if you try to share the game with anyone.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I heard they are going to announce Final Fantasy XVI at E3 as an online-only Streaming-only Android-only Google-only Stadia game only available within a 7 mile radius of the epicenter of Tokyo and you can only play as either a Nu mou or Bangaa, but it doesn't take place in Ivalice, and it only works with a Google Pixel acting as a controller. Gameplay is very similar to a cross between bejeweled and pachinko. It comes packed with a copy of Final Fantasy VIII Remastered for the Switch, but that's a limited time pack-in bonus only for the physical Japanese version and the source code for the new version of FF8 exists on a single server with a self destruct timer that activates once all the maximum 50 global Japan-only preorders have been reached. Also game sharing is disabled and it comes with a DLC dongle that injects you with blowfish toxin if you try to share the game with anyone.

I enjoyed reading this. Still not the most unlikely thing I can think of.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Bravely Default is being remastered and redesigned by Hideo Kojima. The new plot is about a salaryman who takes out a loan to try and get his young daughter an operation for a previously-thought to be inoperable condition from a black market Chinese clinic but then he loses his job. Even so he spends the money on his daughter, bravely defaulting on the loan, and then the loan broker sends demons after him.

In this case, gameplay is exactly the same as the original Bravely Default.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Bravely Default is being remastered and redesigned by Hideo Kojima. The new plot is about a salaryman who takes out a loan to try and get his young daughter an operation for a previously-thought to be inoperable condition from a black market Chinese clinic but then he loses his job. Even so he spends the money on his daughter, bravely defaulting on the loan, and then the loan broker sends demons after him.

I half expected you to post something along the lines of "The Terraria Switch port is actually Bravely Default 3"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I thought about it but then I thought ah ha! that's what they are expecting me to do! but this way I can be freeeeeeeee

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    well this is timely,

14 first party titles to be shown. sounds like we may get some surprises after all.

14 sounds like a lot, but they were acquiring a bunch of game dev studios in the last year or two. Maybe an announcement of a bunch of exclusives for the next xbox?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    well this is timely,

14 first party titles to be shown. sounds like we may get some surprises after all.

14 sounds like a lot, but they were acquiring a bunch of game dev studios in the last year or two. Maybe an announcement of a bunch of exclusives for the next xbox?

You would think this but read this rumors from Windows Central
    We're expecting the new Xbox consoles to come with an all-new OS, based on Windows Core OS, which we've been covering for some time now. Expect an all-new dashboard based on the Fluent Design System, with the speed and fluidity at the forefront. The next Xbox will be fully backward compatible with the existing library on your Xbox One, including X360 and OG Xbox back compatibility. At launch, we've heard there won't be any "Xbox Scarlett"-exclusive games. For at least a few years, games will ship on both the Xbox One consoles and on the new Scarlett consoles, as is typically the case during a generational transition.
    Update May 30, 2019: Due to some confusion over this paragraph, I've updated this section. We've heard that there's a possibility that, at least at launch, there will potentially be a period where new Xbox Game Studios titles launch for both Scarlett consoles, and original Xbox One consoles. This potentially pertains to the completion of Game Core, which is a development environment that won't be coming to the older Xbox consoles, as it's tied to the development of Windows Core OS. The finer details on this are very scant, so take it with a pinch of salt.

The update makes it sounds like they are half backtracking to cover their ass, and I think it sounds like a game of Telephone that had a few too many people in the chain.

Man could you imagine having to start game development with RAM and CPU requirements of a Xbox One and still making it shine on next gen.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    but it doesn't take place in Ivalice

I'm not seeing a con here.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I really don't want to hear "exclusives" from anyone at E3. First party is fine, but don't be locking games to a specific platform. Also, I am dreading the PC Games Show where you know Epic is going to brag about the next 50 exclusive games to their store.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My favourite part about the transitional point of consoles was having game developers develop for the older consoles as a performance baseline so that the new generation of consoles performed with the same game beautifully
    Of course this was mostly overshadowed by the developers that crammed in all of the pretties and backported games which ended up playing like ass

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    I really don't want to hear "exclusives" from anyone at E3. First party is fine, but don't be locking games to a specific platform. Also, I am dreading the PC Games Show where you know Epic is going to brag about the next 50 exclusive games to their store.

I'd agree with this. Particularly for Microsoft/Xbox, because just about anything that would be launching for the console could also have a PC port, and of the games I would want to own an Xbox for (FPS and western-developed RPGs), I'd much rather play those on my PC anyway.

My Playstation is for particular indie and party games, jRPG glory, and Sony's first party exclusives which tend to float my boat more than anything Microsoft puts out. Nintendo can just keep being Nintendo with all of it's first party games because there's no secret what I have a Switch for.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I think companies are fine carrying products that define their brand and if it's their choice they should do so with other companies that aren't themselves
    All Big Three have been guilty of moneyhatting third parties for exclusive shit and it's just the way business is.
    Like yeah I'm sad I have to buy separate consoles if I want Bayo 2/3, or a Persona game, or Cuphead, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it because I either go out and buy the console, or I'm not convinced that the value proposition of buying a separate console is enough for me to justify the purchase and I let it go

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Well it would be better than the Bravely Default we got.

Heyyooooooooo!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    My Playstation is for particular indie and party games, jRPG glory, and Sony's first party exclusives which tend to float my boat more than anything Microsoft puts out. Nintendo can just keep being Nintendo with all of it's first party games because there's no secret what I have a Switch for.

All the PS4 Indie games I'm interested all come to PC, sometimes before the console itself. Same for the party games, though admittedly, I struggle at any party game that isn't a Jackbox-style bad-spelling-or-bad-drawing competition.

With that in mind--I would like another Super Robot Wars title for 2020, Sony. Yes, this is pretty unlikely as a "once a year" franchise.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    If a game is on PS4 or Switch I'll never play it unless it crosses to PC or Xbox. No longer care or willing to spend on maintaining multiple consoles. Don't have anything against those brands, just I chose one I prefer and stuck with it. Any game on those other consoles/platforms I just watch streamers play through them.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    If you're buying the "higher end" consoles, especially early on, the prices do climb pretty quickly if you buy multiple consoles and the same title more than once.

On the other hand, I bought an Xbox One X and an EVGA GTX 1080ti, which cost more than the console and needed a whole computer to plug it into, so...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm in the middle of the great debate on whether to actually buy a new gaming PC again or just switch over to full time console person and just use PC for PC stuff and the occasional light game like MTG Arena.

Trying a shooter on PS4 right now. It's weird. Not great. But maybe something I could get used to with more time.

And they've been better at bringing over games you wouldn't expect to consoles like Divinity that I would normally have as an excuse for a gaming PC. But if the trend continues into next gen it may be the first time I just let my PC fall off.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    If you have a decent (not even great) gaming rig and a Switch you are basically covered for 90% of gaming.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Yea I have a PS4 and a Switch.

The VAST majority of my gaming is done on PS4. Like if something is multi-platform I will almost always pick PS4 over anything else.

The PC and Switch are just there for exclusives or, in the past, I would get anything first person or better with KBAM on PC.

But each year it seems like that is fewer and fewer games.

And with the new PS5 stuff floating about I feel like my focus can probably be 90% PS and 10% Switch.

But I'm also the kinda person that will 100% buy a system or platform just to play a single game. So even 1 or two PC games that I legit could not play elsewhere would throw a wrench in this.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    If you have a decent (not even great) gaming rig and a Switch you are basically covered for 90% of gaming.

Exciting news, followed extremely quickly by disappointing news, has left me very cautious about buying a Switch for Super Mario Maker.

My love of the open-source Super Mario World X on PC made the original Mario Maker far and away the single best argument for buying a Wii U. Then it's online design--you have to share levels online, and Nintendo reserves the right to remove them, which means you lose them too, etc.--gave me a lot of pause. Ultimately, the way the Wii U panned out it might've been a blessing in disguise. It's almost like history is repeating itself, but it's possible the online issues in SMM can be addressed down the line (maybe in time for the Switch hardware revision?). Mario Odyssey was my other big motivation, but borrowing a Switch for that seemed more practical (especially amid a lull of releases).

Of course, I don't follow the Nintendo flagship franchises as much as many, many others, my last Nintendo console was a EU Super Nintendo Classic that I hacked the hell out of. Great little piece of hardware, even if the controllers aren't. Otherwise most of what I play anywhere is multiplatform, which is tricky on Switch.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just give me an actually decent amount of big-budget new IPs and I'll be happy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

And if you add a PS4 to that you're covered up to around 99%.

• Options
    Yeah, it used to be if you had a PS4 and a Switch you were covered for nearly everything that came out, since Microsoft kind of forgot that they needed to produce games of their own for a while there.

But Microsoft seems to be fixing that finally, especially with their game studio shopping spree last year. Business-wise they should have done that long ago, but it'll make things rougher for those annoyed by exclusives.

At any rate, I'll be curious to see what game announcements (if any) we'll get from those purchases. Seems like it would be way too early, but who knows.

• Options
    I certainly wouldn't mind having all 3 consoles again next gen. This was the first gen I skipped the Microsoft console.

Before it was always PS+Nintento+Xbox+PC.

But there wasn't a single thing that sold me on the Xbone this whole generation.

Next years E3 could make a good argument for swapping the PC with whatever the next Xbox is though.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Xbox has yet to produce anything I would consider getting the console for. PS4 is home of all the JRPGs so the PS5 is still worth the purchase to me, even at launch because of the backwards compatibility. Switch is still a consideration but it needs a stronger library of stuff I actually want to play.

Madican on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, it used to be if you had a PS4 and a Switch you were covered for nearly everything that came out, since Microsoft kind of forgot that they needed to produce games of their own for a while there.

But Microsoft seems to be fixing that finally, especially with their game studio shopping spree last year. Business-wise they should have done that long ago, but it'll make things rougher for those annoyed by exclusives.

At any rate, I'll be curious to see what game announcements (if any) we'll get from those purchases. Seems like it would be way too early, but who knows.

Actually Microsoft just yesterday announced their commitment to bringing their games to not just the Windows Store but to Steam as well.

Even before this announcement their first party titles were available on PC too. If you bought one for Xbone you'd automatically have it for PC as well and vice versa.

• Options
    Yea my Switch is getting dusty.

Looking forward to their E3 stuff this year. See if they have anything for the back part of the year.

At least they have some summer games and pokemon coming up so I can finally break it out again soon.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    SquareEnix could be a bit of a wildcard.

I expect them to run the gamut from all of their studios.

A little Final Fantasy 7R here, a little more about Shadowbringers for FFXIV there. A segment on Dragon Quest, including Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI-S. Insert surprise #1 Dragon Quest X trailer for NA here!

Then they'll kill all that hype with a little talk of their mobile games, probably announcing a collab for FFBE or something unexpected. A little more about that Octopath mobile game. Their Eidos division takes the stage and maybe announces a new Deus EX, shows some Marvel Avengers. Surprise #2: THI5F!

The last bit is their indie studios take the stage, and show a few new projects in the same vein of I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear. Surprise #3 is apt because Bravely Default 3 for Switch!

Bravely Third is kind of "known but not announced" at this point. They haven't been terribly subtle about it.

But it could be one of those Persona S situations where we think we know what’s coming but it ends up being Bravely Default Warriors.

Bravely Default Mobile.

Already a thing: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Bravely_Archive

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Actually Microsoft just yesterday announced their commitment to bringing their games to not just the Windows Store but to Steam as well.

Even before this announcement their first party titles were available on PC too. If you bought one for Xbone you'd automatically have it for PC as well and vice versa.

Well, it was spotty. Sunset Overdrive didn't come over for years.

Though that's a cool announcement. Microsoft's been bending over backwards to be pro-consumer lately -- hopefully it lasts.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    but it doesn't take place in Ivalice

I'm not seeing a con here.

Boo

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

A little Final Fantasy 7R here, a little more about Shadowbringers for FFXIV there. A segment on Dragon Quest, including Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI-S. Insert surprise #1 Dragon Quest X trailer for NA here!

Then they'll kill all that hype with a little talk of their mobile games, probably announcing a collab for FFBE or something unexpected. A little more about that Octopath mobile game. Their Eidos division takes the stage and maybe announces a new Deus EX, shows some Marvel Avengers. Surprise #2: THI5F!

The last bit is their indie studios take the stage, and show a few new projects in the same vein of I Am Setsuna or Lost Sphear. Surprise #3 is apt because Bravely Default 3 for Switch!

Bravely Third is kind of "known but not announced" at this point. They haven't been terribly subtle about it.

But it could be one of those Persona S situations where we think we know what’s coming but it ends up being Bravely Default Warriors.

Bravely Default Mobile.

Y'know in retrospect it was silly of me to joke about it. I mean it was a JRPG series published by SE so of course there'd be a mobile game.

There not being a mobile game would have been more surprising.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I really want a good discount on the Xbox One sometime soon. There are some 360 games I miss that are on the BC list I really want to play again, and a few One games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wonder if the video streaming still works in Sunset Overdrive?

• Options
    There was also the game that had streamed cutscenes on the Xbox. What was that called?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If Nintendo announced a Fantasy Life title for Switch I'd buy the console today

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Still not as fucky as what Square did with Deus Ex.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    If Nintendo announced a Fantasy Life title for Switch I'd buy the console today

I already have a Switch, but man alive do I want a Fantasy Life for the Switch.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Bravely Default Mobile.

Y'know in retrospect it was silly of me to joke about it. I mean it was a JRPG series published by SE so of course there'd be a mobile game.

There not being a mobile game would have been more surprising.

Two of them actually it seems.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    We might see some more of that Control game.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I really want a good discount on the Xbox One sometime soon. There are some 360 games I miss that are on the BC list I really want to play again, and a few One games.

Yeah their BC is the main reason I want to get one. I'd love to play through Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon again.

This discussion has been closed.