As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    3clipse wrote: »
    Seidkona wrote: »
    Poor choice of last name, Devs.

Why's that?

Blanchard, to trans people, was an asshole. He put forth a lot of bullshit to invalidate who we are as people and turn it into some fetishistic crap that still echos today in the reasoning behind Gatekeeping and attacks on us by Gender Critical assholes.

That really sucks! Follow up question, who was this person because the name's not ringing a bell and Google is just telling me about liquor stores and a murder mystery.

Should I put this into spoilers because it's kinda fucked up? I think I should.
    Ray Blanchard is the psychologist who coined the term "autogynephilia", which is the idea that some men get really turned on by the idea of themselves as a woman. This suggests that trans women are really just men with a very specific kink.

I don't think his ideas are commonly accepted among the trans community, to say the least.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Why's that?

Blanchard, to trans people, was an asshole. He put forth a lot of bullshit to invalidate who we are as people and turn it into some fetishistic crap that still echos today in the reasoning behind Gatekeeping and attacks on us by Gender Critical assholes.

That really sucks! Follow up question, who was this person because the name's not ringing a bell and Google is just telling me about liquor stores and a murder mystery.

Ray Blanchard is the psychologist who coined the term "autogynephilia", which is the idea that some men get really turned on by the idea of themselves as a woman. This suggests that trans women are really just men with a very specific kink.

I don't think his ideas are commonly accepted among the trans community, to say the least.

oh sweet jesus christ what the fuck

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    AGP fucked me up for the majority of my 20's and that falls squarely on that asshole.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Why's that?

Yeah his stuff is super bullshit and unscientific.
    I mean, using ‘autogynephilia’ to invalidate trans women’s gender is even more ironically ridiculous and shitty when you take into account the fact that about 90% of cis women experience autogynephilic feelings/fantasies according to his definition of autogynephilia.
    It’s almost like women.... are women?

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

Why's that?

Yeah his stuff is super bullshit and unscientific.
    I mean, using ‘autogynephilia’ to invalidate trans women’s gender is even more ironically ridiculous and shitty when you take into account the fact that about 90% of cis women experience autogynephilic feelings/fantasies according to his definition of autogynephilia.
    It’s almost like women.... are women?

Also like a huge amount of the super shitty depictions of “trans” characters in pop culture of previous decades draw directly from his crap hypotheses.
    Most notably Thomas Harris used his writing as primary research for The Silence of the Lambs, and that shit put us back decades

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Can Hillary Clinton just, iunno, never answer another politically charged question ever again, please? I'm fucking tired of her giving the wrong answer every time, goddamn.

If you're wondering how this relates to the thread:
    Hillary Clinton Says We Must Be ‘Sensitive’ to Transphobia

I mean on the plus side she just comes off as ignorant instead of a terf, but jfc.

At least Chelsea has her head on straight.
    Meanwhile, Chelsea came down firmly in support of trans rights throughout the conversation, repeatedly throwing a “furious stare” at Aitkenhead over her questions.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2019
    You can tell she just does not like trans people but knows where the political winds are blowing.

I mean earlier this month she likened her staying with Bill after his cheating to a parent accepting their child after coming out as trans which is...woof.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    You can tell she just does not like trans people but knows where the political winds are blowing.

I mean earlier this month she likened her staying with Bill after his cheating to a parent accepting their child after coming out as trans which is...woof.

Oh ffs

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    thankfully she is far from the best option for the dem primary so...

hopefully don't actually need to worry about her crap on this topic in any greater capacity than folks already have to right now...

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Re: Ray Blanchard: Julia Serano just released a new essay about his theories, and this is good shade:
    For instance, Veale et al. (2008) — the first autogynephilia-related study to use a control group (which Blanchard never bothered to do)

wandering on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I think sometimes when people talk about Blanchard they’ll
    accidentally invalidate some people's sexual experiences, and I appreciate that Serano never does that. She acknowledges that people (both cis and trans) do have erotic fantasies focused on their bodies (she calls them embodiment fantasies) while also eviscerating Blanchard, his stupid notion that those sorts of fantasies cause people to become trans, and Blanchard’s various other extremely stupid, harmful, and disproven ideas

wandering on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's weird how everything is about sex with some people. Like they cannot fathom a human being motivated by anything else.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I think sometimes when people talk about Blanchard they’ll
    accidentally invalidate some people's sexual experiences, and I appreciate that Serano never does that. She acknowledges that people (both cis and trans) do have erotic fantasies focused on their bodies (she calls them embodiment fantasies) while also eviscerating Blanchard, his stupid notion that those sorts of fantasies cause people to become trans, and Blanchard’s various other extremely stupid, harmful, and disproven ideas

From what I've seen and read, Julia Serano is pretty cool and extremely smart. That reminds me to try to get ahold of the rest of her books.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I once had an english teacher who thought all of Emily Dickinson's poems were about sex.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    It's weird how everything is about sex with some people. Like they cannot fathom a human being motivated by anything else.

Boy would they be surprised to meet me (or other ace people).

just kidding, they'd think i'm faking it.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/10/16/john-bercow-trans-rights-house-commons-pinknews-awards-2019/ House of Commons speaker John Bercow declares trans rights are human rights in passionate speech at PinkNews Awards <3

• Options
    I see my girlfriend tomorrow.

Ever been terrified you won't live up to someone's expectations?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I always aim to make people's expectations of me as low as possible so as to avoid the possibility

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Don't you dare compliment me!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

It's more of a constant low-grade dread

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    This was the wrong crowd to ask. Lol

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

That's true, I was being unhelpful.

Remember that our perceived flaws are inflated in our own minds, as it's natural to think about the things that we would improve rather than the things we're happy with. Other people, however, will notice all of the things that are great about us, and in most cases, there are more of those things, and sometimes that which we consider a flaw is a quality in other people's eyes.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Yeah the snark answer is, "no I've pretty much come to expect it."

The better response is, "Hey, you're awesome, it's gonna be awesome. Maybe some awkwardness because meatspace, but otherwise you're gonna do great because you're great!"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I am at the airport.

Flying while trans sure is a thing.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    If only that'd happen in canada as well.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I am at the airport.

Flying while trans sure is a thing.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Sterica wrote: »

I was ranting to my spouse about this, and he reminded me of something I really should have remembered - he asked if she really said that, because the press has a tendency to twist her words to be the worst possible thing all the time so he's skeptical she said something that hateful.

So I looked up her actual words (thinking to prove him wrong) and it turns out.. no she didn't really say that. The publication which originally used that headline is right-leaning, though other publications took the banner and reported it as if it were true were leftist. Which just goes to show I'm just as vulnerable to fake news as any other normal human, I just need to remind myself to double check when something sounds a little too far. If anyone wants her full comment in context, you can read and watch here. She talks about doing research as her way of helping a friend who had asked for help in what she should do for her trans child, something no one else in her friend group had experienced, which is pretty on-brand for her. It came up as an example of how she deals with a new and complex personal situation, not as a one to one with Bill Clinton.

Therefore I go back to thinking what I thought before: her statements are ignorant, not malicious. She is not a TERF. I still wish she'd stop answering questions about or bringing up politically charged topics, though.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Had a stressful encounter the other day with pronouns
    I was introduced to a friend ( lets go with X) of my friend (A) that prefers he/him pronouns. With my mutuals, I've tried to help encourage others with using them.
    In this scenario he (A) left the scene for a bit, and I started a convo with his long time friend (X) that I had just met.
    After I had used the preferred pronouns, while my friend (A) was away, his friend (X) makes the hand gestures for air quotes and goes, "Right HIM", then proceeds to use she/her.
    I was left wondering,
    Is this person (X) just a dirtbag?
    Or did my friend (A) have different preferences with different people from different periods of their life?
    Or do they not know (but if so, why exaggerate with airqoutes? - like did they think I was misgendering them?)
    I was just kinda speechless at that moment, and the friend (X) moved on in conversation.
    I both feel like I should have said something more, but I also didn't feel like I knew enough of their specific business.
    Like would I be outing my friend (A) to someone they don't trust enough for pronouns? But then again, I've never been told to not use He/Him.
    I'm thinking about whether I should I try to casually talk about it sometime,
    "Like does (X) know your preference?", or would that be too nosey?,
    or unnecessarily highlight a bad time and situation?

I feel like at minimum, I should have said "He told me he prefers He/Him pronouns", but it was pretty evident when I was continually using He/Him throughout that hangout. I also don't know if I would just be creating drama calling that person out for when they get back. I guess I'll shoot to be a better friend in future.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'd probably ask A about it, but even if A told X it wasn't important or they could use whatever pronouns they want or whatever, 9 times out of 10 that's just capitulating to avoid conflict and X is just a dirtbag.

Also, I really don't like calling someone's pronouns their "preferred pronouns". Nobody talks about a cis person's preferred pronouns, they're just pronouns, so when a trans person's are just their "preference" it implies less legitimacy.

Stasis on
  • Options
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hey eveyone, this week is Ace Awareness Week.

Please take some time this week to consider Aces are valid, part of the LGBTQ community and definitely aren't "broken" people.

Thank you.

(I'm ace if you weren't aware of it.)

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm ace and I didn't know it was Ace Awareness Week, so thank you for posting!

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I'm ace and I didn't know it was Ace Awareness Week, so thank you for posting!

And now you’re aware it’s awareness week and everyone here is aware you’re ace!

It’s working

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Had to drop my gf off at the airport yesterday. Fuck. That was rough. Long distance relationships are hard, especially when you've closed the distance and have to say goodbye again.

Bleh

Hope y'all are well

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The counselor at my PCP informed me that I picked the worst insurance for mental health coverage and no one takes it and literally Medicaid would be better

So uh, I guess I'm changing plans this year

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Had to drop my gf off at the airport yesterday. Fuck. That was rough. Long distance relationships are hard, especially when you've closed the distance and have to say goodbye again.

Bleh

Hope y'all are well

It is the worst.

I just got back from my trip with my girlfriend.

It was the hardest meal of sushi I had ever had, that last dinner before getting on the plane.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I had a very good presentation at the Out and Equal Summit. Many people cis and trans told us it was good (about 120 people came to it). It was about best practices for trans inclusion and visibility in the workplace, and it was pitched at fortune 1000 companies— big, primarily white collar corporations—so not everything is universally applicable. We mixed personal storytelling and trans education (I am the person who explains that gender identity is not gender presentation is not anatomical sex is not sexual or romantic orientation and all of these things can be a lot or a little and male or female or both or neither; and then I had to explain my gender identity and story to a whole room full of people which is a useful thing for me to practice doing; also we did a lot of special attention to the concept of being nb cause L. and I super care about that) with actionable advice and directions (bring in trans speakers or have people from your organization talk! Use gender-neutral language! Make sure your company’s transition policy recognizes that there are many way to transition! Here is how to be an ‘active ally’! Etc)
    Someone from the national center from transgender equality especially liked our presentation and talked to me after and that was p cool cause she does this sort of thing professionally!

I also got to go to a roundtable that was only trans masc and trans male people, and that was really interesting and unique and positive for me. It was like 30 guys and it was so cool cause when else do I interact with people in my demographic—literally never.

Having to do this in a corporate setting is definitely weird, but here’s the thing:
    1. I’m not independently wealthy so I need to work to support myself, and I spent 40+ hours at work every week, so it’s an important part of my life
    2. It’s an important part of many people’s lives so we should make sure it’s a good place to be trans.
    3. My workplace grants me more explicit protections than the state or country I work in. It’s bad that this is the case but I would rather have rights from my employer than from no one at all.
    4. As soon as you talk one on one with anyone and they drop their guide you realize everyone there is just trying to do the best they can and also is often pretty anti-corporate and a little baffled at how they ended up there, and people are so fun to talk to.

I basically only hung out with trans people the whole 4 days which was awesome. Met this amazing nb consultant from another office who not dissimilarly to the hot nb consultant from the other other office is just covered in tattoos and has this excellent aura of subversion under a thin veneer of business competence. I mean also “I thought I couldn’t be trans for a decade because all the trans guys I saw were bros and I’m a goth.” A m a z i n g so yeah we just talked and drank for literally 4 days straight and it was great

Also @MsAnthropy i saw your company there (if I remember correctly who it is) and you should go next time if you can!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    One other discussion I had that was good was at the last night dinner, where we ditched our assigned seating and made a trans table from the people at our company—but there was one cis bi guy at the table who had originally been assigned there and we were like o sorry and he was like nah man trans people are great, and I went to this bi+ panel in which surveys show that bi people often feel more comfortable around trans people than around gay or lesbian cis people, and also that a lot of trans people are bi—and I looked around the table and I was like oh huh it’s true we basically all are and also I would preferentially date someone who is also bi—and I never really thought of that too hard but it was just interesting and then we had a really fun discussion about being bi and various intersectionalities, and that was also pretty neat.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.