As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm not trying to push bad advice and agree that sadly, a ton of people do try to sabotage their fellow players with . I'm just not sure the odds on rescue fairy, really amount to much in the way of sanity saving. .3% is pretty much in the realm of statistical noise, to the point where if the doll someone is after drops, it could have been the fairy or just standard RNG. I'm just looking at this from someone that pretty much needs everything thing, except for a decent echelon. For instance if I had one, I probably only pop it for the dolls on the higher chapters, given how quickly fairy commands can disappear and on those chapters, we know the math that we know for it how the fairy works that it is a decent boost of rare dolls drops and added cores can do wonders for one's sanity on things like this because those are really useful, even if they weren't the original goal, whereas 2* dolls are a dime dozen.

I'm mainly looking at taunt, airstrike and mortar for something like 6-4E. I'm not too sure, even my two best team setups are quite able to pull that off and see the skill on my taunt fairy as a possible way to take pressure off one echelon, since that's a means to absorb damage, while they pick stuff off. I could see both airstrike and mortar having some uses there for those of us, that might not have echelons strong to really bully 5 alchemists without taking serious hits back. So in a sense, I see the taunt fairy's skill as being a bit more reliable for my needs, since I know exactly what I will get. Where RNG is going to RNG and sometimes that works out great and other times, it sucks. It's why I'm glad I don't have to deal with Destroyer anymore because that fight is like the showcase of how RNG can work.

I guess in terms of the question that prompted this whole chain of "is popping the rescue fairy skill worth it?" for the rescue drops. Probably should be met with, depends on what your needs and goals are. If someone needs or wants all the rescue dolls because they are new and still need a ton of other things. Probably not worth using the commands when farming K5 & PP-19; especially, if one doesn't want to micro a ton, since planning mode doesn't seem to allow for designating it to activate upon entering specific nodes and then deactivating. Probably totally worth it when farming MDR since that's four fights and all of them can drop 3* dolls, so probably a very decent core farm. Just farming PP-19, don't need cores. Don't mind micro managing or don't care if two fights before the boss eat two of the commands and are capped or about to cap on fairy commands anyways. Sure, why not.

Honestly, the whole "lol, placebo fairy" meme, seems to show a ton of people don't get statistics and without plotting out the data in some cases, humans are likely to either miss a trend because you need a ton of data to spot it or misinterpret it because they are basing their assumptions on too small a sample size. If it didn't work at all, I don't think the devs would leave be for long. Also given the existence of the gold fairy, I'm inclined to say that if the devs wanted to have a fairy that use fairy commands and did nothing of value, they'd just make a fairy that has a skill like the golden law talent, where it's pretty much up front that it's purely cosmetic.

I hope that I didn't come off as sounding like I was implying that you were trying to push bad advice. I just wanted to try to get all of the facts about the rescue fairy out as best as I know them.

*The rescue fairy is supposed to improve our doll drop rates
    *We have confirmation from an FAQ that her skill is supposed to assist during rescue events
    *Baseline drop rates are low enough that it is impractical to collect a large enough sample size to definitively prove that the skill works.
    *There are claims that the skill is bugged and won't be fixed until the client update
    *I haven't personally seen any evidence to support that claim beyond "leaked translated patchnotes from the test server", which I see no reason to trust outright
    *The claims might be true despite my doubts. Still waiting for evidence harder than "dude trust me."

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Luckily, my luck rolling fairies has been shit, so I might as well run the rescue fairy. It's not like I'm getting a ton of exp farming for a dupe K5

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I figured as much. I have no idea if they can ever dispel the placebo fairy meme. RNG is going to going RNG and people are going to misinterpret that as they will. A fair number of people can't wrap their head around the idea of like 1% drop rate meaning out of a hundred drops, over a large enough relevant sample size, one is likely to see that item once. They assume that 1% means out of a hundred of their attempts, they are guaranteed the drop once. Like they probably could release all the numbers (seems unlikely) and confirm that at max level the fairy is 30% and that the drop rate for 3* dolls in 0-2 is 20%. Then mention that the boost from the fairy is additive and not multiplicative. So someone fires up the game runs 0-2 10 times (I do believe the optimal route is 5 fights, so that should come as 50 dolls) and instead of get 25 3* dolls, they have a really bad run and end up with just 10, while the rest are 2*, thus concluding from their limited sample size that the fairy doesn't work.

Edit: Yeah. Even if you did drag stuff, it's not like it would be worth burning the commands there anyways. Nor would there likely be a need for mortar or airstrike to clear stuff to protect the corpses, since a fully linked dps AR can easily do it.

Mill on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm on 90 runs for Aug so far, would be real nice if she'd drop soon.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Black market Legos.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Black market Legos.

You obviously have never met any hard-core Lego fans. :wink:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Are they nutty enough to be interested in some deluxe acorns?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    How many pets am I going to need for this? I think I have 3, but I could swing 1 or two more likely.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Are they nutty enough to be interested in some deluxe acorns?

Heeeeeyyyyy-ooooooooooo!
    Booo! get off the stage!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    How many pets am I going to need for this? I think I have 3, but I could swing 1 or two more likely.

I'm honestly not certain if they are mandatory. I think that thet let you stack the deck in your favor. IIRC, I think that you can send three pets at once.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Assuming nothing changes, some of the rewards or purchase options look like they'll be combat reports, various data, memory fragments, capsules, calibration tickets & batteries. So it's already looking like the forward camp might easily jump to the front of the queue for battery expenditures, since unlike the data room and fairy chamber, it's going to be net gain in batteries and that means being able to upgrade those quicker in the long run.

I'm curious to see how that impact combat sim priorities. A ton of it is going to depend on drop rates, but I suspect that it will make defense drills not that important for most, outside of getting all the one time rewards because it has gems & resources (can't recall if it gives cores). At 5 energy a pop, I can see how that drops way down on priority for anyone that doesn't care about ranking (I think it has a ranking system, but might be wrong there). Only question is will that also impact the neural cloud corridor in a meaningful way or will that still be in a spot where it's run that any day that isn't data? Depending on how things go, I'm leaning towards this maybe making intermedia data and advance data roughly the same in value. Currently, you need more intermediate data and the current rate of acquisition makes it more valuable than advance data. Maybe base camp results in it being easier to hit a point where one has more guns and fairies move past needing intermediate data and increasing the desire for advance data to level skills. Hell, with expeditions looking really good and costing resource, maybe enhancement sim will be worth a damn . . . probably not, since fragments probably will still have more value and the neural cloud corridor can still drop basic resources. I could also see xp mode getting a slight boost since that means being able to jump start an advantaged gun to provide a better reward rate on an expedition and level does help.

No idea if upgrading the parts of the camp will force us to do a mixed level up for the console and rack or if it's possible to max out one entirely before touching the other. Trying to work out the best route for upgrading those. Rack upgrades mean not losing potential loot, while console means better expeditions. I'm thinking maybe mixed upgrade approach, since maxing out the console probably means having to micro the loot rack more to ensure rewards aren't missed; however, the lower tier expeditions probably don't yield enough to have to worry about losing out.

Also liking how pets aren't super critical and are mostly helpful. So level 8 console just tends to be the best thing to rush towards along with level 6 loot rack, but if you don't have the pets, not a huge loss if you stop at a level 8 console until batteries income allows you to start getting pets. Level 9 & 10 probably aren't worth touching until you have a pet to occupy the pet slot. One will want to have three eventually. Plus sigh of relief on this not eating a echelon slot.

Trying to wrap my head around how all these change are going to impact gem spending priorities for new players. Beelining for echelon six is still the best route. I think with all the chapter completion rewards, it probably easier to get even further into the campaign more quickly, while also being able to perfect rank maps sooner. Then throw in the fact that expeditions do factor doll levels and cost resources. So a 7th echelon actually might be the next priority, it's relatively cheap to run 1-2 and can get decent levels on dolls quickly because one probably won't have batteries to spare for combat reports. Not to mention if one is getting into the later chapters more quickly, that does create a need for a dummy plug to s rank maps. S rank on maps means more gems to buy additional echelons and dorms. Probably a toss up between dorm three and echelon 8. Math seems to work out for dorm 3 being the biggest boost in batteries as far as dorm purchases go, might even be the biggest gain from gems spent. Echelon 8 means almost always have a dummy echelon for s rank maps, having two for the ones that need two and two combat echelons and almost always being able to run 1-2 in the background to quickly level new dolls. Roster increases are going to be a wildcard because when you need is going to very, but it probably moves up in value since more dolls means one is more likely to have five advantaged dolls for the week and less likely to either have to settle for getting less out of expedition because they can't afford to tie up an advantaged doll, that happens to be critical for active mission stuff. Depending on battery gains out of the expeditions, dorm 4 might be good after echelon 8 or things line up as such that maxing out echelons is the priority. Hell, it might be good enough that the best course of action is to get 10 echelons and then worry about dorms. On the other hand drops might line up as such, that getting dorms becomes a high priority. Though the resource cost, firmly cements that idea that it's best to get 6 echelons ASAP to always have 4 logistics missions active at any one time. Probably also kills the idea of ever holding off on a logistics mission for 5 or more minutes in order to either have a dummy echelon to S rank something or to knock out a combat sim that needs a solid echelon.

Expeditions also create a larger incentive to make sure guns in them see some sort of rotation and leveled. Not just because a gun on logistics ends up being advantaged, but that there is also a higher incentive to get greater mission successes.

Also the idea of black market Legos amuse me; especially, with it being hard to manufacture in a dystopia that builds robots that easily surpass the Turing Test.

Edit: also have to wonder if we'll see some existing quests adjusted to include the new black market currencies as part of the reward. Would make some of the ones that feel like a really crappy discount an actual reward. Just hope they don't put on the two fairy weekly quests because IMO those seem really problematic as weekly quests; especially, with a another lucrative resource sink.

Mill on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Oooh, I like the skin, but I like the HP and HV ammo more! :)

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Time to reconstitute a FAMAS I guess.

Bah, I forgot how bad her tile/skill is.

Brody on

• Options
    the important thing is the 16lab HV ammo

• Options
    I kinda want to level FAMAS now, just to use her as a logistics team leader, but thats like waaaaay down on my priorities list.

• Options
    So how dos that 16lab ammo compare to the golden equivalent in game and is that some sort of cap on how much of it we can buy?

Also wondering if I should just move on to farming for contender if I hit like 200 or 250 Intruder kills with no sign of MDR. I have M21 now.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    So how dos that 16lab ammo compare to the golden equivalent in game and is that some sort of cap on how much of it we can buy?

Also wondering if I should just move on to farming for contender if I hit like 200 or 250 Intruder kills with no sign of MDR. I have M21 now.

I believe that its just the same as gold ammo, just already maxed (no calibration needed), at least that is what I remember from the others I got, but I have since leveled them up some, so I'm not 100% sure.

I mean, RNG gonna RNG, it doesn't have any memory. If MDR is higher up on your priority list of dolls to get, then I'd say stick with MDR.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Switching would be more a change of pace for me.

Mill on
  • Options
    16lab equipment is functionally identical to perfectly calibrated 5* gear.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I like the coffee Expeditionary item. The movie it references is pretty cool.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    So I am slowly getting interested in this - the unit combinations feel interesting and I like fiddling with stuff to be all.. tactical. And pew pew.

I'm still on the first couple chapters, admittedly, poking around and debating what to spend gems on.. but I'm having fun so far.

ID is 841778.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Dalantia wrote: »
    So I am slowly getting interested in this - the unit combinations feel interesting and I like fiddling with stuff to be all.. tactical. And pew pew.

I'm still on the first couple chapters, admittedly, poking around and debating what to spend gems on.. but I'm having fun so far.

ID is 841778.

Save your gems, you'll eventually want to get more echelons/dorms/t-doll space.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'd also probably save my batteries for the base camp that is coming with the new client patch Tuesday of next week.

Edit: Though I know there is the key card event going on that has a quest to spent a 100, which may or may not be worth doing depending on what you need and how much you value calibration tickets.

Mill on
  • Options

ID is 841778.

Gems should initially be spent on additional echelons and dorms. Six echelons is the first big milestone since that leaves you two that you can use in combat, and four that you can have running logistics 24/7. You'll want to expand your dorms, and eventually furnish them, to increase the rate that you generate batteries. Batteries are used for a variety of purposes, but the big ones are to upgrade assorted facilities in the base and to craft combat reports (consumables that directly grant EXP to units).

Tuesday's patch will be a massive boon for new players. They're adding in new career quests that will give you tons of pre-linked dolls and even a pretty heft stockpile of combat reports and cores. Among the pre-linked dolls will be the members of the AR-team. Players who had the AR-team prior to the patch will be compensated with cores and combat reports equivalent to upgrade their level 1 copy to the level that new players get them at. It's gonna be a huge jumpstart to get your teams online.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited October 2019

nice

i'm assuming the initial tdoll isn't considered as cores so
    i guess it would be 105 cores for RO and then (1 + 2 + 2 + 2) x9 for the others
    so 168 cores total? plus whatever combat reports and capsules they decide to refund

Orphane on
  • Options
    Took over 150 attempts, but I got Aug. On to MDR, I think.

And as a bonus, Contender hit level 50 off farming AUG.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    A full list of rewards for the early game rewards adjustment.Just clear the stages again to collect.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h1DfqxF-2O2eaHUw30J1ISERTLRPo1-oNA3Fl_vg-Rg/edit#gid=0

• Options
    Hades wrote: »
    A full list of rewards for the early game rewards adjustment.Just clear the stages again to collect.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h1DfqxF-2O2eaHUw30J1ISERTLRPo1-oNA3Fl_vg-Rg/edit#gid=0

Oh was that confirmed as working for veteran players on older servers? It's a nice chunk of reports and free cores i suppose

• Options
    I might be misunderstanding, but I think that veterans get the AR-team compensation immediately, and the rest of the rewards require replaying the old maps.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Wooo! I guess when it rains Parachute Fairies, it pours! Just got my second Parachute fairy! Now just got to get enough data to level them both up. But I guess now I can just use the budget fairy recipe now. :)

• Options
    I have 91 tickets to turn into 455 calibration tickets tomorrow. Sadly, also have 20 points that will go poof, but I suppose it could be worse. On that note, one of the quests today required me to fire up heavy construction for equipment. I got a command fairy out of it. So I'm wondering what the rule of thumb is with fairy enhancement. Do I want to calibrate that fairy so that it has a matching talent with my first command fairy before I feed it to it or is that a waste of calibration tickets?

Also took 260ish runs, but got MDR yesterday. Now working on k5. Managed to get M16A1 up to level 80 and the game was kind enough to give me golden body armor today, though she doesn't have a golden exo suit. Got 2 of my handguns to lvl 80. Got another almost to 70. Got my STEN dupe to level 70. Currently, using 1-6 to get a batch of handguns that won't be leveled rewards in the upcoming quests up to 30, while I farm for K5.

• Options
    IMO that would be a waste of calibration tickets. I'd just merge one fairy into the other and then go about your business. It doesn't take much to get a 3* fairy, and 5* fairies are an ultra-long term goal.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Well got K5 and got g17 a few clears before her. So that's three chapters I can ignore in regards to farming up limited drops. 1-6 isn't to bad and I'd say if one is doing manually go for S rank on the map. It's about the same number of turns that rushing the boss would take. Also I think the math on average comes down to having to kill less mobs to get the rescue roll. I want to say on average, a boss rush will easily result in having to fight 3 mob groups in addition to the boss most runs. Where S rank, about 60% of the time you're getting exactly 6 fights per clear, which is what you need, and they you have some clears where you fight 7 times. Occasionally, you'll end up having to do 8 fights, but it's pretty rare. Also for anyone wondering, rescue doll is an extra roll for clearing with S rank (so you get two guns), but unlike the boss roll it's first (mind you, I've only done this for K5.

For those that are going to do 1-6 or still are farming for K5. You can pre-plan the first 6 movements, but I'd only do that for the first five. You want to make sure you cap the helipad at the end of 2nd turn. The mistake I made and I'm sure others have made, is having planning mode land you there and then follow that up with landing on the middle helipad 2 spaces away. Seems about 95% of the time, you'll still be able to get your S rank, but 5% of the time mob movement couple with Scarecrow patting and planting her happy ass in a way that denies you killing her and getting S rank (note you can still get S rank, just not sure on the odds). Instead with planning mode, after turn you cap the helipad, move to the spot between the two helipads. If the space is still neutral, move to second helipad and spawn echelon 2. From there, you'll have a few possible options for getting S rank, that will be contingent on how the mobs pat. If the space is captured by the SF, spawn echelon 2 and move it in the opposite direction, so that you cap the two nodes that you don't control around the helipad. If next turn leaves you a kill or two short, assuming echelon 2 is up for it, move it in front of the command post, don't cap, move echelon 1 up on to take helipad. This will allow you to kill Scarecrow and win six fights within 5 turns. Regardless, after your first five movements, you really don't want to leave things up to planning mode because there are a ton of movements that can leave you short on kills and a few that leave scarecrow alive.

I guess, I'll attempt going for Contender now. I'm probably in better shape for this than I'm giving myself credit for and on the upside, I can in theory get 5-6 rolls in for her per map clear.

• Options

ID is 841778.
    Oh yeah, one more thing. As you progress through the story, the members of the AR team will be added to your forces. Unlike most gacha games where the story characters are generally inferior to ones acquired through the gacha, the AR team are all valuable dolls. When fully upgraded with all of the bells and whistles, they either stand alongside the most powerful units in their classes or they have unique niches where they can fulfill a job better than anyone else.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Well, 240 runs exactly for TAC-50. Hooray I guess.

What's up with these crate things? I gather the only way you get them is from logins, so...just a bit of a random chance at some special equipment?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    They usually have loot boxes like these during the big story events. Usually they give them out for completing quests, but it looks like we're just getting goodies for logging in.

I see that Lee Enfield is in the loot table. I think someone was trying to get her? I hope they succeed.

If also looks like there's a special scope for type 95 and 97. One copy is guaranteed after 100 crates. Fingers crossed to get a random one so that they both can use it at the same time.

These things tend to give out buckets of calibration tickets, batteries, and training data, so be sure to login every day to max out the rewards.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    1st 10 boxes gave me Strawberry who haunts/taunts me not getting a 2nd grape

2nd 10:
    0gbhlwi3jvu2.png

ez game

• Options
    I'm well past 100 tries for MDR, and still no sign of her.