As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the week 5-16-07

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Yeah, Bendis doesn't really know how to write the Sentry or Ares or lots of characters very well lately. It just seems like that to me, anyway.

I mean, there you have Ares being portrayed as a dumb brute who's not very skilled in the arts of war. And there you have lady Ultron somehow punching the Sentry hard enough to draw blood. Or something. Power of a million exploding suns (not a thousand, by the way). Sigh.

He can slap a Herald of Galactus around with ease but needs help from Ms. goddamn Marvel and bloody Wonder Man to catch the Helicarrier

Does anyone see any silliness here

You know I read that differently. I didn't think Sentry needed their help, I read it like they didn't know if he was going to be able to help them so they jumped out to grab the Helicarrier and then saw that Sentry had gotten there in time.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Iroh wrote: »
    dclee wrote: »
    Yeah, Bendis doesn't really know how to write the Sentry or Ares or lots of characters very well lately. It just seems like that to me, anyway.

I mean, there you have Ares being portrayed as a dumb brute who's not very skilled in the arts of war. And there you have lady Ultron somehow punching the Sentry hard enough to draw blood. Or something. Power of a million exploding suns (not a thousand, by the way). Sigh.

He can slap a Herald of Galactus around with ease but needs help from Ms. goddamn Marvel and bloody Wonder Man to catch the Helicarrier

which herald did he slap around with ease? sorry but i haven't read that many stories involving the Sentry. just curious. thanks!
    Terrax.

Terrax really is most likely the weakest herald, especially if Annihilation is the gold standard for all things cosmic now.
    In Annihilation Terrax broke a planet in half. That is hardly weak. I am struggling to think of times the other heralds have performed comparable feats.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

which herald did he slap around with ease? sorry but i haven't read that many stories involving the Sentry. just curious. thanks!
    Terrax.

Terrax really is most likely the weakest herald, especially if Annihilation is the gold standard for all things cosmic now.
    In Annihilation Terrax broke a planet in half. That is hardly weak. I am struggling to think of times the other heralds have performed comparable feats.

There were these two beings as powerful as Galactus. Tenebrous and Aegis. You might have heard of them.

Silver Surfer killed both of them at the same time.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Terrax.

There were these two beings as powerful as Galactus. Tenebrous and Aegis. You might have heard of them.

Silver Surfer killed both of them at the same time.

Leave it to DC to overpower their characters

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Don't you think that was Bendis's way of demonstrating just how powerful lady Ultron is?

I mean, it's really not hard to think that way

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Don't you think that was Bendis's way of demonstrating just how powerful lady Ultron is?

I mean, it's really not hard to think that way

Well it obviously was.

I'm just saying that Ultron, unless somehow in the posession of the Power Cosmic, should never be able to do that.

The Sentry has single-handedly fought Galactus to a standstill.

Neither Ultron nor Tony Stark have ever come close to the Sentry's level of power. Not even put together.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ah, I get what you're trying to say

I need to read the first Sentry mini

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hate overly powered characters. If they want to bring Sentry down to where a super-Ultron can make him bleed, that's fine with me.

If they want her to break his neck I wouldn't complain either

Scooter on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I hate overly powered characters. If they want to bring Sentry down to where a super-Ultron can make him bleed, that's fine with me.

If they want her to break his neck I wouldn't complain either

Hell, I'll buy Bendis a beer.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Sentry's not overpowered, he's powerful. He comes across as overpowered because he's being used in ways he shouldn't be, i.e. as a guy who fights other guys.

The Sentry's not about fighting other guys, he's about the Sentry and the Void, and their struggle.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Sentry's not overpowered, he's powerful. He comes across as overpowered because he's being used in ways he shouldn't be, i.e. as a guy who fights other guys.

The Sentry's not about fighting other guys, he's about the Sentry and the Void, and their struggle.
    Exactly. Putting him on any Avengers team wasn't the brightest idea, really.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Using him outside of his excellent Mini was stupid. His origianl Mini was great and consider it one of my favorite comics. using him beyond that makes the story useless

Algertman on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    The second mini was also damn good.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

Using him outside of his excellent Mini was stupid. His origianl Mini was great and consider it one of my favorite comics. using him beyond that makes the story useless

I don't think it was stupid. I think it makes sense within the MU. Why wouldn't Tony or any power want to have him at their beck and call? Supes is constantly holding back, why can't Sentry? I hate using sports analogies, but he's like a major league pitcher told to go to AAA, he slacks and its the greatest thing ever to his team mates.

edit: Also is Cable back to Super Saiyan Jesus Face now?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's stupid from a writing perspective.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I read the Retro Girl trade, the first issues of the series, right? And then the one with the three black heroes that all die. I enjoyed the read, but when I sat back and thought about it...I couldn't really understand why. Or pick out things I liked about it. So that's why I'll stick with good, but not that good.

The Ultimates has great moments, and I've bought like two issues simply because I would skim it and be amazed at Hawkeye doing something crazy, or Hulk eating someone, and want to have hard proof that the craziness is real. And I'll admit...I own every issue of Ultimate Iron Man. I think I even have a variant cover of one. But that's only because Orson Scott Card fucking wrote it. I tried to read a book about Christopher Columbus just because of this man.

My problem with the U-line is the simple shittiness of, hey, let's just update everything for the modern age and recycle all the stories we've already told. Instead of just making the real titles better. It's a rip-off, I think.

(Apparently my moment of the week is when I made you all hate me.)

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To be perfectly honest. I didn't even know who the sentry was until New Avengers. When I first saw the sentry cover for break out I thought it was Hyperion. Strangly I still wish it was Hyperion :\

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I stumbled across some collection of the Sentry arc, and trying to understand him, his (apparently non-existant) wife, and the Void made my head hurt. The best moment was when it looked like the only people left standing were Namor and Gorgon. I love it when Namor goes nuts and starts wrecking everyone's shit.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So Reynolds you hate the Ultimate line except for the absolute worst book it has ever produced?

Okay.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    My problem with the U-line is the simple shittiness of, hey, let's just update everything for the modern age and recycle all the stories we've already told. Instead of just making the real titles better. It's a rip-off, I think.

(Apparently my moment of the week is when I made you all hate me.)

Yeah, that didn't really happen. Also, The Normal modern marvel line updates itself as well. In other words, you haven't actually read anything, and don't really know all that much about Marvel. Which is fine, just don't be surprised when you say "Marvel suxorzx!1!11!" and we call you on it. And don't give me crap about how you only said it was Ultimate lines that sucked, as you apparently have never actually read them anyway.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love Marvel. I was never a big DC fan until recently, right before Crisis. And I never said I read Ultimates, I said they were dead to me as soon as they were created. Except Iron Man, because Card transcends all boundries. I've enjoyed a lot of the current Marvel stuff, but none of the mainstream. Like I skipped all Civil War besides Runaways/Young Avengers, and have almost the full run of Exiles. Hell, I even bought Livewires...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And I never said I read Ultimates, I said they were dead to me as soon as they were created.

This is why I'm making fun of you.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Card isn't a very good writer at all, especially not a very good Iron Man writer (brains do not work that way, Orson Scott Card, not even in comics, and you just changed everything Iron man is about). It's very interesting that you hate the line save for the worst thing in it.

Also you don't know anything about the Ultimate line at all, so you should probably just stop talking about it, seeing as you don't know what the hell you're saying.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really, really liked Ultimate Iron Man.

So there.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Card isn't a very good writer at all, especially not a very good Iron Man writer (brains do not work that way, Orson Scott Card, not even in comics, and you just changed everything Iron man is about). It's very interesting that you hate the line save for the worst thing in it.

Also you don't know anything about the Ultimate line at all, so you should probably just stop talking about it, seeing as you don't know what the hell you're saying.

Uh, brains can work that way in comics. It's FICTION!

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I know, Algertman, I was merely trying to say that it's retarded even for comic book science.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I know, Algertman, I was merely trying to say that it's retarded even for comic book science.

Uh, no it's not

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Uh, no it's not

Uh, yeah it is.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait, what is it about brains that he got wrong?

I found it all perfectly plausible in a comic-book-science kind of way.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Uh, no it's not

Uh, yeah it is.

nuh-uh

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ultimate Iron Man was pretty stupid. I kinda ignore it.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So Reynolds do you hate the All-Star line as well?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Plus, if we wanted to read about Bean, we'd probably read a book about Bean.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Plus, if we wanted to read about Bean, we'd probably read a book about Bean.

The chances of that happening though...

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    And I never said I read Ultimates, I said they were dead to me as soon as they were created.

Congratulations, you're a fucking retard.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I briefly remembered reading the whole brain thing about Ult. Iron Man, so I looked it up in wikipedia and I can completely see why people bash it.
    Really? REALLY? His whole body is just one big brain? And the whole thing with drinks lessening the pain robs the character of Tony Stark of something that has made him stand out from a lot of other super heroes. This basically gives him an "out" for being an alcoholic.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like just about all the Ultimates line, including Iron Man. I like the changes because frankly, I don't want just normal Iron Man in another universe. I like that they've changed some fundamental things about him, to explore new avenues. One of the things I don't like about U. Spider-Man is I don't feel like they've changed him enough. It just feels like normal spider-man, but with the story more condensed, for the most part.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Card was trying too hard to apply all the shit he did in the Enderverse.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ultimate Iron Man is a decent story, and an all right comic book, but it is a poor Iron Man story.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ultimate Iron Man is a decent story, and an all right comic book, but it is a poor Iron Man story.

But it's a good Ultimate Iron Man story.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif