As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Wishmaster is a Djinn iirc

Genie is just an anglicized version of Djinn or Jinn

Not according to masterwork Sonic and the secret rings

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In the Sonic cinematic universe what is the difference between a genie and a djinn

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Game Genie was third party I believe

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    In the Sonic cinematic universe what is the difference between a genie and a djinn

Djinns are assholes but are more powerful and genies make sandwiches and trap you in books accidentally

• Options
    edited June 2019
    No those are Pagemasters trapping people in books. Wishmasters make you break your own back and stick your head up your b hole

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Are you actually fuckin serious that in the sonic extended universe genies and djinns are distinct classes of entity

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've actually seen a lot of interpretations that present the idea that Genies are good and Djinn are bad

And I don't know if it's really worth reading into it a whole lot

But the fact that the westernized one is the good one definitely strikes me a bit odd

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    No those are Pagemasters trapping people in books. Wishmasters make you break your own back and stick your head up your b hole

It sickens me that there is no available youtube clip of the djinn making that one guys skeleton come to life as an angry screaming skeleton while it is still inside his integument

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Seems to me that guy was asking for it if he let a skeleton live inside of him

That's definitely something I'd like to see

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

okay and what about puppetmasters

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Everybody just watch Wishmaster

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I feel like I've actually seen a lot of interpretations that present the idea that Genies are good and Djinn are bad

And I don't know if it's really worth reading into it a whole lot

But the fact that the westernized one is the good one definitely strikes me a bit odd

I am not sure it is even that deliberately nefarious, I think D&D made that distinction going back to the Gygax area and there are a damn lot of nerds writing tv and movies to see it propagated.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Ok, but now you only have 2 wishes left

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Are you actually fuckin serious that in the sonic extended universe genies and djinns are distinct classes of entity

Sinbad classic Kazaam too

• Options
    edited June 2019

alien slugs tryin' to up and control Donnie Sutherland

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Djinn is a way cooler word than genie

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Historical etymology notes, in case anyone else is interested:

The word genie comes originally from the Latin genius, which referred to a guardian spirit. This may have come from an adaptation of Middle Eastern beliefs (the Palmyran Gny looks fairly similar), or it may have been a Roman idea that happens to branch from proto-Indo-European language. Genius moved into French as génie, where it was being used both to mean a magical spirit and more similarly to our modern usage for genius. When Antoine Galland first translated One Thousand and One Nights from Arabic, he used this word for Jinn, at least partially due to the similar sound between the words. And then in subsequent translations from French to English, we lose the accent mark and end up with the word genie.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    At my last house we marathoned the Wishmaster series and it totally ruined our ability to communicate in any other way than Wishmaster impersonations

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Dangit I was thinking puppet master not puppet masters

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

what's lars ulrich got to do with this

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

No, that's Master Of Puppets

puppet master is when you create an alt account on a forum to agree with your posts so it looks like you have more support than you actually do

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

The word genie comes originally from the Latin genius, which referred to a guardian spirit. This may have come from an adaptation of Middle Eastern beliefs (the Palmyran Gny looks fairly similar), or it may have been a Roman idea that happens to branch from proto-Indo-European language. Genius moved into French as génie, where it was being used both to mean a magical spirit and more similarly to our modern usage for genius. When Antoine Galland first translated One Thousand and One Nights from Arabic, he used this word for Jinn, at least partially due to the similar sound between the words. And then in subsequent translations from French to English, we lose the accent mark and end up with the word genie.

am I wrong or is Jinni the plural form of Jinn

• Options

am I wrong or is Jinni the plural form of Jinn

Other way around, I think. Jinni is the singular and Jinn the plural.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

puppet master is when you create an alt account on a forum to agree with your posts so it looks like you have more support than you actually do

hm, yes, I see what you mean, "Chincymcchilla"

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

hm, yes, I see what you mean, "Chincymcchilla"

I assure you the meager support I have amassed is entirely my own doing/fault

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Legion is back and it is all about Lauren Tsai now

I like her a lot and I'm okay with this

But I have to guess Noah Hawley is a Terrace House fan because he seems to have written the character for her. She's even an illustrator like Lauren

And the premier is directed by Pixar's Andrew Stanton (WALL-E, both Nemos)

Though I have to say this show has not made any sense to me for a long time now

• Options
    Now I need to see how bad this Striking Vipers episode is

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Legion is back and it is all about Lauren Tsai now

I like her a lot and I'm okay with this

But I have to guess Noah Hawley is a Terrace House fan because he seems to have written the character for her. She's even an illustrator like Lauren

And the premier is directed by Pixar's Andrew Stanton (WALL-E, both Nemos)

Though I have to say this show has not made any sense to me for a long time now

Im going to get around to it tonight, and I'm ridiculously excited. Legion is probably my favorite thing on TV right now and I'm glad they knew it was ended so they could wrap up...whatever it is they're doing.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Now I need to see how bad this Striking Vipers episode is

AHAHAHA

I wasn't prepared for just how dumb that episode was. Amazing

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Genies are hot subservient women who live in lamps and have magical powers.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    NBC finally made the confirmation announcement of the expected: January 2021 when the deal is up, The Office will be pulled from Netflix and placed on NBC's own streaming service

CNBC says Netflix tried to keep it for up to $90mil a year. The attempt was rejected

Set to launch early next year, NBC's streaming service will be free for traditional pay-TV subscribers, and is expected to be $10/month for cord-cutters

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    In completely unrelated news, Pirate Bay traffic predicted to increase 5000% in January of 2021.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    NBC finally made the confirmation announcement of the expected: January 2021 when the deal is up, The Office will be pulled from Netflix and placed on NBC's own streaming service

CNBC says Netflix tried to keep it for up to $90mil a year. The attempt was rejected

Set to launch early next year, NBC's streaming service will be free for traditional pay-TV subscribers, and is expected to be $10/month for cord-cutters

Unless this effects Good place on Hulu I'm not really concerned

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Important PSA

Forged in Fire is getting 39 new episodes added to Hulu on July 1st

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Barry
    Surprise Jon Hamm!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    @poorochondriac got me back on that claws tip

i forgot just how dope that pilot was

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

The speed at which they establish characters is so fuckin' impressive

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The thing to remember is lamps (and bottles, and rings) are basically genie prison. Its where good genie (and jewish wizards) stick very very bad genie. The wishes are a bribe. "Yo dude, let me out of prison and I'll give you wishes."

If they werne't asshole genies they wouldn't be in that lamp in the first place. Of course they're gonna screw you over.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options

The speed at which they establish characters is so fuckin' impressive

i immediately knew them all. everything about the nail crew and roller felt so lived in and blended with these dope performances and i felt like it was season five of a show i watched for years.

which is doubly impressive considering it had to untrain the typecasting in yer brain regsrding niecy nash and judy reyes.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    also casting dean norris to play florida dennis hof is just...the best tv idea

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.