Options

[Dem Primary] — Debate July 30-31 — “For the love of God stop talking about 2016”

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Mayabird wrote: »
    ....he forgot that was the point and now he's on some weird quixotic ego trip or something, burning all the goodwill he had garnered.

This one sounds the most believable, if only because it wouldn't be the first time that someone decides to do that. Beto really started to believe his own hype.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    ....he forgot that was the point and now he's on some weird quixotic ego trip or something, burning all the goodwill he had garnered.

This one sounds the most believable, if only because it wouldn't be the first time that someone decides to do that. Beto really started to believe his own hype.

I mean before other more credible people got involved I could see getting involved for fear that like Biden would be the nominee. But once the field was clearly not in need of his genericness? He should have read the room and helped in texas specifically and look for an opening there, be it being a congressman again, be it running for governor? Or maybe another senate run, president seems like a huge jump

Same with Buttgieg, he's a small time mayor that seems to struggle at that job, the jump doesn't feel justified.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Unfortunately either no one told him that his job was to take one for the team/greater good or he forgot that was the point and now he's on some weird quixotic ego trip or something, burning all the goodwill he had garnered.

The extremely online conspiracy take is that it is the PSA guys who made him run for president because they worked on that documentary of his Senate campaign (there's a point where they suggest running for pres is an option post-midterms, and to be fair at least one of them was very vocally boosting his entering the presidential primary at the end of 2018).

Of course this ignores O'Rourke has agency in his decisions, and if this were actually something that tipped his thoughts over the line, it speaks worse about O'Rourke than the former Obama staffers.

On another note (because it was raised in the ongoing "Kamala is a cop" discourse), continuing to toss out the annecdote that Bernie was a participant in the Civil Rights movement as a college student does not automatically absolve his responsibility of being more vocal about racial justice as presidential candidate for the US. As has been noted, he does attract young minority support, has now hired some of those folks in his 2020 campaign, and proposed new policies like his Thurgood Marshall plan which are encouraging. Let's not forget however, this is someone who poo-poo'ed the idea of reparations in 2016, meanwhile Warren has been very explicit about highlighting how her policies will specifically help PoC in addition to Americans more broadly.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I'm fine with him running for president conceptually, I think he's taken an unfair amount of flak just for deciding to do so. He was in Congress for six years; that's not a great resume, but it's not too bad. He ran an exceptional Senate campaign in the second-largest state, one which would easily have been good enough to win in any swing state--unfortunately, it was in deep-red Texas, which is why it's not really fair to bash on him for losing to Cruz. I'll take those two things over being the mayor of the 306th most populated city in the US (Buttigieg) let alone the resumes of the Yangs and Williamsons out there.

While it would have been more beneficial for Beto to announce a second Senate run ASAP after losing, he's under no obligation to do so, and I don't think the mere fact of choosing to run for president is any more egotistical than any of the other candidates making the same choice.

Where he has failed though is in the way he launched his campaign (running around on a glorified vacation to "find himself") and in how he's run it since then. That looked bad, and he hasn't comported himself that well since then. He doesn't have a clear message. I think if you could say he's on an ego trip, that's the reason why. If I were him I would have used my experience in Texas to beat the drum louder and better than anybody else against Trump's immigration policy, right from the beginning. He's done that somewhat, but as Castro illustrated, he hasn't been nearly strong enough about it.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    That’s a very bold position to take on the Israeli Palestinian situation. Wonder if it will have an impact on other candidates.
    realistically bernie is probably the only one who can get away with it without being ilhan omared

Being Jewish will not protect him on this front. Probably make it worse, honestly.

oh it'll be quite bad, actually.

I mean, somebody that's Jewish has to be the one to say it and start pushing for it. But it'll be ugly pretty fast.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm very glad that Bernie is putting his neck out on the issue of the occupation of Palestine. I hope it pushes Warren (who has made some problematic statements on the issue in the past) further in that direction. Don't have much hope that it will do the same for any of the other candidates. Bernie continues to have my favorite foreign policy perspective.

I do think/hope that Netanyahu's government becoming increasingly unhinged and far right over the years it might be easier for US politicians on the left to oppose the current US-Israel relationship, though as we saw with Ihlan Omar, it's still an uphill struggle even within the Democratic Party. edit- Likud's pro-GOP/pro-Trump politics also help us in this regard, as do generally changing attitudes on Israel among younger Americans

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah it was a weak point for him in 2016 but his foreign policy is very good this time around

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I'm very glad that Bernie is putting his neck out on the issue of the occupation of Palestine. I hope it pushes Warren (who has made some problematic statements on the issue in the past) further in that direction. Don't have much hope that it will do the same for any of the other candidates. Bernie continues to have my favorite foreign policy perspective.

I do think/hope that Netanyahu's government becoming increasingly unhinged and far right over the years it might be easier for US politicians on the left to oppose the current US-Israel relationship, though as we saw with Ihlan Omar, it's still an uphill struggle even within the Democratic Party. edit- Likud's pro-GOP/pro-Trump politics also help us in this regard, as do generally changing attitudes on Israel among younger Americans

Well, Netanyahu is trying to cancel the new elections he asked Likud to call for, so....

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Honest question: how would you define or explain Bernie’s foreign policy? And what makes his approach different from, say, Obama’s (beyond rhetoric)?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well, Netanyahu is trying to cancel the new elections he asked Likud to call for, so....

A move that just screams confidence in his coalition and popularity.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Question: how come I’ve never seen anyone in here say “Klobuchar is a cop”?

Arguably her record is more “tough on crime” and pro-police than Harris ever was.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/25/18225011/amy-klobuchar-president-prosecutor-criminal-justice-record

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Question: how come I’ve never seen anyone in here say “Klobuchar is a cop”?

Arguably her record is more “tough on crime” and pro-police than Harris ever was.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/25/18225011/amy-klobuchar-president-prosecutor-criminal-justice-record

Because she's polling at like 2% and we mostly talk about how she's an abusive boss instead. If she was at Harris's level things would change.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't think anyone in this thread has strongly advocated for any of the 1% candidates... Which is a little unfortunate but understandable.

• Options
    Yeah I don't think anyone in this thread has strongly advocated for any of the 1% candidates... Which is a little unfortunate but understandable.

#teaminslee !!! Ok more realstically #teamwho

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think the only reason anyone here talks about Inslee is so many of us are from Washington.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I think the only reason anyone here talks about Inslee is so many of us are from Washington.

We are always so ignored.

Honestly I do believe Inslee is committed to climate change in a way literally no one else running is and to me Climate change is the major "we are so fucked" issue in the long term.

Which is not to say other candidates wouldn't be good on it, but Inslee is primarily focused on it in a way I wish the party was.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I mean, most of them are just kinda obviously not serious

I actually like inslee (for example) quite a bit... but he doesn’t feel like he’s really running to be president. It feels like this is an advocacy thing and he’ll be happy to run for governor again in a couple years.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Also Beto is mostly just unlucky to be running this particular election; if the current incumbent weren’t such a lightning rod and the field weren’t so full there’d be more space for him to carve out a new/fresh face type of strategy. As it is he’s kind of a face in the crowd with not that much to set him apart

• Options
    Climate change is where I kind of bristle about economic messaging, because the coal industry jobs are one of those "we can't put those people out of work!!!" when based on our ever warming ball of fire we totally need to.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Climate change is where I kind of bristle about economic messaging, because the coal industry jobs are one of those "we can't put those people out of work!!!" when based on our ever warming ball of fire we totally need to.

Also it's literally cheaper the earlier we act. Doing nothing is the most expensive option

• Options
    Yeah the whole Green New Deal messaging is kind of transparently ridiculous; it’s like if NASA came out and said ‘look, we think a meteor’s gonna hit the earth in 30 years and we need to get ready...’ and then politicians started talking about how we could create jobs in the meteor services sector.

But if that’s the only way we can make ourselves talk about collective action problems then I guess it’s the path we gotta take

• Options
    Painting a massive rework of the US economy as a jobs program seems pretty solid to me.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

We are always so ignored.

Honestly I do believe Inslee is committed to climate change in a way literally no one else running is and to me Climate change is the major "we are so fucked" issue in the long term.

Which is not to say other candidates wouldn't be good on it, but Inslee is primarily focused on it in a way I wish the party was.

I respect the man for sticking to his guns with the understanding that literally nothing else matters in forty years if we don't act now.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've recently taken to watching Some More News. They did an episode on Joe Biden a few weeks ago and, with citation, make the case that he should primary challenge Donald Trump as a Republican. It's pretty fascinating, imo. I mean, I know nobody here likes Biden to begin with, but in case you know people that do support Biden, have them hear this stuff out and push for Biden to get out of the Democratic Primary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx6MgBjR4K0

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Astaereth wrote: »

Honest question: how would you define or explain Bernie’s foreign policy? And what makes his approach different from, say, Obama’s (beyond rhetoric)?

First and foremost that the trend of authoritarian far-right "populism" is a real threat that calls for a concerted global effort to deal with, rather than just a problem for individual nations to sort out in their respective political economies (though it is far from ideal, see how the EU is slowly grappling with it on an intra-Europe level particularly with Hungary, Poland, and most recently, Austria).

More explicitly distance the US from countries we've traditionally done business (read arms sales with) with like Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Egypt in the face of current disingenuously bellicose rhetoric towards Iran.

Address the migration crises (particularly in the Americas) as part and parcel with climate change, and in particular with the Americas, address it as an issue beyond the US-Mexico border that requires more than just "smart security" and throwing some token monies/oversight to the "northern triangle" countries, which have in the past mitigated some of the issues that have been causing people to flee to the US, but have had tenuous protections from being rolled back (see Trump getting rid of funding for programs in Guatemala, which the government was all too happy to remove, for, I shit you not, announcing they would move their Israeli embassy to Jerusalem; this is what the Trump admin wanted in return for getting rid of aid/oversight to Guatemala).

That's off the top of my head, and that last point was brought up in his first debate performance.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Liz is having a 20% off sale on her loot. The coupon code is HATFORTHAT.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yeah the whole Green New Deal messaging is kind of transparently ridiculous; it’s like if NASA came out and said ‘look, we think a meteor’s gonna hit the earth in 30 years and we need to get ready...’ and then politicians started talking about how we could create jobs in the meteor services sector.

But if that’s the only way we can make ourselves talk about collective action problems then I guess it’s the path we gotta take

The would you save Miami question in the first debate was silly
    That city is gone accept it

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Here's Jay Inslee, the climate-changed-focused presidential candidate, pointing out that the debates only focused on climate for a scant few minutes:

An activist group called the Sunrise Movement camped out in front of the DNC's offices for multiple days. Like Inslee, they are calling for a debate focused entirely on climate change:

So far the DNC's position has been that there will be no such debate and that any candidate who participates in one will be blacklisted:
    the DNC’s so-called “exclusivity clause,” which became a source of conflict during the 2016 presidential primary, bars candidates who take part in unsanctioned debates from participating in subsequent official ones. Inslee called it a “gag rule.”...The DNC said the rule “was first implemented in 2016 to ensure that the debate schedule was reasonable and left time for candidates to campaign.”...“The DNC communicated the rules to every campaign at their initial briefing, including in March for the Inslee campaign, and no one objected,” Xochitl Hinojosa, a DNC spokeswoman, told HuffPost by email. “The DNC has also been very clear that candidates can participate in as many forums as they’d like.”

Apparently at least 14 candidates have said they support Inslee's call for a climate debate, which begs the question, why don't they just do it? What's the DNC gonna do, blacklist all the candidates?
    at least 14 other contenders, including Warren, former Vice President Joe Biden and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand backed Inslee’s call for a debate

But in any case, the Sunrise Movement recently tweeted this:
    UPDATE: Yesterday, the @DNC scheduled a vote on the #ClimateDebate at their August meeting.

I can't find any independent confirmation, though.

Anyway it would be nice if we had a climate debate, because...

vmca9j630eol.gif

wandering on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There *is* going to be a much more useful climate forum over two days in September. But it won't be on TV in primetime.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    August f that call the meeting now and decide you have votes ridding on this

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Nobody is voting this year.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

Some make up their mind long before

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's not like the debate would be anytime soon if they held the vote tomorrow. This stuff takes time to plan.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

It's not like the debate would be anytime soon if they held the vote tomorrow. This stuff takes time to plan.

I know but setting it up now will show you do care about the issue and are not tone deaf like a certain other party

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If they set itup now, then we have to listen to Marianne Williamson tell us that the way to heal the planet is with Love and this 5 shiny rings of different colours that she's found.

If they wait for a while before holding the debate, then they can get rid of some of the lesser knowns/also rans/not very serious candidates and give more time for the folks like Inslee, Warren, Harris, Biden, and Sanders to actually have something akin to a conversation about things.

Not just 5-10 minutes to speak over 2 hours.

there is some value to waiting to organize it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I know but setting it up now will show you do care about the issue and are not tone deaf like a certain other party

Who knows if they can schedule it now. And it's not like the debate would happen before August anyway. They put it on the agenda, that's the important part.

• Options
    If they set itup now, then we have to listen to Marianne Williamson tell us that the way to heal the planet is with Love and this 5 shiny rings of different colours that she's found.

If they wait for a while before holding the debate, then they can get rid of some of the lesser knowns/also rans/not very serious candidates and give more time for the folks like Inslee, Warren, Harris, Biden, and Sanders to actually have something akin to a conversation about things.

Who knows how long she is going to last is a problem as there are things in motion to make sure she doesn't drop out early. Tulsi Gabbard will just go on social media or other media and decry how unfair it was and it drew to/away focus to other pressing concerns. I do understand the value of waiting and seeing. Hurricane season hits it's stride from august-oct so that would be a news topic drawing away from the overall discussion on climate.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

The weird part is Climate Change may be the one part where she didn't go off into any of that, but instead said we needed to go for a Kennedian Moonshot project to tackle the issue.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Well Jersey and Virginia, but only because we take the stupidest approach to state elections.

This discussion has been closed.