As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    In a way I wish the skills challenges were open to anyone to compete. I’m pretty sure there are some guys out that there that can do well in them but will never make the ALL Star ballot.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Elias Pettersson with the third hardest shot as the only forward and smallest competitor by 20-50 pounds

I looked away, and when they showed Pettersson next to.... Weber? I thought Pettersson was a stickboy.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Somehow, the Canuck's got a franchise #1 centre with a 5th overall pick, followed by a franchise, #1 defenseman with the 7th overall pick the next year.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That's a good name in a different city.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hard disagree.

The Kraken is AWESOME.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm down with it. It sounds like a minor league team name but eh

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Eh, its better than Salmon or Sockeyes or w/e.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I just said it aloud and didn't like how it sounded.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I was really pulling for the Frasier Cranes.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I have a moral objection to teams whose names don't end in s, but they could have done a whole lot worse.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    I just said it aloud and didn't like how it sounded.

I can imagine, when one of the Original Six, Detroit Red Wings, debut in ye old NHL, that the name sounded funny.

But enough of us Hypocritical Blackhawks fans.

Kraken is infinitly superior to Salmon, Sockeye, Sasquatch.

Yeah Seattle fans, I went there!

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Official ranking

1. Sockeye (but also the name of Seattle's professional Ultimate team. Doesn't appear to be trademarked?)
    2. Sasquatch
    3. Kraken
    4. Other

But, also, the already announced color scheme only really matches the sockeye, so

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Really should have gone with the best Seattle name. Spoilered for large.
    dB3HMJw.jpg

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I see a billion more crows than pigeons, but I work in Bothell

I like rain city, tho

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Official ranking

1. Sockeye (but also the name of Seattle's professional Ultimate team. Doesn't appear to be trademarked?)
    2. Sasquatch
    3. Kraken
    4. Other

But, also, the already announced color scheme only really matches the sockeye, so

The Seattle It's Not Pink It's Salmons

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Official ranking

2. Sasquatch
    3. Kraken
    4. Other

The Seattle Other seems like it'd be amazing. Going for a kind of Eldritch horror idea. :wink:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    I have a moral objection to teams whose names don't end in s, but they could have done a whole lot worse.

I would normally agree, especially with singular animals but with the Kraken in particular I'm willing to make an exception as the imagery of each of the players as individual tentacles of a singular team Kraken absolutely works for me.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Just call them the SuperDuperSonics

• Options
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I tried watching the Caps-Preds game in the second period last night and had to stop after Bonino's own-goal (that they credited to former linemate Carl Hagelin, no less).

Saros had a bad time.

I have no idea who won because I put on Carnival Row after the 2nd period.

I'm trying to watch more hockey but periods like that make it tough. I can only hope Nashville kept it close in the third.

• Options
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Well at least they can tank to drive up their first round pick....

Oh... right.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

Damn.. he's one of my fav players on the team.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I tried watching the Caps-Preds game in the second period last night and had to stop after Bonino's own-goal (that they credited to former linemate Carl Hagelin, no less).

Saros had a bad time.

I have no idea who won because I put on Carnival Row after the 2nd period.

I'm trying to watch more hockey but periods like that make it tough. I can only hope Nashville kept it close in the third.

If you have the capability, you might want to finish watching that game.
    Caps let that one get away :bigfrown:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Is that the sound of a Joe Thornton trade?

• Options
    Man, have a look at the Sharks Capfriendly page. Unless this is a one year blip in form, they are screwed for a loooong time with those Burns, Vlasic and Karlson contracts. And Martin Jones too. Woof.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, after I saw the Karlson signing, and then Thornton, and then Marleau coming back, I figured Doug Wilson needed to go. I really don't know if they have good prospects in the system, but I know the Sharks are fucked for the next few years.

• Options
    Can they make some aggressive trades to help themselves? When does Seattle start picking up contracts, and would that be able to help?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Can they make some aggressive trades to help themselves? When does Seattle start picking up contracts, and would that be able to help?

Not really, nobody really wants those contracts.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Yeah, after I saw the Karlson signing, and then Thornton, and then Marleau coming back, I figured Doug Wilson needed to go. I really don't know if they have good prospects in the system, but I know the Sharks are fucked for the next few years.

For whatever it's worth, the prospects guy at the Athletic has the Sharks with the 25th ranked prospect pool, and in a recent article going deep on their farm system he led with this:
    I’m going to be honest: The Sharks were actually a couple of slots lower on this list before recent NHL demotions propped them back up a little.

So yeah, San Jose's probably turbofucked until at least when Seattle comes on line in summer 2021, although when they do get going the Kraken(?) should be able to provide the two things that the Sharks need most, aside from the fountain of youth: cap relief and a goalie.

• Options
    How will Seattle picking up players land San Jose a goalie?

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Also, whomever wears #8 for the Seattle Kraken? Automatically a captain.

• Options

The only thing I can think of is "Seattle is guaranteed either Jarry or Murray from the penguins and maybe will trade one to San jose"?

Penguins gonna lose two goalies to the two expansion drafts

• Options

The only thing I can think of is "Seattle is guaranteed either Jarry or Murray from the penguins and maybe will trade one to San jose"?

Penguins gonna lose two goalies to the two expansion drafts

There are (at least) a couple other teams who look like they'll be in the same boat as Pittsburgh this time around. If things stay the way they are now (which I realize is a big if) both the Caps and Canucks would also be forced to expose either a good veteran goalie or a top prospect who has already had some NHL success - a recent mock expansion draft I saw had Seattle coming away with Holtby, Murray and Thatcher Demko, any of whom would be better than anyone the Sharks can run out there at the moment. That plus their big blank slate of a salary cap would make Seattle very attractive trading partners for San Jose.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hard disagree.

The Kraken is AWESOME.

The sockeye rumor was just as good
    hbloo1ax2czg.png

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

Not really, nobody really wants those contracts.

Not necessarily. Seattle is unlikely to be close to the cap for at least the first couple years. Heck, Vegas only got there so fast because of some blockbuster trades and questionable signings. At expansion, they were absolutely taking on other teams shit contracts in exchange for picks and prospects. (See: David Clarkson)

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I wonder if Seattle will be as aggressive. Los Vegas' success will be a tough act to follow. I'm sure Seattle doesn't want the rest of the league Kraken jokes at their expense.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, the folks who were formerly at Deadspin have opened a blog for Superbowl weekend. I got a proper chuckle out of this one:

https://unnamedtemporarysportsblog.com/the-biggest-sports-stories-we-didnt-get-to-cover-over-the-last-three-months/

• Options
    So, I'm trying to figure out this salary cap stuff again, and as far as I can tell:

Player Brody signs a contract for 5 years, totaling $500. This counts as $100/year against the teams salary cap, regardless of how much a player is given that year.

If a team doesn't want a player anymore, they can buy out the contract. Player Brody is bought out after the second year, is under 26. He had $300 left in the contract, so receives $100 over the next 6 years, which is counted toward that teams salary cap. ($16.67 a year vs $100, even if spread out over a longer period)

This all goes out the window kind of with signing bonuses? If Player Brody agrees to a 5 year, $500 contract, with a $500 signing bonus spread out over 5 years, and gets bought out at the same time, the team is now taking a $116.67 cap hit yearly? Because signing bonuses can't be bought out?

How do signing bonii work when trading? Does the receiving team take the SPC value and the signing bonus, or is the sending team still on the hook for the whole signing bonus?

This discussion has been closed.