As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    So we'd have to round it up to 69, right?

Nice.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, for those wondering how ads will look on helmets:

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i gotta be honest ads on helmets is like #478 on the list of things i'm concerned about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    It's bugging me more than it should I'll admit.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Ayy Canada guaranteed to make it to the playoffs now!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

i can understand a feeling that something has been violated which was previously, i dunno, pure in a sense. but really, the space is there. it's just money left on the table and doesn't really matter in rinks surrounded by ads and every power play brought to you by Volkswagen. i think that line is well crossed at this point

i could see myself bothered by details though, like is that money going to teams exclusively or do the players benefit at all? i'm not supportive of ideas that just further line owners' pockets

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    They're fixing the offsides rule! Not getting rid of it, yet, but a good improvement anyways

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

i can understand a feeling that something has been violated which was previously, i dunno, pure in a sense. but really, the space is there. it's just money left on the table and doesn't really matter in rinks surrounded by ads and every power play brought to you by Volkswagen. i think that line is well crossed at this point

i could see myself bothered by details though, like is that money going to teams exclusively or do the players benefit at all? i'm not supportive of ideas that just further line owners' pockets

The speculation on nhl twitter insiders is that this is a way to make the primary sponsors *whole* for the lost season last year. So they're probably not making anymore for either players or owners, just making the sponsors happy

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

The speculation on nhl twitter insiders is that this is a way to make the primary sponsors *whole* for the lost season last year. So they're probably not making anymore for either players or owners, just making the sponsors happy

i guess that's harmless enough, if dumb

• Options
    Of course, once the appear they won't be going away, so after next season, probably going solely to the owners

• Options
    If it gets some teams more revenue, I’m all for adding the advertising to the helmet. I would also be ok with ads on jerseys, as long as it’s done and limited as the NBA has done.

I don’t want to see it get crazy like some of the European hockey leagues, but more revenue streams is a good thing for the NHL, especially coming out of COVID.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does the off-sides change mean you can have one skate over and be fine? Just wondering if I read it correctly.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Does the off-sides change mean you can have one skate over and be fine? Just wondering if I read it correctly.

You could always have one skate over the line, no change there. They just simplified the challenge process so we don't have to try to analyse if the trailing skate is 1 pixel off the ice or still in contact.

• Options
    NBC sports is going to air the NWHL Isobelle Cup in February!

• Options

You could always have one skate over the line, no change there. They just simplified the challenge process so we don't have to try to analyse if the trailing skate is 1 pixel off the ice or still in contact.

which is especially fun because the line is on the opposite side of the ice from the skate

like vertically

so it can very much look like the skate is both off the ice and not on the line and both can be incorrect

now all they need is a top-down angle of the line and its either on over the line horizontally or not

• Options
    The small boy that does the goals had a good one tonight

Although the dman on the line probably looked better.

Also, I guess it was his second. He does like scoring goals in 2s
    Also, the small guy that scored a million goals in minor hockey that I wanted to drop, but was drafted by Montreal, Cole caufield, had his first NCAA hockey game today with Wisconsin Badgers.

Scored two more goals.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

Unfortunately still looks like you can put yourself offside if you skate into the zone backwards or try to dangle. Which is dumb.

• Options
    #EndOffsides2021

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Looking forward to the Kings and Ducks playing a home and home and home and home and home

• Options

Unfortunately still looks like you can put yourself offside if you skate into the zone backwards or try to dangle. Which is dumb.

I guess is the thought that you should be able to remain on side as long as any part of your body is over the blue line, or to kill the rule entirely? Because I feel like removing the rule entirely could have a lot of knock on effects.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    There's gonna be soooo much bad blood this season. Gonna be crazy.

Penguins/flyers/capitals all playing ~10 times is crazy.

Also, kucherov is getting hip surgery and will miss the entire season!?

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    His hip came down with a bad case of over the salary cap-itis.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Of course Gritty had to use that font.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular

The puck carrier can skate into the zone backwards or attempt to dangle so long as they maintain control of the puck.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I haven't watched hockey since getting rid of my TV a few years ago, but the all-Canadian division sounds really exciting and might make me pay attention again.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I haven't watched hockey since getting rid of my TV a few years ago, but the all-Canadian division sounds really exciting and might make me pay attention again.

This is going to be the year of the grudge match, as the conferences and the amount of play in them means that teams that Do Not Like Each Other are going to get to air their particular grievances repeatedly like it's a lengthened Festivus season.

The War of Alberta promises to be especially spectacular in that regard.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I know I'm a Lightning Fan and I'm biased, but... the structure of these divisions is curious as I'm trying to find a way for the Lightning to lose their division even with a benched Kuck for injuries/contract.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm actually considering NHL TV again for this madness. Even though the playoffs will be blacked out and I'll have to watch NBC.

BTW who is taking Doc Emerick's place?

• Options
    any NBC games that you can't watch live you can watch on Peacock i think 9 hours later or something like that

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm actually considering NHL TV again for this madness. Even though the playoffs will be blacked out and I'll have to watch NBC.

You'd think, especially with the covid travel/gathering issues, they could finally figure out this is a stupid idea and stop blacking out things. I'd sub in a heartbeat...

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

You'd think, especially with the covid travel/gathering issues, they could finally figure out this is a stupid idea and stop blacking out things. I'd sub in a heartbeat...

i think these days it's more due to broadcast contract agreements than the old incentive to fill seats thing

• Options
    Maybe, but NHL revenue is still primarily ticket driven, tho

According to Statista, NHL gate receipts from the 2017-18 season accounted for 37% of total revenue, compared to 27% in MLB, 22% in the NBA and 16% in the NFL. Forbes reviewed the same 2017-18 season and estimated 75% of NHL revenue came from tickets and affiliated gameday sales of merchandise and concessions.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-players-are-paid-like-other-major-pro-athletes-and-ticket-sales-cover-those-wages/

• Options
    edited January 2021
    fair point

it's just dumb when Caps games are blacked out for me in Richmond

i'm an hour and a half away i'm not going to Verizon Center on a whim

it's probably more to do with MASN agreements than an expectation i'll make the drive

Chanus on
  • Options
    Are there any matchups that are likely to be especially interesting?

• Options
    Since we are turning our TV streaming off next week, I’m considering picking up NHL TV. I think I should be OK for blackouts and such, as I live in Austin, but only really care about the Leafs and the Canadian division.

Can’t freaking wait to have hockey back.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

There will be a lot more instances of the traditional rivalry games that ought to be good. Montreal-Toronto play each other 10 times, Calgary-Edmonton 10 times, etc. And because the schedule has a bunch of mini series of three games between times, there's a lot of opportunity to build grudges.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »

There will be a lot more instances of the traditional rivalry games that ought to be good. Montreal-Toronto play each other 10 times, Calgary-Edmonton 10 times, etc. And because the schedule has a bunch of mini series of three games between times, there's a lot of opportunity to build grudges.

Sure, just not sure what teams are actually rivals, and what teams the NHL is trying to set up to be rivals, like what has been suggested with Kraken and Knights.

• Options
    Pens/flyers
    Pens/capitals

Are going to turn ugly and stupid, I bet.

The california teams all hate each other, but I don't know if any of them are good anymore.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Did you guys really think this stuff was going to stop at their helmets??

The NHL has sold division names.
    Scotia NHL® North Division
    Honda NHL® West Division
    Discover NHL® Central Division
    MassMutual NHL® East Division

Edit:

quovadis13 on
This discussion has been closed.