As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, Vancouver never made it into the top 10 bits thing last year. That seems worth noting considering how dominant they were (against everyone except SF, that is).

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Vancouver has released their entire team.

Rosters are about to look a lot different.

Personally, I'm hoping for GZ to nab Slime since Neptuno is out indefinitely with visa issues. Kellex just retired from Toronto though so that might be the prime landing spot for him.

I think any team would be pleased to pick up literally any of their players though. There are very few players in the league that they would not be an upgrade over.

Edit: to clarify, this hasn't been announced by the team yet but is being reported by multiple sources.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    In positive news, Fran's OW tourney prize pool started with just her winnings from the Echo cup, and is now up to 6k from donations. 1pm Pacific, May 4th on Fran's channel. Orisa/Mei/Brig banned, no tier 1 players allowed, T2 and below. Should be a lot of fun.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    GZC/SEO
    Nero cracked on Echo
    Eileen Ashe???
    Chara clutch

NYXL/SHD
    CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE

SirToasty on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    something something sandbagging

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Watching NY vs Shanghai, Echo has a pretty interesting balance situation

If the enemy team is just playing a rundown comp of Rein/reaper/mei/lucio etc, Echo's fairly useless in team fights. The enemy team just stays together, gets lots of healing, and barrels over Echo's teammates while she's floating around on flanks trying to get picks that usually aren't there. On the other hand her ult is massively good against that comp, rein reaper or mei are all great duplicates.

OTOH if the enemy team is playing something more divey, echo has more down time and more space to get picks on high priority targets, she works better in team fights. But her ult's nowhere near as good, it's a lot harder to get value when the enemy team can just run away and delay.

edit: there's also an interesting Orisa/Hog/Echo comp getting run. I think the theory is that while normally Hog hook isn't that effective vs tanks, with an Echo you can hook an enemy tank in that initial Hog burst + Echo stickies, followed up with Echo beam will almost guarantee a 100-0 kill on an enemy tank. And it means the Echo doesn't need to go flanking around, she can play closer to her team and just wait to punish the hooks. They didn't seem to get much success from it, but it's an interesting idea.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Shax is very good at Tracer.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    seoul
    seoul_cycle.png

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    CDH/NYXL
    That was one of the most Chengdu games I've seen. The essence of the team distilled.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I'm cheering for Team Old Man Strength on name alone

• Options
    Holy shit Paris's attack on Dorado was one of the nuttier maps ever

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    PHI vs. PAR is pretty good.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    via reddit:
    I propose we call Ashe/Echo comps "Killer Queen" on the grounds that it's dynamite with a laser beam.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    But is it guaranteed to blow your mind?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    But is it guaranteed to blow your mind?

judging on this weekend's OWL games, I would say yes absolutely. headshots and sticky bombs = many minds blown (up)

• Options
    No, you see, you were supposed to say ‘anytime’ and then someone else was supposed to play some guitar riffs.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's against my beliefs to quote song lyrics, i'm afraid

• Options
    fran's community tourney is live here:

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    misc beat me to it!

Kana on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    the gameplay, casting, spectating, and production values are all pretty top notch so far

it's also actually getting promoted on the bnet launcher PogU

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It seems like they're using Solomon's user-submitted ads, those things are always fun.

• Options
    Vancouver Titans: are scheduled to play this weekend

Also Titans:

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    wait

they still haven't announced their new roster??? just that they...don't have one anymore??

• Options
    wait

they still haven't announced their new roster??? just that they...don't have one anymore??

yeah it's pretty baffling huh? they play in four (4) days lol

i mean it's pretty obvious that they've signed a fully-formed contenders team that will be "ready" to play this weekend, but it's still just a monumental cock-up in every respect

• Options
    i think an official roster announcement is coming soon but yeah it's been leaked that they've signed most of one of the NA contenders teams

meanwhile their rivals give them a classy sendoff

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Is it bad that I find it hilarious that in their official statement it says that everyone agreed to mutually part ways except for Fissure?

He doesn't want to be the guy that was on 5 OWL rosters.

• Options
    https://kotaku.com/top-overwatch-team-loses-entire-player-roster-amidst-al-1843293398

if the source here is accurate then man that sucks for fissure

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I suspect part of the reason it took so long (and why Jjanu was announced first) was that they were trying to get people to leave without pay, and they only just now agreed. I wouldnt be surprised if part of the reason they havent announced is that the new players are extremely hesitant to sign when the release of old players is such a shitshow.

• Options
    https://kotaku.com/top-overwatch-team-loses-entire-player-roster-amidst-al-1843293398

if the source here is accurate then man that sucks for fissure

Yeah wow they straight fucked him if that's what happened.

• Options
    It's not like I'm in principle opposed to NA teams picking up NA players. There's way more good NA teams and players and maybe most importantly coaches out there now, and for a while teams were like only picking up Korean players because it's just what everyone else was doing. And just in like business terms it probably makes more sense, both with marketing and visas and all of that. There's reasons for Vancouver to be doing what they're doing that make sense to me.

Thing is it doesn't really seem like those are any of their reasons? All of the leaks seem to suggest that Vancouver was making life really shitty for their players and not making any of the efforts that other teams have made to help their players feel comfortable in a foreign country. And not really in the sense of management being assholes (or at least not only) but just that they weren't competent and they viewed their players as being completely plug-and-play, toy pieces to just pick up and deliver wins.

So like they had a good roster but they simply weren't competent enough to make it work, so now they have to go grab a NA roster.

• Options
    the other night was a good night for fraggin out on supports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgj5WGA-ssc
    (i got one more right after this and alllmost had the full pentakill but had to reload at an inopportune time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx1jlyXlsU4
    (i had fully resigned myself to dying from this mei)

also last night was my customary end-of-season comp games and i finally broke 2.8k!

3u8hh5zwth5q.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I don't remember who was playing Ana on Numbani the other night, but I never got to properly say thank you for this.
    https://youtu.be/LXau2S4ejDY

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Super has some very supportive friends.

Spoilered for size
    8t8xgjlm4gx41.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, games today were just awful. On e game I was Sigma with four golds. My teammates complained I moved up the whole game.

• Options
    I too have noticed an increase in...a certain kind of player.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Last night i played OW for the first time in like a month (i basically never play unless i can get a party of at least 3 going).
    Despite watching OWL weekend, once I was actually in game i forgot the names of literally everything. It took me like 10 seconds to relay that I waa being killed ny doomfist.

Also ran into a group that coordinated to post the forbidden slur post match so that each only had 2 characters per message. So that was a fun report to try and explain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'm taking a bit of a break and tune in to Sideshow picking D.va and admitting that he is terrible with her. I believe him because I suspect he has forgotten D.va has micro-missiles.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    He pulled off a dragonblade so bad earlier that it made me feel good about mine.

EDIT: Aw heck it didn't get clipped.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    the other night was a good night for fraggin out on supports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx1jlyXlsU4
    (i had fully resigned myself to dying from this mei)

What color scheme is that Zen? Is that the Seoul team away colors?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.