As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Mystery heroes is by far the most tilting game mode. I can't understand how so many people have the mental stamina for it to be a permanent game mode.

I feel like the best solution would be to have both Balanced (for whatever definition of “balance” the community chooses) and True Random. And then you can add a button on top of both of those for Shortest Queue which would throw you into either mode if you’re feeling extra flexible.

If balanced consisted of at least 1 of each role then I'd be down. Maybe some sort of rotating thing where if your healer is the first to die they don't get locked into being the healer all the time. That's all i ask. Let it give the other team 3 bastions on occasion, i don't mind. I just hate when I feel like I and my team are outplaying the other team but lose anyway because we did 4 team fights in a row without a healer or tank and eventually the attrition became too much.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Interesting that LAG would trade their in game translator when this season's been plagued with communication issues between the front and back lines.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Bischu's gone on record saying that his role is overblown when it comes to in-game translations? I don't remember the exact wording but it was something to the effect of -- while he can translate, there's so much going on that he can't really do that kind of on-the-fly translation effectively.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah most comms are MONKEYMONKEYMONKEYMONKEY

• Options
    Also I think on LAG specifically, most of their members are now proficient enough in English that they likely don't need an in-game translator anymore. At least, judging by the in-game comm videos they've been releasing, the korean members can clearly follow the conversation and contribute in English if needed.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Mystery heroes is by far the most tilting game mode. I can't understand how so many people have the mental stamina for it to be a permanent game mode.

I feel like the best solution would be to have both Balanced (for whatever definition of “balance” the community chooses) and True Random. And then you can add a button on top of both of those for Shortest Queue which would throw you into either mode if you’re feeling extra flexible.

If balanced consisted of at least 1 of each role then I'd be down. Maybe some sort of rotating thing where if your healer is the first to die they don't get locked into being the healer all the time. That's all i ask. Let it give the other team 3 bastions on occasion, i don't mind. I just hate when I feel like I and my team are outplaying the other team but lose anyway because we did 4 team fights in a row without a healer or tank and eventually the attrition became too much.

Yeah, there are a lot of ways you could do Balanced, ranging from the simplistic “each team needs at least 1 of each role at all times” to something complicated.

But I agree with you. It just needs some kind of trigger like “if current team has no healers and enemy team has 2 or more healers, highly increased chance that next death on current team will spawn as a healer” ... or “for every spawn that is not a healer, increase chance that next spawn will be a healer by X%”

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Hey so, the last patch shortened the current comp season by like, a month.

This has got to be to get Role Queue out sooner, right? It's finally time.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Hey so, the last patch shortened the current comp season by like, a month.

This has got to be to get Role Queue out sooner, right? It's finally time.

almost certainly, yeah

i'm hoping it also comes along with some sort of soft mmr reset or something, just to get a fresh take on placements with such a big change

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    An MMR reset would make a really terrible season of comp.

• Options
    They will have to have separate SR for the 3 roles. That first season will probably have 10 placements per role, then maybe a lower number per role for later seasons.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    lol they leaked it on their own website. It's been pulled but

brvqw76wmza31.png

It's coming to ranked as well

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Apparently I never actually had the "Simple Geometry" voice line, because I just got it out of a loot box.

It made me sad.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

to clarify, he's mad that they leaked it on accident literally the night before the official announcement, which he and others undoubtedly put a lot of time and effort into preparing - not the announcement itself

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    222 seems duuuuuuumb

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Blizzard has spent the last year proving that they can’t balance the game properly when OWL is running highly teamwork bases comps with roles stacked, while also trying to keep solo queuing ladder games balanced where people mostly run 222. They had to gut tanks and supports to make goats die, and now a lot of those heroes are pretty bad when they’re not in a goats comp. This makes it a lot simpler for them.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    "Balanced Mystery Heroes" idea: both teams get the same playlist of heroes. So you start with a mirror match, and the first person to die on each team gets the same seventh character. Maybe you won't always have the same composition, but if they have healers and you don't it's because either you killed them more often or they killed the healers both of you got afforded.

Hell, I could probably throw that together in the Workshop if I hadn't uninstalled a couple months ago... (I like keeping up with the news)

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    "Balanced Mystery Heroes" idea: both teams get the same playlist of heroes. So you start with a mirror match, and the first person to die on each team gets the same seventh character. Maybe you won't always have the same composition, but if they have healers and you don't it's because either you killed them more often or they killed the healers both of you got afforded.

Hell, I could probably throw that together in the Workshop if I hadn't uninstalled a couple months ago... (I like keeping up with the news)

So kind of a less goofy, team based hero gauntlet,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hmmmm seems like seagull and Fran are both at Blizz HQ, to stream shortly?

This is starting to sound like maybe they'll be unveiling more than just 2/2/2 and role lock, I don't really know why you'd need the big streamers around for that. Time for the new hero as well, hopefully?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Oh Fran is at Blizz HQ too? I thought she got a box from blizz in the mail so I figured she was doing a home stream

New hero + 2/2/2 seems to be the prevailing theory

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Kana wrote: »

This is starting to sound like maybe they'll be unveiling more than just 2/2/2 and role lock, I don't really know why you'd need the big streamers around for that. Time for the new hero as well, hopefully?

Kinda thought the new hero might hit the ptr at the same time just to encourage people to actually play ptr.

Edit:
    Oh Fran is at Blizz HQ too? I thought she got a box from blizz in the mail so I figured she was doing a home stream

New hero + 2/2/2 seems to be the prevailing theory

Seagull is almost certainly there, you could almost give him full credit for getting 2-2-2 because that video he put out awhile back.

Brutal J on
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

They will play a match where they are each simultaneously controlling a hero of each role to celebrate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Speaking of Fran, it looks like she wants to get into the pro scene.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Everyone be nice and act surprised

• Options
    https://blizztrack.com/patch_notes/overwatch_ptr/60392_0

I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to copy here but these are some fucking huge changes. Brigitte heals more and got rekt everywhere else, Reinhardt gets knocked back 30% less, Sym teleporter now lasts forever...

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wouldn't separate queues put you in.... separate matches from your friends

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Wow, these patch notes.

Besides Role Queue, ultimate costs were increased by 12% across the board, enemy slows no longer stack with self-slows (Widow scope/Rein shield/etc), bunch of Brigitte changes that look to change her into an actual support instead of "support btw", Reinhardt gets a passive which reduces knockback by 30%, and a bunch of other changes.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Do we know if the teleporter stays up if Symmetra dies? Could be interesting as a semi-permanent respawn shortcut on something like Hanamura defence

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Brig's shield is now only for emergencies and she's got boosted healing for others. Does this move her closer to just being pure support?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Brig's shield is now only for emergencies and she's got boosted healing for others. Does this move her closer to just being pure support?

if so it kind of makes sense - with 222 a hybrid support would be a tough pick to justify, because it would be putting a ton of pressure on the other healer

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    passive CC reduction for rein AND sombra nerfs?

halle fuckin lujah

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wouldn't separate queues put you in.... separate matches from your friends

Presumably, you group up, then select your role, then queue up.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So Brig has a bunch of audio cues now and I kinda find them really annoying and it seems there's no way to turn them off. There's 3 different beeps for each time she gains a charge of armor pack, and there's a beep (same as the first armor pack charge) for when Inspire procs.

Edit: Also the Ashe reload change seems small, but it sure does add up to making it feel noticeably quicker.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    if we're asking for audio changes can i pls get lucio's old wallriding sound back :sad:

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm gonna miss torturing rein's with chain boops, but as someone who tortures rein's with chain boops it was probably a change he needed heh.

edit: is there going to be the ability to flex queue in role queue? like be willing to take whatever slot just for faster queues?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really with the 222 system or the role rewards are basically what they did with healers and tanks in wow and that still is an issue
    So yeah

This discussion has been closed.