As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    So this is twice they’ve set up a new status quo for Thor at the end of a movie and then gone oh maybe not instantly. I mean I guess GotG3 could come out before but probably not.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    If we get the real Mandarin, I hope they find somewhere in the script for Ben Kingsley to come back.
    He has been kidnapped, hasn't he?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So this is twice they’ve set up a new status quo for Thor at the end of a movie and then gone oh maybe not instantly. I mean I guess GotG3 could come out before but probably not.

Considering that Quill was clearly unhappy about him being there, him being kicked off the ship ten minutes later would be completely believable.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »

Considering that Quill was clearly unhappy about him being there, him being kicked off the ship ten minutes later would be completely believable.

I would agree Thor would leave, but not because Quill told him to.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    If we get the real Mandarin, I hope they find somewhere in the script for Ben Kingsley to come back.

The actor or the character?

If the character, last I remember he was arrested at the end of IM3.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I used to give Portman shit for phoning in her Thor 2 stuff but... I've kind of come around to her side on the matter. The 2nd Thor was kinda meh.

I think she'll do well if given something juicier to work with. This looks to be rectifying that and I am looking forward to seeing actual Natalie Portman acting chops in an MCU film.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The actor or the character?

If the character, last I remember he was arrested at the end of IM3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceyJxMuYFE

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Gosh... I dunno. I have a hard time picturing Portman in the role. She is a great actress and fits perfectly in movies like Annihilation or Black Swan. And it isn't really her fault that she wasn't very interesting in her action/sci fi movies like Thor, the Star Wars prequels, or V for Vendetta.

Can she do the fun swagger of Waititi's Ragnarok? The closest movie I can think of that Portman was in was Your Highness. I don't remember her really standing out in the movie. Ragnarok was so good though that my hopes are high regardless.

furbat on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I vote for Kat Dennings as Lady Thor.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Terry Crews as Beta Ray Bill or no dice

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Thor 2 is the only Marvel movie I haven’t seen. Don’t know if I ever will. I barely liked Thor, everybody agrees 2 is the worst of the lot, and I’ve come this far without it.

Occasionally leads to some confusion, like in Endgame, but meh.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Thor 2 is the only Marvel movie I haven’t seen. Don’t know if I ever will. I barely liked Thor, everybody agrees 2 is the worst of the lot, and I’ve come this far without it.

Jane gets the reality stone stuck in her because it's also sometimes a red cloud.

Dark Elves try to kill everything when the 7 realms align using the reality stone, which causes the entire world to turn into the "Beyond" short in The Animatrix.

Selvig is naked at the start and weird through a lot of the movie.

Comic relief as the intern gets an intern.

Fun portal-based fight at the end with Mewmew trying to keep up with Thor.

That's about it.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Some of the actions scenes are neat, and you get a better feel for Asgard as a world than in Thor 1. But I think the only weaker MCU films are Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk. Look up the cool stuff on YouTube and then promptly forget it ever existed.

Also, if we're pairing Blade with Guardians, then the correct answer is Mantis.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    It came out in the Friday night panel that Portman originally had a speaking role in End Game with Rocket, but it was cut for time. So maybe those fences were mended a while ago? Or she had a good enough experience with that, she was willing to listen to offers.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Still kinda hoping Natalie Portman is a placeholder while they flesh out Valkyrie's story and maybe work out Tessa Thompson's contract. She is the kick ass lady Thor we deserve, unless Natalie fully embraces the action girl style and surprises us all.

I honestly have no idea what Thompson's contract with Marvel is right now.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I vote for Kat Dennings as Lady Thor.

With Ian still an intern.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just want to see more Kat Dennings + Natalie Portman + Kat Dennings' intern.

• Options
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It just now occurred to me that given the title and what we know of the plot about Thor: Love and Thunder,
    (spoilered for speculation)
    Thor might die. How else do you get lady Thor? Also, Hemsworth may decide to bow out. I don't think he is bored with the role, but maybe he wants to branch out more than he likes playing Thor. Also, there is some truth to the acting adage "always leave them wanting more". It would be a savvy move to finish the characters arc, go out in legendary style, and leave the final memory of his performance as perfection.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    You know, I feel like the diversity of Phase 4 compared to the rest of the MCU is on track to be REALLY fucking good.

Eternals -- Feige confirms LGBT characters, multiple people of color, a deaf actress in a major role
    Shang-Chi -- Obvious
    Black Widow -- Female lead
    Falcon and the Winter Soldier -- Person of color as arguably the lead of the duo
    WandaVision and Strange 2 -- If the reports are true the Scarlet Witch has a lot of agency in these two stories
    Thor 4 -- Literal lesbian romcom starring a woman of color, sounds like.
    Blade -- it's fucking Blade!
    Loki -- Hard to say. In the myths, Loki was queer af, should be interesting to see whether they lean into that.
    Hawkeye -- Probably the weakest link in the chain here, but even so they're using it as a vehicle to introduce Kate Bishop, so.... Seems good to me.
    What If...? -- Hard to classify an anthology show like this, but the first episode is reportedly about Super Soldier Peggy Carter, so we'll see.

I'm stoked for this phase, y'all.

• Options
    Oooh! How awesome would it be for RR Deadpool to have a cameo in Marvel's Blade!?

• Options
    Ever since Ragnorok leaned hard into the Heavy Metal theme and was incredibly successful, I just expected more of that.

It’s funny, when I first saw Ragnorok, I thoroughly despised it as I didn’t like the tone. But as soon as I watched it again, I “got it” and it rapidly shot up to top of my list along with Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Black Panther. I think only Infinity War beats them and will remain at the top of my list for the time being.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    It just now occurred to me that given the title and what we know of the plot about Thor: Love and Thunder,
    Thor might die. How else do you get lady Thor? Also, Hemsworth may decide to bow out. I don't think he is bored with the role, but maybe he wants to branch out more than he likes playing Thor. Also, there is some truth to the acting adage "always leave them wanting more". It would be a savvy move to finish the characters arc, go out in legendary style, and leave the final memory of his performance as perfection.

Hemsworth has already said he'll do it as long as he can, and he has Stormbreaker, so someone else can have Mjolnir (though it doesn't exist anymore), and if he's a part of an ensemble in the GOTG, then someone else can be the main Thor.

• Options

Hemsworth has already said he'll do it as long as he can, and he has Stormbreaker, so someone else can have Mjolnir (though it doesn't exist anymore), and if he's a part of an ensemble in the GOTG, then someone else can be the main Thor.

#1 rule of Comics

If it/they existed before, then it/they can exist again.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Yeah, Hemsworth Thor just needs Stormbreaker now. Someone else can get "the little one".
    https://youtu.be/SNX46xd7Hak

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    As much as I love Snipes in Blade, I am 1000% excited with Ali being cast. He was the best part of Luke Cage for me.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    As much as I love Snipes in Blade, I am 1000% excited with Ali being cast. He was the best part of Luke Cage for me.

I can't honestly see them topping the first two Blades. Just something special about them that Disney is too sanitised to replicate. Plus Wesley Snipes was just born for that role. You know, before he went insane and started living in character.

"Some motherfuckers always tryin' to ice skate up hill" is still part of my regular dialog.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I could see them going for a more classic gothic tone than what we got in the Snipes movies. Less nightclubs and raves, more shadowed cathedrals and horror.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, why are we getting Blade? Well...
    Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter after the presentation, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said that Ali called the studio after winning the Oscar for his work on Green Book. "When Mahershala calls, you answer," Feige said. At the meeting, Ali came right out and said that he wanted to do Blade. That was that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, why are we getting Blade? Well...
    Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter after the presentation, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said that Ali called the studio after winning the Oscar for his work on Green Book. "When Mahershala calls, you answer," Feige said. At the meeting, Ali came right out and said that he wanted to do Blade. That was that.

See, good on Ali for knowing what he wants and reaching for it, and good on Feige for having the sense not to do the standard megacorp thing of, "Well, we really aren't planning on doing that right now, but we'll call you when/if we do."

• Options
    The Snipes Blade movies were pretty fun, so I’m looking forward to seeing how the MCU incorporates them. I agree that the character will probably stay with the more mystical side of things, which I guess is just Dr Strange and Loki for now. Which is probably for the best unless then next Avengers has vampires in it or something.

It’s funny, I always give X-Men the credit for starting the modern comic trend, but I never realized until very recently that Blade was a comic too and predates X-Men in the modern era. I just thought Blade was a typical vampire movie that came out while the vampire craze was going on (Dracula 2000, Dusk till Dawn, etc).

steam_sig.png

• Options
    To be fair I don't think most people know Blade is a comic book film.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just want to know if they have a plan to canonically make it so that Cottonmouth turned into Blade.

• Options
    To be fair I don't think most people know Blade is a comic book film.

I didn't know until years later. There really is a lot of weird, obscure stuff in comics. Godzilla was canon in the Marvel universe, at least for a while.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Does Blade open with the Marvel logo?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Blade was technically the first Marvel Studios movie (before it had a name), since I'm pretty sure they never sold or gave away the rights for him

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think people know Blade was a comic book, they just don’t associate it with the marvel universe.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I demand they make him British, true to his comic origin.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blade was technically the first Marvel Studios movie (before it had a name), since I'm pretty sure they never sold or gave away the rights for him

Blade was New Line Cinema, wasn't it?

This discussion has been closed.