As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUPf5GagKF0
    The notion of a concentration camp goes way back to the 19th century, the Boer War. They were British inventions, built in South Africa, to house the men, women and children made homeless by the conflict, refugees. You see, everything is much older than we think, and everything old happens again.
    But, actually, it is worth pointing out, when we consider these Erstwhile Sites and how to make them work, they will never stop filling up. Never. Absolutely never. These problems will never go away. I can see the vast migration of people stretching ahead for centuries.
    So, what if we look back through history? Because the British found a way to empty those camps in South Africa, all those years ago. They simply let nature take its course. The camps were crowded, they were pestilent, they were noxious, they were rife with disease, which was on the one hand regrettable, and on the other hand fitting, because a natural selection process took place, and the population of the camps controlled itself. You might call it neglect, you might call it efficient.
    And it was Kitchener who did this. Kitchener. "Your country needs you."
    And let's say another word, because some people call this policy genocide. But have you ever heard of it? The camps, the Boers, the result. Have you? Have you read about it? Were you taught it? - Do we remember it? - No. We forget it, because it worked.

Well the Americans forgot about it I guess.

But the South Africans did not, and since there are displays about this in both some British museum I went to in London and another one in Auckland about it, I guess they haven't either.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/ice-immigrant-surgeries-deaths-jails-whistleblower-secret?origin=web-hf
    A Child’s Forehead Partially Removed, Four Deaths, The Wrong Medicine — A Secret Report Exposes Health Care For Jailed Immigrants
    Fuck..

Wow BuzzFeed news journalism is really good. Was not expecting that.

Yeah, they've been doing pretty great work for some time now!

Broadly speaking the news wing of Buzzfeed is legitimate good, the clickbait wing that people associate with the name "Buzzfeed" is what keeps the lights on and lets the news side even operate in this hell world where news needs profit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Last night I held the first book club of the year for a meetup I run.

I had selected Jose Antonio Varga's book Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Immigrant. I personally found the book to be fantastic, and it hit waaaaay to close to home in many ways that I really couldn't get into. We ended up having a fantastic discussion about immigration, identity, struggles and much more.

At the end of the discussion I asked if anyone's beliefs had been changed about immigration after reading the book and one member said yes. They explained how they had bought into the misconceptions of immigrants (they take from the system, they come willingly, etc) and this was eye opening.

It was amazing to actually witness change like that in person.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/01/21/immigration-sports-league-has-unique-partnership-border-patrol/2798296001/

So border patrol is having pro bull riders join them on ride alongs, and the bull riders appear to be allowed to perform the duties of border patrol during it.

What the hell

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    “I had one right here,'' Gorham said on the video, referring to an undocumented immigrant. "Had him close. Had one. Found him under a tree. Tried to get him to stop. He ran off. I don’t have a radio, so I can’t talk to these guys (Border Patrol agents). But I did manage to take my shirt off and flag the helicopter. I let them know that there was one in the area."

Of the experience, Gorham later told USA TODAY Sports, "It was a lot of fun. I’ll tell you, I always thought that fighting bulls would get your adrenaline going, but nothing like that experience there."

He’s talking about a person.

He’s using these words to talk about how fun it was to chase down a human being, running on foot, while he is on horseback

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    “I had one right here,'' Gorham said on the video, referring to an undocumented immigrant. "Had him close. Had one. Found him under a tree. Tried to get him to stop. He ran off. I don’t have a radio, so I can’t talk to these guys (Border Patrol agents). But I did manage to take my shirt off and flag the helicopter. I let them know that there was one in the area."

Of the experience, Gorham later told USA TODAY Sports, "It was a lot of fun. I’ll tell you, I always thought that fighting bulls would get your adrenaline going, but nothing like that experience there."

He’s talking about a person.

He’s using these words to talk about how fun it was to chase down a human being, running on foot, while he is on horseback

The most dangerous most risk-free game.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Government officials allowing civilians to hunt human beings for sport.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I for one am SHOCKED that this behavior would overlap with southern rodeo enthusiasts.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    How much longer before we're having their children fight, Hunger Games style?

Just... I can't even. I just can't.

It's part of the fucking process to dehumanize them, to make it easier to do terrible things to them. Treat them like animals, sooner or later they're going to be hunting them down like animals for sport and because they think it's abso-fucking-lutely hilarious.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    At least they didn't shoot/lasso the migrants..?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yet.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Bloomberg SCOTUS reporter. John Roberts really doing double duty in fucking up the country today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Yet.

that we know of

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If you buy a marketplace plan off of an ACA exchange, you can kiss your green card goodbye.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    If you buy a marketplace plan off of an ACA exchange, you can kiss your green card goodbye.

I'm glad I got my citizenship then! Because there's not really another way to get health insurance (I don't get subsidies) if you are self-employed.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I'm glad I got my citizenship then! Because there's not really another way to get health insurance (I don't get subsidies) if you are self-employed.

Same. I don’t get subsidies either and it’s literally ACA marketplace or nothing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Same. I don’t get subsidies either and it’s literally ACA marketplace or nothing

This is probably a "fuck you Uber drivers" bill. Lots of "self-employed" immigrants doing that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

This is probably a "fuck you Uber drivers" bill. Lots of "self-employed" immigrants doing that.

Nah, it's:
    A) Not a bill, just the usual Trump hacks changing interpretations
    B) Broad anti-immigrant that tries to say any services = deported.

Also of note is Gorsuch and Kavanaugh trying to say federal judges shouldn't be allowed to issue injunctions that apply nationally (I mean, I don't know how else an injunction against the federal government would apply - but it seems clear they don't like non-hacks being able to stop these things).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

We don't want your poors - Donald J Trump

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to pay a $1,000,000 cover charge.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

I doubt he really wants the rest, either, but targeting the poor is a core conservative tenet, so it's a logical place to start.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Bloomberg SCOTUS reporter. John Roberts really doing double duty in fucking up the country today.

Sweet, the language of the National Origins Act of 1924 has reentered our jurisprudence. Fan-fucking-tastic.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Eh. I don't like the language but almost every country has some sort of clause around being a burden to the existing system. I'm sure this is pure distilled racism, but the sentiment isn't invalid - it's just being packaged and sold in a really gross way with no real description of what this "test" would be or who would decide what results are acceptable.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Eh. I don't like the language but almost every country has some sort of clause around being a burden to the existing system. I'm sure this is pure distilled racism, but the sentiment isn't invalid - it's just being packaged and sold in a really gross way with no real description of what this "test" would be or who would decide what results are acceptable.

No, there already existed a clause like that. This is a creative interpretation to say any use of government services ever is bad.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I didn't mean to imply I'm fine with it.

Just that it's a tough argument to make when convincing even the center left means explaining that it sounds like what everyone else is doing, but isn't really. Oh and fuck what everyone else is doing.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    always remember: our immigration restrictions in the first place were founded to preserve a white majority in the country in the face of non-white labor immigrating to the country (specifically, Chinese laborers).

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    What's been considered white has changed significantly with each generation of immigrants. The problem with the way they angle new rulings on legislation is they carve the white part out to gain the support of immigrants who bring racist views from where they moved from. I can't think of an ethnic or immigrant group I've been exposed to for a period of time that didn't have a crazy racist grandpa/grandma dissipating a bit for each generation.

It's not unique to immigrants, but it seems only recently to be a well conservatives have been willing to tap.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    always remember: our immigration restrictions in the first place were founded to preserve a white majority in the country in the face of non-white labor immigrating to the country (specifically, Chinese laborers).

And the damned Irish.

mdx0t71z1cek.jpg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And the Italians, Polish... That kind of racism well preceded the Chinese exclusion act.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

And the damned Irish.

mdx0t71z1cek.jpg

We were really, really focused on asian immigration specifically when we crafted the laws:
    Prior to the passage of the Immigration Act of 1882, the United States Congress had passed two significant acts regarding immigration. The first was the Page Act of 1875, which restricted the immigration of forced laborers coming from Asia. This had a major effect on the immigration of Asian indentured workers and women; specifically women presumed to be immigrating to work as prostitutes. The second was the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1882

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    European Immigration was tackled afterwards, but the initial push to start regulating immigration to the US was regarding Asian immigrants.

It took decades to finally start repealing quotas, but the foundations have never really been functionally addressed, replaced with a shitton of whitewashing to make immigration restriction more palatable and "justified"

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    And the Italians, Polish... That kind of racism well preceded the Chinese exclusion act.

Ya as someone who grew up with recently immigrated Polish parents in the late 70's, White only gets a pass until they have cleared out the other colors, once they do, they can find some differences in white real fast every time.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Ya as someone who grew up with recently immigrated Polish parents in the late 70's, White only gets a pass until they have cleared out the other colors, once they do, they can find some differences in white real fast every time.

Turns out that when your problems aren't being caused by immigrants, getting rid of them isn't going to fix it and unless you want to acknowledge how fucking wrong and monstrous you are, you have to move onto to a new group to blame for your ills.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    All of this is why I cringe when I see fellow Asian Americans who buy into the whole model minority myth and siding with white conservatives all the time as if they can do no wrong. Divide and conquer is a thing.

They'll feed you table scraps up until you've outlived your usefulness. Then it's on to painting the bullseye target on the next convenient scapegoat minority in the crosshairs for blaming all the nation's woes on.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So, remember back when the CBP said it wasn’t targeting Iranian Americans regardless of US citizenship status at border crossings and stated so in response to a congressional inquiry?

Yeah it was totally doing that:

From CNN:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6746277-CBP-Seattle-Field-Office-Memo.html

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    The White House just expanded its travel bans to include Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Sudan, Tanzania, Eritrea and (most whatthefuckishly) Nigeria, effective February 22.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Somebodies Gran got hit by the Nigerian prince.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The White House just expanded its travel bans to include Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Sudan, Tanzania, Eritrea and (most whatthefuckishly) Nigeria, effective February 22.

What does this mean for exchange students from those places? Asking because my parents are heavily involved with their local student exchange program, and some of the kids are from at least one or two of those places.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

What does this mean for exchange students from those places? Asking because my parents are heavily involved with their local student exchange program, and some of the kids are from at least one or two of those places.

If the other travel bans are any indication, it's probably a coin flip whether they'll have the door slammed in their faces if they ever go home for some reason.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    DHS has barred citizens of New York State from enrolling or re-enrolling in Global Entry and Trusted Traveler programs, because of its recently enacted Green Light law that grants New York IDs to undocumented immigrants.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dhs-secretary-chad-wolf-tells-tucker-carlson-new-york-residents-will-pay-for-states-sanctuary-law

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.