As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The result of that case was unfortunately never in doubt. Those five have never found that cops should be accountable for anything.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Words fail to adequately express my disgust and horror.

The Department of Justice Creates Section Dedicated to Denaturalization Cases.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I take it rich, white offenders aren't in any particular danger.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

They certainly won't be deporting Trump's wife, who lied under oath to get her green card.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

They certainly won't be deporting Trump's wife, who lied under oath to get her green card.

Maybe if they get divorced. "Petitioner is unable to appear because she is legally barred from entering the country" is a heck of a power move/way to get out of a prenup.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Maybe if they get divorced. "Petitioner is unable to appear because she is legally barred from entering the country" is a heck of a power move/way to get out of a prenup.

If she turns against him, he’d certainly have her deported. Good luck suing for alimony from Slovenia.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wonder if they shot a white Canadian boy playing across the northern border the Supreme Court would have come to the sa,e conclusion

What a joke

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I wonder if they shot a white Canadian boy playing across the northern border the Supreme Court would have come to the sa,e conclusion

What a joke

They probably would have. It's less about the ethnicity of the child being shot and more about the fact they don't believe that law enforcement should be held accountable when they decide to commit straight up murder.

I doubt a CBP officer would even think to shoot a white, Canadian kid on the other side of the border, but the Conservatives of the SC would still back him up.

I'm just scared that this ruling will embolden the white supremacists in CBP to just start shooting people over the border en masse. They were just given carte blanche by the SC to just open fire on anyone on the other side of the border. I feel ill just thinking about it

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So does this mean that Mexican border guards can shoot Americans across the border with impunity?

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So does this mean that Mexican border guards can shoot Americans across the border with impunity?

Goodness, no.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

Goodness, no.

Central Americans, though...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Some good news for a change?

(Bradley Jenkins is a federal litigator for CLINIC, a pro-immigrant NGO.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

So what policies are getting flushed, and how big of a Twitter Trumper-tantrum should we be bracing for?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

So what policies are getting flushed, and how big of a Twitter Trumper-tantrum should we be bracing for?

The one in the WaPo article I read specifically mentioned one that shortened the amount of time a refugee applicant could spend with counsel before their interview.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-51760448

A blind man has been denied US citizenship after immigration agents refused to provide him with an English language sentence to read in Braille.

Holy shit that is cruel.
    A spokesman for the USCIS told the Post that they began offering Braille tests in November, months after Mr Delgado sat for his exam.

They didnt even HAVE a Braille test!?

Honestly the worst part is how they did it, I think.
    Mr Delgado said he was offered a large-print sentence to read, which he could not, being totally blind.

Jesus.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The fact that he wants to be a citizen of a country that treats him in that manner is the most shocking thing.

When my kids ask me what shameful means I'm gonna show them that article.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    The fact that he wants to be a citizen of a country that treats him in that manner is the most shocking thing.

As opposed to all the terrible and shameful things the US has done? As bad as this is, and as bad as this admin is, this is not even a start on the list of shameful things our country has done.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

As opposed to all the terrible and shameful things the US has done? As bad as this is, and as bad as this admin is, this is not even a start on the list of shameful things our country has done.

It's not a contest.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

It's not a contest.

And yet it still seems the US is trying to go for some sort of high score or personal best worst.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

A blind man has been denied US citizenship after immigration agents refused to provide him with an English language sentence to read in Braille.

Holy shit that is cruel.
    A spokesman for the USCIS told the Post that they began offering Braille tests in November, months after Mr Delgado sat for his exam.

Mr Delgado said he was offered a large-print sentence to read, which he could not, being totally blind.

Jesus.

Is the mandatory reading of an English sentence a new criteria from the Trump admin?

I’m trying to figure out how they went so long without one.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

Holy shit that is cruel.

Jesus.

Is the mandatory reading of an English sentence a new criteria from the Trump admin?

I’m trying to figure out how they went so long without one.

There are a few exemptions from having to take the English test, but as the article says, they demanded a doctor's note to prove he was blind - and he couldn't afford to go see a doctor because he was uninsured.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Why bother with a doctor note? Do they think there is someone out there who learned to read Braille but can't read English is going to cheat the system by fake being blind?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    They're not trying to be logical, they're trying to be cruel.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    They're not trying to be logical, they're trying to be cruel.

People with disabilities tend to also be targeted by certain groups in addition to things like race.

• Options
    People with disabilities tend to be deliberately discriminated against in matters of immigration because voters are paranoid about having to possibly give immigrants welfare.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A reminder that even in the midst of a goddamn worldwide pandemic where the wrong action can lead to the deaths of millions, ICE knows where its priorities lie: being evil and committing genocide.

Kim Kelly wrote:
    This just happened today, in Scranton, PA. In the midst of a lethal pandemic, ICE's jackbooted jackals are barging into HOSPITALS to arrest people. They'll undoubtedly cage him in a packed detention center, at a time when people are being warned to avoid crowded areas. Horrific.

Kim Kelly is a writer for Teen Vogue and the New Republic.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    ICE continues to be evil, still conducting pointless raids, still maintaining concentration camps where diseases run rampant, and just to add a little more insult to injury they're hogging the damn N95 masks to keep doing it. Doctors and nurses can't get N95 masks to save their own lives, but ICE hoarded tens of thousands so they can ruin and end other people's lives.

As always, abolish ICE, blacklist every former employee of them, and put all their leadership past and present on trial for crimes against humanity.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    What

the

fuck

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    What

the

fuck

It’s an important day in ethnonationalist history so they needed to celebrate. Just had a convenient excuse this year.

• Options
    What

the

fuck

It’s an important day in ethnonationalist history so they needed to celebrate. Just had a convenient excuse this year.

Why is this an important day in racist fuckwad history? Sorry, this is just...what the fuck? I'm sorry, I seem to be broken because this is nuts.

• Options
    What

the

fuck

Why is this an important day in racist fuckwad history? Sorry, this is just...what the fuck? I'm sorry, I seem to be broken because this is nuts.

(4/20 is Hitler's birthday.)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    What

the

fuck

We didn't even do that during WWII. It was never totally suspended.

I mean, FDR and Truman weren't perfect there was the Japanese internment and tightening at ports of entry, but during the course of the war we quit enforcing and eventually repealed the Chinese Exclusion Act and fast-tracked the naturalization of more than 100,000 immigrants in the armed forces, even doing the ceremonies overseas while they were deployed.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    ...what does that even mean?

My brother in law is applying for a green card while still on his Visa. Does he just... get put on pause? Have to start over? Just... flames. On the side of my face

• Options
    What

the

fuck

(4/20 is Hitler's birthday.)

Because of COURSE it's about being fucking Nazis why didn't I see that. Unbelievable.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

Good question! I doubt Trump knows either. I look forward to Trump's fascist lackeys figuring out what the dribbling old fool "meant" by it and informing him.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

Good question! I doubt Trump knows either. I look forward to Trump's fascist lackeys figuring out what the dribbling old fool "meant" by it and informing him.

Oh, given the modus operandi thus far, my money is on Stephen Miller having everything typed up and ready to go weeks ago, they just need to get the dottard's signature on it tomorrow.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

My brother in law is applying for a green card while still on his Visa. Does he just... get put on pause? Have to start over? Just... flames. On the side of my face

Is your brother in law white? Is he from Scandinavia, or Western Europe? If he is, there's a much higher chance is will be just fine.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    While I know a decent chunk of it is probably bots boosting shit, the 140K+ likes Trump's tweet has gotten in 2 hours both depresses and angers me in equal measure.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    This immigration ban is one of the final nails in the coffin for American hegemony. It was inevitable, but speeding up the braindrain, incurring massive opportunity costs of potential labor/research/academia/etc... Look, we all know whatwe're losing by this, but what I think we won't understand for years to come is the sheer scale of that loss.

Even a Dem president won't win potential immigrants back - it is simply not worth having to worry about titanic policy shifts coming from the ruling class every god damn couple of years.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.