As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret [Anime] Thread

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Akira is a beautiful (and beautifully horrifying at times) movie.

The plot is a little hard to follow, what with it being a truncated adaptation, so I'll be interested in a full one.

Also Lord X always sounds better than King X.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So I just had a wild thought about the upcoming Evanglion 3.0+1.0 film.
    What i[f] it just 3.0 but they don't stop instrumentality and somehow the ending of the film is the start of 1.0.

With the implication that these films are just a simulated loop happening in instrumentality with no escape but to redo it all over again for eternity

I personally think if that were to happen it would be an even bigger 'fuck you' to fans from Anno than End of Evangelion.

Which is why I'm almost sure he'll do it.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I think I got 4 episodes into Steins;Gate and I found the two guys so unbearable I had to stop - the main protagonist especially. I'm assuming if that's my issue it's probably not worth going back to it? Or is the rest of the show so good I should give it another shot?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Protagonist has a persona he retreats into because REASONS, and the hacker dude is your standard non-handsy pervert. There's also some stuff that happens later that can be seen in a really negative light, so if you're not down, there's no reason to keep going. I liked it, but it's definitely a problematic fave.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Robotics;Notes is NOT that summary you just said. It is absolutely the same kind of thing as Steins;Gate and not more slice-of-life at all either. Also I violently hate it, just like I hate all that author's stories and their Dumb;Titles.

Even as someone who enjoyed the first Steins;Gate series, I found Robotics;Notes to be wildly disappointing.

Random Steins:Gate hot take:

That shit lost me super fucking hard right as I was starting to dig it.
    ”Sure lets let this incredibly influential CHILD with a very obvious TRAGIC BACKSTORY use our newly minted verified confirmed TIME MACHINE COMPLETELY FUCKING BLIND certainly nothing terrible can happen.

“ Oh no, something TERRIBLE HAPPENED! HOW COULD WE HAVE POSSIBLY FORSEEN THIS!”.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    It did teach us that when you're on a chicken bender you should get yourself some chicken tenders. Buck ba caw!

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Sorce wrote: »
    Protagonist has a persona he retreats into because REASONS, and the hacker dude is your standard non-handsy pervert. There's also some stuff that happens later that can be seen in a really negative light, so if you're not down, there's no reason to keep going. I liked it, but it's definitely a problematic fave.

His Hououin Kyouma persona did get on my nerves in Steins;Gate at times but it is definitely worth it overall.

Steins;Gate 0 spoiler.
    His persona basically never came up in that show since he was pretty depressed for large parts of it. And not going to lie when Hououin Kyouma showed up near the end again I was smiling like a madman. Who knew you could be so happy about someone donning a lab coat and laughing like an idiot.

Isorn on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Latest One Piece manga chapter
    Man I hope Oda does Kiku being trans(? Please correct me if I'm wrong here) right - Oda doesn't have the best track record with these scenarios.

Badass splash page in the end, regardless.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    thinking about watching code geass

Code Geass has concentrations of Anime Bullshit unrivaled by anything except Cross Ange and maybe the final episodes of Darling in the Franxx.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Does the new Evangelion dub keep the "bologna pony" line from episode 26?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Caught up on crunchyroll’s latest stuff during lunch today.

I really liked the first ep of Dr. Stone. Can see why it’s the show they picked to co-produce and push so hard.

I watched the first ep of it it’s for my daughter, I’d even defeat a demon lord! I was like oh, this is cute and good but it has the potential to take this father/daughter relationship and get real gross, better look up what people are saying about the source material to make sure.

Sure enough, it goes in exactly the direction it shouldn’t. God dammit. Fuck off.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Fire Force is up, and the OP is awesome. Definitely not skipping it every week.

E: On Crunchyroll.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Trigger never fails to impress

• Options
    Reminds me of Gurenn Lagann a bit.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    That would be because it's.. the same studio..

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I watched the first 4 episodes of NGE yesterday

Seems neat!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Gurenn Lagann a bit.

that is because many of the people that made gurren lagann went on to form trigger studios

• Options
    edited July 2019

Huh, didn’t show up on my app yet. Must be delayed.

Ah there it is, just needed to refresh it

Hahahaha oh god this was not what I was expecting I love it

rhylith on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Trigger draws good

I almost stomached darling in the franxx for it.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »

Wasn't TTGL a Studio Gainax?

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

What WERE you expecting? Genuinely curious.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

What WERE you expecting? Genuinely curious.

Vaguely sci-fi firefighting. I watched no trailers or anything, just saw the poster. Did not think it would be immediate fire monsters and weird religion shit, but it’s anime so I should’ve guessed.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

Wasn't TTGL a Studio Gainax?

it was, then everyone who worked on it left Gainax to start Trigger. I think Gainax is mostly dead now?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I didn't know there was an English version of this song...
    https://youtu.be/rG-Fs7de_9o

It's surprisingly faithful to the original Japanese lyrics. Reading the YouTube comments... yes.. it wasn't a happy song in that language either.

halkun on
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    I didn't know there was an English version of this song...
    https://youtu.be/rG-Fs7de_9o

It's surprisingly faithful to the original Japanese lyrics. Reading the YouTube comments... yes.. it wasn't a happy song in that language either.

She's the lady who fan dubbed Suzimiya Haruhi songs a million years ago. I guess she's still around?

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Wow. I remember seeing that video like a decade ago. I may have replayed a few times too much back then.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Seems neat!

It is!

It's also got some problematic elements.

(The Waypoint Evangelion podcast has been pretty great so far. )

• Options
    Bad Apple ft. Nomico is a great song. I generally can't stand english covers of japanese songs though, I imagine it's simply really hard to squeeze natural sounding english lyrics into them while maintaining even a vague approximation of the meaning. You usually end up with either something that sounds like it's straining to fit into the music or something where the lyrics are quarter-gibberish like Simple and Clean.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Bad Apple ft. Nomico is a great song. I generally can't stand english covers of japanese songs though, I imagine it's simply really hard to squeeze natural sounding english lyrics into them while maintaining even a vague approximation of the meaning. You usually end up with either something that sounds like it's straining to fit into the music or something where the lyrics are quarter-gibberish like Simple and Clean.
    ...Execpt that Simple and clean is an English version of "Hikari" both versions were written by the Hikaru Utada, who sang the song and is also American (She was born in New York)

I've been super-procrastinating on making a video on how I translate Japanese music into English. One of the things I might bring up is something I call "Mari Iijima Syndrome". It's named after a Japanese singer who tried to make English songs and added emphasis on absolutely the wrong visual element due to cultural perception. She did it with surfboards. Hikaru Utada is guilty of doing the same thing with microphones.
    I know this is going to sound super weeb of me, but Japanese songs read like manga panels. (At least they do to me). The lyrics are just "built" differently. This is mostly due to the verbs going at the end of the sentences. This mean that every lyric line almost always paints the actors and the setting first and then the action last. (Most frustratingly, on the second line). This is like a 4-Koma or a Haiku where the setting is placed at the beginning and then action happens at the end.

(From "19 Growing Up" by Princess Princess)
    いじけ顔のフォトグラフが手を振る
    Ijikekao no fotogurafu ga te wo furu
    Silly-face (possive) photograph (subj.) hand (obj.) waved.
    For a photo with silly faces, we waved our hands

My translation isn't quite right, however I kind of know the context so I had to "shove" some meaning in there. The issue is that the Japanese version is going in the right "direction" visually,
    (Silly face) ->(Photograph) ->->(hands)->(waving) - It's like a sequence.

In the song it's about this girls childhood and how bright and happy it was. They gathered for a photo, made faces, and waved … *snap* that was moment in time...
    In the second verse when the woman has grown up, she's looking at the photo and reflecting on her friends.
    いじけ顔のフォトグラフ手を振る
    Ijikekao no fotogurafu ni te wo furu
    Silly-face (possive) photograph (in) hand (obj.) waved.
    In the photo with silly faces, we waved our hands

The silly faces is still there, but the context switched half way though. Now it's a photograph and they are waving

Putting that into English is bad enough. Making it rhyme? Yea.. that's a whole other level.

halkun on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Seems neat!
    I kind of want you to watch this without context.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    ...Execpt that Simple and clean is an English version of "Hikari" both versions were written by the Hikaru Utada, who sang the song and is also American (She was born in New York)

I've been super-procrastinating on making a video on how I translate Japanese music into English. One of the things I might bring up is something I call "Mari Iijima Syndrome". It's named after a Japanese singer who tried to make English songs and added emphasis on absolutely the wrong visual element due to cultural perception. She did it with surfboards. Hikaru Utada is guilty of doing the same thing with microphones.
    I know this is going to sound super weeb of me, but Japanese songs read like manga panels. (At least they do to me). The lyrics are just "built" differently. This is mostly due to the verbs going at the end of the sentences. This mean that every lyric line almost always paints the actors and the setting first and then the action last. (Most frustratingly, on the second line). This is like a 4-Koma or a Haiku where the setting is placed at the beginning and then action happens at the end.

(From "19 Growing Up" by Princess Princess)
    いじけ顔のフォトグラフが手を振る
    Ijikekao no fotogurafu ga te wo furu
    Silly-face (possive) photograph (subj.) hand (obj.) waved.
    For a photo with silly faces, we waved our hands

My translation isn't quite right, however I kind of know the context so I had to "shove" some meaning in there. The issue is that the Japanese version is going in the right "direction" visually,
    (Silly face) ->(Photograph) ->->(hands)->(waving) - It's like a sequence.

In the song it's about this girls childhood and how bright and happy it was. They gathered for a photo, made faces, and waved … *snap* that was moment in time...
    In the second verse when the woman has grown up, she's looking at the photo and reflecting on her friends.
    いじけ顔のフォトグラフ手を振る
    Ijikekao no fotogurafu ni te wo furu
    Silly-face (possive) photograph (in) hand (obj.) waved.
    In the photo with silly faces, we waved our hands

The silly faces is still there, but the context switched half way though. Now it's a photograph and they are waving

Putting that into English is bad enough. Making it rhyme? Yea.. that's a whole other level.

I knew Utada was fluently bilingual and wrote the english version, I didn't know she was american though. I think Simple and Clean sounds good, but the lyrics are still a bit word salad-y. Even though she's a native english speaker I get the impression Hikari was written first, and Simple and Clean was written based on it, and so runs into the same issues that any song would when translated between highly dissimilar languages. It feels to me like you usually end up with either lyrics that sound like something you'd write in english but don't fit the music perfectly, or lyrics that fit the music well but take large poetic liberties to contort them to fit, due to the nature of translation compounded by the timing and syntactical and rhyming constraints of songwriting, all that stuff you're talking about.

I don't actually know what the lyrics in Hikari mean though so maybe she just wrote completely new lyrics for Simple and Clean that had no relation to Hikari's, and they're just weird lyrics?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Did anyone else watch Shuumatsu no Izetta a couple years ago? It's about Germany invading off-brand Switzerland in 1940 and Switzerland's mahou shoujo protector shows up to defend it

It was overall mediocre, but the first three episodes were a really good action-adventure about a plucky princess and had one of the best representations of 1940 combat. I highly recommend watching those three episodes and pretending it ends there
    in episode 4 the budget very clearly runs out, the cringy yuribaiting kicks in and the pacing goes to shit

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yeah, remakes of animated films are supposed to be live action!

• Options
    Fire Force is definitely pretty enough that I'll keep watching whether or not the plot ends up being particularly interesting.

This discussion has been closed.