As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's squishy, stretchy and transforms almost anything? ITS [Love]

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Put on your hammer and sickle shirt and show these backwoods kulaks what's what.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Pretty much any group connected primarily by a hobby is gonna have a huge political range, especially with anything involving traditionally "masculine" activities

That said, you absolutely can curate who you interact with within those spaces

Good example being the wargaming community. Wider community? Rife with shite. Our local community? We shut it down, best we can. It's tricky to do when you find that the local community is already rife with shite, mind.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    position of "brand synergy architect"

What is an actual job title I've applied to for $300, Alex?

Holy shit I hope you disrupted their paradigm on that one...

Also, do you need my bank account details to direct deposit that USD$300, or would you rather send a bank cheque through the mail?

Nah. I mostly focused on creating delight while leveraging best practices within their core verticals.

And I'll put a dollarydoo check in the mail.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Also, do you need my bank account details to direct deposit that USD$300, or would you rather send a bank cheque through the mail?

Nah. I mostly focused on creating delight while leveraging best practices within their core verticals.

This made me taste copper

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Juggernut wrote: »

Copper is one of the things that we are focusing on increasing the taste of across our brand evangelist and influencer user sets. We have also been experimenting with nominal increases in *seeing red, *boiling blood, and *smell of toast.

It was found that if we could effectively bring those senses online we'd will have successfully captured a mission critical portion of the market share.

Also we're working on an app.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Copper is one of the things that we are focusing on increasing the taste of across our brand evangelist and influencer user sets. We have also been experimenting with nominal increases in *seeing red, *boiling blood, and *smell of toast.

It was found that if we could effectively bring those senses online we'd will have successfully captured a mission critical portion of the market share.

hmm, can this platform be used to vape blockchains in the cloud? what are your AI and meme strategies?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Love has rarely made me feel anything other than miserable, except for the occasional period of deluded elation. But I’m too empathic and intuitive to not know when people just have zero interest in me and my life, that people often feel burdened by me and my feelings, even if my feelings are outwardly positive. I feel miserable right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

hmm, can this platform be used to vape blockchains in my butt? what are your AI and meme strategies?

Heheh, blockchains in ur butt

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    If I'm quiet no one initiates conversaions with me, if I try to be outgoing they seem uninterested and usually make a comment about how weird I'm acting. I hate feeling like a burden, which encompasses 90% of my interactions so I end up distancing myself even further. Its rough and lonely.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Pretty much any group connected primarily by a hobby is gonna have a huge political range, especially with anything involving traditionally "masculine" activities

That said, you absolutely can curate who you interact with within those spaces

There's been huge upheavals in the knitting groups down here since March 15th.

I know, you thinkg, knitting groups? Being divisive? Isn't it just a bunch of old ladies?

NOPE

There's been huge conversations happening about BIPOC spaces, LGBT+ spaces, and how to be a good ally while also shutting the fuck up and listening. It's been a wild, wild ride to be a part of.

The biggest kerfuffle was when some members started showing off their finished of knit projects next to golliwogs. There was no need for the golliwogs to be in te photo, they were simply being used as a prop. Enter the younger crowd going "holy fuck do you not realize how racist those things are" and the older crowd going "lalalala can't hear you you're the real racist it's just a doll and it's my heritage and can't we leave politics out of my happy knitting space"

It got messy. Eventually, the racist old white ladies sequestered themselves into a different group, the other group has created a specific post/area in the group for talking about how to raise equity, equality, and being a good ally and shutting the fuck up, while still allowing people a place to talk about knitting and things.

It's been a crazy year for a lot of people down here.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    hmm, do I want to google golliwog? I don't think I will.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    hmm, do I want to google golliwog? I don't think I will.

I just did. You'd probably recognize the picture. It's basically a racist caricature doll of a black person.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    they're dolls that originated in South Africa, I believe, or they're at least rather popular there.

Think of the worst looking black face that you can imagine, and then put it on a doll.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    They were a mascot for a brand of marmalade, Robinsons iirc that originated a long time back and has been discontinued for obvious reasons.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The Guardian’s article from 2001 on Robertson’s discontinued logo says it originated from two English ladies who took inspiration from minstrel rag dolls they saw in travels to New York. So very similar to dolls found in the US, but golliwog is specifically a very particular style/type of doll - a bit like a racist Raggedy Ann.

It’s appalling that it remained a logo for so long - I definitely remember it being on the marmalade jars we’d buy - and that it still has so many defenders today.

Janson on
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »
    The Guardian’s article from 2001 on Robertson’s discontinued logo says it originated from two English ladies who took inspiration from minstrel rag dolls they saw in travels to New York. So very similar to dolls found in the US, but golliwog is specifically a very particular style/type of doll - a bit like a racist Raggedy Ann.

It’s appalling that it remained a logo for so long - I definitely remember it being on the marmalade jars we’d buy - and that it still has so many defenders today.

Yeah they had that in one episode of Extras. Really cringetastic because she invited a black man to her flat as a date and then saw it and was trying to hide it (too obviously) whole he was in the bathroom.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

Yeah they had that in one episode of Extras. Really cringetastic because she invited a black man to her flat as a date and then saw it and was trying to hide it (too obviously) whole he was in the bathroom.

I did not know what Robertson’s was so I did a search the duck dynasty people show up and then other pictures so I see now

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I went to check out daycares the other day

We found a really nice one, the only negative thing I could find was they told me their daycare app used 'Artificial Intelligence' to determine what activities to plan for the kids day.

I work in prod dev in tech...i tried so hard to stop the laugh but I couldn't do it. The missus shot me a dirty look.

How does this related to the love thread? Well...that's where babies comes from and hence needing a daycare.

Dixon on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Just make sure you don't misbehave, children, because Mother Computer will assign you to garbage duty

• Options
    There is, apparently, a new kind of mosquito that is ravaging southern california. Called an "ankle biter mosquito" it can breed in as little as a cap full of standing water, goes after the lower legs, and gives no fucks about time of day.

I sat outside in my backyard for an hour the other day and I now have about 30 bites across both of my legs, feet, and ankles.

I do not love this. This is not a Smof-Positive (TM) experience.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ooh nooo. I had that a few weeks ago, my ankles swelled up so badly and they were super itchy and looked awful! I hope they fade soon!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I had a golliwog as a kid. Well I didn’t specifically my sister did. Then she found out for whatever reason I was afraid of it and hid it in my room so four year old Blake would come barreling out crying and then my sister would remove the toy before my parents would see it and they thought I was having a cry over nothing.

So yes they are bad and shouldn’t be seen or heard of anymore.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I had a golliwog as a kid. Well I didn’t specifically my sister did. Then she found out for whatever reason I was afraid of it and hid it in my room so four year old Blake would come barreling out crying and then my sister would remove the toy before my parents would see it and they thought I was having a cry over nothing.

So yes they are bad and shouldn’t be seen or heard of anymore.

Hot

wait that’s the wrong reaction isn’t it

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Just felt like reposting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S49Li09hOPw

May you all find love

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I decided not to get a new tie for this wedding

Oops same outfit to last many weddings

But who will notice

No one

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Remind me never to open the Facebook memory panel...

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Uriel, my dude, I say this with affection and concern, but if you can't stop yourself from thinking about this stuff and keep driving yourself down this often, you really should consider seeing a professional to help dig you out of where you're at emotionally

This isn't healthy

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Uriel, my dude, I say this with affection and concern, but if you can't stop yourself from thinking about this stuff and keep driving yourself down this often, you really should consider seeing a professional to help dig you out of where you're at emotionally

This isn't healthy

I see professionals weekly?

• Options

You are causing me physical pain.

• Options
    Delete things in the FB memory, man.

Seriously. Just...delete them.

That shit isn't bringing you any kind of happiness and it is currently serving no purpose beyond enhancing your propensity for self-flagellation over something that ceased 3 years ago. Remove the temptation entirely.

"But I'd like to keep them."

Why?

"So I can remember what was once good."

But it's not now. I have a banana sitting on my desk right next to where I'm writing this. It's fine now. In a day or two it won't be. Three years from now if it's still there I'm going to get fired because what the hell is wrong with me.

If it was an innocuous as a pen or something that causes no harm, who cares - but that's a bad banana.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    They still openly sell golliwogs in some shops here, it’s wild.

• Options
    People who sing to themselves in public places with people around should not make me nervous but it always makes me nervous.

I feel like they're just waiting for an opportunity to talk to the first person that hesitates near them about the time they saw an angel after their Peepop died or something.

Maybe it's the constant sense of overbearing shame I feel at all times that's skewing my idea of what is and is not acceptable in public.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I go through facebook memories every day.
    Sometimes it's nice to see interesting things, but every once in a while (it was much more often when I started doing this) I come across something which makes me groan and I feel like turning off the phone instead of looking at it. That can even be a post I'd seen the previous year and thought was okay (I've been doing this for a number of years).
    I delete it, and they don't bug me anymore.

I would advise attempting the same.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah. I curate my memories. Why spend time thinking about stuff that you don’t enjoy. I think Facebook and social media can be problematic showing other people’s”perfect life” but there are no reasons why I shouldn’t focus on my positives rather than the negative.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Hey Uriel, I have a challenge for you. You're not allowed to post anything negative about yourself for a month.

Try it.

Your brain is going in cycles, and you need to start actually trying to change that. And yeah maybe it won't do anything for you and you'll get to stay in that mental pit even longer, but why accept that? You need to try different things. People who are successful in literally anything tend to not throw up their hands at every single obstacle or failure or "perceived failure which is not actually a failure" which is what I think yours tend to be. Either you continue to live like this forever, or you start working towards changing your attitude.

And yeah I get it. I've had chronic depression and anxiety too! You know what's helped? Not accepting that my depression or anxiety is my core defining characteristic. You need to start doing the same.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So in love related news, I feel like I’m living in a sitcom.

So my former room mate and one of my two best friends hangs out with me and my wife every week. Well, his birthday is this Saturday but he’ll be out of town so our group of friends and I were planning a surprise party for him.

Now, he’s been in a friends with benefits type of relationship with a lady for a couple of months now. Neither of them has been pushing for it to be serious and it’s worked for them, so hey good for them.

I told him earlier this week that I wanted to Change our plans to something less active, like watching a movie, so he wouldn’t bring over his games. Now, he messaged me like 20 minutes ago stating hey, would you like to meet her she could watch horror movies with us cause she gets off work early. Which is, for him, a sign things could be getting more serious cause he wants to integrate her more into the rest of his life.

But we have a Surprise party planned for him. Fuck.

I’m gonna be honest with him s he can make the informed decision of if he wants to have her meet all his friends at once or not.

never die on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Hey Uriel, I have a challenge for you. You're not allowed to post anything negative about yourself for a month.

Try it.

Your brain is going in cycles, and you need to start actually trying to change that. And yeah maybe it won't do anything for you and you'll get to stay in that mental pit even longer, but why accept that? You need to try different things. People who are successful in literally anything tend to not throw up their hands at every single obstacle or failure or "perceived failure which is not actually a failure" which is what I think yours tend to be. Either you continue to live like this forever, or you start working towards changing your attitude.

And yeah I get it. I've had chronic depression and anxiety too! You know what's helped? Not accepting that my depression or anxiety is my core defining characteristic. You need to start doing the same.

To add to this:

If you feel you are in a rut or are not making progress with your current treatment plan, please. PLEASE. Consider changing it up. Tell your medical team that it's not working. They can't help you unless you let them know.

If you are currently taking medication, please speak with your prescribing doctor/ psychiatrist. Let them know the current dosage isn't working. They can help you adjust the dosage or particular medication and get you to something that works.

If you are not currently taking medication, please consider it. It's scary, I understand. I went through a period of time where I refused it. I was terrified that it would change "who I was." In reality when my doctor helped me find the right level, it simply removed the barrier I had between myself and the world as it really was.

I do not presume to understand exactly what you are going through. All I can do is share how it was for me. And for me, I was stuck in worldview in which everyone was constantly judging me. Everyone was disappointed in what I was unable to accomplish. Medication and therapy helped me gain the perspective I needed, helped me understand that everyone else had enough on their plates without being concerned with my every move. Helped me realize that everyone is trying their best, and most people are willing to meet you halfway.

I'll be frank. This is a raw post for me to make. I'm only making it because I genuinely hope it can help. You're not alone. It's not hopeless. But know that if you don't change anything... well then nothing will change.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

So my former room mate and one of my two best friends hangs out with me and my wife every week. Well, his birthday is this Saturday but he’ll be out of town so our group of friends and I were planning a surprise party for him.

Now, he’s been in a friends with benefits type of relationship with a lady for a couple of months now. Neither of them has been pushing for it to be serious and it’s worked for them, so hey good for them.

I told him earlier this week that I wanted to Change our plans to something less active, like watching a movie, so he wouldn’t bring over his games. Now, he messaged me like 20 minutes ago stating hey, would you like to meet her she could watch horror movies with us cause she gets off work early. Which is, for him, a sign things could be getting more serious cause he wants to integrate her more into the rest of his life.

I’m gonna be honest with him s he can make the informed decision of if he wants to have her meet all his friends at once or not.

This is 100% the right call as you do not in fact live in a sitcom.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This is a busy and stressful week but I am desperately grateful for my awesome partner.

We will be all moved in by Sunday, looks like.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

This is 100% the right call as you do not in fact live in a sitcom.

Oh totes. At most, I'm a little bummed that we don't get to surprise him, but that is much better than the alternatives. He's gonna let me know tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.