As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    8wfpaymoeag1.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That mirrors what else I've heard about ASUS. Their product is pretty good quality but God forbid you have an issue.

Have you tried bugging them on Facebook or Twitter? It may not help, but there's a chance they'll actually move it forward.

I'm seriously skeptical about either working compared to a phone call (as useless as the ten phone calls I've made have been), but I went ahead and asked them about my RMA on both. Of course, that could just mean I've begun the 3-week-long Twitter inquiry process.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    This for now is a hypothetical, but it's on my mind:

So I bought a new system with a 5700xt.
    I am hoping no upgrades on hardware for 3, maybe 4y with that.

My monitor is fairly old. It's a midrange Asus from ca 2010. 1080p, 60hz. It does its job.

I'm not replacing it yet, but comparing its colors with my phones oled is certainly noticeable.

And the lure of freesync is in the back of my head.

However, I feel like a there's a bit of a conundrum:
    The 5700xt is pretty good for a 1440p screen, but then probably won't be significantly above 60fps for many AAA titles, and as time goes on that balance gets more difficult.
    A 1080p 144hz screen would help on the fps / longevity but seems like a weird sidegrade.
    I assume little has changed, and a 1440p screen doesn't nearly display a 1080p image right? Since the pixels don't line up?
    So you'd be... upscaling 720p?

A 4k screen could upres 1080p really neatly, but the gpu doesn't really work that well in 4k now, let alone in the future.
    And 4k high fps monitors are way more expensive as yet.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Finally got my system moved into the Meshify C. It so goooood.

Now to set up the other box as a FreeNAS / network share.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Run one card at a time and see if you can help narrow it down that way.

Given the age of the cards and making some assumptions, it's likely one or more of the fans on one of the cards is starting to die and some of the board components could be heating up.

If you're so inclined, remove and clean the heatsink from each card, reapply thermal paste (and thermal pads for the VRMs), and put it all back together. Do a quick but thorough inspection of the board components to look for any obvious thermal damage.

All of that should take you no more than a couple hours. You can check vids on YT for your specific card to help figure out how to take it apart.

If you still get the errors, then that specific card may just be at end-of-life.

A quick google suggests that the SLI bridge could also be a potential culprit. Do you have another one you can swap in to check?

----
    Possible but not likely: your PSU could be starting to show its age. Check your make and model to see how long the warranty is for it.

Hm. Old posts are saying that they are seeing 43 Error in Win 7 but not Win 8.1. Which version of Windows are you running? Related: other posts are recommending rolling back the drivers and/or selecting Windows 8 drivers.

====
    I kinda went down a rabbit hole with this, so enjoy.

Really appreciate the effort, which is probably a little wasted on me as things like taking apart my graphics card are a bit beyond my comfort level (haven't assembled my own, just figured this would be a better place to ask). It's helpful to know what the steps would be, and that's probably the push to say it's time to look at upgrading. Think I'm OK running single card for a bit while I figure out what the next step is. Thank you!

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Is there a way to tell if I'm bottlenecked or just need more power somewhere - running Control with a i7-6700k @ 4.6 and rtx 2080 with slight overclock as well and sometimes it feels like the scenes need to draw or render in focus. For the most part it's nothing too bad, like not slowing down, I just thought with all that power I'd be running this on high at least.

jc8AjFM.png

FYI, while control will let you do stuff like have ray-traced and screen space reflections on at the same time you're just pissing away gpu power.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    My guess is that it's just what's to come and we'll see things better optimized in the future. I guess the 2180 or 3080 will do it better. My hope is to never need to spend TI money at some point.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    8wfpaymoeag1.jpg

Whoever put this together was insane.

In fact I'd say they were a real basket case.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Boo this man!

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Even though the metal is covered in plastic, is there still a chance of shorting everything out?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Even though the metal is covered in plastic, is there still a chance of shorting everything out?

I'd say they have a 0.2% or so chance

Actually shorting out a modern PC without actively sabotaging that shiz is difficult

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Motherboards usually operate within a few millimeters of a conductive metal plate!

• Options
    If The Verge has taught me anything, that PSU will short as soon as the power is turned on.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If The Verge has taught me anything, that PSU will short as soon as the power is turned on.

Make sure you wear your LiveStrong grounding bracelet, though...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    8wfpaymoeag1.jpg

Not enough air flow.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    That should just be the default design for PC cases.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    So I saw this video about LGR putting together a modern IBM 5160 XT clone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzHurzTNTY

and thought hey, that looks like a neat thing to mess around with for a bit of lower-hassle nostalgia than ebay-ing a vintage PC or something, until I checked out the page for the board:

ix2eg1gbqb68.png

Oooooouuuch. I guess that's expected for custom-made boutique electronics, but $340 is way beyond impulse buy for a thing that's supposed to mimic the hottest 16-bit hardware of 1983 to run Lotus 1-2-3.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    OMG Commander Keen! So many hours wasted as a kid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So I saw this video about LGR putting together a modern IBM 5160 XT clone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzHurzTNTY

and thought hey, that looks like a neat thing to mess around with for a bit of lower-hassle nostalgia than ebay-ing a vintage PC or something, until I checked out the page for the board:

ix2eg1gbqb68.png

Oooooouuuch. I guess that's expected for custom-made boutique electronics, but $340 is way beyond impulse buy for a thing that's supposed to mimic the hottest 16-bit hardware of 1983 to run Lotus 1-2-3.

350 bucks is incredibly cheap for custom electronics.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wait is that thing a new old computer with some modern components??

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    wait is that thing a new old computer with some modern components??

Basically. They took a blank new circuit board and attached a mix of old and new chips to it to make an IBM compatible. They still make a lot of the chips (like the 6502) for embedded systems today.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-100416nt-8gsr/p/N82E16814202351?Item=N82E16814202351

Nitro+ RX 5700 XT is in stock as of 30 minutes ago. Won't be for long.

I'm torn. It's $500 after shipping. I could go for a 2070 Super for that price.

Edit: They just raised the price from $460 to $470.

KiTA on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    You know what you could do for less than 350 dollars? Emulate an IBM Compatible PC on modern hardware.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You know what you could do for less than 350 dollars? Emulate an IBM Compatible PC on modern hardware.

That's kind of missing the point. It's a hobbyist computer. It's not about having the most efficient way of playing old games.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    2zxkaj6asifu.jpg

Oof, my wallet. At least my 2080ti won't be bottle necked any more...

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    BouwsT wrote: »
    2zxkaj6asifu.jpg

Oof, my wallet. At least my 2080ti won't be bottle necked any more...

Edit: the 212 Evo is for a friend's upcoming build, will likely used the stock Wraith cooler until my water cooling loop later in the year.

Double Edit: Why the fuck did I write my edit as a comment? NOBODY KNOWS.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »

That's kind of missing the point. It's a hobbyist computer. It's not about having the most efficient way of playing old games.

I'm inherently allergic to nostalgia, so yeah, the point goes right over my head. All these new "mini", "classic" devices completely confuse me. I have a Raspberry Pi powerful enough to emulate all of them and it cost me 40 bucks.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

I'm inherently allergic to nostalgia, so yeah, the point goes right over my head. All these new "mini", "classic" devices completely confuse me. I have a Raspberry Pi powerful enough to emulate all of them and it cost me 40 bucks.

Convenience, simplicity, legality.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Some people still develop things on this, even create their own operating systems, and are still pushing the limits of what they can do. A lot of what they do is directly mod the hardware, as well, because owning the hardware is part of what they love.

It's like someone who doesn't play insanely intense games scoffing at someone for spending $1000 on a video card when their mobile GPU is fine for their games in 1368x768.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, there are still lots of games that don't run correctly in DOSBox, and don't run at all in modern (XP and later) versions of windows.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I saw a thing a while back where there was this lowish end fpga board that microsoft was subsidising to help people get into fpga stuff. Built up a bit of a community that recreated a whole bunch of retro machines with it. Dunno how far up the IBM side things got but I remember seeing amiga's and stuff running perfectly.

Also a shit ton of obscure Russian 8-bit microcomputers because a bunch of nostalgic Russians got into it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Excellent! Someone else in the [Flight Sims] thread who also thinks Red Dawn is trash!

• Options
    GN shreds the XFX THICC, which is awesome because companies using memes for their actual products deserve failure

https://youtu.be/IwczmQNHVfo

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Kinda feels like AMD were caught thoroughly unprepared for a situation where a lot of people really wanted to buy their cards.

At this point I'm 95% on holding out for the next Navi rather than dealing with the 5700XT's scarcity pricing and "almost ready" drivers

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    what's everyone's opinions on these monitors:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475003

snagging 2 of them (gsync)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    what's everyone's opinions on these monitors:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475003

snagging 2 of them (gsync)

That seems quite cheap to me. Looking it up over here, it seems that model might be discontinued, so these are the final few?
    The main thing that's on my mind, if you want to spend the next several years in 1080p, at high framerates.
    Or if 1440p at significant lower fps is worthwhile.
    4k gaming still takes a lot of oomph, and probably buying into a new GPU in a year or two to keep it up.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I'm heavily considering using OT money and maybe holiday/birthday money to spring for a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel and retiring my Monoprice secondary monitor (my current primary Dell TN 1440p panel would then become the secondary)

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm aware of the inherent contradiction in gaming laptops but anyone have any experiences with the lightweight models?

I opened up my ten year old IBM Thinkpad today and the right hinge completely failed and ripped off the base of the model.

So probably time for a new laptop.

My gaming needs are at least three years behind the new hotness.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    This one is decent but is missing a discrete GPU

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470614-REG/lenovo_81n8009fus_s340_i5_8265u_12gb_512gb.html

Generally, check Asus, Lenovo, MSI, Dell. I'm not a HP fan but others are.

If you have access to a store like Costco, they have very good offerings.

Best Buy isn't a horrible place to showroom multiple brands and types.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh that's a great trip about Costco. Looks like all of the sub five pound models are more of less the exact same specs.

I am in the business of saving lives.
This discussion has been closed.