Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They just need to shrink the tubes in CRT's and bam!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-Rhpv--hY

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Digital Foundry guys having a great time playing new games on CRTs. Honestly I'd be tempted to try it for myself if I had the desk space.

Makes me wish I still had the 32" CRT HDTV we had ~20 years ago to try it out! The contrast! The deep blacks!

But yeah, we didn't switch to LCDs because the picture quality was so much better for games. LCDs look better for office stuff/web browsing for sure, just because it's sharper. And obviously they're just way lighter and easier to move and work with, especially when you get into bigger screen sizes.

And they make some good points about the tradeoff between pure resolution and other graphics features.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Eh, good OLED screens look way better than any CRT and have perfect contrast. I'm less interested in having electrons fired at my face, even if they hardly ever make it out of the system. I certainly don't miss gaussing issues with CRTs.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular

IIRC, there was a monitor scheme that tried exactly that, but it died under waves of patent bullshit.
    Eh, good OLED screens look way better than any CRT and have perfect contrast. I'm less interested in having electrons fired at my face, even if they hardly ever make it out of the system. I certainly don't miss gaussing issues with CRTs.

It took more then 10 years for them to catch up and best them in most areas, and even then, you pay out the nose for it.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

IIRC, there was a monitor scheme that tried exactly that, but it died under waves of patent bullshit.

It took more then 10 years for them to catch up and best them in most areas, and even then, you pay out the nose for it.

An HD CRT, produced in 2019 would VASTLY exceed the cost of an OLED panel of similar size. If we look back in time to 1994 a 35in RCA tv would cost you $2000 in 1994 money. Today you can get a 55in name brand OLED TV for less than $1500. Surprise, surprise, technology has both advanced and exceeded the capabilities of the past all while getting cheaper.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    That_Guy wrote: »

An HD CRT, produced in 2019 would VASTLY exceed the cost of an OLED panel of similar size. If we look back in time to 1994 a 35in RCA tv would cost you $2000 in 1994 money. Today you can get a 55in name brand OLED TV for less than $1500. Surprise, surprise, technology has both advanced and exceeded the capabilities of the past all while getting cheaper.

This is 100% true:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/compared-with-1999-sets-new-leading-edge-tvs-are-cheap/index.htm

Not sure if we had that exact TV on the right or not but it was something Sony in a similar form factor. I can't believe my parents would have paid $8,000 for it though. They probably cost half as much a couple years later.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Heatwave wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    I need help friends, on a themed build (Skaven of Warhammer fame) would you folks buy a

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
    nnr3ikmoc1bb.jpg

Or an ASRock X570 Taichi
    byd9p56gk1v5.jpg

I was leaning toward the Taichi because of that gear theming seemed nice and analog, but there are a number of features I'd stretch for on the Aorus, namely 2.5 gig ethernet, quad channel memory (for potential futureproofing), and a stronger warranty. Going to get it shipped to the border, because even with the conversion a Taichi is $700 CAD, or $300 USD, and that is just super duper turbo fucked.

Only $500 CAD, which isn't as bad. But the Aorus master is the same cost here. So maybe buying from a Canadian retailer isn't a bad idea, but the question between the boards still stands. Modify the Aorus to fit the theme, or use the Taichi.
    FYI the asrock Taichung runs a lot hotter than the gigabyte

From memory the lowest to highest temp boards for x570 are
    Gigabyte/asus
    Msi godlike and ace
    Asrock

Apparently the msi boards under the ace are shit and to be avoided.

Pretty sure hardware unboxed recently did a video comparing all the x570 boards

Found the video in question, https://youtube.com/watch?v=d31ZO22MZEM

Not sure how I missed this one, I watch almost all of their stuff considering I'm buying right now... VERY informative. It'll be the Aorus I go with this time. Thanks for the help!

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

This is 100% true:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/compared-with-1999-sets-new-leading-edge-tvs-are-cheap/index.htm

Not sure if we had that exact TV on the right or not but it was something Sony in a similar form factor. I can't believe my parents would have paid $8,000 for it though. They probably cost half as much a couple years later.

You could make the argument that cost always scales with production, though. At one point OLED TVs cost thousands of dollars, now you can get one for hundreds.

Obviously, part of the reason that the market and technology have worked out the way they have is because of cost pressures, but I'm not convinced that if we stuck with CRTs that they would always have the cost equivalence of a car.

• Options

This is 100% true:

You could make the argument that cost always scales with production, though. At one point OLED TVs cost thousands of dollars, now you can get one for hundreds.

Obviously, part of the reason that the market and technology have worked out the way they have is because of cost pressures, but I'm not convinced that if we stuck with CRTs that they would always have the cost equivalence of a car.

The cost likely would have come down, but really you could not have a 55" CRT TV, it would just weigh too much. There's a reason big TVs used to be projection TVs. The one we had (32" I think) weighed at least 100lbs, I could barely lift it alone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

This is 100% true:

The cost likely would have come down, but really you could not have a 55" CRT TV, it would just weigh too much. There's a reason big TVs used to be projection TVs. The one we had (32" I think) weighed at least 100lbs, I could barely lift it alone.

If for no other reason than the cost of distribution, a modern 55in 4k CRT would probably cost at least double an OLED, even with industries of scale. Also, that much molded glass is going to cost a lot more than a bunch of silicon wafers.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

wait
    holy shit

is the guy from far from home actually in that movie for real and it wasn't just retconned?!

jesus

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

wait
    holy shit

is the guy from far from home actually in that movie for real and it wasn't just retconned?!

jesus

How great must that phone call asking if he wanted to reprise the role have been?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

This is 100% true:

If for no other reason than the cost of distribution, a modern 55in 4k CRT would probably cost at least double an OLED, even with industries of scale. Also, that much molded glass is going to cost a lot more than a bunch of silicon wafers.

And the actuality of the situation is that for every 10,000 people who say "ooooh, that's so cool!" there might be 1 who actually decides to pay up and have a huge bulky heatsource in their room.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I couldn't find the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT in a search on amazon, but did find it outside of amazon linking in: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XMNGVVD/

Currently being scalped at a $100 markup.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I had been having constant problems with my PC, it was just crashing to black randomly after I installed my RTX 2060 Super. I tried reinstalling Windows on a freshly formatted drive, reinstalling every driver for every peice of hardware (when the system would run), adjusting settings in the BIOS, everything. Just random crashes, sometimes right after boot, sometimes after hours of gaming. I had previously been having lots of BSOD issues with the 5700 XT I had bought before, so I didn't think the problem was the graphics card itself.

I had a hunch it was related to using a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 CPU, since I'd had trouble updating the BIOS. Even though I'd reinstalled the BIOS update, that seemed like the likely culprit. So I went out and bought an X570 motherboard, installed it, and hoped.

One of the surefire ways to crash my PC was to fire up 3DMark Time Spy, it would always hard crash during the "collecting system info" bit right at the beginning.

Well it just returned a valid score without crashing.

I think my issue may be resolved!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Is there a risk of wiping my drive if I switch the boot from legacy+uefi to just uefi?

Looking for ways to speed up the time it takes to post. Takes about 20 seconds to post on a nvme m.2 ssd, whereas my previous build with a sata ssd was a lot quicker

Does anyone have insight on the above quote?

Looking for ways to speed up the post

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    There's no reason turning off Legacy should nuke anything, so may as well try turning it off.

You may need legacy to boot older stuff, but otherwise.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I was split between an Aorus and a TaiChi board too. Ended up picking the Aorus because its VRMs are apparently better. I got a lower end one(A Pro i think) but its been solid so far. OC'd my 8700K to 5Ghz without batting an eye.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I had been having constant problems with my PC, it was just crashing to black randomly after I installed my RTX 2060 Super. I tried reinstalling Windows on a freshly formatted drive, reinstalling every driver for every peice of hardware (when the system would run), adjusting settings in the BIOS, everything. Just random crashes, sometimes right after boot, sometimes after hours of gaming. I had previously been having lots of BSOD issues with the 5700 XT I had bought before, so I didn't think the problem was the graphics card itself.

I had a hunch it was related to using a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 CPU, since I'd had trouble updating the BIOS. Even though I'd reinstalled the BIOS update, that seemed like the likely culprit. So I went out and bought an X570 motherboard, installed it, and hoped.

One of the surefire ways to crash my PC was to fire up 3DMark Time Spy, it would always hard crash during the "collecting system info" bit right at the beginning.

What B450 board did you have? I'm curious because I'm planning to move from 2600 to 3XXX in about a year. I've been incrementally updating the BIOS on mine regularly, to confirm it keeps running fine.

(I've got a Gigabyte)

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I was split between an Aorus and a TaiChi board too. Ended up picking the Aorus because its VRMs are apparently better. I got a lower end one(A Pro i think) but its been solid so far. OC'd my 8700K to 5Ghz without batting an eye.

Thanks for the feedback, I think that's the direction I'm going. Now I'm just lost in the abyss of RAM QVL, and trying to find something that looks nice AND is in stock at a reasonable price here in Canada.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback, I think that's the direction I'm going. Now I'm just lost in the abyss of RAM QVL, and trying to find something that looks nice AND is in stock at a reasonable price here in Canada.

It's worth the effort in my recent experience. I disregarded the QVL thinking that "same brand, same speed, same CAS" would be fine. It wasn't. But higher speed, lower CAS Ram (same brand) that was on the QVL was fine.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

What B450 board did you have? I'm curious because I'm planning to move from 2600 to 3XXX in about a year. I've been incrementally updating the BIOS on mine regularly, to confirm it keeps running fine.

(I've got a Gigabyte)

It was an MSI B450M Gaming Plus.

jgeis on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So, has ASUS's RMA process always been complete shit, or is this a new thing?

I sent a $35 Bluetooth/Wifi adapter card to be RMA'd in late August, which they received in early September (thanks USPS tracking). Put aside the shitty quality of the network card only lasting about 4 months for a moment. Almost 3 weeks, and coming on ten phone calls later, I'm still getting messages telling me "We're going to speak to our repair and service department to have them contact you back as soon as possible." So I'm still waiting on them to consider whether or not to replace the network card. Not to get it back. Not to have it shipped out to me. For the RMA department to consider their options. It's a $35 network card, not a fucking Lamborghini.

I'm having trouble remembering the last time, in 20 years, I had service support this bad. This is basically an accomplishment at this point. I guess I'm lucky that in almost two decades of buying ASUS parts, I've always just thrown them away when they broke, and never actually tried to replace any of them. Their RMA department presumably takes a minimum three to five business days to determine whether or not they're going to breath.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    That mirrors what else I've heard about ASUS. Their product is pretty good quality but God forbid you have an issue.

Have you tried bugging them on Facebook or Twitter? It may not help, but there's a chance they'll actually move it forward.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Is there a risk of wiping my drive if I switch the boot from legacy+uefi to just uefi?

Looking for ways to speed up the time it takes to post. Takes about 20 seconds to post on a nvme m.2 ssd, whereas my previous build with a sata ssd was a lot quicker

Does anyone have insight on the above quote?

Looking for ways to speed up the post

Nothing will get wiped or deleted. All that can happen is it won't boot it if it was a bios instead of uefi install. Things will go back to how they were if you switch the option back.

Switch to uefi only and turn on any fast/quick boot options and see how you go.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Thinking about it, I'd agree with the above statements about Asus. I've had a lot of their products over the years but it is indeed a pain in the ass to get support. When I've needed an RMA it's unlikely they'd do an advanced rma, not even one secured with a credit card. I think their ROG stuff all comes with advanced rmas but I'd have to double check that to be sure.

I've never bought Gigabyte stuff before. Does anyone have any opinions on their warranty process?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    I can definitely spring for the 580.

I have an 8GB RX580 and it's great. I'm getting 60fps at 1920x1080 in just about every game I play, and a lot of them 60+ in 2560x1080 as well.

I want to go back in time 15 years or so to the SmokeStacks who was playing a lot of Quake II on a hand me down Pentium Pro 200MHz rig and show him this post so I can watch his head explode.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Honestly, I've had negative experiences with every motherboard manufacturer. I feel like it's a bit of a 'pick your poison' situation. Of the companies I've dealt with, only EVGA and Corsair customer support I'd consider good, and I don't think I've ever owned an EVGA motherboard anyhow (they don't make amd boards either).

• Options
    My RMA process with EVGA (GPU warranty claim) was about a 3 out of 5. You filled out the form and they gave you the shipping info, but you had to check your RMA periodically on their site to get any update. No status emails or similar. And it took (trying to remember) about 3-4 weeks turnaround after it arrived. And you had to go check the same site for shipping info.

But, they actually followed through with the RMA, so...

JayzTwoCents actually was discussing this on Twitter on Friday. He freely admitted that he likely gets priority treatment for any RMA, so it's tough for him to gauge how well the process works for normal consumers. This was specifically in regards to RMAs for AMD CPUs; which I guess the process is taking a lot of flak lately.

• Options
    Thinking about it, I'd agree with the above statements about Asus. I've had a lot of their products over the years but it is indeed a pain in the ass to get support. When I've needed an RMA it's unlikely they'd do an advanced rma, not even one secured with a credit card. I think their ROG stuff all comes with advanced rmas but I'd have to double check that to be sure.

I've never bought Gigabyte stuff before. Does anyone have any opinions on their warranty process?

I've been using Gigabyte motherboards since ~1999 or so, and never needed to find out about the warranty. But I've hard people complaining about their process in pretty bitter terms.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Personally, since I'm in Spain, I fully understand that if most of my computer pieces break chances are I will simply have to buy a new one, because getting a proper RMA out of most manufacturers around here is like pulling fucking teeth.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Honestly if a company came out that had boards that performed at least close to what else is out there, but it actually had customer service, they would make all the money.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    This might be the nudge I've been waiting for to upgrade (current PC's seventh birthday was a few months back), but I got an error with a graphics card today and wasn't exactly sure how to address it. I've got two 670s in SLI and only one is throwing the 43 error. Drivers are up to date, connections all seem snug, anything else to troubleshoot? 43 seems like just a very generic error message, from what I've found. Most of the troubleshooting assumes you've got the issue with a single card setup, but I don't know if anything about being a dual card setup changes things.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Is there a way to tell if I'm bottlenecked or just need more power somewhere - running Control with a i7-6700k @ 4.6 and rtx 2080 with slight overclock as well and sometimes it feels like the scenes need to draw or render in focus. For the most part it's nothing too bad, like not slowing down, I just thought with all that power I'd be running this on high at least.

jc8AjFM.png

• Options
    Run one card at a time and see if you can help narrow it down that way.

Given the age of the cards and making some assumptions, it's likely one or more of the fans on one of the cards is starting to die and some of the board components could be heating up.

If you're so inclined, remove and clean the heatsink from each card, reapply thermal paste (and thermal pads for the VRMs), and put it all back together. Do a quick but thorough inspection of the board components to look for any obvious thermal damage.

All of that should take you no more than a couple hours. You can check vids on YT for your specific card to help figure out how to take it apart.

If you still get the errors, then that specific card may just be at end-of-life.

A quick google suggests that the SLI bridge could also be a potential culprit. Do you have another one you can swap in to check?

----
    Possible but not likely: your PSU could be starting to show its age. Check your make and model to see how long the warranty is for it.

Hm. Old posts are saying that they are seeing 43 Error in Win 7 but not Win 8.1. Which version of Windows are you running? Related: other posts are recommending rolling back the drivers and/or selecting Windows 8 drivers.

====
    I kinda went down a rabbit hole with this, so enjoy.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Went down to Chicago to attend a friend's wedding yesterday, and I spent some time in Microcenter earlier today

In unrelated news, I now own a tasty Gigabyte 2070 Super in white

In further unrelated news, I'll be selling my EVGA 1070ti FTW2 I guess

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Is there a way to tell if I'm bottlenecked or just need more power somewhere - running Control with a i7-6700k @ 4.6 and rtx 2080 with slight overclock as well and sometimes it feels like the scenes need to draw or render in focus. For the most part it's nothing too bad, like not slowing down, I just thought with all that power I'd be running this on high at least.

jc8AjFM.png

A 6700k at 4.6 is still more than fast enough for almost anything gaming (maybe 4K with everything at max and high frame rate with a 2080ti might). Keep an eye on your CPU usage when you see the slowdown or whenever you're playing. If the CPU is staying at very high usage, let's say 75% of higher, then you have bottleneck. Otherwise it's something else.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Your running ultra widescreen with ray tracing on. You're going to see a performance hit. Ray tracing is hell on performance.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Your running ultra widescreen with ray tracing on. You're going to see a performance hit. Ray tracing is hell on performance.

On top of that, I think ultrawide 1440p is actually more than double the number of pixels as 1080p. It's going to require a lot of extra chooch to get decent framerates. In Control, you probably want to enable DLSS along with your RTX goodies. I was unable to maintain 60fps with my 2080 super and 3900x without it.

This discussion has been closed.