As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Video cards: Still expensive. Ryzen: Still awesome.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven't been keeping up with the thread as much as I'd like, but there's heckin lots of builds goin on and that's just dandy

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Guys i got a different case instead

p7pcu9xlgsim.png

I've got one of those too!
    ZhM184nl.jpg
    ZR48xDIl.jpg

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So about an hour and a half ago my boss asked what the best workstation processor was right now, so I replied "3990x" without really thinking or inquiring why (thinking he was setting up a new machine for one of our research labs).

15 minutes later I wander into his office to ask him an unrelated question, he started complaining about how expensive processors have gotten, asked if there was any reason not to do Intel since the 9900k was so much cheaper.
    Turns out he was trying to price out a new video recording/streaming rig for us, not an actual workstation. So now we're "only" getting a 3900x. I also, sadly, talked him down from a 2080ti to a 2070 Super since he had just blindly grabbed "best nvidia graphics card" results. Hopefully we are turning those savings into a new video camera, which will be far more useful to us. Still has to get approved separately by finance which sucks.

But oh, what could have been...

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    People buying 3990X-based systems for mundane office work is the current bane of my existence.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    People buying 3990X-based systems for mundane office work is the current bane of my existence.

BUT I NEED 32 CORES FOR GOOGLE CHROME.

(that's actually only half a joke)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I've seen clients get pretty damn good office machines, i7, 16 GB RAM, and then get an spinning platter drive and like whyyyyyyyyyyy.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

BUT I NEED 32 CORES FOR GOOGLE CHROME.

(that's actually only half a joke)

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I mean, some of our research labs will probably legitimately upgrade to a 3990x in the next year or so, just because it makes more sense for us to do that than to have to rent out datacenter space and manage an extra server or two. But they're also, you know, doing actual research where having the PCI bandwidth for drives and multiple workstation graphics cards makes sense.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    There have been times when I wished my work machine was a 64 core monster

not enough to justify the purchase but

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, the thing is that outside of a few niches, there is very little software that will take advantage of even 32 cores, let alone 64. Most stuff will run worse than it would on an 8 to 16 core CPU.

This gets people VERY angry when they realize they've dropped $6k on a system that underperforms a $3k system without thinking to actually ask anyone else's advice.

minor incident on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So crossposted with the mechanical keyboards thread but I'm getting my first real custom keyboard made, and it's a 16 key macro pad for work:

8i8uu498tkpi.png

It'll leverage QMK to run Autohotkey scripts to automate a lot of my repetitive work.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've always been interested in extra key accessories... I need to find an alternative to foot pedals because the software and drivers for the ones on the market is janky as shit.

I need something to alleviate wrist strain.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    bowen wrote: »
    I've always been interested in extra key accessories... I need to find an alternative to foot pedals because the software and drivers for the ones on the market is janky as shit.

Honestly you can do p much anything with an adapter and cheap keyboards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZEoss4XIgc

This is an amazing video, and dude is a macro monster (a few full size keyboards and stream decks, basically mapped out all of Adobe's stuff into key presses) and goes over what he does and even has links to all of the scripts and programs he uses to do it.

j6r26u6eoj1z.jpg

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

in all seriousness 8 cores is more than enough for what I need for a work computer but I was testing a laptop with 16GB of ram and I just got moved down to one with 8 when I had to give that one up and I think I'm going to die with just 8GB of ram.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

in all seriousness 8 cores is more than enough for what I need for a work computer but I was testing a laptop with 16GB of ram and I just got moved down to one with 8 when I had to give that one up and I think I'm going to die with just 8GB of ram.

Some large scale builds will cheerfully use every core of a 64 core monster. A bunch of the analysis I was doing last year I could have easily scaled to at least 32 cores without being IO saturated. 64 would probably have been stretching it though without another set of NVME drives.

But for the daily driver, 8 physical cores is adequate. 4 is tolerable but I don’t like it.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's worth remembering that it really isn't a long time at all since the popular wisdom was that 4 cores was plenty.

Software has a way of expanding to fit the hardware available, and whatever developers thought in the past, whatever scepticism there was or could be about how multi-threaded the future is died the day that AMD launched the Ryzen 1600 and put the budget baseline at 12 threads.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Check out Microsoft's accessibility controllers that they made for the Xbone. I bet they have pretty good compatibility and there are lots of interesting foot options and I bet the drivers are pretty decent.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    4wafab8gpdwu.png

Any news on when the new Ampere cards are gonna be revealed? I read that GDC is the rumor.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    They'll do the architecture reveal and Tesla (read: Big Data) version at GTC, which is their own conference at the end of March.

Consumer versions will probably launch around Computex, which is early June.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    NZXT released a new SFF case that apparently comes with PSU and AIO and directly mimics the XboneX. I don't think any of those are bad things, but the price point appears to be in the $300 US range.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    NZXT released a new SFF case that apparently comes with PSU and AIO and directly mimics the XboneX. I don't think any of those are bad things, but the price point appears to be in the $300 US range.

Looks awesome, but $350, yikes. That's $100 for the SFX PSU, $100 for the AIO, and $150 for the case. Of course, other fancy SFF pc cases cost more than $150, so I guess it's competitive with those.

Also it has pointless tempered glass, whyyyyyy?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020

That is an extremely fair price point for what goes into that product

...is an assessment I can make with a very high degree of certainty.

minor incident on
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Looks awesome, but $350, yikes. That's $100 for the SFX PSU, $100 for the AIO, and $150 for the case. Of course, other fancy SFF pc cases cost more than $150, so I guess it's competitive with those.

Also it has pointless tempered glass, whyyyyyy?

It is nearly impossible to sell a mass market gamer/pc enthusiast case without a tempered glass side panel in today's market.

I know it's not to everyone's taste (and I don't even entirely disagree with you), but y'all are in the extreme minority.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I don't even like glass, but my R6 came with it and finding one without the glass was more expensive and took two more weeks to ship.

It's just an annoying thing that needs more cleaning for no reason, but it's not the end of the world.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I don't specifically mind glass, I just don't like it when airflow is sacrificed for aesthetics.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I love the glass, it's me. Especially tinted, so my amazing RGB's appear to be just floating in the void.

Although right now, there are a million fingerprints...on the inside, and god knows I ain't wiping it down till something blows up

Dixon on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i hate all aesthetic stuff that will get old fast and is designed by low-salary engineers who know zero about actual visual design and that makes my cases more expensive
    i furiously hate RGB for that reason.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I don't have an issue with glass in general, but on this case you won't even be able to see anything - the glass panel points at the edge of the motherboard and graphics card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    As someone that never has put his pc within viewing distance, I just buy black monoliths(R4) and hide it.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I prefer as much silence as I can get, so I tend to avoid glass.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    My case has tempered glass on both sides. I'm not sure why.

I guess if people have rgb PSU cables? It's not like there's anything to see on the mobos backplate

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I prefer as much silence as I can get, so I tend to avoid glass.

The lesser noise protection of glass combined with the fact that the H110 is not exactly inaudible has really made my new computer significantly noisier than my old one.

• Options
  • Options
    If you don't want tempered glass but a supremely solid case. This is my current case.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352085

• Options
    No one in the industry really does windowless black boxes better than Fractal.

• Options
    Yeah, I had wanted the Fractal R6 version without the glass, but it wasn't in stock anywhere, and I didn't want to wait a month for a case.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @minor incident I'm glad you're here! I missed you. That's all - keep being awesome!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I used to not give a shit about aesthetics and herumpherumphed about how it was dumb to build a PC to look good, who wants tempered glass, fuck RGB's, etc. Then I built a PC that looks nice and now I'll never go back. It's a show piece, people notice it when they walk in my space...and you can absolutely build one that won't "get old fast" or be garish.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I used to not give a shit about aesthetics and herumpherumphed about how it was dumb to build a PC to look good, who wants tempered glass, fuck RGB's, etc. Then I built a PC that looks nice and now I'll never go back. It's a show piece, people notice it when they walk in my space...and you can absolutely build one that won't "get old fast" or be garish.

My entire PC space is now an evil purple glow and it's super cool

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    One random plus about having glass (or plastic) case windows is that if you know if it gets dusty.

This discussion has been closed.