Options

10 minutes is too long to not have a [MOVIES] thread

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Retaliation was fine.

It just wan't "cinematic universe, six years later" fine.

I would wager anything they do now is a reboot, at this point

Sure, but put out the damn reboot first before you start talking about spinoffs.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Retaliation was fine.

It just wan't "cinematic universe, six years later" fine.

I would wager anything they do now is a reboot, at this point

Sure, but put out the damn reboot first before you start on the spinoffs.
    I think spin-off is literally just how Hollywood sites are referring to it because it is a GI Joe movie that is ostensibly not just GI Joe rather than something it is intentionally designed as

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh that is 100% a dick

Things can be two things.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh that is 100% a dick

Things can be two things.

No they can't

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh that is 100% a dick

Well I don't believe anyone's 100% a dick

Gonna be honest

This is probably my favorite line from either of the GotG movies

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Ok but that one on the bottom right is a penis

Pretty sure that tree looks like my Dad, just like every single therapist I've see before.

Now why they have a tree that looks like my therapist is another penis entirely.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Well, couldn't grt any of my friends to cone along, but midsommar is finally out and i'm just waiting for the doors to open

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    yeah so that was pretty fucked up

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

why did I waste my money on all these damn marvel films when I could have been watching this

the best thing about this scene

is one of those barrel shield formations don't clear the wall and just DONK off it

The movie is Bahubaali 2. Bahubaali and its sequel are both incredible.

They are on Netflix right now...

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/xFCrR3Uw6Mk

This

Doesn't look great

Besides my personal feeling that the art style is super ugly it looks like a bog standard CG animated kids flick to the point of multiple music drops and busting out "ITS GONNA BE LIT" while a dude is on fire and so on

It bums me out!

The art direction could be not for me and ok but my God does the writing seem terrible in the trailer.
    Just the most by the numbers "uhhh well they are weird right?" With no soul shit. Pugsly is just a fart boy, fester just seems lame, etc.
    How much of me remembering the cartoon series being pretty good is just nostalgia though?

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The tv show and movies are top notch. The cartoon is apparently so bad Ive never seen ot on any rerun block

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The tv show and movies are top notch. The cartoon is apparently so bad Ive never seen ot on any rerun block

Oh dear, I remember liking it and the Beetlejuice one.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    quality has almost nothing to do with making syndication. what a weird leap of logic to make.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What a weird statement?

• Options
    not really?

"i've never seen it, so it must be bad" is a hell of a conclusion to jump to.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I don't think "no one showed it ever again, it probably wasn't that popular" is really that far-fetched

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea Adams family only had 22 episodes, so not nearly enough for syndication. I remember it being fun, but not having the magic that the beetlejuice cartoon had.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    there are so many factors involved when you don't hit that number, and animation, at that time in particular, was seen as so disposable/interchangeable by networks that it was rare for shows to hit it.

and then add in being a licensed adaptation? man it's a quagmire of rights issues just waiting for anyone to replay it further down the road.

then when syndication does work out, shit is packaged so weirdly that popularity really doesn't matter, you might end up airing a few things no one cares about just to get that one thing you wanted/fill time.

hell, that's the only reason it's a wonderful life is popular.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man, I don't remember the Addams Family 90's cartoon at all. I remember the Beetlejuice cartoon. I was watching a LOT of animated series in 92-93 though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man, I don't remember the Addams Family 90's cartoon at all. I remember the Beetlejuice cartoon. I was watching a LOT of animated series in 92-93 though.

You ever watch the Highlander Cartoon? That show was hardcore.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bring back attack of the killer tomatoes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I loved the Addams Family cartoon growing up

Wednesday was a bit more animated (hah) than the movies, but they were weird and fun

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

From wikipedia
    Geared towards children, much of the family's macabre nature was toned down. Unlike in the live action series Uncle Fester loves explosives and blowing himself up. In order for the series to fit with other Saturday morning cartoons, plot lines were geared around the family living in the bright, cheerful town of Happydale Heights and facing some kind of threat from a series of recurring villains or individuals who either wanted to force the Addams' from their home or capture one of them (usually Uncle Fester) for nefarious purposes.

The first episode to air involved a plot against Uncle Fester by Norman Normanmeyer's "arch nemesis," a faceless gangster; the episode was aired out of production order, however, and relied on the viewers having seen previous episodes for context, thus leaving the audience in the dark as to why Norman had a nemesis. Later episodes would introduce the series' most common recurring villains, an underwear obsessed family, the Normanmeyer's that lived next door to the Addams and despised them for their lifestyle being an affront to typical suburban living (with the exception of their son N.J.).

Episodes dealing with the Normanmeyers usually involved Norman and Normina, trying to rid Happydale Heights of the Addams Family or spying on the Addams; N.J. is friends with Wednesday and Pugsley, inevitably leading to intrafamilial conflict. At the end of several episodes, when the conflict was resolved, Gomez usually suggested a family dance. The first suggestion for the dance was usually thrown out because of some weird requirement. Uncle Fester is usually the one to point out the reason the first suggestion should not be accepted albeit sometimes Gomez and Uncle Fester found themselves in a role reversal (with Uncle Fester making the suggestion and Gomez pointing out the reason not to follow it). The second suggestion was accepted and there was usually a requirement for that dance too.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/the-hunt-canceled-universal-betty-gilpin-hilary-swank-emma-roberts-1203298774/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Universal has caved to pressure and cancelled the release of The Hunt

This fuckin sucks

Having it cancelled literally the day after Trump goes on a tirade about Hollywood being racist establishes a horrible precedent

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am completely disgusted about that

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I’m way more mad about this than I expected to be

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Man this is exactly what The Hunt (2012) was about!

• Options
    I 100% agree the marketing seems to have been straight up irresponsible, given the plot synopses being thrown around, but A) that's 100% on the studio and B) I have an incredibly hard time believing that the talent behind the script and the stars who signed on would have done so if the satire being thrown around was "lolol what if the rich people were liberal and the Hunted were MAGAheads" and now we will never know because Universal is a bunch of cowards

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hold two opinions, simultaneously and equally

The first is that it is a bad, irresponsible premise, and the movie probably shouldn't have been made

The second is that even appearing to cave to 45's whims on acceptability is fucking garbage

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm still confused as to what it was satirising

And now I guess I'll never know

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Now I'm remembering Roger Ebert's scathing tirade of a review for Zoolander.
    There have been articles lately asking why the United States is so hated in some parts of the world. As this week's Exhibit A from Hollywood, I offer "Zoolander," a comedy about a plot to assassinate the prime minister of Malaysia because of his opposition to child labor. You might want to read that sentence twice. The logic: Child labor is necessary to the economic health of the fashion industry, and so its opponents must be eliminated. Ben Stiller stars as Derek Zoolander, a moronic male model who is brainwashed to perform the murder.

Malaysia is a mostly Muslim country with a flag that looks a lot like ours: It has the red and white stripes of the American flag, and a blue field in the upper left corner, which instead of stars displays Islamic symbols, the star and crescent. Malaysia is home to the Petronas Towers of Kuala Lumpur, the world's tallest buildings. But you get the point. If the Malaysians made a comedy about the assassination of the president of the United States because of his opposition to slavery, it would seem approximately as funny to us as "Zoolander" would seem to them. I realize I am getting all serious on you. Obviously, in times like these, we need a little escapism. "Hagrid," the usually sane critic at Ain't It Cool News, went to see "Zoolander" feeling "a comedy is just what I needed, and, what I feel, everybody needs at this time." His verdict? "It's a perfect film to help people forget everything for a few hours, and it's gonna be huge." Well, you know, I wanted to forget, but the movie kept making me remember. I felt particularly uncomfortable during the scenes involving the prime minister, shown as an elderly Asian man who is brought to New York to attend a fashion show where he is targeted for assassination. I would give you his name, since he has a lot of screen time, but the movie's Website ignores him, and the entry on the Internet Movie database, which has room to list 26 actors, neglects to provide it. Those old Asian actors are just place-holders, I guess, and anyone could play the prime minister.

For that matter, any country could play Malaysia. In years past, movies invented fictional countries to make fun of. Groucho Marx once played Rufus T. Firefly, the dictator of Fredonia, and "The Mouse That Roared" was about the Duchy of Grand Fenwick. Didn't it strike anybody connected with this movie that it was in bad taste to name a real country with a real prime minister? A serious political drama would be one thing, but why take such an offensive shot in a silly comedy? To some degree, "Zoolander" is a victim of bad timing, although I suspect I would have found the assassination angle equally tasteless before Sept. 11. The movie is a satirical jab at the fashion industry, and there are points scored, and some good stuff involving Stiller and Owen Wilson, who play the world's two top male models--funny in itself. The best moments involve the extreme stupidity of the Stiller character. Shown a model of a literary center to be built in his honor, he sweeps it to the floor, exclaiming: "This is a center for ants! How can we teach children to read if they can't even fit inside the building?" Funny, yes, and I like the hand model whose hand is sealed inside a hyperbarbic chamber to protect it. I also admire the ruthlessness with which "Zoolander" points out that the fashion industry does indeed depend on child labor. The back-to-school clothes of American kids are largely made by Third World kids who don't go to school. In fact, the more you put yourself into the shoes (if he had any) of a Muslim 12-year-old in a sport-shirt factory, the more you might understand why he resents rich Americans, and might be offended by a movie about the assasination of his prime minister (if he had the money to go to a movie). Kids like that don't grow up to think of America as fondly as the people who designed his flag.

Responding quickly to the tragedy of Sept. 11, the makers of "Zoolander" did some last-minute editing. No, they didn't dub over the word "Malaysia" or edit around the assassination of the prime minister. What they did was digitally erase the World Trade Center from the New York skyline, so that audiences would not be reminded of the tragedy, as if we have forgotten. It's a good thing no scenes were shot in Kuala Lumpur, or they probably would have erased the Petronas Towers, to keep us from getting depressed or jealous or anything.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm missing something about that review. The villains of that film try to do something unambiguously evil and the happy ending is that they're stopped. How is that different from like... In the Line of Fire?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its sadlarious that hollywood, retailers, and like espn are doing everything they can to placate the "its not the guns!" crowd. God forbid we confront the actual problem in america.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah, that's kind of a weird take. There's a lot of reasons to think that Zoolander is pretty terrible, and there's also a lot to cringe about the way the US uses other countries as props in america-centric media. I don't know that the intersection of that particular Venn has much worth aiming at, though.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I laughed at Zoolander

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think Ebert was just primed not to like the film.

But hey, remember The Interview? Now there's a film I would have liked to have seen Ebert have a swing at.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I also think that, in part because his name is so synonymous with film review, that people get all weird about when Ebert didn't like something

Maddoc on
  • Options
    The two parts of The Hunt cancellation that are sticking in my craw the most are:

1) Trump never actually mentioned the film by name. He just went on a rant about Hollywood in general and that is evidently enough to make a major studio completely scrap a film in 2019 which is horrifying.

And 2) The narrative that news sites seem to be running with is that it was cancelled due to the mass shootings which is clearly bullshit because Paramount is still releasing Gemini Man and Terminator: Dark Fate this year, which are just as gun happy as The Hunt was in its trailer.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I laughed at Zoolander

it's a movie I don't like, overall, but has some jokes that have really stuck with me

i.e. "or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogoly was??"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I find some of the lines from Zoolander funny - like that school for ants thing - but to me Ben Stiller is a total black hole of charisma so I get nothing from actually watching it.

This discussion has been closed.