As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Boris Johnson has revived his plan to build a bridge between Northern Ireland and Scotland - saying that it would be a “very good” idea and that it would cost £15bn.

You'd think that he'd at least choose a different type of infrastructure project this time around.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2019
    Something eye-catching to slap his name on. Yep, he's the same vainglorious prick he always was.

Bogart on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Some eye-catching to slap his name on. Yep, he's the same vainglorious prick he always was.

In fairness, I'm all about massive infrastructure projects to drive economic activity. And there have certainly been longer bridges built over water. So it's not absurd on its face.
    But I imagine we'd find a better use for 15bn 20bn 35bn noideareally bn somehow.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I mean he has such an excellent track record with bridges

what could possibly go wrong.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Some eye-catching to slap his name on. Yep, he's the same vainglorious prick he always was.

In fairness, I'm all about massive infrastructure projects to drive economic activity. And there have certainly been longer bridges built over water. So it's not absurd on its face.
    But I imagine we'd find a better use for 15bn 20bn 35bn noideareally bn somehow.

Beaufort's Dyke is a bit of a problem there.

Also the tons of munitions/chemical weapons/nuclear waste that was dumped into it after WWII.

Also I think I saw something about it being twice the length of the current longest bridge in the world?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    From the BBC:

In terms of distance - more than 20 miles for the Portpatrick project - it would not be the longest bridge over water in the world.

That honour goes, according to Guinness World Records, to the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge which has 48.3km (about 30 miles) of its span over water.

It credits the 36km (22.4 mile) Hangzhou Bay Bridge as the structure spanning the greatest expanse of open sea.

They are all dwarfed by the longest bridge of all - the Danyang-Kunshan Grand Bridge - at 164 km (102 miles) which stretches the furthest but not over water.

There's a part of me that thinks this would be fucking cool, but I can't see it ever happening.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The depth is a concern and according to an engineer I know it'd be closed all the time because weather

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The northern part of the Irish Sea can be pretty hella choppy. If you're doing anything, a tunnel might be more appropriate.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be a massive impediment to shipping in a pretty busy area?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Also the tons of munitions/chemical weapons/nuclear waste that was dumped into it after WWII.

One million tons of conventional and chemical weapons. Building of an undersea gas line in the 90s dislodged 4500 incendiary bombs. There's phosgene, mustard gas, sarin, and others down there, tens of thousands of tons of 'em. Disturbing any of that would lead to a massive disaster and this has been known for decades...so that might actually the plan and Boris and co. plan to profit off that manmade catastrophe just like with Brexit.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

One million tons of conventional and chemical weapons. Building of an undersea gas line in the 90s dislodged 4500 incendiary bombs. There's phosgene, mustard gas, sarin, and others down there, tens of thousands of tons of 'em. Disturbing any of that would lead to a massive disaster and this has been known for decades...so that might actually the plan and Boris and co. plan to profit off that manmade catastrophe just like with Brexit.

Killing everyone in the area with mustard gas is a… novel way of solving the looming crisis in NI.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a massive impediment to shipping in a pretty busy area?

That's where it suddenly creeps up to £40 billion to add raising segments for passing ships.

• Options
    It's the kind of idea you have if you don't have a clue what you're on about, which is fine for most of us but when you are the PM and you're actually in control of large infrastructure projects you need to actually you know, present sane ideas

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Killing everyone in the area with mustard gas is a… novel way of solving the looming crisis in NI.

Fun fact!
    Worse yet, the mustard gas will react with water to form a breakdown product called hemi-mustard, which is equally toxic. It also releases hydrochloric acid (HCl) as part of this reaction. The HCl has haz- ardous effects of its own.

• Options
    Anything novel ending in -chloric I tend to assume is rather horrible, based on what I can recall from GCSE Chemistry

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I believe the correct way of dealing with a large hydrochloric acid spill is to call a mortician.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Anything novel ending in -chloric I tend to assume is rather horrible, based on what I can recall from GCSE Chemistry

Only to biological life.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Only to biological life.

I mean I wouldn't want to be a robot near a large HCl spill either...

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The depth is a concern and according to an engineer I know it'd be closed all the time because weather

We have a bridge around here (Causeway Bridge over Lake Pontchartrain) that goes a greater distance that manages the weather reasonably well. It does involve some annoying precautions, but is generally unimpeded even with our generally stormy weather. It's pretty shallow water though. I think it mostly stays around 12 ft deep.

• Options
    I've heard rumors that the government has been thinking about a Northern Ireland only backstop. Now I'm wondering if this stupid bridge idea is Boris' idea in order to soften the blow of setting up an internal border between NI and the rest of the UK.

It's so damn stupid it might just be the case.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I've heard rumors that the government has been thinking about a Northern Ireland only backstop. Now I'm wondering if this stupid bridge idea is Boris' idea in order to soften the blow of setting up an internal border between NI and the rest of the UK.

Theresa May pondered a similar idea, but fell afoul of her reliance on the DUP because any internal border between NI and Great Britain is unacceptable to them, and honestly it's a stance I can fully understand. Since Boris went and rendered their dependency on the DUP moot by booting out 21 of his own MPs it would be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular

im not sure what youre getting at, there was already an ni-only backstop in mays wa - that was the fundamental problem, in that she was relying on the dup to get a majority and they would never vote for anything that makes ni legally different to the rest of the uk (except of course wrt abortions and flegs)

i mean i dont think that a ni-only backstop would be a hard sell to the british electorate because fundamentally the vast majority of the british electorate dont give a flying fuck about ni. this would "nicely" solve the border issue from a uk-eu point of view. it would introduce an effective border between ni and ruk, but as i say for most of the uk pop ni is out of sight, out of mind

however, its not the electorate as a whole that has to approve this, its the house of commons. and so far the hocs response to the idea has been "lol no". almost certainly the only way that johnson could pass a ni-only backstop would be by calling a ge and hoping the numbers fall out his way, but at the minute the most likely outcome of a ge looks to be hung house 2: hang harder

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I seem to remember the NI only backstop being rather popular as terrible Brexit ideas go.

In fact IIRC the other problem with it at the time (other than the DUP threatening to end the confidence agreement on the spot) was that Scotland and Lodon were making serious requests for being on the "wrong" side of the backstop as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Just depends on how much of it there is and how dilute it is. I would think in this case the mustard gas and its reaction products are the greater threat. It would take a shitton of HCl to acidify even the local ocean to skin-eating levels (and remember you have dilute HCl in your stomach helping digest food right now.)

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm not sure a massive infrastructure project aimed at building a bridge between northern ireland and scotland (who are liable to scexit in the not too distant future if this shit goes down) is the best use of post no deal brexit money.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Is Project Fear just the conservative fancy boogyman term for anything negative that could happen post Brexit or is it an actual thing?

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    Is Project Fear just the conservative fancy boogyman term for anything negative that could happen post Brexit or is it an actual thing?

It is the go-to dismissal of any reports of negative consequences of Brexit, dating back to the referendum.

Side note, I made the very poor decision to see some twitter opinions about Yellowhammer, and perhaps the most depressing Egyptian River take was "oh it's just sexed up exactly like the Iraq evidence". In general a fundamental determination to disbelieve "the establishment".

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yes

Project Fear was an actual term applied to the campaign of "you'll be fucked" during the Scots referendum, which was applied to negative consequences mentioned in the Brexit one. Now it's basically just shorthand for I don't want to hear what you're saying/you're talking brexit down etc

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Well, I mean, Remainers pointing out all the horrible consequences of Brexit are labelled Project Fear by Brexiteers, and Remainers do keep pointing out all the horrible consequences of Brexit, so in that sense ""Project Fear"" is kind of a thing if you want to look at it that way. Sort of.

Another term for 'Project Fear' would be 'Facing Facts', but Brexiteers prefer to believe that the Promised Land of Milk and Honey is due to arrive the moment the UK's left the EU.

• Options

It is the go-to dismissal of any reports of negative consequences of Brexit, dating back to the referendum.

Side note, I made the very poor decision to see some twitter opinions about Yellowhammer, and perhaps the most depressing Egyptian River take was "oh it's just sexed up exactly like the Iraq evidence". In general a fundamental determination to disbelieve "the establishment".

Facebook comments are about the same. Even allowing for Russian troll accounts, the number of comments about Project Fear and/or not even caring if Yellowhammer is accurate because Brexit, Fuck Yeah! is insane.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    And now for something non-Brexit

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/news/immersive-technology-report-17-19/

UK Parliament, after analyzing, has stated that loot boxes are gambling and summary:

Sale of loot boxes to children should be banned
    Government should regulate ‘loot boxes’ under the Gambling Act
    Games industry must face up to responsibilities to protect players from potential harms
    Industry levy to support independent research on long-term effects of gaming
    Serious concern at lack of effective system to keep children off age-restricted platforms and games

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    And now for something non-Brexit

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/news/immersive-technology-report-17-19/

UK Parliament, after analyzing, has stated that loot boxes are gambling and summary:

Sale of loot boxes to children should be banned
    Government should regulate ‘loot boxes’ under the Gambling Act
    Games industry must face up to responsibilities to protect players from potential harms
    Industry levy to support independent research on long-term effects of gaming
    Serious concern at lack of effective system to keep children off age-restricted platforms and games

Good news, but, Well it's a dcms committee review anyway. Whether that translates into any actual legislation, especially in our current situation where absolutely nothing is getting a look in at parliamentary time, remains to be seen.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Facebook comments are about the same. Even allowing for Russian troll accounts, the number of comments about Project Fear and/or not even caring if Yellowhammer is accurate because Brexit, Fuck Yeah! is insane.

People tend to vastly overestimate the stability of the current political and economic situation, despite the historical evidence suggesting that periods of social stability lasting even a single human lifetime are quite rare.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49679743

The Court of Session is being asked to use a power available to it, but not available to the courts of England and Wales, to sign the letter to the EU requesting an extension on the prime minister's behalf should he refuse to do so

This is going to go well

• Options
    At this rate it feels like a great way to pick up tons of anti-Scottish quotes from the government, so even if it doesn't fly you've gotten a great case for IndyRef2.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    At this rate it feels like a great way to pick up tons of anti-Scottish quotes from the government, so even if it doesn't fly you've gotten a great case for IndyRef2.

I mean

That's happening already, albeit not directly from the government

There's no shortage of brexiteers surprised and appalled to discover that:
    1) Scotland has a distinct legal system from England and Wales; and
    2) that constitutionally E&W law does not and cannot in any sense "overrule" decisions in Scottish or NI courts

The more thoughtful are particularly exercised by the fact that Scots law does not consider the actions of the monarch outside the scope of the law, as E&W law does ("we should exert ourselves at once to drive [the King] out as our enemy and a subverter of his own rights and ours, and make some other man who was well able to defend us our King").

Some of them are no doubt going to be further distressed to find out that, when hearing the Court of Session appeal, the Supreme Court will sit as a court of Scots law

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Haha. Cummings is actually working undercover for the SNP on a scexit strategy.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Shouldn't Scottish Independence from the Union be SC-out?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    the number is suspect as far as I can tell ( saw one suggestion only way you can reach that number is if you measure the movement in shorts summing both directions.... ) - broadly the banks want Brexit to do a capitalism story keeps getting pushed out because they are the villain du jour but barring a few boutique places its a tough money making prospect, certainly for big institutions, and the connections that tend to be outlined are either more class related ( lots of finance adjacent cons ) or risk mitigation ( eg moving assets, various forms of hedging, etc )

other things being equal finance types hate Brexit

it seems trivially obvious the crashing of the economy would lose you more money in externalities than you might make shorting the economy

without ten years of federal reserve quantitative easing at least

e: oh i... see there was another page of posts

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    Well alright, if they are equally obtuse on the matter, then I'll go with the party who's policies I actually support.

But they're not. Lib Dems will revoke article 50. Labour will renegotiate and then have a referendum, and then maybe back leave and maybe back remain. Maybe now that Parliament is closed they can go away and come up with a coherent policy, because right now it's garbage.

Their policy has been restated today and it's just as ridiculous as usual:

Iain is a BBC political correspondent.

You have to admit that saying in advance that you won't support the deal you yourself negotiated is also ridiculous, and perhaps a bad way to start of a negotiation.

Like, what is supposed to be your strategy there? Why would the EU bother to make concessions if you say you don't care about it? Why would anyone believe you had made a good faith effort to negotiate the best possible deal? Why would you have bothered?

You don't negotiate a salary for a new job by saying you don't want the job anyway. Labour's position of "We will try and get the best deal and if that sucks we will back Remain." is absolutely the best and most logical strategy here. Committing to Remain beforehand is absolute bonkers dumb.

No, it's not the best or most logical strategy. Because the best outcome is to not Brexit.

But without backing revoking article 50 you are essentially forced to negotiate, because otherwise your referendum will just have the options of Remain and No-deal Brexit. And while I admire the confidence of assuming Remain would win, I don't think it is entirely wise to let that happen.

If you support a 2nd referendum, then the best choice is to wait until you have a deal before committing.

This discussion has been closed.