As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Also for some reason the Mirror March tokens get exiled (not sacrificed), while Chandra's tokens get sacrificed.

That's a power level thing. Copy tokens often exile so you don't get dies triggers in addition to ETB triggers on whatever it is you copy. Chandra's tokens don't have any enters/leaves effects on their own so they can be sacrificed without additional concerns. They're not super consistent on this (Feldon of the Third Path and Kiki-Jiki both sacrifice their tokens, for instance) but it's a decent rule of thumb.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Youd think this game would have a better spectating mode than the janky thing they do for stream

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Bant ramp meta way worse than rdw meta

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

More expensive too, at least in paper. Im sure something will get banned on monday. Theyre trying to hype up the endless mirrors but it just comes down to who can slam oko and nissa first.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I get that they wanted Oko to be able to animate his Food and sort of neutralize hostile creatures, but that ability really is just "let's make all these interesting cards that do stuff just do nothing anymore." Between him and Teferi, why play non-planeswlker permanents at all.

Also was there a Tarmogoyf-esque mistake that made the animation ability a +1 instead of a -1? The built-in planeswalker downside of "dies to creatures" doesn't really apply when it's a 3-drop with a giant pile of hitpoints that never gets smaller.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Mayhem Devils + Oven Cats is an amazing combo. I dare say not even jank any more.

I have a version that's a big sack of rats, when it goes off it's brilliant

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Enigmedic wrote: »

More expensive too, at least in paper. Im sure something will get banned on monday. Theyre trying to hype up the endless mirrors but it just comes down to who can slam oko and nissa first.

Mengucci's deck from Mythic V looks to me to be one of the most fun, for some value of fun. Ignoring the sideboard, you have:

Rares:
    4 Gilded Goose
    2 Once Upon A Time
    4 Deputy of Detention
    4 Wicked Wolf
    4 Nissa, Who Shakes the World
    4 Hallowed Fountain
    4 Temple Garden
    4 Breeding Pool
    3 Fabled Passage

Mythics:
    4 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    4 Questing Beast
    4 Hydroid Krasis

9 basic lands, 2 Commons, 4 Uncommons, 33 Rares and 12 Mythics. If apples were oranges and this was Hearthstone, it'd be a 33,000 dust deck. While MTGA is more generous in giving packs and cards, you're also less likely to get what you need from a pack, and you can't turn your dozens or hundreds of Common and Uncommon wild cards into Rares and Mythics.

And then some decks, particularly Fires decks, are pushing over 40 rares, typically with minimal drop in Mythic count.

It's one of the reasons that I like to stick to drafts as much as I can. FOMO led to me prioritizing the Mu sleeves for my gems rather than the Mastery pass, leading to needing to save all of my gems rather than reinvesting in drafts (I average out to a 4 win player, which is fine but not infinite) in order to get the Mastery pass, and having nothing but Standard most days for a few weeks was painful.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Yukuhiro playing Mardu knights like a real gentleman.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Embercleave is my favorite card in the set.

Except of course when it's used against me.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

He went 2-1 against Simic Food without ever drawing it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

He went 2-1 against Simic Food without ever drawing it

All part of the RNG. You’re guaranteed a couple of non-games a day on stream that are decided by deck order, and never drawing X or being mana flooded or mana screwed.

• Options

Lee Shi Tian piloting mono red, making top 8, beating another Golos/Field deck.

You either die a villain, or live long enough to see yourself become the hero.

I appreciate his scarf as well.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Lee Shi Tian piloting mono red, making top 8, beating another Golos/Field deck.

You either die a villain, or live long enough to see yourself become the hero.

I appreciate his scarf as well.

Its a mask like the hong kong protesters as he is from there.

I would totally be able to play the bant/simic decks with minimal further investment online. At one point i dumped all my wildcards into the nissa mass manipulation deck. So i would just need a few eldrain cards.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I am relatively appreciative of it even when played against me because Embercleave at least kills me in one simple, quick package, instead of making me wait for a million triggers and three turns to make absolutely sure there's enough zombies to kill me.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Put Bladebrand in to my Aristocats deck, now Mayhem Devil is flinging death touch cat carcasses at all the opponent's creatures.

Young Chandra killed sooo many cats...

• Options
    Man, simic food is dumb

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Put Bladebrand in to my Aristocats deck, now Mayhem Devil is flinging death touch cat carcasses at all the opponent's creatures.

You running rakdos or mardu aristos?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Simic food and bant ramp as far as the eye can see. End up rooting for the fuckin Cavalcade deck.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Elldren wrote: »

You running rakdos or mardu aristos?

Rakdos. I just can't get mardu to be fast enough, though I might re-visit that.

I feel that mardu will be just plain better as a Knights deck rather than aristocrats.

DanHibiki on
  • Options

I took a break from drafts to try the Eldraine event.

2 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
    4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
    10 Plains (ANA) 61
    4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
    2 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
    4 Venerable Knight (ELD) 35
    9 Mountain (ANA) 64
    4 Worthy Knight (ELD) 36
    4 Inspiring Veteran (ELD) 194
    4 Acclaimed Contender (ELD) 1
    2 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143
    4 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
    4 Scorching Dragonfire (ELD) 139
    2 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
    1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238

5-1, the loss was to a mirror. Embereth Shieldbreaker was the surprising MVP, coming up as a topdeck to kill Ovens more than once.

Also, I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing any of my Tournament grounds. . . oops.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Simic food and bant ramp as far as the eye can see. End up rooting for the fuckin Cavalcade deck.

Justice was served. GRUUL SMASH wins MC V.

Timmy's everywhere rejoice.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Field of the Dead officially banned.

They probably should hit Oko as well, but at least they are watching it.

Time to start running 4x Noxious Grasp main deck.

Assuran on
  • Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    Field of the Dead officially banned.

They probably should hit Oko as well, but at least they are watching it.

Time to start running 4x Noxious Grasp main deck.

I mean they maybe should have hit Oko because his numbers are pushed past breaking and his huge impact on the current meta but as they state in the announcement B&R prefer to keep their bans as conservative as possible

Also Oko is like, the shiny new mythic walker from the set that just released and banning him instead of a rare land from a set ago would probably seriously hurt current set sales. Also piss off a bunch of people who literally just bought Oko playsets

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Too early for eldaine bans

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Not expecting it, but getting some sort of wildcard compensation for FOTD would be nice.

Oh well *goes back to playing Esper Stax*

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Not expecting it, but getting some sort of wildcard compensation for FOTD would be nice.

Oh well *goes back to playing Esper Stax*

No this is your punishment

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd be surprised if we didn't. We got WCs for Nexus and that was only banned in bo1.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well i guess i should play a lot of arena before the announcement takes effect

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if we didn't. We got WCs for Nexus and that was only banned in bo1.

IIRC Nexus was only available via WC. Or was there a big pack bundle too?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i've played a draft and a half today and I just can't get into the format, also i don't like the format, these mysteries may be intertwined. i'm like 2-10 in this format.

• Options
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

IIRC Nexus was only available via WC. Or was there a big pack bundle too?

That's true and I'd forgotten about it, but imo it shouldn't matter.
    i've played a draft and a half today and I just can't get into the format, also i don't like the format, these mysteries may be intertwined. i'm like 2-10 in this format.

Those are probably related.

I like it, though I've mainly had 3-4 win drafts other than a 7-2 with an absolutely broken mono-U mill deck. Aggro seems weak and near-stalls are pretty common, but there are plenty of combos and plays that can break up a stall even aside from bombs.

I lost a game yesterday by forgetting the "exile target card from a graveyard" mode on Return to Nature, which let my opponent recur a key spell with the blue land. That was painful but in a cool way.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

As someone who has many posts in here about being terrible at drafting I finally found fairly consistent success after I gave up all of that nonsense where you try to flex your draft muscle.

I started just forcing archetypes that are both straight forward to play in the format and easy to force due to reliance on commons and uncommons.

My records went from almost always negative with the very rare even run to almost always positive with the occasional even run and 7 win runs.

Although that is probably a boring way for many people to play. But winning and actually turning coins in to good amounts of gems feels pretty good to me.

• Options
    I honestly just flat do not enjoy limited formats

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    enjoy limited a lot, but not this limited

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There's a lot of stuff and on-board tricks that people miss that you can exploit. Usually around sacrificing or adventures. Like pro-tip Gingerbrute is food. Use Faerie Godmother to break Trapped in the Tower. For the love of god sac stuff targeted by Bake in a Pie if you can. Or use it to crew a carriage before they die. If you get something targeted by an adventure like Queen of Ice, consider bouncing or sacrificing it if you can; or if they're trying to buff something of theirs and you have a removal spell you're saving, get that two for one; if an adventure can't resolve, they can't cast the creature half later!

Also just read cards, that red trebuchet thing has reach and I ran a Tome Raider into it the other night feelin real dumb.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    yeah having a sac outlet handy like the black bear who eats creatures and artifacts or Witch's Oven is real useful

also I've been running into a few pseudo-Bogle decks that make Gingerbrute and Princess really big and mostly-unblockable. Seems fun but really vulnerable to black removal and bounce.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    yeah having a sac outlet handy like the black bear who eats creatures and artifacts or Witch's Oven is real useful

also I've been running into a few pseudo-Bogle decks that make Gingerbrute and Princess really big and mostly-unblockable. Seems fun but really vulnerable to black removal and bounce.

I think witch’s oven in particular had been very underrated when the set was revealed. It’s really, really good in limited

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I really wish that there was an in-game way to see your draft deck after you lose three or win seven.

I was at 6-2 with a mono white knights deck and I realized about a second too late that I hadn’t screenshotted it. With my final game over, I can claim my prize, but I can’t see my deck. And yes, I could play a deck tracker, I know. QQ, etc.

• Options
    I really wish that there was an in-game way to see your draft deck after you lose three or win seven.

I was at 6-2 with a mono white knights deck and I realized about a second too late that I hadn’t screenshotted it. With my final game over, I can claim my prize, but I can’t see my deck. And yes, I could play a deck tracker, I know. QQ, etc.

I think if you run a deck tracker now it can still pull the decklist from your logs.