Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

A GST On The Ethics of Democrats Appearing on Alt Right Sympathetic Media

1235727

Posts

  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Rogan is a middle of the road [sb]hithead libertarian with shit views on most gender issues[/b]. I don't think he's alt right or a nazi or a fascist or whatever flavor of right wing fascist is popular at the moment.

    What exactly do you think the alt-right is? Because the bold generally translates to racist and sexist when you drop euphemisms. And he associates himself with alt-right figures and says alt-right stuff. He's a 9/11 truther who shields himself with "just asking questions". He has claimed the moon landings were fake.

    "Left racism is the real threat"


    Where they talk about Trump being bad, but Green New Deal is interesting if it makes magic trains but they attack the idea of racism being important.
    or
    “Well, they’re constantly holding those two contradictions, right?” he said. “I mean, here’s another one: women’s rights and support of the hijab. I mean, what’s going on there? How do you do that? Don’t be Islamophobic but also support women’s rights and gay rights.”

    If you look at the chain of quotes you snipped it was pretty direct that I was asking for evidence of any of his alt right association because what we had is he hated Hillary Clinton(not uncommon) and he had alt-right people on.

    I dont know how moon landings being fake or being a 9/11 truther makes him alt right. I'm seriously not going to watch a joe rogan linked video one was enough for my youtube history. Are you quoting rogan or the guest?

    Conspiracy theories are intrinsically linked to the alt-right, just like "the real racism is from the left."

    The quote is Rogan from a different video. Rogan is incoherent and summarizing is more efficient, but that's an alt-right figure.

    And the reason you don't want Rogan on your YT timeline is the algorithm links you to alt-right videos because he's an alt-right gateway

    Fucking seriously!

    Just by going to Youtube to get that link and forgetting to log out before doing, my timeline now has fucking recommendations for a "Jordan Petersen CALMLY DISMANTLES..." vid, and a link to the time Rogan had Jones on.

    dispatch.o
  • PhasenPhasen Let's Disrupt the 2020 ElectionRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.
    This is such a weird argument, because Joe Rogan is hugely transphobic and Bernie Sanders has appeared on the Breakfast Club

    Why is it difficult to understand that it is not my argument but me turning your arguments on its head? Like this will be the fifth time I have had to repeat I do not care about this like you guys do. There is value in going onto those programs to reach people. Like the trans advocate did after those shit comments on The Breakfast Club.

    psn: PhasenWeeple
    YamiB.NSDFRandMrMisterDee Kae
  • PhasenPhasen Let's Disrupt the 2020 ElectionRegistered User regular
    Also Ezra Klien and Vox are now cancelled due to having Jordan Peterson on for a debate.

    psn: PhasenWeeple
    Styrofoam SammichDee KaeJulius
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Find me a major outlet even vaguely morally clean that never gives a platform to repugnant views.

    YamiB.FencingsaxTryCatcherDee Kae
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Rogan is a middle of the road [sb]hithead libertarian with shit views on most gender issues[/b]. I don't think he's alt right or a nazi or a fascist or whatever flavor of right wing fascist is popular at the moment.

    What exactly do you think the alt-right is? Because the bold generally translates to racist and sexist when you drop euphemisms. And he associates himself with alt-right figures and says alt-right stuff. He's a 9/11 truther who shields himself with "just asking questions". He has claimed the moon landings were fake.

    "Left racism is the real threat"


    Where they talk about Trump being bad, but Green New Deal is interesting if it makes magic trains but they attack the idea of racism being important.
    or
    “Well, they’re constantly holding those two contradictions, right?” he said. “I mean, here’s another one: women’s rights and support of the hijab. I mean, what’s going on there? How do you do that? Don’t be Islamophobic but also support women’s rights and gay rights.”

    If you look at the chain of quotes you snipped it was pretty direct that I was asking for evidence of any of his alt right association because what we had is he hated Hillary Clinton(not uncommon) and he had alt-right people on.

    I dont know how moon landings being fake or being a 9/11 truther makes him alt right. I'm seriously not going to watch a joe rogan linked video one was enough for my youtube history. Are you quoting rogan or the guest?

    Conspiracy theories are intrinsically linked to the alt-right, just like "the real racism is from the left."

    The quote is Rogan from a different video. Rogan is incoherent and summarizing is more efficient, but that's an alt-right figure.

    And the reason you don't want Rogan on your YT timeline is the algorithm links you to alt-right videos because he's an alt-right gateway

    My kids youtube videos will also link up with bloody sonic. Youtube just sucks.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I dont know. Not many people wanted to comment on The Breakfast club having an Transphobic host because its the same team.

    Because you were asked to provide evidence of the Breakfast Club pushing conspiracy theories similar to how Rogan does.

    I'll echo Marathon's response to you and say that moved the goal posts and gave us one link about the host having ignorant/gross opinions about the trans community, and the other being an interview with Warren where she is asked about, and responds to, criticism about her supposed Native American ancestry.

    Neither of those things is remotely in the same ballpark as Rogan saying (direct quote I've linked several times now):
    I was infuriated when people that I knew, that I am friends with, try to tell me that Hillary Clinton was a good choice, that she is the sane choice. Look, I don't know if she's murdered people, but I know that I'm worried she's murdered people. That's a real concern.

    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.

    That has nothing to do with the fact you were asked to provide evidence of conspiracy theories from them instead of gross opinions. I mean, YOU might not think propaganda pushed by the Russian government to (successfully!) damage Clinton was important, but I sure as hell do.

    I'm also going to need a citation for "everyone" knowing that it was bullshit that was Clinton behind Rich's murder, because that shit, along with garbage from Wikileaks (which Rogan ALSO covered with validity), spread like wildfire among the Sanders supporters in my circle of friends.

    I'm glad you put those words in my mouth how else would I say something like that. The transphobic stuff is far worse. Call up Harris and Warren.

    But don’t call Bernie about appearing on a show with a Transphobic host, he’s only gone on 2 shows that fit this criteria.

    You’re arguing out of both sides of your mouth here. On one hand you’re more concerned about Charlamagne being trans-phobic because that community is actively being persecuted and in some cases murdered, and that’s way more important than the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton is a murderer.

    And then on the other hand you are attempting to drag Warren and Harris for going on this show because of his beliefs....when Sanders has been on the exact same show.

    Marathon on
    No-QuarterFANTOMAS
  • PhasenPhasen Let's Disrupt the 2020 ElectionRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Rogan is a middle of the road [sb]hithead libertarian with shit views on most gender issues[/b]. I don't think he's alt right or a nazi or a fascist or whatever flavor of right wing fascist is popular at the moment.

    What exactly do you think the alt-right is? Because the bold generally translates to racist and sexist when you drop euphemisms. And he associates himself with alt-right figures and says alt-right stuff. He's a 9/11 truther who shields himself with "just asking questions". He has claimed the moon landings were fake.

    "Left racism is the real threat"


    Where they talk about Trump being bad, but Green New Deal is interesting if it makes magic trains but they attack the idea of racism being important.
    or
    “Well, they’re constantly holding those two contradictions, right?” he said. “I mean, here’s another one: women’s rights and support of the hijab. I mean, what’s going on there? How do you do that? Don’t be Islamophobic but also support women’s rights and gay rights.”

    If you look at the chain of quotes you snipped it was pretty direct that I was asking for evidence of any of his alt right association because what we had is he hated Hillary Clinton(not uncommon) and he had alt-right people on.

    I dont know how moon landings being fake or being a 9/11 truther makes him alt right. I'm seriously not going to watch a joe rogan linked video one was enough for my youtube history. Are you quoting rogan or the guest?

    Conspiracy theories are intrinsically linked to the alt-right, just like "the real racism is from the left."

    The quote is Rogan from a different video. Rogan is incoherent and summarizing is more efficient, but that's an alt-right figure.

    And the reason you don't want Rogan on your YT timeline is the algorithm links you to alt-right videos because he's an alt-right gateway

    My kids youtube videos will also link up with bloody sonic. Youtube just sucks.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I dont know. Not many people wanted to comment on The Breakfast club having an Transphobic host because its the same team.

    Because you were asked to provide evidence of the Breakfast Club pushing conspiracy theories similar to how Rogan does.

    I'll echo Marathon's response to you and say that moved the goal posts and gave us one link about the host having ignorant/gross opinions about the trans community, and the other being an interview with Warren where she is asked about, and responds to, criticism about her supposed Native American ancestry.

    Neither of those things is remotely in the same ballpark as Rogan saying (direct quote I've linked several times now):
    I was infuriated when people that I knew, that I am friends with, try to tell me that Hillary Clinton was a good choice, that she is the sane choice. Look, I don't know if she's murdered people, but I know that I'm worried she's murdered people. That's a real concern.

    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.

    That has nothing to do with the fact you were asked to provide evidence of conspiracy theories from them instead of gross opinions. I mean, YOU might not think propaganda pushed by the Russian government to (successfully!) damage Clinton was important, but I sure as hell do.

    I'm also going to need a citation for "everyone" knowing that it was bullshit that was Clinton behind Rich's murder, because that shit, along with garbage from Wikileaks (which Rogan ALSO covered with validity), spread like wildfire among the Sanders supporters in my circle of friends.

    I'm glad you put those words in my mouth how else would I say something like that. The transphobic stuff is far worse. Call up Harris and Warren.

    But don’t call Bernie about appearing on a show with a Transphobic host, he’s only gone on 2 shows that fit this criteria.

    You’re arguing out of both sides of your mouth here. On one hand you’re more concerned about Charlamagne being trans-phobic because that community is actively being persecuted and in some cases murdered, and that’s way more important than the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton is a murdered.

    And then on the other hand you are attempting to drag Warren and Harris for going on this show because of his beliefs....when Sanders has been on the exact same show.

    Seriously this would be the fourth time I had to restate my position to you directly but I just don't have it in me. Why is this difficult to understand?

    psn: PhasenWeeple
    YamiB.NSDFRandMrMister
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Rogan is a middle of the road [sb]hithead libertarian with shit views on most gender issues[/b]. I don't think he's alt right or a nazi or a fascist or whatever flavor of right wing fascist is popular at the moment.

    What exactly do you think the alt-right is? Because the bold generally translates to racist and sexist when you drop euphemisms. And he associates himself with alt-right figures and says alt-right stuff. He's a 9/11 truther who shields himself with "just asking questions". He has claimed the moon landings were fake.

    "Left racism is the real threat"


    Where they talk about Trump being bad, but Green New Deal is interesting if it makes magic trains but they attack the idea of racism being important.
    or
    “Well, they’re constantly holding those two contradictions, right?” he said. “I mean, here’s another one: women’s rights and support of the hijab. I mean, what’s going on there? How do you do that? Don’t be Islamophobic but also support women’s rights and gay rights.”

    If you look at the chain of quotes you snipped it was pretty direct that I was asking for evidence of any of his alt right association because what we had is he hated Hillary Clinton(not uncommon) and he had alt-right people on.

    I dont know how moon landings being fake or being a 9/11 truther makes him alt right. I'm seriously not going to watch a joe rogan linked video one was enough for my youtube history. Are you quoting rogan or the guest?

    Conspiracy theories are intrinsically linked to the alt-right, just like "the real racism is from the left."

    The quote is Rogan from a different video. Rogan is incoherent and summarizing is more efficient, but that's an alt-right figure.

    And the reason you don't want Rogan on your YT timeline is the algorithm links you to alt-right videos because he's an alt-right gateway

    My kids youtube videos will also link up with bloody sonic. Youtube just sucks.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I dont know. Not many people wanted to comment on The Breakfast club having an Transphobic host because its the same team.

    Because you were asked to provide evidence of the Breakfast Club pushing conspiracy theories similar to how Rogan does.

    I'll echo Marathon's response to you and say that moved the goal posts and gave us one link about the host having ignorant/gross opinions about the trans community, and the other being an interview with Warren where she is asked about, and responds to, criticism about her supposed Native American ancestry.

    Neither of those things is remotely in the same ballpark as Rogan saying (direct quote I've linked several times now):
    I was infuriated when people that I knew, that I am friends with, try to tell me that Hillary Clinton was a good choice, that she is the sane choice. Look, I don't know if she's murdered people, but I know that I'm worried she's murdered people. That's a real concern.

    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.

    That has nothing to do with the fact you were asked to provide evidence of conspiracy theories from them instead of gross opinions. I mean, YOU might not think propaganda pushed by the Russian government to (successfully!) damage Clinton was important, but I sure as hell do.

    I'm also going to need a citation for "everyone" knowing that it was bullshit that was Clinton behind Rich's murder, because that shit, along with garbage from Wikileaks (which Rogan ALSO covered with validity), spread like wildfire among the Sanders supporters in my circle of friends.

    I'm glad you put those words in my mouth how else would I say something like that. The transphobic stuff is far worse. Call up Harris and Warren.

    But don’t call Bernie about appearing on a show with a Transphobic host, he’s only gone on 2 shows that fit this criteria.

    You’re arguing out of both sides of your mouth here. On one hand you’re more concerned about Charlamagne being trans-phobic because that community is actively being persecuted and in some cases murdered, and that’s way more important than the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton is a murdered.

    And then on the other hand you are attempting to drag Warren and Harris for going on this show because of his beliefs....when Sanders has been on the exact same show.

    Seriously this would be the fourth time I had to restate my position to you directly but I just don't have it in me. Why is this difficult to understand?

    Because you keep shifting your position to whatever happens to be most beneficial for Sanders in that particular moment.

    First you say the BC peddles conspiracy theories...and then it’s just problematic language.

    But then you say that you don’t actually have a problem with the language from the show. You just called it that to paint people as hypocrites for attacking Sanders being on Rogen’s show. Not to mention your dismissal of criticism as just coming from insincere people who just “hate Bernie”

    And then you go and dismiss criticism of Rogen and him pushing the conspiracy that Hillary is a murderer because suddenly the trans-phobic comments from Charlamagne are really a problem.

    But at the same time they aren’t, because you have taken multiple different opinions on this topic when they happen to be most convenient for you.

    AngelHedgieNo-QuarterQuidPreacherBandableiTunesIsEvilCptKemzikjmcdonaldForarKristmas KthulhuElldrenDarkewolfeFANTOMAS
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.
    This is such a weird argument, because Joe Rogan is hugely transphobic and Bernie Sanders has appeared on the Breakfast Club

    Why is it difficult to understand that it is not my argument but me turning your arguments on its head? Like this will be the fifth time I have had to repeat I do not care about this like you guys do. There is value in going onto those programs to reach people. Like the trans advocate did after those shit comments on The Breakfast Club.
    If you don't care about it, the 32 posts in this thread are an odd choice.

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    QuidshrykeBandableNyysjanForar
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    Also worth note, Bernie Sanders has also appeared on the Breakfast Club. Are you ok with that? Or is it now only a problem that Warren and Harris should contend with?
    this is missing the point profoundly

    no, it's fine that warren and harris went on it. it's fine that people still go on CNN. you go where the audience is. as long as you don't fuck it up by either adulterating the message or getting publicly owned, it's fine
    quoting because apparently there is some confusion

    Styrofoam SammichYamiB.PhasenMrMisterJuliusTehSpectresanstodo
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Rogan is a middle of the road [sb]hithead libertarian with shit views on most gender issues[/b]. I don't think he's alt right or a nazi or a fascist or whatever flavor of right wing fascist is popular at the moment.

    What exactly do you think the alt-right is? Because the bold generally translates to racist and sexist when you drop euphemisms. And he associates himself with alt-right figures and says alt-right stuff. He's a 9/11 truther who shields himself with "just asking questions". He has claimed the moon landings were fake.

    "Left racism is the real threat"


    Where they talk about Trump being bad, but Green New Deal is interesting if it makes magic trains but they attack the idea of racism being important.
    or
    “Well, they’re constantly holding those two contradictions, right?” he said. “I mean, here’s another one: women’s rights and support of the hijab. I mean, what’s going on there? How do you do that? Don’t be Islamophobic but also support women’s rights and gay rights.”

    If you look at the chain of quotes you snipped it was pretty direct that I was asking for evidence of any of his alt right association because what we had is he hated Hillary Clinton(not uncommon) and he had alt-right people on.

    I dont know how moon landings being fake or being a 9/11 truther makes him alt right. I'm seriously not going to watch a joe rogan linked video one was enough for my youtube history. Are you quoting rogan or the guest?

    Conspiracy theories are intrinsically linked to the alt-right, just like "the real racism is from the left."

    The quote is Rogan from a different video. Rogan is incoherent and summarizing is more efficient, but that's an alt-right figure.

    And the reason you don't want Rogan on your YT timeline is the algorithm links you to alt-right videos because he's an alt-right gateway

    My kids youtube videos will also link up with bloody sonic. Youtube just sucks.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I dont know. Not many people wanted to comment on The Breakfast club having an Transphobic host because its the same team.

    Because you were asked to provide evidence of the Breakfast Club pushing conspiracy theories similar to how Rogan does.

    I'll echo Marathon's response to you and say that moved the goal posts and gave us one link about the host having ignorant/gross opinions about the trans community, and the other being an interview with Warren where she is asked about, and responds to, criticism about her supposed Native American ancestry.

    Neither of those things is remotely in the same ballpark as Rogan saying (direct quote I've linked several times now):
    I was infuriated when people that I knew, that I am friends with, try to tell me that Hillary Clinton was a good choice, that she is the sane choice. Look, I don't know if she's murdered people, but I know that I'm worried she's murdered people. That's a real concern.

    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.

    That has nothing to do with the fact you were asked to provide evidence of conspiracy theories from them instead of gross opinions. I mean, YOU might not think propaganda pushed by the Russian government to (successfully!) damage Clinton was important, but I sure as hell do.

    I'm also going to need a citation for "everyone" knowing that it was bullshit that was Clinton behind Rich's murder, because that shit, along with garbage from Wikileaks (which Rogan ALSO covered with validity), spread like wildfire among the Sanders supporters in my circle of friends.

    I'm glad you put those words in my mouth how else would I say something like that. The transphobic stuff is far worse. Call up Harris and Warren.

    If Russian propaganda (that Clinton murdered Rich) pushed by their misinformation outfit (Wikileaks) and useful idiots (Rogan) was important to you, then why are you trying to hand-wave it away by saying no one believed the conspiracy about Rich?

  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I don't think Phasen's been inconsistent, even if I don't agree with him.

    He doesn't think it matters, and points out other platforms candidates have appeared on with their own problems to suggest that pulling out Rogan as a unique failure is wrong.

    I disagree, since I still think Rogan is unique in some ways, and also want candidates to be more discerning and general, but there's nothing incoherent in that stance.

    SleepPhasenArchJulius
  • PhasenPhasen Let's Disrupt the 2020 ElectionRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Rogan is a middle of the road [sb]hithead libertarian with shit views on most gender issues[/b]. I don't think he's alt right or a nazi or a fascist or whatever flavor of right wing fascist is popular at the moment.

    What exactly do you think the alt-right is? Because the bold generally translates to racist and sexist when you drop euphemisms. And he associates himself with alt-right figures and says alt-right stuff. He's a 9/11 truther who shields himself with "just asking questions". He has claimed the moon landings were fake.

    "Left racism is the real threat"


    Where they talk about Trump being bad, but Green New Deal is interesting if it makes magic trains but they attack the idea of racism being important.
    or
    “Well, they’re constantly holding those two contradictions, right?” he said. “I mean, here’s another one: women’s rights and support of the hijab. I mean, what’s going on there? How do you do that? Don’t be Islamophobic but also support women’s rights and gay rights.”

    If you look at the chain of quotes you snipped it was pretty direct that I was asking for evidence of any of his alt right association because what we had is he hated Hillary Clinton(not uncommon) and he had alt-right people on.

    I dont know how moon landings being fake or being a 9/11 truther makes him alt right. I'm seriously not going to watch a joe rogan linked video one was enough for my youtube history. Are you quoting rogan or the guest?

    Conspiracy theories are intrinsically linked to the alt-right, just like "the real racism is from the left."

    The quote is Rogan from a different video. Rogan is incoherent and summarizing is more efficient, but that's an alt-right figure.

    And the reason you don't want Rogan on your YT timeline is the algorithm links you to alt-right videos because he's an alt-right gateway

    My kids youtube videos will also link up with bloody sonic. Youtube just sucks.
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I dont know. Not many people wanted to comment on The Breakfast club having an Transphobic host because its the same team.

    Because you were asked to provide evidence of the Breakfast Club pushing conspiracy theories similar to how Rogan does.

    I'll echo Marathon's response to you and say that moved the goal posts and gave us one link about the host having ignorant/gross opinions about the trans community, and the other being an interview with Warren where she is asked about, and responds to, criticism about her supposed Native American ancestry.

    Neither of those things is remotely in the same ballpark as Rogan saying (direct quote I've linked several times now):
    I was infuriated when people that I knew, that I am friends with, try to tell me that Hillary Clinton was a good choice, that she is the sane choice. Look, I don't know if she's murdered people, but I know that I'm worried she's murdered people. That's a real concern.

    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.

    That has nothing to do with the fact you were asked to provide evidence of conspiracy theories from them instead of gross opinions. I mean, YOU might not think propaganda pushed by the Russian government to (successfully!) damage Clinton was important, but I sure as hell do.

    I'm also going to need a citation for "everyone" knowing that it was bullshit that was Clinton behind Rich's murder, because that shit, along with garbage from Wikileaks (which Rogan ALSO covered with validity), spread like wildfire among the Sanders supporters in my circle of friends.

    I'm glad you put those words in my mouth how else would I say something like that. The transphobic stuff is far worse. Call up Harris and Warren.

    But don’t call Bernie about appearing on a show with a Transphobic host, he’s only gone on 2 shows that fit this criteria.

    You’re arguing out of both sides of your mouth here. On one hand you’re more concerned about Charlamagne being trans-phobic because that community is actively being persecuted and in some cases murdered, and that’s way more important than the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton is a murdered.

    And then on the other hand you are attempting to drag Warren and Harris for going on this show because of his beliefs....when Sanders has been on the exact same show.

    Seriously this would be the fourth time I had to restate my position to you directly but I just don't have it in me. Why is this difficult to understand?

    Because you keep shifting your position to whatever happens to be most beneficial for Sanders in that particular moment.

    First you say the BC peddles conspiracy theories...and then it’s just problematic language.

    But then you say that you don’t actually have a problem with the language from the show. You just called it that to paint people as hypocrites for attacking Sanders being on Rogen’s show. Not to mention your dismissal of criticism as just coming from insincere people who just “hate Bernie”

    And then you go and dismiss criticism of Rogen and him pushing the conspiracy that Hillary is a murderer because suddenly the trans-phobic comments from Charlamagne are really a problem.

    But at the same time they aren’t, because you have taken multiple different opinions on this topic when they happen to be most convenient for you.

    The anti-trans comments and conspiracy theories are things I dislike and people, such as yourself, that really believe going on shows with bad actors is a bad thing should be up in arms over going on The Breakfast Club as much as going on rogans show. You do not though.

    I truly do not care about Rogan one bit. People ran with him being alt right because he promoted another conspiracy theory that happened to be about Clinton and the fact that he brings alt-right people on. That simply is not enough. He brings on lots of different guests and people who actually listen to him have said they don't believe he is alt right. Sorry out of context snapshots are things people around here love to do and frankly i'm over it.

    The reason I can bludgeon you guys over that position is because you are inconsistent. I can say well why weren't you up in arms about Harris or Warren or why didn't you know this shit thing The Breakfast Club host did and why don't you value it accordingly now that I brought it to your attention.

    And yes I will say this topic was brought up is mostly due to some lingering Bernie hatred. Not that most people do not feel strongly about politicians going onto these shows but it kinda slides by if its other politicians.

    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I wonder how popular he is already among democratic voters

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I'd argue that. yes.


    I mean,
    Climate Change? Agrees something needs to be done. Talks about it a lot
    Health Care? Brings it up all the time, though he isnt sure which specific way is better to go (universal, single payer, medicare 4 all etc) he is a supporter
    Same sex marriage? is in favor
    Trans rights? Is in favor. Only place he differs is allowing biological men to compete directly in physical sports against biological women (his words)
    Universal Basic Income? He is in favor
    Legalization of marijuana? in favor
    Raising minimum wage? Supports it, but thinks $15 is too high
    is Pro Choice
    Is anti big business
    supports down sizing the military
    Agrees that the police can be pretty fucked up in spots
    supports some increased gun laws though is against bans


    All of that is like....pretty damned left leaning if you ask me. plus, he has the biggest podcast in the country so, Bernie going on there to have as much time to talk about his ideas as possible, to someone who is -if nothing else- quite receptive to those idea AND it goes out to the largest swath of the American people?

    And you guys dont think thats all positive? Mainly because he has people you dont agree with on there?
    It boggles my mind.

    WhiteZinfandelFrankiedarlingSolvent
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i was first to drag john delaney for going on fox and friends to hippie punch and bitch about medicare for all

    glenn greenwald is a shit for going on tucker carlson to gloat over mueller bullshit

    but i just do not have it in me to get mad for advocating medicare for all for like an hour to millions of people. holy shit

    Stabbity StyleAridholFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudwanderingTryCatcherSummaryJudgmentJuliusTehSpectre
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Yeah anyone claiming Rogan's show is alt right clealry hasnt actually listened to it

    WhiteZinfandelFrankiedarlingJulius
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Its a different thing when Nagle or Tracey or Greenwald go on like Tuck's show or whatever. Theyre just there to be the good leftist who agrees that the bad leftists are out of control. Its a grift for them same as it is for the host.

    Styrofoam Sammich on
    ElendilTryCatcherNo-Quarter
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I'd argue that. yes.


    I mean,
    Climate Change? Agrees something needs to be done. Talks about it a lot
    Health Care? Brings it up all the time, though he isnt sure which specific way is better to go (universal, single payer, medicare 4 all etc) he is a supporter
    Same sex marriage? is in favor
    Trans rights? Is in favor. Only place he differs is allowing biological men to compete directly in physical sports against biological women (his words)
    Universal Basic Income? He is in favor
    Legalization of marijuana? in favor
    Raising minimum wage? Supports it, but thinks $15 is too high
    is Pro Choice
    Is anti big business
    supports down sizing the military
    Agrees that the police can be pretty fucked up in spots
    supports some increased gun laws though is against bans


    All of that is like....pretty damned left leaning if you ask me. plus, he has the biggest podcast in the country so, Bernie going on there to have as much time to talk about his ideas as possible, to someone who is -if nothing else- quite receptive to those idea AND it goes out to the largest swath of the American people?

    And you guys dont think thats all positive? Mainly because he has people you dont agree with on there?
    It boggles my mind.

    I would argue that that's moderate, not left leaning, but I have no familiarity with Joe Rogan beyond NewsRadio

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • PhasenPhasen Let's Disrupt the 2020 ElectionRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Phasen wrote: »
    Apologies to Hillary Clinton's campaign but Trans people are actually murdered and jailed. I'm going to dislike transphobic takes over some conspiracy theory that everyone knew was such. I didnt move the goal posts at all because one is actually fucking worse.
    This is such a weird argument, because Joe Rogan is hugely transphobic and Bernie Sanders has appeared on the Breakfast Club

    Why is it difficult to understand that it is not my argument but me turning your arguments on its head? Like this will be the fifth time I have had to repeat I do not care about this like you guys do. There is value in going onto those programs to reach people. Like the trans advocate did after those shit comments on The Breakfast Club.
    If you don't care about it, the 32 posts in this thread are an odd choice.

    Did you seriously just count my posts to make a pithy remark? Also saying I dont care about this like you guys do, does not mean I dont care about it.

    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Idk sometimes a I think a lot of Democrats divide people between Democrat-Republican/Nazi-Non voter who might as well not exist, and it might be comforting but its not really helpful.

    A huge swath of the country has lots of opinions that mostly just leave them in this weird limbo. There are at least as many people in the US who want single payer, dont want their taxes to go up, and believe molly will let you see God as there are people who listen to Pod Save America. That's also Joe Rogan's core demo. Republicans and alt right grifters work them over relentlessly and we need to too.

    Stabbity StylePhasenElendilAridholNobodyTryCatcherFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudMrMisterCrimson KingSolarSageinaRageMeeqe
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    I just know every time I had to stop someone preaching in public about how the Charlottesville protesters had some good points and deserved to be listened to they were also folks that regularly suggested the Joe Rogan podcast. Super small sample size and totally anecdotal, but that's my general experience with Joe Rogan listeners.

    They're willing to hear out the other side even if the other side is white supremacy, and unfortunately they've had a lot of white supremacist conspiracy theorist influences.

    If anything, the good idea might just be brigading Rogan with a bunch of left wing guests cause his audience is seemingly super pliable and susceptible to influence.

    He exists in this weird fuckin limbo state where a bunch of his stated beliefs aren't that bad, he's just too dumb to see good solutions when they are presented, and not smart enough to realize when people are selling him total bullshit.

    Sleep on
    ElendilQuidElldrenDarkewolfeAistan
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My impression is that his demo is a lot of people who actually think none of this matters, and it's all just another sport.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    SleepStyrofoam SammichMonwynHappylilElfTryCatcheroverride367Kristmas KthulhuAistan
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Let's take a step back.

    Would anyone here argue if we said Rogan is a force for conspiracy thinking and pseudo-intellectualism?

    And from there, would anyone argue that conspiracy theories and pseudo-intellectualism are a leading route into the alt-right?

    He doesn't need to be a Nazi to be a problem.

    I'd argue that. yes.


    I mean,
    Climate Change? Agrees something needs to be done. Talks about it a lot
    Health Care? Brings it up all the time, though he isnt sure which specific way is better to go (universal, single payer, medicare 4 all etc) he is a supporter
    Same sex marriage? is in favor
    Trans rights? Is in favor. Only place he differs is allowing biological men to compete directly in physical sports against biological women (his words)
    Universal Basic Income? He is in favor
    Legalization of marijuana? in favor
    Raising minimum wage? Supports it, but thinks $15 is too high
    is Pro Choice
    Is anti big business
    supports down sizing the military
    Agrees that the police can be pretty fucked up in spots
    supports some increased gun laws though is against bans


    All of that is like....pretty damned left leaning if you ask me. plus, he has the biggest podcast in the country so, Bernie going on there to have as much time to talk about his ideas as possible, to someone who is -if nothing else- quite receptive to those idea AND it goes out to the largest swath of the American people?

    And you guys dont think thats all positive? Mainly because he has people you dont agree with on there?
    It boggles my mind.

    I would argue that that's moderate, not left leaning, but I have no familiarity with Joe Rogan beyond NewsRadio

    Actually yea. Thats a fair take.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I have not watched Sanders on the Joe Rogan thing, but from reading positive reactions in the Sanders subreddit, it sounds like it was not an alt right sympathic fox news type antagonistic thing. It sounds like Rogan talked about how none of Bernie's ideas are as "radical" as they are sometimes portrayed and generally seemed to agree with a lot of the things he was saying.

    So regardless of if Joe Rogan is a gateway to the alt right or not, I'm skeptical that this is as bad a look as people in this thread are making that appearance out to be. I could very well be wrong, I've never listened to a Joe Rogan podcast at all, but from what I'm seeing it seems to be giving Bernie popular support and potentially reaching some voters who might have voted third party or not at all. And I am guessing the number of people it might reach and encourage is probably more than the number of people who are going to jump ship from voting for Sanders because of it.

    I'd also like to see more politicians have long form discussions where they have to explain their reasoning and talk about their policies instead of bringing prepared sound clips and only having to talk for thirty seconds about an issue. In an environment where they can have a frank discussion with someone who isn't trying to pry a "look at what this moron said" out of them (looking at you fox news), that seems very beneficial overall.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
    SleepTryCatcherDee Kaejimb213
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I have not watched Sanders on the Joe Rogan thing, but from reading positive reactions in the Sanders subreddit, it sounds like it was not an alt right sympathic fox news type antagonistic thing. It sounds like Rogan talked about how none of Bernie's ideas are as "radical" as they are sometimes portrayed and generally seemed to agree with a lot of the things he was saying.

    So regardless of if Joe Rogan is a gateway to the alt right or not, I'm skeptical that this is as bad a look as people in this thread are making that appearance out to be. I could very well be wrong, I've never listened to a Joe Rogan podcast at all, but from what I'm seeing it seems to be giving Bernie popular support and potentially reaching some voters who might have voted third party or not at all. And I am guessing the number of people it might reach and encourage is probably more than the number of people who are going to jump ship from voting for Sanders because of it.

    I'd also like to see more politicians have long form discussions where they have to explain their reasoning and talk about their policies instead of bringing prepared sound clips and only having to talk for thirty seconds about an issue. In an environment where they can have a frank discussion with someone who isn't trying to pry a "look at what this moron said" out of them (looking at you fox news), that seems very beneficial overall.

    Yea thats the Rogan podcast as a general rule. Everyone else who is freaking out about "gateway to alt right" has -i'd almost bet on it- never listened to the joe rogan podcast for any longer amount of time than it took to solidify their already decided opinion. Go figure that during an -on average- 3 hour podcast a lot of context gets lost and put on the internet to continue fanning the flames.


    I listened to it. It was a decent podcast. Bernie did great, my opinion of him is slightly elevated, which is good because it was slightly down after the debates.

    Styrofoam SammichNSDFRand
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Joe Rogan doesn't fit into any political box neatly, because as far as hosts go he's fairly impressionable and he cares far more about having guests on with a huge variety of viewpoints than anything else

    He's definitely got alt-right viewers, and he's had alt-right icons on, but he's also had a 3 hour long video about a former baltimore cop talking about how they deliberately target and bust up young black men (seriously the interview with michael a wood if you want to have .... honestly every suspicion about bad cops confirmed)

    Did Bernie say anything pro alt-right while on the show?

    override367 on
    Julius
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Joe Rogan doesn't fit into any political box neatly, because as far as hosts go he's fairly impressionable and he cares far more about having guests on with a huge variety of viewpoints than anything else

    He's definitely got alt-right viewers, but I think some people need to take a step back and realize that most people don't contextualize all their actions through politics and most of Rogans listeners probably don't vote "because both sides are the same maaaan"

    If Sanders can get a few pot smokers to vote for him (and then hopefully the Democratic candidate if he loses) so much the better

    That's the whole problem (and why he's been identified as a gateway to the alt-right) - he happily brings on intellectual dark web members as guests, mainstreaming them.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    PreacherNo-QuarterAstaerethshrykeThawmusElldrenLabelDarkewolfeAistan
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Joe Rogan doesn't fit into any political box neatly, because as far as hosts go he's fairly impressionable and he cares far more about having guests on with a huge variety of viewpoints than anything else

    He's definitely got alt-right viewers, but I think some people need to take a step back and realize that most people don't contextualize all their actions through politics and most of Rogans listeners probably don't vote "because both sides are the same maaaan"

    If Sanders can get a few pot smokers to vote for him (and then hopefully the Democratic candidate if he loses) so much the better

    That's the whole problem (and why he's been identified as a gateway to the alt-right) - he happily brings on intellectual dark web members as guests, mainstreaming them.

    Okay... and? Does he endorse them? It's been a while since I listened to Rogan and I seem to remember him kind of shitting all over Jordan Peterson. I think alt-righters watch Rogan because his incredibly pro-drugs stance has huge overlap with the libertarian and alt-right young male demographic. I don't think he's popular because he is alt-right

    Is it a good tactic to cross off everyone who's ever talked to someone on the alt-right? That kind of limits us to just left-wing media sources doesn't it?

    override367 on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    PreacherjmcdonaldFencingsaxsanstodoAistan
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    TryCatcherNSDFRandStabbity StyleDee Kae
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    That's a fair viewpoint and one of the reasons I don't spare any time to listen to Rogan anymore

    I don't see how that means everyone else Rogan has ever interviewed is now automatically also enabling the alt-right

    edit: one of my first google results for peterson and rogan was "JOE ROGAN CALMLY OBLITERATES JORDAN PETERSON" so I think my recollections may be accurate

    override367 on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Joe Rogan doesn't fit into any political box neatly, because as far as hosts go he's fairly impressionable and he cares far more about having guests on with a huge variety of viewpoints than anything else

    He's definitely got alt-right viewers, but I think some people need to take a step back and realize that most people don't contextualize all their actions through politics and most of Rogans listeners probably don't vote "because both sides are the same maaaan"

    If Sanders can get a few pot smokers to vote for him (and then hopefully the Democratic candidate if he loses) so much the better

    That's the whole problem (and why he's been identified as a gateway to the alt-right) - he happily brings on intellectual dark web members as guests, mainstreaming them.

    Okay... and? Does he endorse them? It's been a while since I listened to Rogan and I seem to remember him kind of shitting all over Jordan Peterson. I think alt-righters watch Rogan because his incredibly pro-drugs stance has huge overlap with the libertarian and alt-right young male demographic. I don't think he's popular because he is alt-right

    Is it a good tactic to cross off everyone who's ever talked to someone on the alt-right? That kind of limits us to just left-wing media sources doesn't it?

    Yes he does. That's the problem. He advocates reverse racism rhetoric. He entertains 9/11 truther theories. He 'just asks questions' entertaining every alt-right theory and has hosted every major alt-right figure.

    This isn't that hard.

    Here he is on his saying black people are monkeys.



    He doesn't get a bunch of Nazis on his show because they have some new movie out.

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    No-QuarterAngelHedgieCptKemzikshrykeThawmusJuliusElldrenDarkewolfeFANTOMAS
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Bigots are like stray cats, they aren't going to keep coming around if they aren't being fed.

    AngelHedgieCptKemzikjmcdonaldSleepFencingsaxThawmusKristmas KthulhuElldrenLabelDarkewolfe
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 8
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    Would Sanders not have had those same numbers had he gone on Rogan's show and called him out on his bullshit?

    edit- If Bernie had gone on there and said "Hey Joe, before we begin let's have a chat about the alt-right and Seth Rich, and why you keep playing footsie with these people" we would be having a very different discussion right now.

    No-Quarter on
    PreacherThawmusElldren
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    That's a fair viewpoint and one of the reasons I don't spare any time to listen to Rogan anymore

    I don't see how that means everyone else Rogan has ever interviewed is now automatically also enabling the alt-right

    edit: one of my first google results for peterson and rogan was "JOE ROGAN CALMLY OBLITERATES JORDAN PETERSON" so I think my recollections may be accurate

    I've never taken this position, but it would stand to reason that if Rogan enables the alt-right by having them on his show, and if having credible guests on his show enables Rogan, therefore.....

  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    Would Sanders not have had those same numbers had he gone on Rogan's show and called him out on his bullshit?

    edit- If Bernie had gone on there and said "Hey Joe, before we begin let's have a chat about the alt-right and Seth Rich, and why you keep playing footsie with these people" we would be having a very different discussion right now.

    Id rather he spend the time talking about health care and taxes, instead of some quixotic haranguing. Seems more productive.

    override367Julius
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    And as a direct result, so did Joe Rogan, and some portion of those new viewers - since there must be new viewers, since the veiwership for this episode was so high - are now gonna decide maybe they like this Joe Rogan guy and go on to watch the interviews where he mainstreams the aforementioned, too.

    More importantly, now every Joe Rogan fan who starts spouting alt-right conspiracy theories and gets told that Rogan's show is brain poison that mainstreams extremist neonazi bullshit has a ready-made defense lined up: "He can't be peddling baby's first alt-right screed. He had Bernie on his show! Would an alt-right personality have done that? He's just not taking sides, man, he's just asking questions and you don't like it because he doesn't ascribe to your limited us-or-them mindset. He knows that both sides are bad and the real truth is somewhere else. I mean, have you heard about this stuff with Seth Rich? Both sides do bad things, man. Rogan interviews people you don't hear in the mainstream, and they've got some pretty interesting stuff to say. Lemme show you his Milo Yiannopoulos interview..."
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    Would Sanders not have had those same numbers had he gone on Rogan's show and called him out on his bullshit?

    edit- If Bernie had gone on there and said "Hey Joe, before we begin let's have a chat about the alt-right and Seth Rich, and why you keep playing footsie with these people" we would be having a very different discussion right now.

    Id rather he spend the time talking about health care and taxes, instead of some quixotic haranguing. Seems more productive.

    "Unproductive quixotic haranguing" is like 90% of how Bernie built his brand in the first place. If the objective was to campaign, he probably could've gotten a lot of mileage out of continuing that strategy here.

    PreacherjmcdonaldNo-QuarterFencingsaxshrykeThawmusDarkewolfeFANTOMASAistan
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    Abbalah wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    And as a direct result, so did Joe Rogan, and some portion of those new viewers - since there must be new viewers, since the veiwership for this episode was so high - are now gonna decide maybe they like this Joe Rogan guy and go on to watch the interviews where he mainstreams the aforementioned, too.

    More importantly, now every Joe Rogan fan who starts spouting alt-right conspiracy theories and gets told that Rogan's show is brain poison that mainstreams extremist neonazi bullshit has a ready-made defense lined up: "He can't be peddling baby's first alt-right screed. He had Bernie on his show! Would an alt-right personality have done that? He's just not taking sides, man, he's just asking questions and you don't like it because he doesn't ascribe to your limited us-or-them mindset. He knows that both sides are bad and the real truth is somewhere else. I mean, have you heard about this stuff with Seth Rich? Both sides do bad things, man. Rogan interviews people you don't hear in the mainstream, and they've got some pretty interesting stuff to say. Lemme show you his Milo Yiannopoulos interview..."
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Why would I devote three hours of listening time to a guy that has people like Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, Adam Carrola, and Candace Owens on?

    Honest question.

    Like, if Rogan has decent guests on and decent discussions at times, that's a damn shame, because I'm still not really interested in hearing from someone that gives a platform to people like the smear merchants above.

    Then dont listen to him, but Sanders got 3 million views in like a day on YouTube alone for this. Any candidate who passes up a friendly venue to spread their message to that large an audience is an idiot.

    Would Sanders not have had those same numbers had he gone on Rogan's show and called him out on his bullshit?

    edit- If Bernie had gone on there and said "Hey Joe, before we begin let's have a chat about the alt-right and Seth Rich, and why you keep playing footsie with these people" we would be having a very different discussion right now.

    Id rather he spend the time talking about health care and taxes, instead of some quixotic haranguing. Seems more productive.

    "Unproductive quixotic haranguing" is like 90% of how Bernie built his brand in the first place. If the objective was to campaign, he probably could've gotten a lot of mileage out of continuing that strategy here.

    It seems like you just don't like Sanders tbh. Which like fine whatever but yeah

    Either way arguing against someone youve created doesnt seem productive.

    Styrofoam Sammich on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    I can agree Sanders probably shouldn't give Rogan the views, then again Rogan has a lot of young people with no real political ideology that watch his shit so maybe its good we get a message to them, alt-right gateway and all that

    I'm on the fence, strategically for Sanders it probably makes sense, its not going to make anyone hate him who didn't already hate him

    override367 on
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    I can agree Sanders probably shouldn't give Rogan the views, then again Rogan has a lot of young people with no real political ideology that watch his shit so maybe its good we get a message to them, alt-right gateway and all that

    I'm on the fence, strategically for Sanders it probably makes sense, its not going to make anyone hate him who didn't already hate him

    That's the point, though. Those people are extremely vulnerable to the sort of both-sidesism Rogan is fond of, and one interview isn't gonna change that. Whatever effect a left-wing politician has in getting a message across by appearing on Rogan's show is going to be completely drowned in the effect of all the far-right and conspiracy theorist people he has on in subsequent episodes, and it's going to specifically inoculate his audience against the idea that they shouldn't be taking the people who appear on Rogan's show seriously, because they get to go 'no it's not a parade of alt-right demogogues, he listens to everybody! And man some of them have some really interesting stuff to say' but once they've established that Rogan's guests can be taken seriously because they come from all parts of the political spectrum that 'interesting stuff' that catches their attention is almost never gonna be from that one interview he had with Bernie that one time, and is mostly going to be from the alt-right pipeline who are 'just asking questions' and leading people down the conspiracy theory rabbit holes that eventually empty out on 8chan and r/theredpill.

    AngelHedgieNo-Quarter
Sign In or Register to comment.