Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hey Job thread - question about references.

Im applying somewhere that wants a list of references. My question - do I put what the person was doing with me at the time, or do I put what the current position they have is now?

I ask because one woman I'm using has left the field entirely to become a fashion writer. She's great at it, but that has zero to do with the job I'm applying for - when I worked with her she was the producer and stage manager for a show we were on.

So do I just put:

XXXXXXXX
    Producer/Stage Manager at XXX
    Phone
    EMail

or do I format it with her current job and just put like "Freelance writer"

Or does none of this really matter and Im overthinking it

I'd put the job that they had when you worked with them. It's mostly assumed that it's a past tense relationship, but if you want to make it clear you can include the dates you worked with them: "Perdita Whittering-Smythe, Producer and Stage Manager 2013-16"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hey Job thread - question about references.

Im applying somewhere that wants a list of references. My question - do I put what the person was doing with me at the time, or do I put what the current position they have is now?

I ask because one woman I'm using has left the field entirely to become a fashion writer. She's great at it, but that has zero to do with the job I'm applying for - when I worked with her she was the producer and stage manager for a show we were on.

So do I just put:

XXXXXXXX
    Producer/Stage Manager at XXX
    Phone
    EMail

or do I format it with her current job and just put like "Freelance writer"

Or does none of this really matter and Im overthinking it

I'd put the job that they had when you worked with them. It's mostly assumed that it's a past tense relationship, but if you want to make it clear you can include the dates you worked with them: "Perdita Whittering-Smythe, Producer and Stage Manager 2013-16"

Seconded. Since it's a job reference, what's important is what your relationship to that person was at the job you've listed.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks all.

Fingers crossed - it's a job that is probably a step down in pay, but it's doing video at a university I could walk to. I would absolutely take a pay cut to be able to walk to work and take some classes.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    @QuantumTurk got my jab at my job two weeks ago, now. I knew I'd get placebo'd into feeling crummy so I wanted to get it out of the way well ahead of the vacation I just took.

Also finally back in the office because I caught an annoying cold on the way back :rotate:

To compensate for the cold, here is an evening grosbeak, which is a type of finch, they are glad you got your flu shot
    it2djwsoyb1f.png

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    @QuantumTurk got mine last week. Snagged it at a pop up flu jab stand while at the kids' doctors appointment. Left my arm hurting a fair amount more then it normally does

Here are a couple of jays (I think they are jays) having a tussle, much like your immune system had a fight with that shot. Should be a better fighter now though.
    9ubpd2cct1j8.png

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well the bootcamp offered me a spot in this or their next cohort. it's too short notice to set up income share (the opay $0 upfront, until you get a job option) to be in this one starting next week because they took 2 weeks to get back to me in the first place. Their other options are all upfront or loans which is kind of an absurd ask for you know, normal people?

The next one starts in january where I could set up the income share but I don't think i can be unemployed till march+job search time after.

I have... no idea... what to do

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I was away from work the day they did free flu shots, I think I can get a $10 one at Wal-Greens though, I should probably get it

Free flu shot events are pretty common. Not sure where you'd find out where/when they occur, but it could save you a few bucks.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm waiting for the flu clinic at the health centre to open up, that's the fastest way to get a jab
    but I guess I could make an appointment, maybe then I'll remember to ask about my brand new allergy to Cold.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Now offering traditional flu shot finches and got my jab Jays, please, DO @ me when you get yours. Also opening up for flu season/vaccination questions, feel free to DM me and let me know if it's ok to share your question.
    (Qualifications, less than a month from finishing this damn PhD in immunology, largely worked on a project aimed at a new type of flu vaccine, but till that future comes, get the one we have now! I'm getting mine!)

@QuantumTurk I got mine! Which means I'm due to catch the flu aaaaany day now. I have historically always gotten the flu within about 2 weeks of getting a flu shot. I'm guessing my immune system just doesn't understand what its supposed to do with it? I have no idea.

Actually yeah hell yeah go ahead and share that shit cuz it's got me curious if it's a thing or just confirmation bias.

Add me to the list of the jabbed.. Got mine last Friday. Just some soreness in that arm the next day but otherwise fine.

Here is a very rude finch for you, feathers all over the place
    nqlcdgldzcpi.png

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Made an appointment to get a flu shot at my health clinic place but it's for two weeks from now. Wonder if I could get one sooner anywhere else.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Secret bird thread: I miss being able to have bird feeders and lots of birds in a yard. Apartment living sucks. I briefly considered taking the screen off one of my fourth floor windows to attach a feeder to the outside, but figured I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fall off. :sad:

The district hired a new tech to cover a couple of schools, and he's here shadowing me for the day, since my school has basically all the tech he could possibly run into. This also means that I get an extra hand to help with inventory. You know, for training purpose :rotate:

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My insurance actually makes it rather difficult to get the flu shot. You have to see a doctor. I guess I could go to one of their designated clinics that are nowhere near where I live, and have a very difficult to navigate appointment system with almost no convenient times available... but you can't just go to a pharmacy.
    I usually go to the free one they give at my job during HR's benefits fair. Since open enrollment in October, I was hoping to hear something about it soon...

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I had a really great review and got a 7% raise so obviously I was just too much in my own head the other day and now I feel bad about what I said haha

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    See, I would tell you that catastrophizing like that didn't help you feel any better, but I was doing the exact same thing last week before my review, so

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Janson wrote: »
    I had a really great review and got a 7% raise so obviously I was just too much in my own head the other day and now I feel bad about what I said haha

Congrats on the raise!!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Fucking get in! Smashed it mate

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Its still poop that they delayed the review for so long. I think its safe to say most people would have been in your headspace under similar circumstances.

Congrats on the raise though!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @NightDragon thank you! I definitely do need to remind myself of that. It’s funny you use gps as an example because the other day I was driving a familiar route without gps and I started to second-guess myself and thought I had missed my exit, but I pressed on anyway and it turned out I hadn’t missed it after all!

Also I booked myself in for a flu shot at Walgreens for tomorrow morning!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Co Worker put in her notice, and there was a card going around for people to sign on her last day. Usual "Good luck! We'll miss you!" messages.

Supervisor just signed her initials. Not even her full name. And she's def put the bare min on effort in other sort of cards.

I think it's because the co worker was given tons of opportunities every time she messed up, so the supervisor is probably mad about that.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    @NightDragon thank you! I definitely do need to remind myself of that. It’s funny you use gps as an example because the other day I was driving a familiar route without gps and I started to second-guess myself and thought I had missed my exit, but I pressed on anyway and it turned out I hadn’t missed it after all!

Also I booked myself in for a flu shot at Walgreens for tomorrow morning!

Is your raise back-dated at all?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I ordered some soldering supplies from an online place since there is no place local anymore. They emailed me to say they might have accidentally switched my order with someone else. The stuff I bought was $20. They sent me a $800 soldering station. They nicely asked if I'd be willing to send it back. I'm an honest person so sure why not. They sent me a packing slip and I'll drop it at the fedex on the way home. They are sending the right thing and reimbursed my own shipping costs from the original order.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Co Worker put in her notice, and there was a card going around for people to sign on her last day. Usual "Good luck! We'll miss you!" messages.

Supervisor just signed her initials. Not even her full name. And she's def put the bare min on effort in other sort of cards.

I think it's because the co worker was given tons of opportunities every time she messed up, so the supervisor is probably mad about that.

unyscee2jtn7.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I will preface this by saying at this point I don't feel any reason to obfuscate details because it's pretty clear where things are going.

But first, some background. I work for a little company called IBM. I also was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder about a year ago. I've suffered from OCD for my whole life, but only recently got a proper diagnosis. I was even misdiagnosed for several years. Furthermore, even more recently (within the last 3 months),I finally started getting the professional mental health assistance I needed, as well as the proper prescriptions for OCD. Having health insurance through my job made all that possible.

But, as you can imagine, living with OCD is incredibly difficult. It's been a long time since I've been able to hold down a job for more than a year, and some days I just can't leave my apartment. My symptoms are getting worse over time, which is not unexpected. OCD has resulted in me really struggling at my current job. To the point where my performance and attendance have taken a dive recently. My boss and I just talked about this issue for half an hour.

Turns out I'm what is called a "Long Term Supplemental" employee. This means I don't get any sort of medical leave beyond normal sick days, nor can I transfer to another position within IBM. (I'd have to apply for another position there as if I didn't work there.) Furthermore, my boss admits IBM sees L.T.S. employees like me as semi-disposable and on probation of a sort for the lengths of our contracts. Fun fact: my contract is three years. Anyway my boss says HR is very likely to tell him to fire me. He gave me tomorrow off, at least.

If I'm fired I will not be able to afford my OCD prescriptions, and there is a good chance I won't be able to afford my already pretty affordable therapy.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I will preface this by saying at this point I don't feel any reason to obfuscate details because it's pretty clear where things are going.

But first, some background. I work for a little company called IBM. I also was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder about a year ago. I've suffered from OCD for my whole life, but only recently got a proper diagnosis. I was even misdiagnosed for several years. Furthermore, even more recently (within the last 3 months),I finally started getting the professional mental health assistance I needed, as well as the proper prescriptions for OCD. Having health insurance through my job made all that possible.

But, as you can imagine, living with OCD is incredibly difficult. It's been a long time since I've been able to hold down a job for more than a year, and some days I just can't leave my apartment. My symptoms are getting worse over time, which is not unexpected. OCD has resulted in me really struggling at my current job. To the point where my performance and intendant's have taken a dive recently. My boss and I just talked about this issue for half an hour.

Turns out I'm what is called a "Long Term Supplemental" employee. This means I don't get any sort of medical leave beyond normal sick days, nor can I transfer to another position within IBM. (I'd have to apply for another position there as if I didn't work there.) Furthermore, my boss admits IBM sees L.T.S. employees like me as semi-disposable and on probation of a sort for the lengths of our contracts. Fun fact: my contract is three years. Anyway my boss says HR is very likely to tell him to fire me. He gave me tomorrow off, at least.

If I'm fired I will not be able to afford my OCD prescriptions, and there is a good chance I won't be able to afford my already pretty affordable therapy.

Well that's some fucking bullshit.

Edit: Also seems illegal, even for the US?

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    I mean I'm not sure anyting is illegal here. I can certainly look into what LTS employees are granted as far as medical leave legally, but just to be clear my boss didn't know I have OCD until today. To be honest I've been pretty ashamed about it and haven't told hardly anyone. It's resulted in me using up all of my sick days and, even when I had been working lately, my performance is definitely down.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

But, as you can imagine, living with OCD is incredibly difficult. It's been a long time since I've been able to hold down a job for more than a year, and some days I just can't leave my apartment. My symptoms are getting worse over time, which is not unexpected. OCD has resulted in me really struggling at my current job. To the point where my performance and intendant's have taken a dive recently. My boss and I just talked about this issue for half an hour.

Well that's some fucking bullshit.

Edit: Also seems illegal, even for the US?

The legality kind of hinges on whether your employer is giving the employee "reasonable accommodation". Make sure you've requested that, in writing. It can mean a lot of different things, but what it comes down to is that the employer has to make an effort to enable you to do your job, with your condition, even if that means changing the way they normally handle the job. Alternate work schedules, different office environments, work from home, etc. are all examples of reasonable accommodation.

An employer in the US doesn't have to keep employing someone if they're objectively incapable of continuing to do the job while being provided reasonable accommodation, but they can't legally fire you based on your condition without demonstrating that that is in fact the case.

Now they may be capable of additional shenanigans based on the "special" job classification you've been assigned, but at this stage I really don't think it could hurt to make a request for accommodations.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Maybe now you can buy Hilda that diamond necklace she wants.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Though it also doesn't entirely sound like your boss is being a tool about this (though I'm having a hard time determining tone via text). If they're giving you warning that HR might come looking for you via them I'd say you miiiiiiiiight have an advocate? Maybe?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    @Curly_Brace , thinking about this more, you might want to call the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at 1-800-669-4000. They'll be able to tell you whether you have grounds for a complaint. If I'm reading your narrative right, and it did in fact go like this:

Boss: "So, let's talk about your performance. It's been poor lately."

Curly_Brace: "Yeah, I've been having trouble because of a clinically diagnosed mental health condition."

Boss: "I didn't know that. Yeah, sorry, I'll probably have to fire you."

... then Boss might have really seriously shot himself in the foot, to the degree that I imagine any company HR or counsel that was privy to the conversation would be extremely uncomfortable with how he is handling the situation. The next order from his manager should be for him to bend-the-fuck-over-backwards to afford you accommodation.

Again, this is all with the caveat that I don't know how the company may have diminished your rights by way of your job classification, but bottom line is even contractors can't be discriminated against based on a disability.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Maybe now you can buy Hilda that diamond necklace she wants.

Moriveth now you can blame Pinfeldorf for when you ask for too much bling.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my team got a new manager a few weeks ago and it was fine until she decided out of nowhere that I need to be in the office for four days a week instead of zero

I categorically refuse to spend three hours on the road, four days a week

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I got yelled at on the weekend for not knowing "Sweet Caroline"
    Apparently that actually carries the death penalty in Massachusetts.
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    BAH BAH BAAHHH

Guess what song just came up on spotify. Go ahead, guess!

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    @Curly_Brace , thinking about this more, you might want to call the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at 1-800-669-4000. They'll be able to tell you whether you have grounds for a complaint. If I'm reading your narrative right, and it did in fact go like this:

Boss: "So, let's talk about your performance. It's been poor lately."

Curly_Brace: "Yeah, I've been having trouble because of a clinically diagnosed mental health condition."

Boss: "I didn't know that. Yeah, sorry, I'll probably have to fire you."

... then Boss might have really seriously shot himself in the foot, to the degree that I imagine any company HR or counsel that was privy to the conversation would be extremely uncomfortable with how he is handling the situation. The next order from his manager should be for him to bend-the-fuck-over-backwards to afford you accommodation.

Again, this is all with the caveat that I don't know how the company may have diminished your rights by way of your job classification, but bottom line is even contractors can't be discriminated against based on a disability.

Also, I'd argue you're covered under FMLA assuming you've worked for 12 months full time prior.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    chromdom wrote: »
    BAH BAH BAAHHH

Mandy.

tynic on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    BAH BAH BAAHHH

Mandy.

Well fuck, how'd you guess?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    my team got a new manager a few weeks ago and it was fine until she decided out of nowhere that I need to be in the office for four days a week instead of zero

fuuuuck

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

They flirted with pulling this on me (sorta), passive aggressively, so I passive aggressively told them no.

But if they came out and asked me to go to the other office 5 days a week, which is 2 hours away, rather than the 20-30 minute commute I currently do 3 days a week, I will flat out refuse.

Wait you didn’t happen to quit today, did you? In NYC?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    no

I'm gonna go in tomorrow (that was planned, as part of another very stupid but barely tenable policy), and I'm gonna send an email to my team's PM and tell her that I'm not doing this

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think the decision to fire me has already been made unofficially, and my day off is when they'll get their ducks in a row and fire me officially. So not sure if I have time to submit a petition. I'll certainly TRY though.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I usually get my flu shot at Walgreens, in part because the staff there gets really good at it; but I had a doctor's appointment for something else today, so I got jabbed while I was there. I used to be really good at dissociating from my arm and sitting stone still during a shot, but sometime in the past few years I started shaking as soon as I feel the prick. My arm stays relaxed, but the shakes come from my core and there's nothing I can do about them.

No bruising in spite of that, though!