As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Armor 2.0: Stats All, Folks! Shadowkeep Drops Oct. 1

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The grenade launcher triumph for mountaintop.

Did I misunderstand the patch change? It says 1x for quickplay 2x for IB 3x for Comp.

Is that only for kills alone?

Because I got a calculated trajectory medal in IB (not really, it doesn't show it, but it still counts) and it only increased the count by one.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    (D2) Zavala always does this thing where he doesn't care for or want to listen to the token NPC of a given expansion has to say about the latest looming threat over the galaxy/our sick above ground pool.

Here's a fun madlib, just insert any character and associated destination in here and it'll sound right coming from Zavala:

"______'s attitude and doctrine are dangerous. All that time spent on _______ probably changed them into something.... Different. Regardless, when humanity needed them the most, they disappeared and didn't even leave a note on the fridge. That's a level 10 No-No in the big book of Zavala's No-No's. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be hiding behind a door for when you finally do disobey me and help ______. See you in 20 minutes, guardian."

He did that for Warmind and in Forsaken he was basically like "I'm not sure I want us getting involved in what is going on in the Reef". He's not actually had any meaningful dialogue outside that I think.

In general you can really tell they try to bring in the minimum number of voice actors they can for any new content drop. Especially the bigger names playing the bigger characters, mostly carried over from D1.

I do mostly agree though that as the default leader guy it's basically his job to be the Destiny's Worf.

shryke on
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    But you see how the dip in quality might lead someone to not engage with the supplemental materials, right? Like I didn't engage much with D1 lore until it was made easily readable online, and even then it was only on the recommendation of fellow clanmates. I'm sure there's plenty of people like me who had a decent interest in the plot threads D1 was setting up, especially starting with TTK. And those same people probably also experienced whiplash in quality from the last 2 years of D1, going into the first year of D2. CoO nearly broke me as a Destiny fan, and then Warmind hit, which wasn't as bad but still was far from righting the ship in terms of quality.

So the whole conversation spun out of not knowing the context for Zavala hanging out being a door. If it was important to know, then they should have told us, and not in the optional, side material they provide. If that plot detail is crucial to making that moment not seem hammy and dumb, they should have included that context! Some of the best moments in Destiny story in game are when they embrace the lore (like Dreaming City stuff and Forsaken's ending).

I get it. And sure the cutscene (and most of warmind rushed story) was dopey. It's a funny little "haha way to go bungo". But when the topic of Zavala's characterization is what you are talking about it's important to take the extra stuff into account. It changes it from "overbearing dad" to "guy who knows some really horrible shit and is taking all of that knowledge onto himself to do what he *thinks* is best to protect everyone (all while probably suffering from that post Red War PTSD). Motivations matter even if they are in sub par narrative fiction.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Fair. But I do think that's a fair assessment of what the games themselves are showing us. Like you said, most folks ignore the Grimoire, so that character building is lost on most. I still think if that stuff is crucial to understanding the story and motivations of the players involved, it should be in the game... And not a flavor text. Like it should be a cutscene.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    (D2) Zavala always does this thing where he doesn't care for or want to listen to the token NPC of a given expansion has to say about the latest looming threat over the galaxy/our sick above ground pool.

Here's a fun madlib, just insert any character and associated destination in here and it'll sound right coming from Zavala:

"______'s attitude and doctrine are dangerous. All that time spent on _______ probably changed them into something.... Different. Regardless, when humanity needed them the most, they disappeared and didn't even leave a note on the fridge. That's a level 10 No-No in the big book of Zavala's No-No's. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be hiding behind a door for when you finally do disobey me and help ______. See you in 20 minutes, guardian."

He did that for Warmind and in Forsaken he was basically like "I'm not sure I want us getting involved in what is going on in the Reef". He's not actually had any meaningful dialogue outside that I think.

In general you can really tell they try to bring in the minimum number of voice actors they can for any new content drop. Especially the bigger names playing the bigger characters, mostly carried over from D1.

I do mostly agree though that as the default leader guy it's basically his job to be the Destiny's Worf.

Forsaken Zavala definitely felt super conflicted. He wanted Cayde avenged but here he is just having been reminded that Guardians are only so strong. That avenging Cayde might trigger a war feels pretty far fetched since Uldren and the Barons don't really have a power base but that I write off to heroic storytelling mileu. They were personally powerful and therefore an issue. Really a whole shitload of Destiny worldbuilding doesn't make a lot of sense regarding population numbers but ssssshhhhh.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    And then there were 2

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Forsaken Zavala definitely felt super conflicted. He wanted Cayde avenged but here he is just having been reminded that Guardians are only so strong. That avenging Cayde might trigger a war feels pretty far fetched since Uldren and the Barons don't really have a power base but that I write off to heroic storytelling mileu. They were personally powerful and therefore an issue. Really a whole shitload of Destiny worldbuilding doesn't make a lot of sense regarding population numbers but ssssshhhhh.

It's worse than that. Zavala is afraid of starting conflict with people who are already killing Guardians and whose power is only gaining. This would be the equivalent of not acting when the House of Wolves moved to consolidate power with the Fallen Houses, only MUCH WORSE because the Scorn are dramatically stronger than the Fallen are. When it comes to political posturing, allowing your leader to be assassinated and having NO response is literally the weakest thing you could possibly do. He's been a bad leader for quite a while now. And it seems like Bungie is positioning him that way on purpose.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Zavala always struck me as having his head in the sand. We're gonna sit under the traveller and guard humanity and ooooooh fuck they brought the fight to us and wow we are so fucked wished we had maybe done something about them before now. That line about us not being an army and being guardians is pretty short sighted. Neville 'Zavala' Chamberlain hopin' space hitler will be satisfied with the moon.

Nosf on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    how do you balance conservative chief of space police who wants to do thing by the book with player character who is required to defeat every antagonist without making the chief look like an idiot

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    how do you balance conservative chief of space police who wants to do thing by the book with player character who is required to defeat every antagonist without making the chief look like an idiot

Have him give you leeway because you’ve proven yourself?

Coulda started off butting heads and even with our guardian making a mess of things early on and Zavala being right

But then as we kept succeeding and he kept being proved wrong he’d start giving us a longer leash to play outside his rules

Instead he’s just the worst and incompetent

616610-1.png
  • Options

It's worse than that. Zavala is afraid of starting conflict with people who are already killing Guardians and whose power is only gaining. This would be the equivalent of not acting when the House of Wolves moved to consolidate power with the Fallen Houses, only MUCH WORSE because the Scorn are dramatically stronger than the Fallen are. When it comes to political posturing, allowing your leader to be assassinated and having NO response is literally the weakest thing you could possibly do. He's been a bad leader for quite a while now. And it seems like Bungie is positioning him that way on purpose.

Yeah, I don't really see the problem with it. They are taking his character in an interesting direction. The Red War has made him overly concerned with losing what little they have left. I think people calling him terrible is kinda over the top though.

And Ikora has her own issues. The Stolen Intelligence lore talks about the Vanguard struggling to figure out their use and whether they can be effective or even have a use anymore. Ikora directly compares them to the issues Mara Sov has with her own people's faith in her and I don't think anyone would believe the Awoken are doing well right now. And to boot the Speaker's position is still empty. Everything seems to point strongly to the "good guys" in this the overall Destiny narrative slowly falling apart. Vanilla D2 campaign ends on a pretty triumphant note but everything in Y2 has had a serious bad shit is on the horizon, lines are being crossed and things are falling apart vibe.

I don't know if they intend to actually do anything with it but given their new direction for Y3 maybe they've finally given themselves the tools to tell these kind of stories within Destiny.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Zavala always struck me as having his head in the sand. We're gonna sit under the traveller and guard humanity and ooooooh fuck they brought the fight to us and wow we are so fucked wished we had maybe done something about them before now. That line about us not being an army and being guardians is pretty short sighted. Neville 'Zavala' Chamberlain hopin' space hitler will be satisfied with the moon.

I mean, he's right that Guardians aren't an army. Guardians are not organized that way and the Vanguard's leadership position is more like a mentor then a commander.

And last time they decided to all get together and assault the moon it led to the greatest defeat in Guardian history.

• Options

I mean, he's right that Guardians aren't an army. Guardians are not organized that way and the Vanguard's leadership position is more like a mentor then a commander.

And last time they decided to all get together and assault the moon it led to the greatest defeat in Guardian history.

Guardians are the actualization of the US Army marketing concept "Army of One". They're actually much stronger than every other "actual" army on the field, while not literally being unstoppable.

• Options

Guardians are the actualization of the US Army marketing concept "Army of One". They're actually much stronger than every other "actual" army on the field, while not literally being unstoppable.

I mean, in the sense that they can kill a lot of people, sure. But they are still not an army and lack organizational structure or a real command hierarchy.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Guardians can pop up three miles from your command center, kill everything between them and there, wipe out any ranking staff in the command center, and then safely extract. What they can't do is deploy in large enough numbers to hold territory long-term, or to inflict large enough casualties to deplete your ability to simply reinforce whatever was lost. They're a fucking nightmare to have to strategize against and really good at just being too annoying to fight to be worth trying to wipe out, but they're not good at actually fighting a war.

• Options
    DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Guardians can pop up three miles from your command center, kill everything between them and there, wipe out any ranking staff in the command center, and then safely extract. What they can't do is deploy in large enough numbers to hold territory long-term, or to inflict large enough casualties to deplete your ability to simply reinforce whatever was lost. They're a fucking nightmare to have to strategize against and really good at just being too annoying to fight to be worth trying to wipe out, but they're not good at actually fighting a war.

This explains the "war" for the Dreaming City.

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

And they recharge a small amount of grenade and melee energy on unassisted kills.

• Options
    A 4 Narrative preview:
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48152

Looks like the final one.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

I mean, in the sense that they can kill a lot of people, sure. But they are still not an army and lack organizational structure or a real command hierarchy.

Yeah, try LFGing a raid

Now imagine an army of these people trying to work together

Good luck

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    A 4 Narrative preview:

One of the CMs said it is a five-parter

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options

Yeah, try LFGing a raid

Good luck

Guardians are just high functioning sociopaths

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Vagabond wrote: »

Yeah, try LFGing a raid

Good luck

Guardians are just high functioning sociopaths

There's that great lore entry where Mara Sov expresses disgust with what being resurrected by a Ghost does to people.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    A 4 Narrative preview:

So... on this, they keep putting two spaces after Queen and they also did it with Witch ....

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48163

new twab. not much new - mostly about contest

I wooooonder what the soft cap is

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    God damn it that emblem for first 24 hours completion is one of my favorite vistas from the first game:
    jo13szdbidgd.png

Now I really want it but chances of me getting it are very low

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I totally forgot today was thursday for TWAB. Seems like so much info has been coming out that it isn't as big of a deal; but I know that won't last so...yeah.

Anyway, apparently a bug with jotuun that has existed since it was introduced is being passed around and getting a lot of attention today. I use the thing all the time and had no idea this was a thing, but I guess if you use it point blank so that it damages you too, it does ~5-6x damage. So that's crazy.

Some people are trying to get it more well known in hopes Bungie does something in case it effects world first stuff for Shadowkeep (but no one cared for Crown I guess?), but unless they already know about it and have been working on it, it seems doubtful it can get fixed that time; more likely like Rat King was at one point, just straight up disabled.

Who knows. If what you're fighting can't be point blanked really, which I suppose is most all of Crown to begin with, except maybe the little fatties, you can't take advantage of it. But I suspect, for at least a few days, we will see people using it in menagerie and stuff?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Question, what's up with this on the steam store page for destiny 2?

"Notice: At the request of the publisher, Destiny 2: Shadowkeep is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search."

I see it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1090200/Destiny_2_Shadowkeep/ but not actually in the steam client.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My guess would be that the page you linked is the 'actual' expansion store page, and then the one it links to https://store.steampowered.com/app/1085660/Destiny_2/ will be the "New Light" / "Install Game!" f2p page once that actually kicks off. But they want to sell SK on it now since you can't actually get New Light yet.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I’m legit sad I didn’t upgrade my chalice to get runes/imperials from PvP first thing since I came back

Probably played 100 crucible matches. Could be so set for menagerie farm

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    So I can't recall if this was mentioned in thread, so I'm mentioning it anyway.
    Jotuun right now is…. A bit broken?
    Just a little bit.
    Definitely not something that seems to need a hotfix before Black Garden launch nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tff1852AMyw

I sadly do not have a Jotuun, but it seems like it would make farming Raid shenanigans a bit easier for the time being.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Aren't you on console, Zombie? Presumably those Jotunn shenanigans aren't possible in the realm of capped framerates.

• Options
    I am on Console, so I suppose that saps the motivation to farm Jotuun away. Well, that'll save some time I guess!

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    I am on Console, so I suppose that saps the motivation to farm Jotuun away. Well, that'll save some time I guess!

It shouldn't. Jotunn is still really, really good against just about any thing based on the damage it does and the ammo capacity it has.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Jotunn is probably a 50% drop or something. And since you only have a set number of attempts at it per week, it doesn’t even take that much time to try for it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

It shouldn't. Jotunn is still really, really good against just about any thing based on the damage it does and the ammo capacity it has.

Jotunn is one of the best invading/anti-invading weapons in the game. Moreover, its the most effortless PvP weapon you can get your hands on, for good or ill. You should definitely try to get it, its unique, its fun and it just works.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

Jotunn is probably a 50% drop or something. And since you only have a set number of attempts at it per week, it doesn’t even take that much time to try for it.

I was doing a lot of Bergusia Powerfuls for the Triumph Seal and still had shit luck. Since in PVE I rarely take off Recluse, the impetus has weakened. I will still probably go for it occasionally, but Forges aren't part of my weekly routine without outside drive.

But ok, I get it ya'll. :)

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Especially if there's a solar burn, but even if there isn't, Jotunn's a gat dang delete button. It's immensely satisfying to use.

• Options
    Jotunn is probably the best all-around Gambit weapon. Great for invasion/anti-invasion since it only uses special ammo, but also great for clearing blockers, killing majors and even boss damage. Some weapons (*cough*Truth*cough*) are better at specific things but none are better all around imo.

• Options
    Jotunn is a superior Gambit weapon for sure. For my money, Truth easily outdoes it for invading/anti-invading but Jotunn is excellent for mote collection as well, whereas it's a bit of a waste to use Truth for that.