As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Here's hoping that Demon Hunter Sombra is a hint that Illidan Genji will be an event skin next year.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There's a tiny change in the event. Junkrat actually leaves his perch.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

You sure that's not just a bug? It happened to me a few times last year when he spawned via the Witch.

E:

Apparently sounds are all the way fucked up right now. Play comp at your own peril.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/sound-bug-on-patch-1-41/416154/43?u=moiraprime-1830

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    First game in my new Tracer duds I'm
    -sick
    -deep into a medication with really vicious side effects
    -trying hard to quit smoking, down to 3 so far today after nearly a pack yesterday
    -playing absolutely terribly.

Also,
    -full hold on Route 66 defense
    -PotG for me!

Broke and had a cigarette. Now for round 2...

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    The scorpion suit looks a lot better in the hero gallery than in the video, fwiw.

At least, to me it does. Maybe the lighting is just nicer.

I find that's almost always the case.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    -sick
    -trying hard to quit smoking, down to 3 so far today after nearly a pack yesterday

Also,
    -PotG for me!

hey, good on you for trying to quit and good luck! going from a pack down to 4 is pretty dang good, keep it up!

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

You sure that's not just a bug? It happened to me a few times last year when he spawned via the Witch.

It might be, yeah. I realized he doesn't move once he's down. I'd just never seen it before today, but it happened several times.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    -sick

I'll be honest, I read just this before looking away for a bit and thought you meant that colloquially.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

It might be, yeah. I realized he doesn't move once he's down. I'd just never seen it before today, but it happened several times.

It's happened for me in 2/2 games too, but it definitely happened last year on occasion too. Maybe the bug has just gone from occasional to always. Voice over still talks about how he falls from the balcony though, so...

Also, even on Hard it was generally pretty easy, but it feels even face-rollingly easier this year. To the point where I was fucking around the whole time and still came within a hair's breadth of no-damage victories with nobody dying even with questionable value characters like Tracer and Widow. At least until the Tracer killed herself. I suspect it's because I had a Brig in both my games so far, and her healing has gone way up while all the nerfs to her shield and stun don't mean shit in the mode.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    -sick

Also,
    -PotG for me!

hey, good on you for trying to quit and good luck! going from a pack down to 4 is pretty dang good, keep it up!

Don't you dare believe in me. I'd never make that rookie mistake!
    -sick

I'll be honest, I read just this before looking away for a bit and thought you meant that colloquially.

Well after time with it I like Wisp more than I did at first. She's got the Tim Burton pantaloons, these big heavy chains along the backs of her arms, iron spikes on her shoulders - someone went to great lengths to contain this rowdy little spirit!

...and the guns are bird skulls. So yeah, colloquially too I guess.

But also literally.

(Coughs until vomiting.)

Yeah.

Chance on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Watching harbleu play on Switch, it's janky as hell

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Okay, yeah, Junkenstein is WAAAAAAY the fuck easier this year for whatever reason. Practically sleepwalked on Expert Endless to around bonus wave 6 before finally collapsing a wave or two later. I didn't even have the achievement for finishing regular Expert before this year, and I'm pretty sure that I haven't improved that much.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    New Torb's kit, especially his ult, is a lot better than old Torb's kit for it.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    McCree's ult change also makes Junkenstein much easier. The ramping damage bonus means he can pile up a TON of damage in one shot

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Bonus loot boxes for tank queue are regular boxes not holiday boxes, I'm very disappointed.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I can't play with my left hand ATM but the skins are too good so I'm playing stationary Torb in Junkenstein lol

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Watching harbleu play on Switch, it's janky as hell

So...I preordered this before the whole HK debacle and there was no way to refund it so...well might as well play it. It's fine on handheld. At least I like it a LOT more than Paladins on the Switch. I'm debating if I want to keep gyro tho. It works so so well in other games but I struggle a lot here.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I imagine the Torb and Mercy meta is gonna' be pretty big on Switch.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Yilias wrote: »
    New Torb's kit, especially his ult, is a lot better than old Torb's kit for it.

Torb hasn't changed in any meaningful way since last Halloween. His rework just barely predates it. He already had molten core, new turret, etc last year.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BTW before you buy it the graphics for the Ashe skin are obnoxious
    3XLGjmJ.png

• Options
    It should be an easy fix, at least.

• Options
    Lotsa people complaining about it on the official forums, too. It'll likely get a change, but overall I was kind of shocked, watching the reveal video yesterday, how much good stuff there is. It actually hyped me to turn on the game last night.

Maybe it's just a result of how disappointing summer was with its mere 4 legendaries, but this is pretty awesome. I just feel bad for my brother that D.Va didn't get one of those awesome demonic-lookin' concepts we've seen around.

• Options
    The new skins are pretty great, they really go all out on Halloween. Demon Orisa is straight out of Doom 2016. Though it's a shame it doesn't modify her voice or effects.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bonus loot boxes for tank queue are regular boxes not holiday boxes, I'm very disappointed.

Stupid question: I just discovered the queue system way after everyone else.

The rewards are for winning said match-made game? Or just finishing it even if you lose?

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

The rewards are for winning said match-made game? Or just finishing it even if you lose?

You just gotta' pick Tank - win or lose.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

You just gotta' pick Tank - win or lose.

Oh, OK. I can do that. I was actually shocked to find that I own my first queue match (tank--as you said--so I picked Orisa in Greece somehow cheesed my way into a POTG), which was also my first PVP match in a couple months.

But I main Mercy. If filling out the support queue just gets me gold (as oppose to a gacha box that is probably, let's be honest, full of crap I don't want), and I don't want to win, sure, I'm on board with that.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    The way it works is that if a given role is in demand right now, you can get one loot box per day playing it, and after that 25 credits per game. That applies to tank 99% of the time. Sometimes it also applies to support, but not usually. I was surprised to learn that tanks are actually harder to find than supports. That shows they've done an impressive job of making fun support heroes, but it doesn't speak well to most people's experience of playing tank.

Zek on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Playing the new patch the changes are minor but they are pretty noticable.

Like one thing is that between the Chain Hook piercing his black hole ability and the barrier cooldown Sigma vs Hog is a lot more even now. Would probably say its even in Hog's favor a bit.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    My second queue was actually for support (for 25G) and I thought about taking it...but then I thought, "Eh, I won a match, which probably means I'll lose the next four, and it's late and I want to try out the new update for Fortnite." So I went back to grinding the ol' Halloween event.

• Options
    They really did a lot of little things to curb the barrier meta. Nerfs to the uptime of Sigma/Orisa shields, buffs to the alternative tanks, and a buff to Roadhog's shield break. It should make a noticeable difference.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Didn't even know they changed any heroes this time around, thought it was just Halloween. Read through the patch notes... other than a slight nerf to Orisa (the only tank I know how to play) and messing slightly with Sombra teleports (which I honestly forget about half the time anyway), they didn't really change anyone I actually play. Which makes sense: I played four Mei games last night and didn't notice any differences...

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    They really did a lot of little things to curb the barrier meta. Nerfs to the uptime of Sigma/Orisa shields, buffs to the alternative tanks, and a buff to Roadhog's shield break. It should make a noticeable difference.

It might make some difference at lower levels, but according to folks who have been scrimming on PTR to prepare for the world cup, it's still 99% Sigma/Orisa. So I'd expect the top-end meta to follow the same trend, unfortunately. More work still needs to be done.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Eh. I don't know.

Like top-end players always end up playing just one team and mirroring each other, I can't think of a time where OWL has ever had a diverse meta and I don't know how much I want my play experience to be influenced by them. Cause the players will always default to what is most efficient.

Its one of the reasons I don't watch it lol.

And you can easily turn the knobs to far in the other direction and in a few months folks will just be complaining about the new dominant comp. Like we had Orisa/Hog just for a month and that only changed cause Sigma came out.

Personally, I just think if they are that desperate to make OWL more interesting for spectators and players they should start thinking about hero bans.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I mean I don't want my play experience to be determined by what the best of the best are playing either, but that's the reality we live in.

Personally I'd be fine with them turning the dial far enough to make double shield a bad choice just because I personally don't like playing it, either on my team or the enemy. If meta went back closer to dive, for example, with Winston/D.Va being much stronger than they are now, that'd suit me just fine.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

It might make some difference at lower levels, but according to folks who have been scrimming on PTR to prepare for the world cup, it's still 99% Sigma/Orisa. So I'd expect the top-end meta to follow the same trend, unfortunately. More work still needs to be done.

I wouldn't expect them to make changes so dramatic that pros find their strats don't work anymore. It takes time for the meta to settle so they need to be careful about over-correcting - they'll need to give it a few weeks on live before deciding on further buffs/nerfs I think.

• Options
    Pros typically take awhile to figure out the new meta. I mean, it sure seemed like GOATs was actually done before 2-2-2 was implemented (stage 3 was won with triple/quad DPS), but very few teams were willing to try anything except GOATs.

• Options
    Sure but I think in this case, it's just that none of the changes really do enough to warrant a change in the meta (again, at the highest level). The utility and damage mitigation you get from Orisa and Sig still outweigh the rest of the tanks in most cases, and the best way to deal with that enemy tank lineup is still with Doom/Reaper/Mei.

I agree that it's not Blizzard's style to make big changes all at once (role lock notwithstanding) but they could definitely afford to make smaller changes way more often than they do right now. If they follow their normal pace, I wouldn't be surprised if double shield is still the meta when OWL starts back up again next year.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I mean...its literally been a day.

And going back to GOATs people were still playing Double Sniper months out after the nerfs. Folks didn't know something better existed cause they weren't really looking.

Not to mention Blizzcon is in a few weeks and we don't know what new hero they could be announcing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's also just that pros play The Meta with such a high degree of sophistication and teamwork. Like goats wasn't much of an issue in any tier except GM, and even GM goats wasn't really anywhere near pro-goats. Us mere schmucks can switch the heroes we play on day 1 of a patch (Dva and Tracer are both feeling aa good bit better!), but pros have to compensate for the massive amount of team practice and coordination that their opponents have built up playing a particular strategy. Inherently that's going to take a lot of practice time to overcome.

That's why we generally see the meta shift first in T2 overwatch, where that teamwork isn't quite so perfected, and is therefore more responsive to balance changes.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I mean...its literally been a day.

And going back to GOATs people were still playing Double Sniper months out after the nerfs. Folks didn't know something better existed cause they weren't really looking.

Not to mention Blizzcon is in a few weeks and we don't know what new hero they could be announcing.

Right, my only point was that teams have been scrimming on this patch since it went up on PTR, and the changes haven't really had any impact on their play. (And keep in mind this is World Cup teams, who are most definitely not OWL-caliber in terms of skill or teamwork.) If it doesn't change pro/semi-pro play, it's not gonna change top-tier ranked meta either. The changes apparently aren't enough, is all.

That being said, the changes could very well be enough at the levels most of us play at to make playing off-meta more viable/less likely to get you yelled at by meta-slave teammates, which will definitely be good enough for me. I still think Winston's buffs aren't anywhere near enough to make him a good default pick, so hopefully they've got more planned for him.