As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    The chokepoint heavy CP maps don't bother me unless the defending team goes Bastion bunker. It's not that the strategy is OP, but it requires a level of coordination to defeat that often is beyond a pub QP game. I feel like Bastion is due another redesign.

I've been playing him more because I like the brick skin sound and visual effects, and he's still pretty potent. I had a potg the other day that was just me in transforming into turret mode and straight up deleting 2 over-confident squishies and the unwise mercy who tried to rez one of them. bunker's just an ongoing problem for pugs. I don't know how to fix it without just removing bastion from the equation though. Like, shield meta without bastion doesn't seem nearly as intimidating to me. Flanking seems easier when there's not a death turret tracking you behind two shields...

Maybe we need to fight shields with shields...return some version of torbs armor or sym's personal shields (throwback!) to give your squishies enough health to survive the flank. I guess we have brig's armor for that now, but ... idk. For one thing, the two-second delay is not enough to save them from bastion in the moment.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The only thing Paris has for it is it's a very, very pretty map, one of the best visual ones up there with Eichenwald and Hollywood.

Horizon doesn't even have visuals, it's just bad.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    The chokepoint heavy CP maps don't bother me unless the defending team goes Bastion bunker. It's not that the strategy is OP, but it requires a level of coordination to defeat that often is beyond a pub QP game. I feel like Bastion is due another redesign.

I've been playing him more because I like the brick skin sound and visual effects, and he's still pretty potent. I had a potg the other day that was just me in transforming into turret mode and straight up deleting 2 over-confident squishies and the unwise mercy who tried to rez one of them. bunker's just an ongoing problem for pugs. I don't know how to fix it without just removing bastion from the equation though. Like, shield meta without bastion doesn't seem nearly as intimidating to me. Flanking seems easier when there's not a death turret tracking you behind two shields...

Maybe we need to fight shields with shields...return some version of torbs armor or sym's personal shields (throwback!) to give your squishies enough health to survive the flank. I guess we have brig's armor for that now, but ... idk. For one thing, the two-second delay is not enough to save them from bastion in the moment.

My fix for Bastion would be an overheat on his gun, which recovers when he transforms out. Make it a resource he has to manage, and not as much a stationary turret to be shielded indefinitely. Naturally he would need a buff to compensate. My dream idea would be for his tank form to be baseline. So he'd be a versatile character with access to numerous types of damage for different situations.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I don't have any problems with any of the maps.

They are all better than 2fort.

I do have a small problem with the fact that they never released any large player count mode and some huge maps to go with it. I think 8v8 or even 12v12 Overwatch would be an intense, highly amusing arcade mode, but they'd have to write some very large maps (relative to what currently exists) for it to work at all.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Since everyone's throwing out their Valkyrie proposals, here's a rerun/recap from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Executive summary: the wide-angle beam becomes a toggleable mode similar to Lucio's Crossfade, and Valkyrie is narrowed to a delivery mechanism for multiple Resurrections.

Details:
    - Valkyrie no longer provides the blooming beam.
    - Mercy's E skill now toggles her staff between two modes: single target or bloomed. In single-target mode she provides 50 HPS or 30% damage boost to one target. In bloomed mode she provides one-third of the single-target effect (16.6 HPS or 10% damage boost) to all affected allies.
    - Valkyrie's duration is reduced to six seconds or thereabouts.
    - Mercy may attempt up to 3 Resurrections by pressing Q again while Valkyrie is active.

The goal is to make Valkyrie more of an "ultimate move" than a big passive transformation while giving Mercy more moment-to-moment decision making outside of her ultimate. Three resurrections in six seconds is powerful, but the likelihood that Mercy will manage to get all three off is fairly low and as an ultimate they will occur less frequently than the current 30 second cooldown.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I don't have any problems with any of the maps.

They are all better than 2fort.

I would rather play 2fort than Hanamura, honestly.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I actually like the first point on Paris once it breaks through the first chokehold. There are different avenues to attack from, and getting through to them is very powerful, but you have to work to take advantage of them. It has a bit of verticality, and a fun ledge for environmental kills. There's lots of variety. That first choke can suck real hard, though, and the whole area leading up to it is a weirdly designed dead space, for the most part.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    My strat for breaking the first choke on Paris is to wave at the reds as I run past them. Some of them will break off, and then your team wins on numbers.

The secret to holding point A is to kill that flanker before they can wave.
    That first choke can suck real hard, though, and the whole area leading up to it is a weirdly designed dead space, for the most part.

That's your classic Hanamura Point A Shenanigans Zone when defending. You get in there and you do mad shenanigans and maintain a numbers imbalance.

https://youtu.be/EN3kTZOxBKQ

I cannot believe this is the only vid I put up of it, but believe me it's a tulip field of flanker delights.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    My strat for breaking the first choke on Paris is to wave at the reds as I run past them. Some of them will break off, and then your team wins on numbers.

That first choke can suck real hard, though, and the whole area leading up to it is a weirdly designed dead space, for the most part.

That's your classic Hanamura Point A Shenanigans Zone when defending. You get in there and you do mad shenanigans and maintain a numbers imbalance.

I cannot believe this is the only vid I put up of it, but believe me it's a tulip field of flanker delights.

What god are you sacrificing to in order to get these games where no one peels for their team to shoot you, or waits for you to recall, and everyone just stands there for you to one-clip them?

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Yeah, for Paris first point I'll usually run Ham or Lucio and go over the top of the left side of the choke, then hop on the point and fire into the red team until they urn to engage me. I might volley briefly, but will retreat towards point B - usually around the right building over the water where it's unlikely for the reds to follow. I'll grab the mega in that building and rinse and repeat until the reds are split enough for my team to break through the choke.

• Options
    Chance wrote: »

What god are you sacrificing to in order to get these games where no one peels for their team to shoot you, or waits for you to recall, and everyone just stands there for you to one-clip them?

The God of SR. I chill out around low plat. These are my people, and I love that I can kill them.

Also I don't think I one clipped anyone in that vid? I'll hafta rewatch.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I forget, Chance, do you play on console or PC?

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kupi wrote: »
    Since everyone's throwing out their Valkyrie proposals, here's a rerun/recap from the Department of Bad Ideas:

Executive summary: the wide-angle beam becomes a toggleable mode similar to Lucio's Crossfade, and Valkyrie is narrowed to a delivery mechanism for multiple Resurrections.

Details:
    - Valkyrie no longer provides the blooming beam.
    - Mercy's E skill now toggles her staff between two modes: single target or bloomed. In single-target mode she provides 50 HPS or 30% damage boost to one target. In bloomed mode she provides one-third of the single-target effect (16.6 HPS or 10% damage boost) to all affected allies.
    - Valkyrie's duration is reduced to six seconds or thereabouts.
    - Mercy may attempt up to 3 Resurrections by pressing Q again while Valkyrie is active.

The goal is to make Valkyrie more of an "ultimate move" than a big passive transformation while giving Mercy more moment-to-moment decision making outside of her ultimate. Three resurrections in six seconds is powerful, but the likelihood that Mercy will manage to get all three off is fairly low and as an ultimate they will occur less frequently than the current 30 second cooldown.

My dream Mercy rework would be:

Patch her super jump out. It's ridiculous that an inertia bug is basically considered a core part of her kit at upper levels of play and so things have to be balanced with that in mind, especially when it's finicky to use on slopes or similar.
    E changed to a small AoE CC cleanse/1 sec immunity. This would do so much to alleviate the stun-lock problems that make tanks so miserable to play and give her something that no other support has.
    Valkyrie loses the chain beam. Instead, after transforming, each subsequent press of Q is Res in its current form, unlimited uses during ten seconds or whatever. Provides counter play, and the possibility for her ult to completely turn a fight while maintaining the dynamic part of playing her.
    RMB changed to "Overcharge Beam," ie empowers AND heals (healing at an increased rate), including a rapidly decaying overheal of 50 HP, at the cost of 15 HP/sec from Mercy while the beam is active (automatically turns off with a short cooldown if she drops to 1 HP). That increases her synchronization with the AoE incidental healers like Brig and Lucio, adds extra depth to RMB besides just "RMB when HP is full or is ulting," and making Mercy more fragile while empowering other characters making usage of it more strategic while also making it easier to break the Pharmercy pairing that has only gotten more miserable when your DPS are completely inept and/or unwilling to switch off of Doom/Mei.

I'm also dreaming of the day we get a healer like Ying from Paladins. Played that for longer than I'd admit just because I loved her gameplay design. Basically, lays down clones that heal nearby allies that you can then turn into kamikaze explosives, and/or swap position with, so you're slippery as fuck while also able to really decisively deter the flanky/jinky types.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Love the idea of a cc cleanse ability (amazed that Zarya is still the only one with this ability tbh).
    Love the idea of doing something interesting with her RMB, maybe not your idea exactly but there's potential.
    Don't get rid of super jump, it's fun tech with limited use that allows skilled players to do something neat but not game-breaking.
    For the love of God don't give her any more rezzes. Her old rez-ult-rez felt extremely bad to play against, adding the potential for more would suuuuck. I don't care how skillful you have to be, that's just Not Fun.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Throwing out nonsense as a barely-Gold who doesn't play Mercy and has no clue how any of it would effect balance...

I'd appreciate some change to the feedback on her heal.

Maybe it heals less per second normally but visibly pulses for a burst of healing at certain intervals. The pulse also impacts the empower buff for a few seconds. Maybe only if the pulse actually healed some damage, so it's for charging up people being focused but you're not stuck channeling literally 24/7 because yellow channel or blue channel is the only sensible option. Make it stronger if necessary since you can't direct it as optimally?

Right click fires off pistol shots, because I wanna shoot the pistol. She took quick draw lessons from McCree, okay?

Revive is sort of iconic, so I'm not sure what to do with it. I guess it's fine if the rest of your kit is satisfying even from a selfish standpoint.

Ult's the same but with the combined beam that pulses.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Love the idea of a cc cleanse ability (amazed that Zarya is still the only one with this ability tbh).
    Love the idea of doing something interesting with her RMB, maybe not your idea exactly but there's potential.
    Don't get rid of super jump, it's fun tech with limited use that allows skilled players to do something neat but not game-breaking.
    For the love of God don't give her any more rezzes. Her old rez-ult-rez felt extremely bad to play against, adding the potential for more would suuuuck. I don't care how skillful you have to be, that's just Not Fun.

It's still markedly weaker than Mercy 1.0's mass res, and I'd argue weaker overall than the current main use I get/see from it, negating the pick of a dumbass DPS who decided to skirmish on the edge of the enemy while waiting for the team to group up and shockingly got domed by Hanzo/Widow/Mei/Zen/Whoever so the well-behaving members of the team don't have to wait 15 seconds for them to respawn and haul their stupid ass back.

A pulse mechanic like that is more randomness than you really want and will feel bad both playing for it and against it when the pulses are poorly/perfectly timed but you're helpless to control it well. It also kind of steps on the toes of how Baptiste and Ana work, which are basically pulses of healing with each shot.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    ArcTangent wrote: »

It's still markedly weaker than Mercy 1.0's mass res, and I'd argue weaker overall than the current main use I get/see from it, negating the pick of a dumbass DPS who decided to skirmish on the edge of the enemy while waiting for the team to group up and shockingly got domed by Hanzo/Widow/Mei/Zen/Whoever so the well-behaving members of the team don't have to wait 15 seconds for them to respawn and haul their stupid ass back.

It may or may not be weaker, but right now if I see a Mercy get her rez off it generally doesn't bother me because I know that's it for the next 30 seconds and we've still got a good shot of taking the fight, OR she used her rez smartly and brought back a key player to swing the fight, fair play to her.

But getting 2 or 3 kills and having them all wiped off the board one after the other just feels bad. It doesn't necessarily break her or make her a must-pick (although I wouldn't be surprised if it did, that's a huge amount of swing potential), but multi-rez in all its forms has always felt awful. I'm perfectly happy to let that one stay dead.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Blizzard suspends hearthstone player for supporting Hong Kong - https://kotaku.com/blizzard-suspends-hearthstone-player-for-hong-kong-supp-1838864961

God damn, Blizzard..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    I forget, Chance, do you play on console or PC?

PS4 ^.^

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Blizzard suspends hearthstone player for supporting Hong Kong - https://kotaku.com/blizzard-suspends-hearthstone-player-for-hong-kong-supp-1838864961

God damn, Blizzard..

Fucking hell, that's disgusting. The irony is that it's probably only legal because the guy is from Hong Kong; they need to get US players on there doing the same thing, because I'm all but certain that no amount of shitty waivers allows a company to override constitutional rights.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

God damn, Blizzard..

Fucking hell, that's disgusting. The irony is that it's probably only legal because the guy is from Hong Kong; they need to get US players on there doing the same thing, because I'm all but certain that no amount of shitty waivers allows a company to override constitutional rights.

Freedom of speech doesn’t really extend into the corporate world. It’s only meant to protect you from government reprisals.

Though, likewise, Blizzard has no constitutional protection from the repercussions of their actions here either. They are going to find it difficult to extract any more money from me from this action unless and until they fix their shit here.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

God damn, Blizzard..

Freedom of speech doesn’t really extend into the corporate world. It’s only meant to protect you from government reprisals.

Though, likewise, Blizzard has no constitutional protection from the repercussions of their actions here either. They are going to find it difficult to extract any more money from me from this action unless and until they fix their shit here.

Unfortunately, the profit lost from conscientious objectors doesn't quite stack up to the Chinese marketshare they're trying to protect. Buncha garbage.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

God damn, Blizzard..

Blizzcon is in like 3 weeks..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Fucking yikes. What a heartlessly corporate decision.

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

It may or may not be weaker, but right now if I see a Mercy get her rez off it generally doesn't bother me because I know that's it for the next 30 seconds and we've still got a good shot of taking the fight, OR she used her rez smartly and brought back a key player to swing the fight, fair play to her.

But getting 2 or 3 kills and having them all wiped off the board one after the other just feels bad. It doesn't necessarily break her or make her a must-pick (although I wouldn't be surprised if it did, that's a huge amount of swing potential), but multi-rez in all its forms has always felt awful. I'm perfectly happy to let that one stay dead.

Letting an enemy successfully execute their ult SHOULD feel bad, but I don't think how it feels to play against should really be a concern. If it is, then almost all ultimates and many basic abilities should cause you far more concern. You won't find a tank player alive without some horror story about being helplessly locked down by a stupid and/or vindictive Mei for 10-20 seconds with no recourse, and numerous DPS ultimates will have deleted you even before they get to the second syllable in announcing it.

It should, however feel impactful and satisfying to use, which is a big problem with Valkyrie right now, and Mercy 2.0 in general. You use it and just keep doing what you were already doing, except you need to pay even less attention because targeting the exact right person isn't as important, and exact positioning is easier to control. Current Res has a lot of problems, from what I mentioned before as being frequently used as a band-aid for dumb mistakes before fights, to poor in-game communication as to when it's actually available. Pulling one off in the middle of a fight does hit the right mark of impactful, but it's rarely the right thing to do and almost always is just back to the res-and-die thing that made Res 1.0 its own kind of awful. With the new limitations of single target only, LoS needed, short range, and long cast time, I just can't see how multiple res would be the same problem before, or perhaps rather, you SHOULD feel bad if you let an ultimate like that (or any ultimate) execute to maximal effect.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

God damn, Blizzard..

We're talking about this in the Hearthstone thread since it was a Hearthstone player and casters that were suspended/fired. I think we should keep the discussion there so we don't take over every Blizzard thread talking about their (IMO shitty) decision.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Well.. It kinda concerns all that blizzard does. I'm not playing hearthstone. And I won't be playing OW anymore.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Well.. It kinda concerns all that blizzard does. I'm not playing hearthstone. And I won't be playing OW anymore.

Fair enough!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

God damn, Blizzard..

Blizzcon is in like 3 weeks..

don't you guys have democracy?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular

My fix for Bastion would be an overheat on his gun, which recovers when he transforms out. Make it a resource he has to manage, and not as much a stationary turret to be shielded indefinitely. Naturally he would need a buff to compensate. My dream idea would be for his tank form to be baseline. So he'd be a versatile character with access to numerous types of damage for different situations.

I honestly really like this idea!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

I honestly really like this idea!

Yeah. I think I'd want it taken even further. Have each form degrade after a certain number of shots or whatever so the player is encouraged to switch between all three.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Yeah, I'm glad somebody brought that info here because it's pretty clearly a Blizzard issue and Blizzard needs to feel the bite on such an actively evil decision. Because there's no other way to put it other than "evil" to choose to punish a player wanting proper human rights because it might pose some kind of threat to an immensely profitable company earning immensely more profit.

That fairly well settles up any involvement I'll have with Blizzard, just glad Overwatch is all I've got from them. Uninstalling it as I speak.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Actiblizz has been part-owned by Tencent - a Chinese super-conglomerate - for years. Blizzard, the game devs in California, likely had little to do with this.

Still, they'll hafta pay I guess.

• Options
    The absolute bullshit with Hearthstone aside, it's stupid that they didn't at least put the new patch up today.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Heheh.

sy5o98qfc8zp.jpg

After going 1 - 1 on support with my brother tanking, I went 18 and 0 on Hanamura attack with Zarya and him on Ashe (blew my mind), and then 26 and 0 full holding King's Row A with me on Orisa and him on Bastion. 3 and 0 overall tanking.

Woot.

Chance on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'll probably play a few more rounds of Overwatch and uninstall it along with every other Battle.net title as well. Not too difficult a choice given how far out of love I've fallen with the game
    Yilias wrote: »
    Valk encouraging you to hulk out instead of float behind a pillar would be pretty rad.

Valkyrie beam no longer heals, but is now a chain of laser beams that each do 150 damage per second

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    this may be the highlight of the night
    https://youtu.be/FgDwjps0l8Y

• Options
  • Options