As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    does weight interact with strength? I've never really understood what the weight stat was about

Yes. Every 5 STR reduces the WT penalty of your equipment by 1. It doesn't speed you up if you get to 0 WT though (looking at you, fists).

silence1186 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what determines if you get double attacks or not

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    what determines if you get double attacks or not
    You double if your attack speed is at least four points higher than the opponent's attack speed.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    does weight interact with strength? I've never really understood what the weight stat was about
    it goes like this in three houses

A: Attack Speed, what your effective speed is when attacking. It is compared to the opponent's effective attack speed to determine if you double them, or if they double you. I believe having five or more attack speed than your opponent means you will double them. (At least that is how it has usually been.) The reverse also applies.

S: Character's speed stat. Speed effects some things other than attack speed but attack speed is the most important thing it affects.
    W: Combined weight of all equipped equipment on character. i.e. weapons, spells, staves, shields. But only the items that are currently equipped, not everything in your inventory or in the case of spells not all the attack spells you have access to.
    X: Character's strength stat. Strength does in fact have something to do with attack speed in Three Houses. There used to be a constitution stat which played a role but that has not been in any of the Intelligent Systems games, and that's probably a good thing since it was mostly useless stat otherwise.

A=S-(W-X/5)

So in layman's terms, every five points of strength gives you essentially one "free weight". So if you have 20 strength, you could wield a weapon with four weight with no penalty to your attack. You can use high weight weapons with low strength, but you will suffer pretty significant attack speed penalties. As a general rule in this game for melee weapons gauntlets are generally the lightest, followed by swords, lances are heavy, and axes are the heaviest. (FYI this is part of the reason why axes have long been considered the worst melee weapon type in fire emblem, although they are much better in general in most IS games as compared to the old ones.) Gauntlets additionally will double the number of attacks you'd get based on your attack speed if the unit with the gauntlets attack. (to compensate they do the worst damage for weight of any melee weapon on defense... but they're still arguably the best melee weapon type in Three Houses.)

For spells, as a rule of thumb, light offensive magic is heavier than dark offensive magic.(of the mage or dark mage varieties) As far as I'm aware spells do in fact still use strength to offset weight penalty and not magic, but I may be wrong about that.

edit: is it +/-4 attack speed gives you doubles? because if so my lizard brain is going "THAT IS LESS BEAUTIFUL THAN +/-5 BEING THE CUTOFF."

Gundi on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Higher strength reduces weight as well. Weight lowers your attack speed.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man. Chapter 8, Blue Lions
    "Kill them all. Let none escape! Sever their limbs and crush their wicked skulls!"

Dimitri over here having a very normal one

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Hot take: I think Felix's personal skill is... kinda not good actually. Like sure +5 damage is huge in the early game but that's gonna fall off pretty quick, and the fact that it will only benefit you if you don't put a battalion, one of the absolute strongest mechanics in Three Houses, on him is... not good. Since he has a malus to authority trying to train it just through lessons and seminars would be a grind, so if you don't put low level battalions on him his authority rank will probably never go anywhere. (or you'll have to spend just enormous amounts of time babying him)

Battalions are amazing. Even just losing access to a single gambit might not be worth an additional +5 strength and magic for me, and besides battalions start to give stat bonuses that are way better than that past the first few ranks. There aren't any d rank battalions that give a flat 5 increase to strength or magic, but there are ones that might give 3 strength, 1 defense, 1 resistance, 5 crit, and 5 avoid when leveled up. By the time you get to C rank most battalions in that rank start to give better bonuses than Felix's passive once you level them up a bit.

And all of the above isn't even getting into Battalion related skills, which are some of the strongest in the game. Felix's personal skill might be the worst in the game in that if you rely on it, it'll actively make him a worse character than he'd eventually become otherwise.

• Options
    Felix's personal skill is extremely useful in the Mock Battle and... almost nowhere else. Anyway!

I'm slowly working out a timeline of what went down for certain characters in their childhoods

Azure Moon might have the last few pieces I need to confirm some things, based on rumblings. Gonna need to figure these last few parts...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    edit: is it +/-4 attack speed gives you doubles? because if so my lizard brain is going "THAT IS LESS BEAUTIFUL THAN +/-5 BEING THE CUTOFF."
    Yeah, it's 4 in Three Houses. It's also four in the GBA games and the Radiance games. Awakening and Fates were actually the wierd ones for using 5.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Battalions are so strong that Authority is low key the best skill in the game, so yeah Felix may as well not even have a personal skill

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I finished this last night!

It was very good.

Also the voice actor change kicked in right on the final battle so I spent the entire thing feeling ever so slightly weirded out any time Byleth said his lines.

• Options
    It does need to be said that, in the Mock Battle, that personal skill makes Felix the best unit in the game on New Game Maddening difficulty. It might not last for very long, but if you're playing Blue Lions you'll be glad you have it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

It was very good.

Also the voice actor change kicked in right on the final battle so I spent the entire thing feeling ever so slightly weirded out any time Byleth said his lines.

Yay! Did you have any burning questions we can help with?

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

It was very good.

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to get stuck into the wikis yet, so my main one is
    what the flippin' heck happened to Edelgard in that final fight

I'm assuming the Black Eagles path gets, uh, kinda... culty?

• Options
    edited September 2019

It was very good.

This is the only route on which Edelgard turns into Hegemon Edelgard! The assumption is she turned to using crest stones/TWSITD’s dark magic in her desperation.

Actually, on Edelgard’s own route, if you side with her then she has the strength not to resort to using the monsters and golems she does in all the other routes. It’s less a cult and more a straight-forward invasion. Her goals are to destroy the church and unite Fódlan.

Janson on
  • Options

It was very good.

This is the only route on which Edelgard turns into Hegemon Edelgard! The assumption is she turned to using crest stones/TWSITD’s dark magic in her desperation.

Actually, on Edelgard’s own route, if you side with her then she has the strength not to resort to using the monsters and golems she does in all the other routes. It’s less a cult and more a straight-forward invasion. Her goals are to destroy the church and unite Fódlan.
    TWSITD??

• Options

It was very good.

TWSITD??
    Ah, my apologies, I should have explained further.

TWSITD = Those who slither in the dark, which is the nickname Hubert gives to Kronya/Monica, Thales/Arundel, Solon/Tomas and their associates (we can safely assume Cornelia is also one).

They feature more heavily on the Golden Deer route.

In Blue Lions they never feature much after Act 1, largely because by killing Thales/Arundel in Dierdue, Dimitri and Byleth effectively cut off the head of the organization.

In 3/4 routes, Edelgard works alongside them, using them to further her own goals. In her own route, Byleth’s presence enables her to reject them and rely upon her own army’s strengths.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Also, if you’re curious about what features in Blue Lions that doesn’t in other routes, because I know I was!:
    The dagger doesn’t get mentioned at all.

Dimitri’s relationship to Edelgard isn’t mentioned at all. On Edelgard’s route he isn’t seen from Chapter 11 until the chapter in which she executes him. He has about 4-5 lines total.

Duscur incident is barely mentioned.

Dimitri/Dedue are barely seen!

Janson on
  • Options
    Yeah wow, I'm skimming through the plots of the other routes now and it seems like Blue Lions was the most standalone story of the four, in regards to lore and plot structure.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Slowly getting closer to revising my GD final chapters, then starting a Blue Lion run. I think I could've made it last night, but one off my joy cons died and I want to finish on the TV, not as a hand held. Oh well.

For my BL run, my initial plans are such:
    Spend renown to max out professor level immediately.
    Spend renown to get Ferdinand, Caspar, Leonie and Hilda to B support, and hope one randomly offers to join relatively quickly to round out my roster.
    Spam flowers and recruit everyone else the normal way.

For my Blue Lions, since fliers are so strong in this game, I'm thinking lean heavily, but not totally on them.
    Byleth: Pegasus Knight->Wyvern Rider -> Falcon Knight
    Dimitri: Cavalier -> Paladin
    Dedue: Brigand -> Warrior -> War Master -> Dancer
    Felix: Thief -> Assassin -> Mortal Savant (maybe not immediately)
    Ashe: Brigand -> Wyvern Rider -> Wyvern Lord
    Sylvain: Brigand -> Wyvern Rider -> Wyvern Lord
    Ingrid: Pegasus Knight -> Wyvern Rider -> Falcon Knight
    Annette/Mercedes: Mage -> Warlock/Bishop -> Gremory (maybe Dark Knight for Annette?)

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Hot take: I think Felix's personal skill is... kinda not good actually. Like sure +5 damage is huge in the early game but that's gonna fall off pretty quick, and the fact that it will only benefit you if you don't put a battalion, one of the absolute strongest mechanics in Three Houses, on him is... not good. Since he has a malus to authority trying to train it just through lessons and seminars would be a grind, so if you don't put low level battalions on him his authority rank will probably never go anywhere. (or you'll have to spend just enormous amounts of time babying him)

Battalions are amazing. Even just losing access to a single gambit might not be worth an additional +5 strength and magic for me, and besides battalions start to give stat bonuses that are way better than that past the first few ranks. There aren't any d rank battalions that give a flat 5 increase to strength or magic, but there are ones that might give 3 strength, 1 defense, 1 resistance, 5 crit, and 5 avoid when leveled up. By the time you get to C rank most battalions in that rank start to give better bonuses than Felix's passive once you level them up a bit.

And all of the above isn't even getting into Battalion related skills, which are some of the strongest in the game. Felix's personal skill might be the worst in the game in that if you rely on it, it'll actively make him a worse character than he'd eventually become otherwise.

Felix was born to be a Mortal Savant if you ask me. His magic growth is good, and he's so fast that he will almost always double. His base defense is pretty decent too, which means you can throw him into situations your more squishy mages would be eviscerated. And you still have a backup of having a sword around for high resistance enemies.

My most recent play through (Silver Snow) had him as a swordmaster, and I was sorely missing having him as a dodgy magic tank by the end of it. Poor Felix ended up as a permanent adjunct.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Slowly getting closer to revising my GD final chapters, then starting a Blue Lion run. I think I could've made it last night, but one off my joy cons died and I want to finish on the TV, not as a hand held. Oh well.

Spend renown to get Ferdinand, Caspar, Leonie and Hilda to B support, and hope one randomly offers to join relatively quickly to round out my roster.

For my Blue Lions, since fliers are so strong in this game, I'm thinking lean heavily, but not totally on them.
    Annette/Mercedes: Mage -> Warlock/Bishop -> Gremory (maybe Dark Knight for Annette?)

You can hold off on dumping renown for Caspar and Ferdinand, as I understand those two are time gated recruits for Blue Lions.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

You can hold off on dumping renown for Caspar and Ferdinand, as I understand those two are time gated recruits for Blue Lions.

Right, I'm hoping to skip past the time gate by spending renown.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Right, I'm hoping to skip past the time gate by spending renown.

You will. Their B supports are time gated, but unlike, say, Hilda on the BE route, you can actually recruit them as early as you please. This is how I got Caspar for my Blue Lions playthrough! He joined in week... 2 or 3??

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So it turns out the update also changed Bernadetta's B support with Byleth:

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    ...Why the fuck would they change that? I can't think of a reason that doesn't make Nintendo look REAL bad.

(That spoiler is for Byleth/Bernadetta B support by the way.)

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Felix was born to be a Mortal Savant if you ask me. His magic growth is good, and he's so fast that he will almost always double. His base defense is pretty decent too, which means you can throw him into situations your more squishy mages would be eviscerated. And you still have a backup of having a sword around for high resistance enemies.

My most recent play through (Silver Snow) had him as a swordmaster, and I was sorely missing having him as a dodgy magic tank by the end of it. Poor Felix ended up as a permanent adjunct.

felix's strength growth is 55 and his magic growth is only 30. A thirty percent base magic growth rate isn't good in this game. Making Felix a mortal savant is a waste. Even Ignatz does it better. He'd be much, much better staying as a sword master or, even better if you're willing to train axes with him, becoming a war master.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I kinda feel like mortal savant kinda requires soul blade or hexblade to REALLY work. It works better as a one-shot machine rather than relying on speed. That way it doesn’t matter that your squishies are squishy because their target is dead as fuck anyway.

That said, reclass Felix into savant after a few extra levels when stat growth doesn’t matter as much for the extra point of movement.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Wyvern wrote: »
    ...Why the fuck would they change that? I can't think of a reason that doesn't make Nintendo look REAL bad.

(That spoiler is for Byleth/Bernadetta B support by the way.)

It's not likely they're going to put out a statement about it
    If we wanted to read this as generously as possible, they might have removed it because Bernadetta's description of the abuse she suffered can be (and has been) really upsetting and disturbing for people who have suffered a similar kind of abuse

To be clear, I don't think we should default to the most generous reading

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    End of Chapter 8, Blue Lions
    (I'm sort of comparing all three houses here)
    It's interesting how Edelgard and Claude have very similar concerns here—the first thing they do is try to talk about what happened. Claude in particular is still trying to get his head around it, Edelgard is worried about Byleth losing people they cared about. It branches a bit from there, because Claude starts chasing mysteries and Edelgard starts talking about how they can deal with so many uncertain elements, but both of them try primarily to deal with and understand the consequences of everything that's just happened. There's a lot of connection there, a common thread where Claude and Edelgard are very focused on the situation, and to a lesser extent on Byleth.

That's not really true in the Blue Lions route.

Since Dimitri started to go a bit Blood and Fire there, his first concern is apologizing for his behavior, so the conversation isn't about how he's reacting to the village or how Byleth is, it's how Byleth might potentially be reacting to him. It's much more personally rooted, and in some ways more selfish—and an interesting segue into learning a bit more about Dimitri's past.

And there's no mystery for Dimitri, no ambiguity. No "who are these people"—it's a matter of "Solon and the Flame Emperor need to be double murdered" and he doesn't try to figure out the situation past that because it doesn't exist beyond that, for him

Man. King Lambert was an irresponsible dick. I mean I can't blame the guy too much, he was on fire at the time, but if your last words to your barely teenaged son are "Avenge us! Those who killed us—destroy them! Burn them all!" then you get some serious dad demerits

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    look man if I'm a dead monarch I expect my progeny to make the rivers and streams of realm run red with blood

it's traditional

Gundi on
  • Options
    felix's strength growth is 55 and his magic growth is only 30. A thirty percent base magic growth rate isn't good in this game. Making Felix a mortal savant is a waste. Even Ignatz does it better. He'd be much, much better staying as a sword master or, even better if you're willing to train axes with him, becoming a war master.

You cannot stop me from making Felix into a magic ninja

Also I have finished Silver Snow!
    I actually really liked this route! Lots of neat story bits and it finally filled in some gaps left by the other routes. Felt kind of off to skip the Battle of Gronder though. And the ending boss battle was.... weird. Just a very odd setup.

Now that there's a VA switch I may go ahead and try out male Byleth for my last run (Crimson Flower). Although I do have a save from right before the split... I'll have to decide how over the monastery sections I am.

• Options
    dimiti and sylvain's support is so dumb

and great

• Options
    Crimson Flower is one of those rare, beautiful paths where you can play whatever version of the MC you like and get basically equivalent experiences

...Man. Do y'all remember how your relationship with Lucina in Awakening read when you played a female Robin who wasn't romancing Chrom? Or how your relationship with Chrom read when you did romance him?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    dimiti and sylvain's support is so dumb

and great

Depending on when you gain the B-Support it can gain extra, delicious significance later

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Crimson Flower really feels to me like it’s meant for female Byleth, romancing Edie.

It just works too well for me to consider doing anything else.

• Options
    Crimson Flower really feels to me like it’s meant for female Byleth, romancing Edie.

It just works too well for me to consider doing anything else.

You know what?

Yeah. Yeah that sounds right to me. I'm gonna stick with lady Byleth for this one. Maybe I'll do a fella Byleth when the DLC finally comes out.

• Options
    Uh oh everyone

Do you know what time it is?

It's time for DIDGE'S FANART DUMP

That's right folks, I've delved into the tumblr mines and have emerged with a few pieces I hope... you will enjoy. Potential spoilers for all routes, but nothing too crazy. Most of the potential spoilers involve Blue Lions and some C-level supports between units. Everything else is pretty generic to all routes.
    tumblr_pxp8arlEzJ1xdpglvo1_640.png
    Credit: citriccenobite

tumblr_pxoyxigQJF1qc17yfo1_1280.png
    Credit: Poupon

tumblr_pxivg7hujM1qlxsazo1_540.png
    Credit: h0lyhandgrenade

tumblr_pxixm7MKEj1vydei2o3_540.png
    tumblr_pxixm7MKEj1vydei2o1_1280.png
    tumblr_pxixm7MKEj1vydei2o2_540.png
    Credit: bastart13

tumblr_pxc7hwc5O81r3195yo1_1280.jpg
    The first night I just slept outside your door. I thought you’d disappear or just…not wake up.

You told me you’ve been asleep all this time, but you still look so tired, Teach.

I’d open the door just enough to see your face, but even then I wondered if it was really you, or just a moment I’ve dreamed of all these years.
    Credit: heytherechief

tumblr_px8u02R91y1s5xqioo1_r1_1280.jpg
    tfw the professor keeps giving you ceremonial swords
    Credit: jamiewoolleyart

tumblr_pw70wxEVqc1xdbpf4o1_1280.png
    Credit: laurencin-draws

Okay that's it for now I will probably throw more out later

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

...Man. Do y'all remember how your relationship with Lucina in Awakening read when you played a female Robin who wasn't romancing Chrom? Or how your relationship with Chrom read when you did romance him?

nah not at all actually

• Options
    I love Flayn so much