As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know it seems like people are bummed out by which SNES games are missing, which ones are likely to never come, and how few will probably come out when all is said and done. But I'm just pleased as punch because just about every NES and SNES game I love is playable on Switch (though some through separate compilations).

I just need the inevitable Final Fantasy IV - VI compilation and I'll be good. Bonus points for Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »
    There's also a chance they release more of the romhacked versions for the SNES games each month or so as well, which could keep things interesting. Those would be great for things like RPGs, or even something like Super Metroid.

Come on, Nintendo, give us randomizers.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    There's also a chance they release more of the romhacked versions for the SNES games each month or so as well, which could keep things interesting. Those would be great for things like RPGs, or even something like Super Metroid.

We already got a Zelda randomizer for Switch though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I guess I'll find out later today when I'm mid trip but I really hope you can launch these SNES games without being actively online, like how PS+ just has a flag on "sure you can play this until x"

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I guess I'll find out later today when I'm mid trip but I really hope you can launch these SNES games without being actively online, like how PS+ just has a flag on "sure you can play this until x"

People here have mentioned that is possible, yes. The Switch just needs a weekly check-in or something? I don't know firsthand.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Are you talking about the dungeon builder on Link's Awakening? Definitely not the same thing.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

People here have mentioned that is possible, yes. The Switch just needs a weekly check-in or something? I don't know firsthand.

Yes, be sure to launch it once online before leaving. I play offline at work all the time. It just needs to check every 7 days.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Very useful visual guide for Puyo Puyo 2 menus!

I was poking around in the dark when I tried it out, heh.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So fun fact I've gotten wrecked by every game I launched in places I never would have been wrecked before. I meantioned breath of fire already. But also, I literally jumped into the first bullet bill in the first Mario level, I got smashed by a guard right when you enter the castle in LttP, I pulled an 8th in my first Mario Cart course due to a massive crash.

Where is 6-12 year old me when I need 'em

Edit: I did also crash in pilot wings but that just lines up with my expected experience

I actually think there is just a hair of input lag on the SNES games that's not game breaking by any means but it screws with your muscle memory.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Are you talking about the dungeon builder on Link's Awakening? Definitely not the same thing.

Still it would be nice to have a Zelda Maker

• Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So fun fact I've gotten wrecked by every game I launched in places I never would have been wrecked before. I meantioned breath of fire already. But also, I literally jumped into the first bullet bill in the first Mario level, I got smashed by a guard right when you enter the castle in LttP, I pulled an 8th in my first Mario Cart course due to a massive crash.

Edit: I did also crash in pilot wings but that just lines up with my expected experience

I actually think there is just a hair of input lag on the SNES games that's not game breaking by any means but it screws with your muscle memory.

I would argue any muscle memory is lost after the 25-30 years since these games were out.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

Oh well that is even more not the same thing, LOL.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I would argue any muscle memory is lost after the 25-30 years since these games were out.

Possibly, but I've played some of these recently and they feel just a teensy bit off on Switch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

I feel kind of insulted by that thing. I'm already hesitant to get the remake because it looks at a glance like it's a carbon copy of the original game with the screen transitions removed, and the big thing that's supposed to set the game apart is just exactly the same content copied over yet again.

• Options
    I think unless there are some significant surprises hidden in the game, a lot of people are going to be very disappointed by the length vs. price and get up in arms about it.

"Breath of the Wild lasted me 200 hours and this game lasted me 9 WTF"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »

I feel kind of insulted by that thing. I'm already hesitant to get the remake because it looks at a glance like it's a carbon copy of the original game with the screen transitions removed, and the big thing that's supposed to set the game apart is just exactly the same content copied over yet again.

I guess it scans differently for me because I never played the original (except for about 30 minutes on an emulator one time). So I'm stoked about the remake as a whole, and curious about the dungeon builder because maker tools in games are entirely my jam. Hopefully the dungeon builder is an outgrowth of the fact that they're working on a full Zelda Maker, as Brainleech mentions.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I forgot I even had muscles!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Retro consoles on CRT are the gold standard for input lag. Of course its going to be laggier on a modern system, especially one that refuses to deliver faster wired/connected speeds than its wireless. Not to mention the inherent lag added by any software emulation.

A lot of these games you can mostly compensate fine for a little input lag because what happens in the game is perfectly predictable. But if you trained yourself on CRT then yeah its going to be even harder, because you have to unlearn all your old timings before learning new ones.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Actually thinking on it more, Link's Awakening is probably going to have a Master Quest. Remixed or even completely new dungeons would be a welcome addition. And that's also the sort of content Nintendo tends not to reveal in advance, I think? I'm remembering Mario 3D Land/World's enormous postgame content which sort of amounted to a "master quest" for those games.

UncleSporky on
  • Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

Zelda game, random map, random item locations... uh...?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

The randomizer being asked for is a very specific sort of thing popularized among the speed run community and is designed for practice/demonstration of mastery of a game's systems and map.

A Zelda randomizer basically means it's the same exact game as before, but the item you get from any given chest is totally random (within parameters, to make sure a player can't get stuck). You might go to a lot of work in a dungeon to get the key to open the big chest and it turns out it's 20 rupees. Or conversely, you might open a random chest in a cave in the middle of nowhere and get the hookshot. Typically two or more players get together and race using the same random seed, to see who has a better strategy and mental map of the game for opening the highest number of chests the fastest and ultimately beating the game.

Like let's say you start playing normally and you beat a temple or two but dangit, you don't have the arrows yet and you really need those. One player might decide to head to death mountain and open all the chests they can find there, while another might bank on the idea that they're inside another dungeon and dive in, risking that they might not even be able to complete the dungeon and end up having to double back later. Maybe the ice dungeon has an unusually high number of chests in it so a lot of players gravitate there early. Lots of interesting details emerge and you get to see some cool traversal strategies.

Then there are the Zelda/Metroid randomizers where you might enter a cave outside Kakariko and find yourself in Magmoor Caverns, but it's ok because you got the Varia suit in Hyrule Castle from the chest beside Zelda.

• Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

The randomizer being asked for is a very specific sort of thing popularized among the speed run community and is designed for practice/demonstration of mastery of a game's systems and map.

A Zelda randomizer basically means it's the same exact game as before, but the item you get from any given chest is totally random (within parameters, to make sure a player can't get stuck). You might go to a lot of work in a dungeon to get the key to open the big chest and it turns out it's 20 rupees. Or conversely, you might open a random chest in a cave in the middle of nowhere and get the hookshot. Typically two or more players get together and race using the same random seed, to see who has a better strategy and mental map of the game for opening the highest number of chests the fastest and ultimately beating the game.

Like let's say you start playing normally and you beat a temple or two but dangit, you don't have the arrows yet and you really need those. One player might decide to head to death mountain and open all the chests they can find there, while another might bank on the idea that they're inside another dungeon and dive in, risking that they might not even be able to complete the dungeon and end up having to double back later. Maybe the ice dungeon has an unusually high number of chests in it so a lot of players gravitate there early. Lots of interesting details emerge and you get to see some cool traversal strategies.

Then there are the Zelda/Metroid randomizers where you might enter a cave outside Kakariko and find yourself in Magmoor Caverns, but it's ok because you got the Varia suit in Hyrule Castle from the chest beside Zelda.

Yes, but those randomizers do have settings where doors, etc. may not connect to the usual spot, which basically brings it to Cadence (aside from the dungeons, I'll grant, since those are entirely random - the overworld is just set tiles being shuffled around).

• Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

Yes, but those randomizers do have settings where doors, etc. may not connect to the usual spot, which basically brings it to Cadence (aside from the dungeons, I'll grant, since those are entirely random - the overworld is just set tiles being shuffled around).

Except the gameplay in Cadence is entirely different? It's not even the same genre really.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I’m trying to figure out what purpose that would serve but my imagination has been spoiled by years of video games.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    it doesn't look hinged. It looks permanently bent for ergonomic reasons.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I can't tell if Polaritie is just trolling us all. Cadence is a rhythm roguelite. it's an entirely different experience.

Figgy on
  • Options
    I'm betting the point has more to do with what kind of procedural generation is going on, not whether you are dancing or not.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it doesn't look hinged. It looks permanently bent for ergonomic reasons.

there's a part that looks sort of like it could be a hinge in the rail, but a hinge there would serve no purpose because it's attached to the rail on the switch which doesn't hinge so yeah I'm going with "more ergonomic joycon design"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hey the daemon x mahina character creature let's you select gender separately from physical characteristics and voices, which is a small detail, but pretty cool to see and I know it's been a thing talked about lately due to cyberpunk

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I mean technically it is a sort of Randomizer, but only in the sense all Roguelikes are randomizers.

The big difference is the Zelda randomizers reward knowledge of the game. The puzzle is figuring out what is available to you with the tools at your disposal. It'd be damn near impossible to complete unless you were already very familiar with the game (which is why I can't play the ALTTP Randomizer, I just haven't played it enough)

Cadence might have randomized items and maps, but it's ultimately in service to the gameplay loop. You don't need most items and what you do need is easy to find. In the Randomizers the item patching is the gameplay loop.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

That is... literally what a remake is supposed to be?

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

Except the gameplay in Cadence is entirely different? It's not even the same genre really.

Nah, CoH is legit a Zelda game.

• Options

RE/2Make is what a remake is supposed to be.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

RE/2Make is what a remake is supposed to be.

Do we know everything about the game yet or are you just assuming that it's 1 for 1 remake of the Gameboy game?

Not that it matters much to me. I've never played it beyond the first few areas. It's a new game to me!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    As someone whose favorite Zelda is Link's Awakening, I can't wait for this game, 1-to-1 remake or no. It looks so damn good.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but saying Cadence of Hyrule is a legit Zelda game is like saying Mario Party is a legit Super Mario Bros. game. Or that Metroid Prime Pinball is a legit Metroid game.

• Options

No, Cadence of Hyrule.

Nah, CoH is legit a Zelda game.

In the sense that it is a licensed use of the IP, sure. But you can't argue it's the same as if they made Zelda with randomized maps. It's completely different gameplay.

Hey, Samus is in Smash Bros. Does that make Smash Bros a Metroid game with combos?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but saying Cadence of Hyrule is a legit Zelda game is like saying Mario Party is a legit Super Mario Bros. game. Or that Metroid Prime Pinball is a legit Metroid game.

so it's all correct? :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png