As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I did throw these pics up on twitter a few weeks ago now, but I don't think I stuck them in here?

I have finished painting up every model for my AoS Slaanesh army, which I'm pretty pleased with, I was going to take them to some tournaments and see how I fared in the painting competitions, but... Well, maybe next year. This was a coincidental 4000 points on the nose until the latest GHB ruined that neatness, and getting them all painted also means that I have a backlog of 0 models, which is fun.

n2827mwvcrl4.jpg
    ljazmxcw42oq.jpg
    d2fvi441x7bb.jpg
    u9tw34dywfzi.jpg

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I want to do the blue contrast over black metal for my Necrons but I'm not sure it will look good on my night scythe. Kind of worried about those big flat surfaces.

Also might sry brush cool ranch from turbo dork or cobalt alchemy from scale 75 on the blue metallics.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Goddamn @Halos Nach Tariff that shit is amazing.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Good news! Finally got a lever thingy for my airbrush and it seems to be doing the job! The trigger now does its job from front to back.

Bad news: I'm still getting this strange sputtering when feeding more than air into the stream and still bubbling the cup when adding only air. Starting to think there's a clog or something in the nozzle since both things started happening the first time I swapped out the tip.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Good news! Finally got a lever thingy for my airbrush and it seems to be doing the job! The trigger now does its job from front to back.

Bad news: I'm still getting this strange sputtering when feeding more than air into the stream and still bubbling the cup when adding only air. Starting to think there's a clog or something in the nozzle since both things started happening the first time I swapped out the tip.

When you swapped the tip did you swap the needle as well? the inner tip and needle are usually a matched pair. And bubbles in the cup is usually a clog/tip/seal problem.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    One of my airbrushes is doing the same thing which is annoying as fuck cause I hard on cleaning my airbrushes after use.

I managed to put primer, a base cost, and a wash on two Necron Warriors without the intent of stripping the paint later. Really hope I can finally commit to a paint scheme.

New paint brushes usually some kind of wax or something (probably not wax) to keep the tip nice and pointed until purchased, what is the best way to get that off?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Goddamn @Halos Nach Tariff that shit is amazing.

Thank you! It's definitely the collection I'm proudest of so far.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    New paint brushes usually some kind of wax or something (probably not wax) to keep the tip nice and pointed until purchased, what is the best way to get that off?

Warm water should dissolve it. IIRC it's some kind of weak glue.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Warm water should dissolve it. IIRC it's some kind of weak glue.

Starch

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    RPG6fFj.jpg

I did me a Magus.

• Options
    Feeling pretty good so far.
    loQcYYw.jpg
    UUHu5sw.jpg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    RPG6fFj.jpg

I did me a Magus.
    How dare you ask for input on a detail on the backside and then not show the result in the end. :p

• Options
    I went with thunderhawk blue shaded with purple. You can see it a little :p

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

When you swapped the tip did you swap the needle as well? the inner tip and needle are usually a matched pair. And bubbles in the cup is usually a clog/tip/seal problem.

I only have one needle, but if you're talking about the outer nozzle and inner tip then yes I swapped them both. (I couldn't even get the two apart at that point.) I can only assume they no longer seal properly, though I didn't see any rubber O-rings even when I disassembled it for the very first time.

Next time I go shopping, would you recommend I pick up a pack of pipe cleaners? Q-tips just aren't doing the job in most spots.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Still need to dry brush the sand but I think it is coming along well.
    yf6ey4wh97k6.jpeg
    nykske688rkc.jpeg

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    I like that blue. Heck, I like the whole color combo. Nicely done.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea that color combo looks real good. Well done.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

I only have one needle, but if you're talking about the outer nozzle and inner tip then yes I swapped them both. (I couldn't even get the two apart at that point.) I can only assume they no longer seal properly, though I didn't see any rubber O-rings even when I disassembled it for the very first time.

Next time I go shopping, would you recommend I pick up a pack of pipe cleaners? Q-tips just aren't doing the job in most spots.

If the inner tip is a different size than the needle, that will cause problems. But something to clean out the inner tip, and or the rest of the airbrush should help too. Something like this should help clean out the inner tip. Pipe cleaners should work on the rest I think. I read somewhere you can use a certain wax to get a good seal on the inner tip and brush body too.

(This is all coming from a budding airbrusher who is learning the hobby as well, so take this all accordingly, I just do a lot of research considering I started with a $30 brush+compressor combo.)

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    @Stragint my brain insists that everything orange (except the gun barrel) is actually glowing. Well done! :biggrin:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Calica wrote: »
    @Stragint my brain insists that everything orange (except the gun barrel) is actually glowing. Well done! :biggrin:

Thank you! I was feeling a little unsure about it to be honest so I'm glad to know it is just me being too critical again.
    Watcher wrote: »
    I like that blue. Heck, I like the whole color combo. Nicely done.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea that color combo looks real good. Well done.

Thank you both! It was kind of a struggle to finally let myself go with this scheme since I liked so many different paint schemes.

I do potentially plan on mixing up the glow parts since I have 140 warrior. Was gonna do some with green, blue, and purple as well.

Last picture of this model, finally got the basing done.
    k70r91dvt7hl.jpeg

Stragint on

• Options
    All the glowy bits look awesome, but the eyes REALLY sell it. Like that is exceptionally good in my book.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    those Slannesh look awesome, but i wouild chew my own arm off, after painting the 10th model the same colors, thats some dedication to the craft man, well done.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I am finishing up my DI gravis captain and then I have 3 inceptors and a lt. And I'm done with Dark Imperium. Wow.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    This is the Space Wolf marine from the Space Marine Adventures boardgame. I had bought some of the Retributor shoulder pads, and helmet, and this is my first crack at a Retributor. I just Dullcoated the mini, painted a few highlights, and just tried to match the color as best I could to the mini. Far from perfect, but, good enough.
    w3vgcaea351n.png
    5vkg06azpyi3.png

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Like a fridge charging you with murderous intent

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Did some green glow tests on left over weapons. The green ink and tesseract glow look almost exactly the same.

a26hhp8ytz9m.jpeg

Stragint on

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Whatever #2 is looks way more glowy.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Whatever #2 is looks way more glowy.

That one is Vallejo fluorescent green. I like that one the most, just gotta do a few other tests with it to see how it looks on other surfaces but if it works how I won't then that is what I'm gonna use for my green glow.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The new citadel fluorescent green is really good for how little effort it takes thiugh

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, throw a blacklight on there and see how that makes a difference.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Tried doing something different for a blue and purple style glow. Not feeling it, might try to use blue and magenta fluorescent and see how that turns out. Only issue is big flat surfaces.

Might also just keep messing with this current attempt and trying different shades and mixes.

pp8oc9l15rk1.jpeg
    9qbvyic76xnl.jpeg

Stragint on

• Options
    I think the blue has potential. Thats a really solid vibrant blue.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's just too dark on the raised bits at the moment, the colour itself is pretty nice though.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular

So as some of you probably remember I used to be mmaaaaaaaaaaaaaad into Infinity, but I haven't played it for a few years. Well, new edition is out soon, so I figured I should paint a new army, so I've started working on my Japanese Secessionist Army with a couple of Keisotsu Butai. I love painting faces.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I literally just primed and started some Tunguska!

I concur on the painting faces also.

0vmyik3tfo7e.png

Lesson learned, don't upload pictures from phone, omghuge.

J on
  • Options
    Finished another Fortis Killteam. Not much different about them, except the sergeant has a stun-baton because power-swords aren't tecnho enough.
    retromarines_intercessors02.jpg

Also finished one of six Cyberbikes! I don't want any squatmarines in this army, so I'm having to come up with convincing alternatives.

retromarines_cyberbike_turn.gif

retromarines_cyberbike01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That does look pretty cool, where’d you get the arm/linkage to the pedals?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Parts from the centurion kit, and a frame from a droppod harness.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That makes about as much sense as is possible, for a group of buff guys who have access to skimmers still choosing to drive motorcycles~

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Was painting my reanimators today and I used white ink on the orb parts of the main body and I guess white ink cracks over larger surfaces which is kind of a bummer but I think I can recover. Might just use flat white from scale 75 for the other two reanimators.

I feel like the orange glow on the orbs and such is going to be a lot harder. I used inks for the Gauss flayer but those don't really stay in place so I might switch to normal paint though I did already use the orange ink on the reanimator I'm currently working on.

Stragint on