As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Oh boy! Today I discovered what happens when you don't shake your rattle can! Not like I don't have another half-hundred sprues left to try again on...

Also starting to get impatient to build the model I want to use this airbrush on. Perhaps I'll try again when my Battletech kickstarter models come in?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh I don't think I posted my last protect here. I learned a lot and this was my first big print/paint job. Really happy with how it turned out.

https://imgur.com/a/wTRl4mQ

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    revolting, I love it

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    This guy heard you were doing heresy without him and mom said you gotta let him play too:
    e6s3udehlxtr.jpg

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I haven't had time to pick up a brush in three-ish weeks... Apparently in that time all my skill has evaporated.

Finally had time to paint tonight and it just was not flowing. Air brush clogs, couldn't get proper consistency on my palette, questioning color selections. Just ugh.

Gonna try again tomorrow, and hopefully things click a bit better.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I haven't had time to pick up a brush in three-ish weeks... Apparently in that time all my skill has evaporated.

Finally had time to paint tonight and it just was not flowing. Air brush clogs, couldn't get proper consistency on my palette, questioning color selections. Just ugh.

Gonna try again tomorrow, and hopefully things click a bit better.

Don't feel so bad I did not paint anything from 2008 till last summer my skill did come back after some time
    Just the current stress of dealing with a certain person at home and the people at work has me torn about painting as I still need certain colors but the GW store is closed and the online store is out of certain paints
    I want to paint again since I did 20+ of my termgants and stopped because work just got to me for various things and has not let up

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    w0megm5ftn6b.jpg

Unsure of what to do with the tassley bit. Maybe gold and something greenish? I've got orange going on round front with the gemstones so that could be an option too.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Sniper elite is a game where you are a sniper in WW2, and has goofy physics and gory xray slow mo cams of you shooting nazis. There's a mission where you get to snipe hitler.

The board game for sniper elite, is going to come with a "Hitler shot in the balls" miniature.

Kind of super bad taste, I kind of want it.
    vqimnihqvczw4ngwe7rt.jpg

But then I have to explain why I have a hitler miniature on display.
    "Well you see, hes shot in the balls"
    "Do you think that explanation makes it better, or worse?"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think you would need to set up a diorama with another miniature obviously shooting him in the ballbag

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    ‘Why do you have a figure of Hitler really needing the toilet?’

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    ‘Why do you have a figure of Hitler really needing the toilet?’
    An homage to Robot Chicken.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    But then I have to explain why I have a hitler miniature on display.
    "Well you see, hes shot in the balls"
    "Do you think that explanation makes it better, or worse?"
    I mean... you have a proper bust with a a Nazi flag behind it, a scale model of the Reichstag, and an old train station sign reading 'Next Stop Treblinka' that's going to raise -questions-.

You have a bunch of WW2 miniatures, including that one of Hitler looking like someone just used him to kick a double field goal, it's going to be self-explanatory.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I would think actual nazis wouldn’t want something that makes hitler look “weak” but thankfully I ain’t exposed to that scene

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    ♫ Hitler has only got one ball… ♫
    It was a popular song during WWII, for those who don't know. The tune is the "Colonel Bogey March" which was famously whistled by the POWs in the opening scene of The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Not the best photos, but I've been on a painting tear the last few days.

First up some legion miniatures
    HkNsbbS.jpg
    ape9Vrp.jpg

I've nearly done 800 points of rebels and imperials, I'll take some better pictures once they're all done.

Also some 40k. I wanted to copy the really quick and easy scheme I've been using for stormtroopers onto these necrons and I'm fairly happy with the results so far.
    DmYIMsj.jpg
    KfcCZYJ.jpg
    OkQ6soo.jpg

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Getting kind of tired of texture paints for bases and wanna try some sand... Will sandy soil from the yard work, if I dry it out?

The other options are Hobby Lobby or driving ~40 minutes to the only LGS around me that's still open.

• Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    Getting kind of tired of texture paints for bases and wanna try some sand... Will sandy soil from the yard work, if I dry it out?

The other options are Hobby Lobby or driving ~40 minutes to the only LGS around me that's still open.

Use white glue not super glue

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You probably want to avoid fresh organic soil components for a bunch of reasons, mostly to do with microbial life, so washing and/or baking it would be a good idea first.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    In the painting demo they did today for the DOK warband for warhammer underworlds it is the thing about they way they do the flesh the way they do is kind of annoying as it does get the look way down the road
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ww1GBHqkKU
    But they also did the toothpaste hair as I still don't know if I want to do that on my dok

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    In the painting demo they did today for the DOK warband for warhammer underworlds it is the thing about they way they do the flesh the way they do is kind of annoying as it does get the look way down the road

But they also did the toothpaste hair as I still don't know if I want to do that on my dok

My plan is to paint them as from the realm of shadows; only using greyscale colors. (I may add one color for highlight, probably blood splatter, Sin City-style).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I painted a non gw thing
    l0vxuz3636ql.jpeg

Whover told me the Wrath of Kings pvc minis suck ass was right because these casts were dogshit.
    Deepmen are kinda weird and spindly and packed with vague detail in the concept art too so i hope the chunkier minis will be more fun to paint

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure @Dr_Keenbean has talked at length about how those casts are dogshit.

I had some better luck with mine, but they still weren't great.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Brainleech wrote: »

My plan is to paint them as from the realm of shadows; only using greyscale colors. (I may add one color for highlight, probably blood splatter, Sin City-style).

I did that with my Garrek’s! Definitely the best effort to impact ratio of anything I’ve painted.

lCS2N0H.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I painted a non gw thing
    l0vxuz3636ql.jpeg

Whover told me the Wrath of Kings pvc minis suck ass was right because these casts were dogshit.
    Deepmen are kinda weird and spindly and packed with vague detail in the concept art too so i hope the chunkier minis will be more fun to paint

Is it just me or do these guys embody Liefield-itis?
    Weird toeless symmetrical feet, attached to a body that gradually gains more detail as you reach the head, holding weapons in a way that occasionally screams “oh shit, I forgot they need a spear or something, I don’t know, stick it on somewhere.”

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "I mean, how often do you look at a man's shoes?"

• Options
    At least they don’t have a sword made of pouches.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I’ve almost finished painting my Underworld Nightvault set warbands.

Got hung up on the Briar Queen for a long time, as her paint scheme in my head was very distinct from her chain rasps, which made it so the warband didn’t look cohesive.

Eventually softened her colours with a white scar drybrush overcoat that seems to have helped.

Will post photos once I finish Varclav

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Got my artis opus brushes and 13k points worth of Necrons to paint. Would it still be good to have a shade brush and base brush for certain parts or should I be good with applying contrast and covering like Space Marine armor panels with this set I have?
    hqkasiupxg4m.jpeg
    wskwkwr7icjm.jpeg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Finished up my Underworlds Nighthaunt warband:
    zbvate0v27pt.jpeg
    To go with my Stormsire:
    9mncmqircs98.jpeg
    And my Ironjawz:
    vrosmc9obo4f.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    That's a great yellow on those orcs, love it!

• Options
    That's a great yellow on those orcs, love it!

Thanks, it’s an Averland Sunset base coat with a layer of Flash Gitz

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    This is my Judge Death for my Judges (Deathwatch) Kill Team. The shoulder pads aren't great, BUT, the wings (from a Night Lords helm) really do all the heavy lifting anyway. Pictures aren't great, either, but, get the point across.
    de4ww6p4yxnl.jpg
    0q41emzlnajh.jpg

• Options
    Smooshed some paint on a Ghoul King the other day:
    mwuczj71c0ja.jpg

A nice change of pace from painting Evil Tin Men. Hard to get a decent picture of the thing.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I painted a non gw thing
    l0vxuz3636ql.jpeg

I have found the smaller spindlier minis are kinda washed out on the detail, but all the bigger ones i have painted are freaking awesome. mainly poainting the Werewolves and deamons right now.
    well...when i do paint that is.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    zbvate0v27pt.jpeg
    To go with my Stormsire:
    9mncmqircs98.jpeg
    And my Ironjawz:
    vrosmc9obo4f.jpeg
    Might i suggest on the green stormcast in the 2nd picutre, doing something differnt with the symbol on his tabbard, my eye is just drasticly drawn to it, and feel it takes away from the overall quality of the model.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    zbvate0v27pt.jpeg
    To go with my Stormsire:
    9mncmqircs98.jpeg
    And my Ironjawz:
    vrosmc9obo4f.jpeg
    Might i suggest on the green stormcast in the 2nd picutre, doing something differnt with the symbol on his tabbard, my eye is just drasticly drawn to it, and feel it takes away from the overall quality of the model.

Are you sure that's not just because of the green background (as in, the tabard blends in but the symbol stands out)?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I painted a non gw thing
    l0vxuz3636ql.jpeg

I have found the smaller spindlier minis are kinda washed out on the detail, but all the bigger ones i have painted are freaking awesome. mainly poainting the Werewolves and deamons right now.
    well...when i do paint that is.

That's good to hear. Deepmen are not super great designs in the first place, so hoping the cooler minis are a bit nicer to paint when i get to them

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Just painting some random stuff from ebay until my Indomitus box shows up, these Rogue Trader models are so damn good, the amount of detail they can get on plastic minis nowadays is incredible

1oj5mk5h3i3l.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I love that Janus Drake model. I ordered one and he's hanging on my wall until my painting skills get a bit better (I pretty much just started painting, only finished 2 gretchin so far).

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Calica wrote: »
    zbvate0v27pt.jpeg
    To go with my Stormsire:
    9mncmqircs98.jpeg
    And my Ironjawz:
    vrosmc9obo4f.jpeg

Are you sure that's not just because of the green background (as in, the tabard blends in but the symbol stands out)?

Nope, nothing to do with the background, looked at it again, and its definitely that white, Im not suggesting getting rid of it all together but mute it if you can ? it just seems to pull my eyes to it every single time. I mean they all look great etc its just that one little thing thats standing out in that picture