Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Gilgamesh, from Civilisation VI

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Just posting my thoughts from the other thread:

Yeah, I don't trust any smash rumors. They have almost always been pure junk trash and completely wrong.

Also, for me, Doomguy would be the stupidest addition. I would legit rather have another Fire Emblem character.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Warcart is Steve's minecart but even stronger.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Ghandi. Ultimate is a nuke

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    No chance in hell, but Carmen Sandiego would be a fun surprise.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

If the Netflix show was still coming maybe, but I'm pretty sure that's all done now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Rockapella better be included.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It's Kazuya Mishima, from the Tekken series. Explainer video June 28.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Not overly excited about this reveal but I'm happy for fans of Tekken. Him dropping Kirby and Kirby just floating away was the funniest part of E3.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    CorranCorran VARegistered User regular
    Everything about that is great. Kirby's completely unconcerned about being held.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeah, I don't want to piss in anyone's cheerios, but I gotta say, very not a fan. I kinda like Smash for the ability to see charaters who aren't from fighting games fight, so I'm already a bit predisposed against fighting game characters as is, and then the fighting game character being from Tekken which is my least favorite big fighting game series, and then the Tekken character being Kazuma of all dudes who is kind of Captain Boring even among Tekken characters, it's pretty laser targeted to Thing Drascin Does Not Like!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean Tekken barely has non boring characters as is, but kazuya basically embodies all the most boring moves of Tekken into one character outside of devil mode.

I'm super bummed about this one but at least there is one more left. Surely the last one will seem way better with the wet fart of announcement kazuya is.

• Options
    Yeah. At least they could have gone with Heihachi and have a dude who doesn't look like shirtless Ryu. Or maybe they were trying to avoid comparisons with Sony Smash Bros.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The thing is, I once looked up Heihachi's moveset from Tekken 7 on YouTube, and while they all had wonderful martial-artsy names, they were basically:

- Punch the guy
    - Punch the guy a lot
    - Punch the guy, then kick him
    - Punch the guy, then kick him, then punch him
    - Grab the guy, then punch him

And so on. Like literally nothing that suggested a B-move. Kazuya at least has lasers and wings by way of the devil form.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Ultimate is supposed to be the biggest celebration of the history of gaming or however Sakurai said it back in the day; I'm perfectly happy for them to be checking off all the other big fighting game franchises to get that rep in here even if I have zero attachment to them myself.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Kazuya's not a character I personally wanted, but it's still pretty rad to see the leads from three of the most legendary fighting games sharing the same stage. And I'm impressed by how well they've replicated Kazuya's moveset.

Hopefully they go ham with the music. Tekken has some of my all time favourite BGMS.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Tekken has a very deep well of good vgm to draw from and I am excited for it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised that they announced a Tekken character even though the Switch doesn't have a Tekken game. Though I guess that probably isn't a requirement.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    The thing is, I once looked up Heihachi's moveset from Tekken 7 on YouTube, and while they all had wonderful martial-artsy names, they were basically:

- Punch the guy
    - Punch the guy a lot
    - Punch the guy, then kick him
    - Punch the guy, then kick him, then punch him
    - Grab the guy, then punch him

And so on. Like literally nothing that suggested a B-move. Kazuya at least has lasers and wings by way of the devil form.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm surprised that they announced a Tekken character even though the Switch doesn't have a Tekken game. Though I guess that probably isn't a requirement.

Nintendo has the only Tekken game that matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47JTl3pst4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpr_hhZbcw

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's Kazuya Mishima, from the Tekken series. Explainer video June 28.

Well, I've said before that I felt Bandai Namco deserved some rep for their modern stuff (because other than Championship Edition remakes of the original, what have they done with Pac-Man lately), but I still feel like it should've been Yoshimitsu to cover both Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Edit: I mean, at least Yoshi solves the 'boring Tekken character' problem. Check out his latest two appearances;
    8g15ri0v4fc9.jpg
    1nyb66yiz9hj.jpg
    And then browse through all the other looks he's had in Tekken (spoilered to save scrolling):
    c6ftque9nr18.jpg
    y2fuw88xxjdj.jpg
    i3lt22prc12b.jpg
    kaewdcobt4px.jpg
    5ry2bidnr2ud.jpg
    ny8k0t1bnlf5.jpg
    1cm2rhtzkgdi.jpg
    vdo4rt3ykd7q.jpg
    14fene6yrx14.jpg
    ub4ln7xu1mad.jpg
    jylo0nuv1nc2.jpg
    ...and yes, that is an official Cardboard Tube Samurai skin he had in Tekken 6.

Meanwhile, his previous Soul Calibur appearances were a little more conservative, but there's still some memorable stuff here:
    bysi10ay8yge.jpg
    673i7bfepfjs.jpg
    5j8drxq928ao.jpg
    dxkdahgwxbiq.jpg
    1is1dd6kt741.jpg
    rrlwau0zdpde.jpg
    y3rwt4drpnet.jpg
    6objyjxp4xnt.jpg
    642h4vvzjaag.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I see your point, but I’m not sure another sword character would have gone over that well.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I see your point, but I’m not sure another sword character would have gone over that well.

Look, let's be honest

In Smash, it's better to be hated than forgotten

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

Look, let's be honest

In Smash, it's better to be hated than forgotten

I dont know Tekken but that dude is like the big bad.
    He was so evil his dad planet hulked him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    His dad is ALSO the big bad

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Part of why he becomes the big bad is his dad threw him off a cliff when he was a kid, because "lol, get strong and climb back up, literal child!"

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    What I need to know is if he will have a carry grab like DK, or a special taunt KO like Luigi to drop people off the edge.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    There are plenty of fans of Tekken out there, and the series has long been a pillar in fighting game history. I can't really find a reason why it shouldn't be represented in Ultimate. Sakurai has already shown that he has a deep love for the history of fighting games, so I'm sure he was super excited for this addition.

I look forward to the deep look he makes. I have no interest in Terry, yet he is really fun to play, so we'll see. I'm super happy for fans of the Tekken franchise though.

Not every character has to be for me. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FEmotionalSolidCrocodile-size_restricted.gif&key=522baf40bd3911e08d854040d3dc5c07

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Speculation: Heihachi was considered as a playable character, but ultimately passed over because of the aforementioned incompatibility with the Smash paradigm. However, you can see him standing up and reacting to the player in Kazuya's trailer. Characters who only punch and kick don't make good playable Smash characters, but might Heihachi take the field as a stage boss / arena hazard?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Speculation: Heihachi was considered as a playable character, but ultimately passed over because of the aforementioned incompatibility with the Smash paradigm. However, you can see him standing up and reacting to the player in Kazuya's trailer. Characters who only punch and kick don't make good playable Smash characters, but might Heihachi take the field as a stage boss / arena hazard?

99% sure he’s a visual part of the stage, but not a hazard.

The stages for Joker, Banjo, Hero, Terry, Byleth, and I think Pyra (but mostly those first 5) had characters from the respective games appear in the background to cheer on the battle, or just pose. My guess is that Kazuya’s stage will similarly have a bunch of Tekken characters appear in the background.

I think that Heihachi standing up and posing is just part of his normal animation for the stage.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    assist trophy??

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    With all the chracters tekken has it's kinda hard to guess who's gonna be in the spirit board probaly most of the mishima/kazama family membership plus perhaps xiaoyu,alisa and nina. devil kazuya seems a the most likely choice for a legend spirit besides heihachi

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nina/ZSS seems like a given

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Yoshi/Yoshimitsu (Yoshi has a sword).

• Options
    Yoshi/Yoshimitsu (Yoshi has a sword).

Mii Swordfighter with Takamaru outfit and Wooly Yoshi hat.

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    assist trophy??

You know, I was thinking it would be cool if one of the final Smash updates brings a bunch of assist trophies based on DLC characters. But that probably won't happen.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Nina/ZSS seems like a given

I'm sure that fanfic is out there sonewhere.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.