As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    The best secret identity pitch I've ever seen is the idea that everyone in their home city knows their big hero's secret identity and everyone just...pretends they don't because they like them a lot and they don't want to hurt their feelings. Mostly because it's a fun tweak to an old superhero trope that's also kind of heartwarming and fun?

carefully, he's a hero

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Latest Doom Patrol seems *very* inspired by Re:Boot, including the 90s computer generated graphics. This keeps being a fun series.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya I was little sad on the reveal of Clark that
    Jimmy was told by Lois and didn't figure it out in the first week and never said anything to be nice

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    someone gifted me the first issue of far sector and it's pretty great; I like the art and the story seems like it has some fun hooks

only now I'm irritated because there's only the one issue so far and it's a monthly? So it's gonna be like a million years before there's a trade of it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ya I was little sad on the reveal of Clark that
    Jimmy was told by Lois and didn't figure it out in the first week and never said anything to be nice
    Jimmy is busy, what with turning into turtle monsters, marrying gorillas, and also winning Pulitzers in photography covering wars, you know

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    someone gifted me the first issue of far sector and it's pretty great; I like the art and the story seems like it has some fun hooks

only now I'm irritated because there's only the one issue so far and it's a monthly? So it's gonna be like a million years before there's a trade of it

2nd issue came out this week.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Batman would be happy for his best friend

Happy that people will want to kill his wife? I feel like Batman would see the downside to this speech because he's... Batman.

Jesus

Spider-Man revealed his identity and the very next storyline was someone killing Aunt May. This is like... a known thing.

This is fiction

Bendis is writing an inspirational story

Weirdly, he can just, yknow, not have someone murder lois lane, because who the fuck wants that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I, for one, want the scene where Superman has to go to Mr. Myzliptx and sell his marriage to resurrect Lois Lane

That way he'll be single and lonely and I'll be able to relate to him more

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Just saw a commercial for Wonder Woman 1984 (it's just a shorter version of the trailer, even telling you to check it out on YouTube)

The music slaps so hard

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Just saw a commercial for Wonder Woman 1984 (it's just a shorter version of the trailer, even telling you to check it out on YouTube)

The music slaps so hard

That arrangement of Blue Monday does a ton of heavy lifting for that trailer.

I need to see if I can find the music by itself somewhere, since I've found myself putting the trailer on again a few times just to hear it.

fake edit: It's on YouTube!! https://youtu.be/lEMIKBiDHeo

Also on Spotify. Fuck yeah.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The best secret identity pitch I've ever seen is the idea that everyone in their home city knows their big hero's secret identity and everyone just...pretends they don't because they like them a lot and they don't want to hurt their feelings. Mostly because it's a fun tweak to an old superhero trope that's also kind of heartwarming and fun?

Busiek did an issue of ASTRO CITY (Local Heroes arc) about exactly this. It was well done!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »
    you would think "these are people intimately close to superman" is deterrent enough. every pickpocket on the planet is going to know who lois is and not to touch her for fear of pissing off the unkillable space hercules

I mean, if I were a pickpocket, I would be infinitely more scared of Lois fucking Lane.

Naturally.
    Superman doesn't have pockets. The two of you are just existing in completely different worlds.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Strange Adventures is launching in March, with some new preview art and a more concrete idea of what the book will be about having been revealed:
    5ibxkkrdeegf.jpg
    gjjootzl0flh.jpg
    893eihaykkb8.jpg
    cfox6tjw0dns.jpg
    “Adam Strange is one of a long line of characters—like Tarzan and Flash Gordon, stolid men with dimpled chins who thrive in ‘foreign lands’—who stand in as a metaphor for a 19th century European dream of colonialism,” said King. “Of course, colonialism was nothing like this dream, and it’s that contrast that interests me: the bloody gap between the myth and the reality.”

The book will follow two timelines, with Shaner seemingly covering the past and Gerads the present. King also added that the core plot hook is going to be decisions Adam previously made in defense of Rann coming back to haunt him years later.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    March solicits are out.

Robin is getting an 80th anniversary special, covering all Robins through the years and featuring creators returning to their Robin. Judd Winick writing a Jason Todd tale, King and Seely on a new Grayson adventure. Sadly, this includes Chuck Dixon, whose inclusion makes sense but also sucks.

It sounds like Aqualad, Sideways, Spoiler and Arrowette are all joining Young Justice as the solicit has no mention of a ONE OF THESE HEROES WILL JOIN THE TEAM and instead mentions them as back-up for YJ and part of the new Young Justice.

The Batman Who Laughs v. Luthor event mini thing is ending with BWL raising an army of 666 corrupted heroes which would be fun if the character was at all enjoyable at this point.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wait

blank where is my regular jarrro update

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I'm not picking up Justice League anymore cause I had to trim my pull list!

But I imagine he will show up in whatever the 2020 event Scott Snyder has been very unsubtly teasing for a while is

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    this is completely unacceptable

first morbius, now this

how can i ever trust you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I was never going to buy Morbius!!!

You got fool visions in your head!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i refuse to accept that you would not buy a morbius, the living vampire ongoing

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2019

But I imagine he will show up in whatever the 2020 event Scott Snyder has been very unsubtly teasing for a while is

I'm guessing it's gonna be a Crisis event. One of the Tales of the Dark Multiverse issues mentioned an upcoming Crisis, and it'd make sense what with all the Crisis stuff going on

Edit: it was the Knightfall one that I think was Snyder and Tynion

Garlic Bread on
  • Options

I'm guessing it's gonna be a Crisis event. One of the Tales of the Dark Multiverse issues mentioned an upcoming Crisis, and it'd make sense what with all the Crisis stuff going on
    Honestly a full on Crisis on Infinite Earths (2020) wouldn't shock me, ala Secret Wars (2015)

The name is more relevant than ever with the Arrowverse and if they are really pushing for a huge shift with their next relaunch CoiE has a pretty huge pedigree of doing that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    This karaoke scene in Titans S2 is the closest the show has gotten in tricking me into liking Hawk and Dove

Unfortunately it's in an episode where it has to compete with Gar and Connor hanging around an empty Titans Tower

• Options
    edited December 2019
    That's actually Hawk singing, too. I didn't know he was a singer

Also, the show loves showing Superboy's butt (it's a good butt)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That's actually Hawk singing, too. I didn't know he was a singer

Also, the show loves showing Superboy's butt (it's a good butt)

I thought it might be

His singing voice sounds so different from his speaking voice

It felt like one of those things that it had to be real because nobody would fake it that poorly

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Busiek did an issue of ASTRO CITY (Local Heroes arc) about exactly this. It was well done!

Astro City is a series I've needed to read for a while, I should get on that

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    XUcKANG.jpg

The cover for March's Action Comics is a bit rough.

• Options
    Well yeah, it's JRjr

• Options
    I like JRJR half the time and yeah that's pretty goddamn bad

Dude has been drawing comics for like 40 years now, I have to imagine it ain't easy on the hands

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    syr43z12k28i.png

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    syr43z12k28i.png

Cats (2019)

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    So we dont have an indie comic thread, but tmnt had their 100th issue this week, and it was great, but more importantly

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12/12/eastman-and-lairds-tmnt-the-last-ronin-comic-will-be-an-elseworlds-type-story-set-sometime-in-the-future/

FUCKING LAIRD AND EASTMAN FOR ONE LAST RIDE BAYBEES

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    syr43z12k28i.png

70489n137brp.png

• Options

Holy crap

I mean its all bad but that last bit is BANANAS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jesus

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Guess Im not buying DC universe for next month.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yeesh

Has cobblepot always been Jewish? Or is that just a thing the show came up with?

Either way yeesh

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think it's something that they came up with.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Holy crap

I mean its all bad but that last bit is BANANAS

It's his nephew and his sister, there's no mention in the episode that Penguin is Jewish, and his sister is going to look like him. She's also the nicest character in the episode. Also, ugly? I mean it's all subjective but she's ugly because she is fat apparently as she has no distinguishing features besides her size that would define her as ugly.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Isn't the stereotype that Jews are wealthy but stingy? Why would they be giving away money? Given that the very next scene is Harley and Ivy eating a Joshua themed cake while Harley wears a Joshua themed t-shirt, wouldn't it make more sense that the party favors include the recently revealed Joshua Bucks? Penguin went to all that trouble of setting up Joshua's first heist as part of him becoming a man, complete with a pile of fake currency, and the Bar Mitzvah is all about celebrating his becoming a man. Wouldn't the party favors reflect that?

Even before I'd given this any consideration and took the money bags at face value, I just associated them with Penguin being a successful crime lord.

This Raph person seems like a random internet goose looking to be outraged. He admits that he hasn't seen the episode ("why Harley points this out, I don't really care to know") and he's making some really tenuous connections. Like, oh no, the 13 year-old boy is wimpy, has never fingered a girl, and wants a gift that will make him feel more masculine. That must be antisemitism! Or it's just a riff on 13 year-old boys...

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Isn't the stereotype that Jews are wealthy but stingy? Why would they be giving away money? Given that the very next scene is Harley and Ivy eating a Joshua themed cake while Harley wears a Joshua themed t-shirt, wouldn't it make more sense that the party favors include the recently revealed Joshua Bucks? Penguin went to all that trouble of setting up Joshua's first heist as part of him becoming a man, complete with a pile of fake currency, and the Bar Mitzvah is all about celebrating his becoming a man. Wouldn't the party favors reflect that?

Even before I'd given this any consideration and took the money bags at face value, I just associated them with Penguin being a successful crime lord.

This Raph person seems like a random internet goose looking to be outraged. He admits that he hasn't seen the episode ("why Harley points this out, I don't really care to know") and he's making some really tenuous connections. Like, oh no, the 13 year-old boy is wimpy, has never fingered a girl, and wants a gift that will make him feel more masculine. That must be antisemitism! Or it's just a riff on 13 year-old boys...

Anti-Semites think it’s anti-Semitic. I don’t feel like I’m capable of making that determination but if your show makes anti-Semites think you are on their side you should at least seriously reconsider what you’re doing.

Quire.jpg