Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    hey comics thread, what's the good horror that's come out over the last few years. got a secret santa who grew up with the swamp things and constantines, still a big steven king fan, want to tap into that and show him some of what he's missed

I dunno if it fits the bill, but Afterlife with Archie is something I reread every Halloween

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Locke and Key!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Gideon Falls is a good horror comic by Image, but it's still ongoing (3 trades out so far).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    BC is reporting that the writer of the new Batman relaunch coming in 2020 will be John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Undercover Brother, The American Way), who was working on The Untold History of the DCU previously with the company.

That would be a pretty fuckin big swing, I'm game

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hey comics thread, what's the good horror that's come out over the last few years. got a secret santa who grew up with the swamp things and constantines, still a big steven king fan, want to tap into that and show him some of what he's missed

Immortal Hulk.

• Options
    Superman #18, the secret identity reveal issue, came out today and it is one of my favorite pieces of work from Bendis and Reis, ever, and the absolute best part of his Superman run.

Sorry to link my own tweet:
    I absolutely cried while reading it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The Batman's Grave #3

04i95fnbbgq2.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that there is a Warren Ellis book

• Options
    Its very good!

Ellis has hit a nice groove for a few years after being in a bit of a rut in his pre-Moon Knight period

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, that there is a Warren Ellis book

I'm not a big Ellis fan at all, but he writes a good sassy Alfred

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Superman #18, the secret identity reveal issue, came out today and it is one of my favorite pieces of work from Bendis and Reis, ever, and the absolute best part of his Superman run.

I didn't cry, but that "Both parts of myself" speaks pretty directly to me and I imagine a lot of others.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Would Batman be smiling though? I imagine he'd be consumed with worry about the consequences of doing this.

• Options
    Batman would be happy for his best friend

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Happy that people will want to kill his wife? I feel like Batman would see the downside to this speech because he's... Batman.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Happy that people will want to kill his wife? I feel like Batman would see the downside to this speech because he's... Batman.

Jesus

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Jesus

Spider-Man revealed his identity and the very next storyline was someone killing Aunt May. This is like... a known thing.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It's not like people weren't already trying to kill Lois Lane, this whole line of questioning is addressed in the speech in the issue. Everybody already knows Superman and Lois Lane are close. And Lois gets into plenty of trouble on her own. Letting everyone know she's married to Superman isn't really changing the equation all that much.

Also: they fucking don't have to do a "people try to kill Lois," story.

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    It's not like people weren't already trying to kill Lois Lane, this whole line of questioning is addressed in the speech in the issue. Everybody already knows Superman and Lois Lane are close. And Lois gets into plenty of trouble on her own. Letting everyone know she's married to Superman isn't really changing the equation all that much.

Also: they fucking don't have to do a "people try to kill Lois," story.

I feel like saying "hi gang, this is Superman's work place and the names of all of his closest friends and family" and then acting like no villains would immediately try to act on that information is extremely ridiculous?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He literally just said people were already doing that
    There is literally no change in Lois or Jimmy or anyone else's life

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    He literally just said people were already doing that
    There is literally no change in Lois or Jimmy or anyone else's life

I literally disagree. Knowing that Lois and Superman are colleagues is quite different from that she's his wife and they have a kid. Orders of magnitude different. And "the Daily Planet likes Superman" is very different from "he's worked there for years and is friends with most of the people there."

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    "Of course, it was about protecting those around me, but everyone in Clark Kent's life slowly became the real people in Superman's life.

Everyone knows my friends and family and have for a long time."

They may not have known exactly why those people were close to Superman, but they knew they were close.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Also it's easy, those things don't happen because you don't write a story about it because honestly who wants that

• Options
    And next, Batman can put the Batcave on Google Maps and nothing will happen as a result of that.

I agree the natural consequences are unpleasant and not what I want out of the story. But it will also snap my suspension of disbelief very badly if none of the horrible scumbags in the DC Universe think this is VERY important and meaningful information to have and to act on.

• Options
    Re: Lois

This is also a culmination of the Lois Lane comic that involves people seeing a photo of Lois kissing Superman

The Superman issue is 100% more a coming out story than an "outing" story if you will. And as a queer non-binary person it was particularly affecting and well done

• Options

Would Batman be smiling though? I imagine he'd be consumed with worry about the consequences of doing this.

This week's Detective Comics has a kid saying to Batman "I'm sorry... Superman is my favorite superhero" and Batman responds with "I'll let you in on a secret... He's mine too"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    We had a whole miniseries about this some years back. Something about a crisis (it's always a crisis) of identity...?

• Options
    And next, Batman can put the Batcave on Google Maps and nothing will happen as a result of that.

I agree the natural consequences are unpleasant and not what I want out of the story. But it will also snap my suspension of disbelief very badly if none of the horrible scumbags in the DC Universe think this is VERY important and meaningful information to have and to act on.

The issue ends with
    the Legion of Doom, with Lex reverting from his Apex Lex look to his human look and Brainiac saying "How could you of all people not have seen this?"

So yeah, it'll be addressed by Superman's enemies right quick

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I’ve had a head canon for awhile that Lex has known for years and doesn’t act on it because in his view murdering Superman’s attachments would just strip away the parts that make him weak.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Lex might not, but the Infamous worldline suggests nastier possibilities. If the book just doesn't go "and everything worked out great" then I'm fine with it.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Personally, I would not try to piss Superman off

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Personally, I would not try to piss Superman off

Right? I don’t know why you would murder Lois unless you were Joker stupid. Kidnap maybe but kill? Nah never I like my Supermen with a moral compass thank you very much.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    well, judging by every elseworlds where it's happened, the reason you kill lois lane is so superman can date wonder woman

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    well, judging by every elseworlds where it's happened, the reason you kill lois lane is so superman can date wonder woman

Alright shipping has gone too far.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    now it's gone too far?

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    you would think "these are people intimately close to superman" is deterrent enough. every pickpocket on the planet is going to know who lois is and not to touch her for fear of pissing off the unkillable space hercules

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    people all hacking clark kent's outlook calendar and planning crimes around it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    god imagine this during the seventies when clark did tv news. petty criminals trying to time their bank heists to end before sports and weather.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    The best secret identity pitch I've ever seen is the idea that everyone in their home city knows their big hero's secret identity and everyone just...pretends they don't because they like them a lot and they don't want to hurt their feelings. Mostly because it's a fun tweak to an old superhero trope that's also kind of heartwarming and fun?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    you would think "these are people intimately close to superman" is deterrent enough. every pickpocket on the planet is going to know who lois is and not to touch her for fear of pissing off the unkillable space hercules

I mean, if I were a pickpocket, I would be infinitely more scared of Lois fucking Lane.