As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hail does enable the use of Aurora Veil, which is a combined Reflect and Light Screen.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Hail makes Blizzard 100% accurate too, I think, unless I'm misremembering.

Yes! I thought of this while I was typing but I guess it never made it to my fingers. That was the one reason Glaceon ever saw a lick of comp play (in... trick room hail teams. Props to whoever jumped through that many hoops to use a cute fox.)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    If you see a greedent in the opponents team dont treat it lightly. Been seeing a lot of people messing around with it as a surprise belly drum squirrel sweeper.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    PSA: raid Ditto *can* transform into the NPC pokemon. So bringing Eternatus/doggos does not prevent it becoming something else.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hmmmm. If anyone has any extra Beast balls laying around, I'd love a trade for something....I have a few 5IV mons, and a few 6IV mons, some with hidden abilities or egg moves

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Or spare breedjects of any of these pokemon in a beast ball:

Flygon, Duraludon, Noivern, Haxorus

• Options
    OldSundownOldSundown Registered User regular
    I'm taking a break from the hunt for a 5 IV Ditto. So grueling. Could anyone help a brother out and hook me up with a Larvitar? I'm going to start breeding with some of these 4IV ones and hope for the best.

Switch Friend Code: SW 4430 4850 6236
  • Options
    taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    OldSundown wrote: »
    I'm taking a break from the hunt for a 5 IV Ditto. So grueling. Could anyone help a brother out and hook me up with a Larvitar? I'm going to start breeding with some of these 4IV ones and hope for the best.

Whats your friend code? Ill breed you one when I get home and send it over, Im out of the office in another 15mins

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Anyone around for a quick 5 star G Snorlax raid? I can just post the link code, right?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Anyone around for a quick 5 star G Snorlax raid? I can just post the link code, right?

No, for raids you need to be friends for it to show up. Codes there are for keeping people out rather than letting them in.

Yes it's confusing that codes work completely differently for raids and trades.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Man, once you reach Master Ball tier in Battle Tower some weird shit starts going down.
    Specifically, the ability for generic trainers to Dynamax. Often on their lead-off. Not sure I'm ever going to get used to that...

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular

No, for raids you need to be friends for it to show up. Codes there are for keeping people out rather than letting them in.

If only rando raids worked and I could fill a 5 star raid but just being online and inviting whoever. Grr.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I still don't understand how the "Reload Stickers" button works. Sometimes it never appears at all during a play session. One time, it appeared twice in a row. Literally. I pushed it, and then there it was, ready to be pushed again.

Why isn't this button there always? If they want to protect their servers from spammy requests, just put like a 30 second cooldown on the button. But seriously. That button needs to exist like all the time because their online multiplayer experience is sooooooooooooooooo bad. So so very bad.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

If only rando raids worked and I could fill a 5 star raid but just being online and inviting whoever. Grr.

I mean, a maxxed Eternatus and ONE random are enough to get 5* Snorlaxes
    and I always get ONE random on my raids

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It might just be me, but I have seen an improvement on the Online System over the past week or so. Last week, Stickers never worked for me and having someone join a raid that I posted was extremely rare. Last day or two, stickers have worked great like 75% of the time and I haven't had much issue getting people into my raids.

And yeah, a maxxed Eternatus should be able to handle 5* Snorlax with one other rando, or even by yourself if you get decent NPCs.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So apparently there's yet another semi-exploit with the raids that people have figured out, in case you want to hunt for gigantamax shinies of the current promoted pool.
    Basically, it's a lie that there's only two kinds of beams. There's the red beam for the common raids specific to that den, the purple beam for rare raids specific to that den, and a... red beam completely indistinguishable from the first red beam for the pool of only the currently promoted raids which can appear at any den, which is presently things like Snorlax, Butterfree, and Centiskorch/Corviknight or Sandaconda/Dreadnaw depending on Sword/Shield. This third "promoted pokemon" pool also has the non-GMax versions of things, so you can be getting Snorlaxes and whatnot in places you shouldn't normally see them. But once you have this third type of beam, if you do the change-date trick, despite appearing to be a normal common raid, it only rerolls based on the pool of promoted stuff, not as if it's a common raid like it appears to be.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I had a rando in a raid the other day with a Shiny GMax Charizard. I was pretty jelly. I have a feeling it was probably either hacked or exploited though.

• Options
    Also, movesets in the battle tower are soooooooooo annoying, everyone has some sort of Protect and "goes first" moves. And the third Leon battle crushed my maxed out Dracovish/Eternatus/Gigantorlax team.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Also, movesets in the battle tower are soooooooooo annoying, everyone has some sort of Protect and "goes first" moves. And the third Leon battle crushed my maxed out Dracovish/Eternatus/Gigantorlax team.

Ran into a Protect/Dive Lanturn yesterday. That was super annoying.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

It's supposed to be ramping you up into competitive play, so the AI starts pulling out the sort of shenanigans that competitive players use.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Does the battle tower have an endpoint or is it endless?

I've just been focusing on filling out my Dex but I might go back for the challenge there if there's point where you could say you've "beat" it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Does the battle tower have an endpoint or is it endless?

I've just been focusing on filling out my Dex but I might go back for the challenge there if there's point where you could say you've "beat" it.

There's a Max rank. Rank 12 I believe. I assume that things just stop changing at that point. It's where I stopped and called it 'won.' Leon gives you a special uniform for winning there as well.

I nearly solo'ed it with a choice scarf Strong Jaw Dracovish. Lost a couple times to focus sash-counter shenanigans, but that thing tears through everything like a hot knife through butter, and an eviolite corsola took care of whatever it didn't one-shot right out of the gate.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

The worst are the OHKO moves

It's just bleh

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I had a rando in a raid the other day with a Shiny GMax Charizard. I was pretty jelly. I have a feeling it was probably either hacked or exploited though.

There's a giant SwSh discord where people who reset for shiny gmaxes will keep reopening the lobby for hours to let people in and try to catch it, because one of the exploits is you can exit the game after defeating it and the beam won't disappear--but everyone else who beat it will still get a throw. That way you can set up an conveyor belt of shinies.

Of course, there's like 50k people on it so they do it with queues that fill up in half a second, and you've got to deal with the bad odds of getting one chance to catch someone else's gmax. But it's out there and being done.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I mean if you think some of the tactics the battle tower uses are annoying id stay away from online. Toxic stall.... or Substitute disable stall.... Prankster Whimsicots.... People online will break your spirit for fun.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    oh yeah, I'll never get anywhere near online battles.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    tbf, even if you don't want to care about them, I'd suggest doing at least one battle in the ranked VS section to make yourself eligible for their seasonal rewards, which baseline gets you BP and bottle caps, though that has limited value if you're not going all in but you do need a decent amount to buy the BP items

• Options
    There's a part of me that wants to play competitive and get really good, play a ton of matches, see all the dirty shenanigans people pull and learn to counter and anticipate all of it. I want to be the best there ever was. But then the realistic side of me knows I don't have the time or patience for that. I play too many different games to invest that kind of time. Plus, as a general rule of thumb, I have very little patience for the cheapness and dirty play that accompanies PVP in pretty much any game. People play to win and I understand that intellectually. But part of me hates it.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    There's a part of me that wants to play competitive and get really good, play a ton of matches, see all the dirty shenanigans people pull and learn to counter and anticipate all of it. I want to be the best there ever was. But then the realistic side of me knows I don't have the time or patience for that. I play too many different games to invest that kind of time. Plus, as a general rule of thumb, I have very little patience for the cheapness and dirty play that accompanies PVP in pretty much any game. People play to win and I understand that intellectually. But part of me hates it.

I will say that when you even dip your toe into competitive, you end up appreciating the games on a whole different level. It's what really makes you realize how much potential depth there actually can be to Pokemon.

• Options
    Oh, I've done a bit of toe dipping. I played a few of the themed PVP events in Sun/Moon. Like the lightweights one they did, where you weren't allowed to use anything over a certain weight. And I did a couple of their other themed battles. They were a lot of fun.

I enjoy theorycrafting and team building. What I don't like is losing to some sort of wacky nonsense that I was unprepared for. And that's where PVP starts to fall apart for me.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    all of my comments come from trying out rentals from people who i assume know what they're doing,

but like, it's super cool to see a bunch of useless moves be actual real staples and made me appreciate a lot of things I'd always just try to overwrite as quickly as possible playing the stories

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    One of my favorite things about comp is that if you use off-meta Pokemon, you can still do quite well so long as you know how the game mechanics work. I have a mono-poison team that I've run with on Pokemon Showdown that does rather well in OU, despite most of the Pokemon definitely not being in the OU meta. I'm kinda sad that some staples of that team are not available in Sword/Shield (Nidoking and Venomoth especially) but I am glad for a few new friends to play around with like G-Weezing and Toxtricity.

• Options
    One thing I do really like about Sword/Shield is that they have at least made an attempt to raise awareness of some of that depth.

For example, making Raihan a weather user means fighting him is different from your average gym challenge. And a lot of players take advantage of weather in their online teams. So that's a nice window they put in. Likewise, I think it's really cool that they put a rain team in the list of rentable teams. That's nice for giving people a chance to try a team for themselves that takes advantage of weather.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    This sounds like as good an excuse as any to post some of my favorite online play moments!

- My 0 Speed IV Escavalier forces the opponent's Mewtwo to switch-in via Red Card and get OHKO'd by Mega Horn.
    - My Milotic burns the opponent's Dragonite with Scald, weathers multiple Thunder Punches with Recover, then finishes it off with Blizzard.
    - My Heliolisk outspeeds the opponent's Garchomp and delivers a OHKO with Hyper Beam.

• Options
    One of my fav things they did this gen is the gmax changes. The gmax powers, immunity to interrupts, and such has added a lot more great moments to me than megas did. I know this is a big point of contention but I’ve been enjoying it a lot.

That and intimidate nerfs because screw intimidate.

• Options
    Hmmm, I can't really find an answer to this in the Googles. Does anyone know if Mints affect what flavors a pokemon likes? Or is that immutable?

• Options
    OldSundown wrote: »
    Hmmm, I can't really find an answer to this in the Googles. Does anyone know if Mints affect what flavors a pokemon likes? Or is that immutable?

https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/naturechanging.shtml

Looks like they are like hyper training.

"There is a catch with this. While these mints do change the effects of your Pokémon's nature, they don't actually change the nature of your Pokémon so even if you change an Adamant Pokémon with a Timid Mint, despite having the stats of a Timid Pokémon, it still has the Adamant Nature which is what will be displayed and what is used for breeding and other elements."

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    One of my fav things they did this gen is the gmax changes. The gmax powers, immunity to interrupts, and such has added a lot more great moments to me than megas did. I know this is a big point of contention but I’ve been enjoying it a lot.

That and intimidate nerfs because screw intimidate.

Some big names from the VGC community have said that Dynamaxing having a bunch of defensive boosts instead of being geared towards offense like Z-moves and Mega-evolutions were make a big difference. Probably means a big change for people that got used to two generations (or more) of offense oriented metagames.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    i mean i'm not saying MP sucks.
    It's just i'm not really the guy for that kind of activity. I like exploring and collecting and going "AAAwww" when I find a mudbray for the billionth time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    multiplayer does kinda suck

but it's the kind of suckitude like card games where us masochists go through with it anyway

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg