As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Luckily for you the latest set (Sword and Shield) came out this month. You can buy him a couple of packs from that set. Or if you are feeling generous, an Elite Trainer Box. Which comes with 8 boosters of Sword and Shield, Dice, sleeves, tokens and a handy book that has detailed information on certain decks from the expansion and a list of all the cards in the set. ($39.99)

I believe this Friday a Build and Battle box of Sword and Shield comes out for $19.99. Comes with 4 boosters, a pack of useful cards and 1 of 4 promo cards.

I know next Friday these Galar Starter Tins comes out, comes with a Pokemon V card (Like a Legendary card in Hearthstone) in each tin as well as 5 booster packs. No info on what boosters these are but im sure maybe like 2 of them will be Sword and Shield. Should be around $25-$30 for a tin. As well as a Toxtricity V Promo Box, which comes with a Toxtricity V card and 4 boosters. (2x Sword and Shield, 1x Cosmic Eclipse and 1x Burning Shadows) Should be $20 I believe.

Hope that helps! @Fawst

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That’s a huge help! I was eyeing those Elite Trainer boxes. Just for timing’s sake, I’ll likely go with that. Was thinking of looking into the tins as well but if they’re not out yet, I’ll see what I can grab otherwise. Appreciate the writeup!

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Huh. Apparently at some point in the past I was mistaken about how Pokemon Bank worked. I bought the first year so I could store stuff, but then I never got around to playing ORAS, joined the Navy so I skipped Sun and Moon...so I finally tried using it again and all my stuff is long gone since I stopped paying for it.

I mean, I thought they were just ransoming the use of my 'mons with the fee. I didn't know they'd delete them all if I didn't pay them. Googling around, it looks like this wasn't some hidden procedure, I just missed it, somehow.

Welp. I'm moving the crap from Y that I didn't deem important enough to save over to home, where I'll move it to Shield and then probably lose the rest because I'd have to think long and hard before I pay for any of their subscriptions again.

Read the fine print, kids.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    how do trade rooms work, anyway? We can just trade normally with each other as if it was friend trading?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    You enter a room trade and then wait for the countdown (like 180 seconds or so) to finish. Then you pick a Pokemon to "trade." Then you wait for another 180 second countdown, at the end of which your Pokemon is sent to a random other person in the room and you get a random Pokemon from the room in return.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I keep wanting to buy the Glaceon tin deck they have at target and have to keep resisting.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    You enter a room trade and then wait for the countdown (like 180 seconds or so) to finish. Then you pick a Pokemon to "trade." Then you wait for another 180 second countdown, at the end of which your Pokemon is sent to a random other person in the room and you get a random Pokemon from the room in return.

that's so weird

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I was checking what people want for a Zacian on the GTS and there was one guy who wanted a Necrozma

I thought sure, I have two of those, I'll take that deal

Then it won't go through because the dude has specified that it has to be lvl 1 to 10...

That's not even possible, ya goose!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    friends let's do pokemon swaparoo tonite
    plos

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Down to 93 pokemon left to complete Home National Dex. Proud of myself as just a few days ago it was over 200.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I so decided to hold a Crab and Mollusk only competition in a pokemon community im in. 3 on 3

I did not realize how quickly a meta would evolve

Kingler, Corpfish, Crawdaunt, Kabuto, Omantye, Binacle, Clauncher and Evo, carbomanable, Crustle,Magcargo,Shuckle, Cloyster, Octillery, Malamar, Campearl, Sliggo (NOT GOODRA), Scolliopoede, Gastrodon, Wimpod and evo, Parasect

Is the list that was settled on. And its quickly devolving into wondering if I even bother bringing something like parasect because will anyone really be using water moves?

But if parasect is a common feature then does Magcargo actually have a niche??

In dying trying to solve the terrifying crab meta

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just starting Shield, and oh my dear lord, having moment-one experience share and universal box access is a godsend.

Couple questions about the Wild Area, though. Is there any rhyme or reason into the weather changes? And how long do you have to wait before gigantimax raid battles refresh?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just starting Shield, and oh my dear lord, having moment-one experience share and universal box access is a godsend.

Couple questions about the Wild Area, though. Is there any rhyme or reason into the weather changes? And how long do you have to wait before gigantimax raid battles refresh?

Weather changes each day, it's on a set schedule. Raid battles refresh either at midnight local time or when you beat all of them. .

There are also system time manipulation things you can do to control weather/refresh raids, if you are inpatient.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Until you beat the game, weather in the wild area is doing its own thing that I'm not sure people have put any real time or effort into figuring out. Once the game is beaten, it changes depending on the date, but I believe it's consistent and there are certain days (first day of most months) where every single place in the wild area will have the same weather.

Gigantamax raids respawn either daily or when you've cleared all the active ones. Until you have the water bike, I don't think you can get to all the dens so you might not be able to clear them all out to force the respawn.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Ive narrowed down my team to either

Kingler, Clawitzer, Paras

Or

Kinglier Malamar Magacargo

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    3x shuckle

Opponent rage quits after the two hour mark.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Someone is running that shuckle thing that lets it get stupid attack power I believe

Ive also seen a few people preparing deep fang clampearl and even evolite clampearl

Gonna be stupid as shit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    In terms of raw power, this is definitely the team I'd use

Shell smash focus sash Cloyster. Skill Link Icicle Spear, Liquidation
    Life Orb Crawdaunt. Adaptabilty, Crabhammer, Aqua Jet, Knock Off
    Bulky life orb Gastrodon as the defensive pivot. Storm Drain, Recover, Scald, Earth Power/Stockpile

Edit: Parasect guaranteed has a niche because of Spore

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    well I'd make a COOL crab/mollusk team with Malamar, Clawitzer and Grapploct

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I have considered charge beam octilery just for style points

Im hosting so I probably shouldnt win lol

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Sheer Force Kingler can be a beast, and has access to Agility to make up for meh speed. I'm currently trying to breed a shiny Kingler for my mono-water team. Got one shiny (with the square sparkles, no less) but it didn't have Sheer Force, so the hatching continues.

• Options
    So

Unfortunately

This is on a pixlemon server lol. The minecraft pokemon overhaul mod

The rates for finding hidden abilities is atrocious

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Anyone get anything good yet in their Wonder Box? I think I've gotten some breed-jects that I can use to breed my own stuff, but no legendaries or anything. Also, my GTS stuff has been sitting for awhile.

edit: I bred a bunch of Greninja because I felt like I kept seeing people asking for them (granted they want like lv 1-10, which, like, what?). I put one up on GTS and asked for a Zapdos and actually got one. I think that was my first big trade so far.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Huh. Apparently at some point in the past I was mistaken about how Pokemon Bank worked. I bought the first year so I could store stuff, but then I never got around to playing ORAS, joined the Navy so I skipped Sun and Moon...so I finally tried using it again and all my stuff is long gone since I stopped paying for it.

I mean, I thought they were just ransoming the use of my 'mons with the fee. I didn't know they'd delete them all if I didn't pay them. Googling around, it looks like this wasn't some hidden procedure, I just missed it, somehow.

Welp. I'm moving the crap from Y that I didn't deem important enough to save over to home, where I'll move it to Shield and then probably lose the rest because I'd have to think long and hard before I pay for any of their subscriptions again.

Is that really true? I’ve let my subscription expire before and it didn’t wipe mine out...?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Is that really true? I’ve let my subscription expire before and it didn’t wipe mine out...?

From Bulbapedia:
    When Pokémon Bank launched, the application's official site stated that if the player allows their pass (free or annual) to expire, the Pokémon they have stored in Pokémon Bank will be deleted after an unspecified set amount of time. In January 2017, when the site was updated for Pokémon Sun and Moon, this statement was removed from the official site. Players have reported a variety of experiences, ranging from claiming that their Pokémon were deleted after letting their pass lapse for only a few days to claiming that their Pokémon have not been lost despite not renewing their pass for multiple years.

So nobody knows and Nintendo ain't telling.

I know I'd lost mine, but my buddy hadn't after similar periods of time (months for sure).

edit- Leading theory, from what I can tell, is that they likely have multiple servers and once in a great while (seemingly with no rhyme or reason) they will wipe data on one of the servers. Some people get lucky some get very unlucky.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I went back and did the Sun post game, though I still have to complete the dreadful chore of zygarde cell collecting

Then I went to HG and got Lugia and Mewtwo

Then I checked my Ruby cart...I only caught Groudon. But I did palpark basically everything outta there. I had like 7 pokemon, a level 52 Wailord and a bunch of complete trash. So first I spend 30 minutes catching a Relicanth and unlocking the Regi trio. Then I spend 10 minutes failing to catch Regirock with my 40 ultra balls. Also I've no money left.

I'm going to need to grind money and xp for a least one other pokemon, there are 3 regis, ray and Latias to catch.

Scared to even check Fire Red. While I do have the legendary birds, dogs and mewtwo already it's hard to pass up an easily accessible extra. But these games are from the era when GF still thought it was worth while to make legendaries absurdly difficult to catch even asleep at 1hp.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Anyone get anything good yet in their Wonder Box? I think I've gotten some breed-jects that I can use to breed my own stuff, but no legendaries or anything. Also, my GTS stuff has been sitting for awhile.

edit: I bred a bunch of Greninja because I felt like I kept seeing people asking for them (granted they want like lv 1-10, which, like, what?). I put one up on GTS and asked for a Zapdos and actually got one. I think that was my first big trade so far.

I got a shiny Budew from the Wonder Box. I've found that Room Trades are where it's at for me. So far room trades have gotten me:
    Shiny Geodude, Shiny Furfrou, Shiny Ho-Oh, Shiny Zekrom, Xurkitree.

I also really hope that the expansions add back in all of the past starters, since I've been able to snag HA Froakie and HA Totodile from the GTS. I need my dragon dance Feraligatr back!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    I went back and did the Sun post game, though I still have to complete the dreadful chore of zygarde cell collecting

Then I went to HG and got Lugia and Mewtwo

Then I checked my Ruby cart...I only caught Groudon. But I did palpark basically everything outta there. I had like 7 pokemon, a level 52 Wailord and a bunch of complete trash. So first I spend 30 minutes catching a Relicanth and unlocking the Regi trio. Then I spend 10 minutes failing to catch Regirock with my 40 ultra balls. Also I've no money left.

I'm going to need to grind money and xp for a least one other pokemon, there are 3 regis, ray and Latias to catch.

Scared to even check Fire Red. While I do have the legendary birds, dogs and mewtwo already it's hard to pass up an easily accessible extra. But these games are from the era when GF still thought it was worth while to make legendaries absurdly difficult to catch even asleep at 1hp.

I've been going back for stuff in the old games too. My sad face was realizing I'd transferred my Regi trio to Home, and now cannot use them to get Regigigas. I've made a few other mistakes like that too, but lemme tell you a level 100 Aegislash with False Swipe back in Y (and then transferring forward as I 'finish' each pokedex) has been MVP.

Lessons learned: Leave a skeleton crew behind in each game. Something with False Swipe, an HM slave (if necessary), a Sweet Scenter, a Ditto, and something with Flame Body.

• Options
    going that far back like Rami is way too much work tho

You can get all that stuff much easier in gen 6 forwards. And I'm glad you could help with your Living Dex rebuild, akjak.

Finally, uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggh i have almost TWO complete living dexes up in Home and no Magearna yet. Seems like it's just bad at noticing it, not staggered release.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Is there a time limit on Magearna? I can probably get Meltan and Melmetal eventually but Zeraora will evade me until they decide to release it again as part of a promotion.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSoQxSHKKE

I had no idea this was a thing.

How did she lose? She had all the types covered...

• Options
    Ha. Someone finally traded a Moltres for my Incineroar. I got all three birds via GTS. I'm hoping someone takes my extra Zygarde and tosses me a Ho-oh.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    I'm down to 8 (!) pokemon needed for a complete Home pokedex.

So there I was, busily organizing my Home boxes into an actual living dex. After about 30-40 minutes of work, I go to quit for dinner and... System maintenance. I have no idea how much work I'll have to re-do now, but I am a bit salty about it. Dang.

• Options
    Yea, I saw the warning times and thought it was happening tonight, not last night. Heh.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ...and DONE.

890 Pokemon, registered and boxed.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just wanted to note that Galarian Meowth is HORRIFYING. I really don't want to find out what that monstrosity evolves into.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Just wanted to note that Galarian Meowth is HORRIFYING. I really don't want to find out what that monstrosity evolves into.

if by horrifying you mean the most perfect son

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    goiters are a natural part of the Meowth lifecycle

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Finally got a shiny, Hidden Ability Krabby to hatch. I'm so happy right now, that took forever and included the heartbreak of hatching a shiny without the Hidden Ability. I think before the next shiny I breed for I'll actually go and get the shiny charm...