As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The amount of reliance on shit happening during cutscenes out of your control is nuts in this game.
    Atleast when Roland died they had the excuse of Jack very suddenly teleporting in and shooting him in the back.

Here, what the hell was the player character doing during this drawn out series of events?

even in that instance,
    your character stands there with their hands at their sides to listen to handsome jack give a speech and then restrain Lilith the super powered Siren with a single hand motion???????? while you do nothing

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Anyone else kind of tired of BL1 getting put on a pedestal?

Didn't really find it all that great compared to BL2, Presequel or 3 (so far).

Is it? Knoxx and claptrap maybe but not the main game proper

Zombie Island is one of my all time favorite pieces of DLC. Running Brick and punching zombies until their brains pop out is exactly why video games were created.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Steve!

heyoooooooo

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The amount of reliance on shit happening during cutscenes out of your control is nuts in this game.
    Atleast when Roland died they had the excuse of Jack very suddenly teleporting in and shooting him in the back.

Here, what the hell was the player character doing during this drawn out series of events?

even in that instance,
    your character stands there with their hands at their sides to listen to handsome jack give a speech and then restrain Lilith the super powered Siren with a single hand motion???????? while you do nothing

Plus...
    Why doesn't Roland just pop out at the last New-U station he passed? Did he let his subscription lapse?

Best not to think about these things too much. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

even in that instance,

Plus...
    Why doesn't Roland just pop out at the last New-U station he passed? Did he let his subscription lapse?

Best not to think about these things too much. :)

Those are explicitly not canon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

even in that instance,
    There is some leeway there. You JUST had an exhausting fight taking down Angel's unwanted security system. Then when everyone's focused on Roland, Jack pops up behind and shoots him. Lilith goes to get him but in a slow-mo moment, he slaps what's basically a slave shock-collar from Star Wars The Old Republic and is likely pressing the button on it's remote to force her to kill you all. In short, Jack's holding her as both a hostage and weapon to keep you at bay.

Maya's death scene comes off as quite stupid because rather then have the cutscene start the second you get your hands on the big treasure in the Vault, it starts AFTER YOU EXIT THE VAULT. One little change in timing could have cut off that particular complaint of the cutscene right away.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Well....fuck.

*BL3 spoilers*
    Maya just died.

And Kreig is going to be pissed.

I like to think Fl4k was just standing there eating popcorn going "wow, thats messed up".
    This has to be addressed in DLC4 since they are remaking it to be about Krieg and his pursuit of sanity. Just have him being on the verge of merging into one personality and then he finds out Maya died and the Release The Beast personality takes control and goes on a rampage. Seriously...if Krieg was part of the Borderlands 3 storyline outside of Vox Recordings. The Children of the Vault would have been fucked as he proceeds to rampage through them with a buzzsaw strap on of death.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Jack cutscene in BL2 worked because it was so quick. Roland dies, you get Jack's intro screen, Lilith attacks, and you get teleported out. It's like 10-15 seconds. The Maya one is blah blah blah talking and grabbing and hostages and it just keeps going. All while your vault hunter is acting way out of character and not actively trying to shoot them in the face. Plus it has extra bonus annoying points for hitting the 'kid does something really stupid' trope.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    there are several cutscenes in 3 where your character stands there for five minutes doing nothing with their hands at their sides

it's infuriating

but even in 2
    When you beat Jack and he stumbles over bloodily and puts the vault key in and summons the warrior, it's like ... why are we not just killing you to prevent you from summoning the warrior in the first place? is it so we get to hear the repeating line about the lava rising a thousand times?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Have to be honest, the magic of these games seems to happen on spite of gearbox. They haven't really learned any lessons between the 3 games as far as I can tell. Certainly not anything on boss design. I still love all 3 but mostly for the co-op moments with friends.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    Have to be honest, the magic of these games seems to happen on spite of gearbox. They haven't really learned any lessons between the 3 games as far as I can tell. Certainly not anything on boss design. I still love all 3 but mostly for the co-op moments with friends.
    I don't want to pin the blame entirely on Pitchford, because that would be unrealistic. But it sure as fuck looks like it.

Anyway, Amara broke Borderlands 3. Again. But for real, this time.

https://youtu.be/Ck1nW80xVq4

edit for TL;DR:

Basically Ties that Bind + Revelation Augment + whatever her overkill skill is + any weapon with the 300/90 gun anoint.

I used to use that augment with Phaseslam, but as always, Ties that Bind nukes everyone everywhere for all time.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Look I just want Downfall to be a directed Kamehameha beam instead of pointing down.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    So is Action Skill Cooldown guardian rank just capped at 11.86%? Because it hasn't shown up in rotation for GR bonuses in like 50 ranks.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I like the way you unlock vehicle parts in this game. Just seeing a new thing someone else has a and going "that's mine" and then taking it, and then it's yours, and you can put it on your other stuff. Very satisfying. I kinda wish that someone guns worked that way as well. Like, instead of random rolls, seeing a guy with a gun part you haven't seen before and trying to take his gun. Lots of stuff that would make it hard for that to actually work the way vehicles do in this, though.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I like the way you unlock vehicle parts in this game. Just seeing a new thing someone else has a and going "that's mine" and then taking it, and then it's yours, and you can put it on your other stuff. Very satisfying. I kinda wish that someone guns worked that way as well. Like, instead of random rolls, seeing a guy with a gun part you haven't seen before and trying to take his gun. Lots of stuff that would make it hard for that to actually work the way vehicles do in this, though.

The first one did work like that. Enemies dropped the guns they were using. So if some enemy was crushing you, when you finally killed them you usually got a gun worth using. No clue why they dropped that from all subsequent games as I really liked it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

The first one did work like that. Enemies dropped the guns they were using. So if some enemy was crushing you, when you finally killed them you usually got a gun worth using. No clue why they dropped that from all subsequent games as I really liked it.

Nobody knows. Enenies still spawn with real guns too so they could allow it

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm glad that save editing assault rifles has gone from "if I make a completely perfect roll, I can make a gun that's still outclassed by basically any other type of weapon, but at least it meets a baseline of functionality" in BL2 to "yeah sex is good but have you tried having a battle rifle with no aim sway and perfectly vertical recoil" in BL3.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    How satisfying is a tanky melee Iron Bear build for Moze?

Kind of torn between that and Melee/Tank Amara for my second character.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I wish Autobear, or the Autobear legendary class mod, made the Autobear mobile.

I kind of wanted to watch the bear run around punching things.

• Options
    Looks like the place holders for the next batch of DLC achievements are up. Unlike last time, there are no specific pieces of art on them, just the stylized 3.

There's 7 this time instead of 8, giving the game a nice 'round' number of 75.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    There is a 6.60gb update for xbox, hopefully this fixes their “Run so hot so the Xbox emergency shutdowns” issue that anyone with a QA worth jack shit never would experience.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Is it not just the content for the anniversary celebration?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Season pass is more expensive than the game right now on Epic's store.

*sigh*

They know I'll buy it anyway.

• Options

*sigh*

The season pass is better than the main game so that tracks

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    There is a 6.60gb update for xbox, hopefully this fixes their “Run so hot so the Xbox emergency shutdowns” issue that anyone with a QA worth jack shit never would experience.
    Gigantic hotfix.

Link.

I'm not quoting the entire thing, but here's a big deal.
    DEDICATED LOOT POOL ADJUSTMENTS
    The dedicated loot pools for bosses have been given a dramatic overhaul in hopes of making for a more reliable and satisfying farming experience. Most bosses have two pieces of gear assigned to them, though there are exceptions. To reach this goal, we enabled respawning on the following bosses and reshuffled gear between bosses more evenly.

Dumptruck
    Undertaker
    Mincemeat
    Buttmunch and Trufflemunch
    Sheega
    Rohner
    Rax
    Max
    Archer Rowe
    Bloodshine
    Muldock, the Anointed
    Artemis
    Apollo
    King Bobo
    King Gnasher
    Anointed X2
    Anointed X3
    Anointed X4
    Azalea
    Preston

Also they got rid of, like, 21 anointments mostly dealing with airborne and sliding.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I dont see them mentioning a fix for the game trying to get your hardware to emulate the internal heat of Earth’s core during the Ruiner fight.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    I gotta say the vending machine changes are great. Its far easier to farm sheilds and grenades on your way to a boss than hoping they drop one.

• Options
    edited July 2020

*sigh*

Finishing up the return to Pandora right now. About to unlock the last planet pretty soon I think.

Think Tyreen is fantastic as well as Penn as an insane Radio host, Troy is such a nothing character though.

Unless something amazing happens with him soon, felt like he should have been cut.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

*sigh*

Finishing up the return to Pandora right now. About to unlock the last planet pretty soon I think.

Think Tyreen is fantastic as well as Penn as an insane Radio host, Troy is such a nothing character though.

Unless something amazing happens with him soon, felt like he should have been cut.

By all accounts his entire endgame plot was cut.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I really wish they had cut 90% of all the return to Pandora stuff. It really added nothing to the game.

Edit: The Love Guns and Tentacles DLC continues to be amazing though. Really redeeming Borderlands 3 to me. They are really benefiting from telling these shorter and more focused stories.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I really wish they had cut 90% of all the return to Pandora stuff. It really added nothing to the game.

Edit: The Love Guns and Tentacles DLC continues to be amazing though. Really redeeming Borderlands 3 to me. They are really benefiting from telling these shorter and more focused stories.

Yeah I think 2 was about as big of a scope as it should get. I dont care about the eridian war or whatever the new writers want to do just let me enjoy this silly brutal universe

• Options

*sigh*

Yeah, both him and Ava mostly reside on the cutting room floor.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

*sigh*

Yeah, both him and Ava mostly reside on the cutting room floor.

Not enough when it comes to Ava sadly.

• Options
    Echoes on the last planet imply Troy could have been an interesting character on par with Handsome Jack( in complexity not personality)

• Options
    Most of the game built up Troy v. Tyreen, and then *poof* nothing.

I guess I'm the only one that kinda likes Ava?

sig.gif
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I don't mind her but there's a ton of Ava-hate on the BL3 reddit for example. I don't really get it - she's a kid, kids do stupid stuff. I guess part of it just anger for how Maya dies? *shrug*

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

I don't mind her but there's a ton of Ava-hate on the BL3 reddit for example. I don't really get it - she's a kid, kids do stupid stuff. I guess part of it just anger for how Maya dies? *shrug*

I think because she yells at Lillith for causing that death when she did it and then Lillith rewards her constant petulance and attacks with seemingly giving her command of the raiders over literally anyone else

• Options

Ava gets only one side-quest as a way to show her less annoying side, one that people may just skip. Then there's the Maya's death-scene which she indirectly causes cause "hurdur, I'm a kid that doesn't listien to no adult cause I'mma gonna be a Vault Hunter" which ends up getting Tyreen's attention. Then she yells at Lilith while claiming some 'run to the fire' nonsense that Maya MAY have told her or may not. And much like the cutscene mentioned, we don't do much of anything to talk her down, instead being given the option to give her a generic 'keep your chin up' which is the last thing players wanna do at that moment. Tannis ultimately has to be the one to tell her to knock it off. TANNIS. Then after Troy gets gunned down she just walks up, pokes him and boop, gets Maya's powers which she can almost instantly use to protect everyone from Tyreen. Minus us of course because the Vault Hunters wink out of existence for 90% of the game's cutscenes. THEN when Lilith goes to possibly sacrifice herself to stop Elpis, she does so on Ava's stupid 'run to the fire' claim and apparently hands her the keys to Sanctuary despite the fact that there's plenty of others capable of handling the ship. All of that just makes Ava reek of being someone's creator's pet.

• Options
    Ava was 100 pervent supposed to be the new Tina but they didnt get why people liked Tina

• Options

I think because she yells at Lillith for causing that death when she did it and then Lillith rewards her constant petulance and attacks with seemingly giving her command of the raiders over literally anyone else
    I haven't finished the game yet but she becomes leader of the raiders?

Holy shit...what a miscalculation.

"Fans are going to love her, its gonna be great!"

Maya should have become the new lead NPC. Lilith, Brick and Mordecai are pretty played out at this point.

Series needs to move on from BL1 like it did with Pandora..sort of.