As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Oh, they have Spa 2000 full race! Häkkinen on Schumacher around Zonta!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Oh, they have Spa 2000 full race! Häkkinen on Schumacher around Zonta!

One of the great moves, that was. :+1:

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    ok so some wheel questions. I got it setup and going but im not really sure what settings I should really be messing with? on the wheel itself should I be leaving stuff like the operating range (its at 900) alone for now. In game I turned off break assist as I was having an incredibly hard time steering in corners and that seemed to mostly solve that problem, although I had to keep traction control on because oh my was I just doing donuts for a while. Theres also all the calibration settings in the game but im kind of hesitant to just start messing with that stuff blind. Having a ton of fun even if im basically finishing last by multiple laps ever race.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    ok so some wheel questions. I got it setup and going but im not really sure what settings I should really be messing with? on the wheel itself should I be leaving stuff like the operating range (its at 900) alone for now. In game I turned off break assist as I was having an incredibly hard time steering in corners and that seemed to mostly solve that problem, although I had to keep traction control on because oh my was I just doing donuts for a while. Theres also all the calibration settings in the game but im kind of hesitant to just start messing with that stuff blind. Having a ton of fun even if im basically finishing last by multiple laps ever race.

What wheel did you get?

If you're talking F1, I would set your range to 360ish. Also, I know with my G29 I turned down the force feedback, put a couple of points into steering deadzone, and about 15 into throttle linearity. Also a few points into brake saturation, since the G29 brake is a bit squishy.

• Options
    Finally got into iRacing this evening. Took a Dallara and a Nascar around Daytona... Bloody hell, whole new appreciation of how difficult it is to get right and stay consistent. Really strange subtlety to it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Setting the range on your wheel doesn't do anything, games will automatically do that themselves and you don't want to artificially limit it in the wheel software.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Setting the range on your wheel doesn't do anything, games will automatically do that themselves and you don't want to artificially limit it in the wheel software.

I don't remember the name of the setting in F1. Steering linearity, maybe? Use that to get around 360-400 degrees total in-game.

Also, without assists you need to start by finding a good setup and working from there. A bad setup can make you feel useless as a driver.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

I don't remember the name of the setting in F1. Steering linearity, maybe? Use that to get around 360-400 degrees total in-game.

Also, without assists you need to start by finding a good setup and working from there. A bad setup can make you feel useless as a driver.

I really wouldn't change the steering linearity. You don't want to be turning the wheel X amount in real life and have it not correspond to the same amount in game.

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    Oh yeah it's a g29 and I'm playing F1 2019. I think I own project cars as well but I'm really mostly in this to race F1 cars and maybe a bit of dirt rally here and there. After a few races with friends where I just couldn't get anything done I spent an hour or so just doing laps around Monza and started to feel more in control by the end of it.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Finally got into iRacing this evening. Took a Dallara and a Nascar around Daytona... Bloody hell, whole new appreciation of how difficult it is to get right and stay consistent. Really strange subtlety to it.

The only way I found ovals interesting is by actually racing in them. They're incredible fun.

Still don't enjoy watching them as much, though.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options

Unfortunately not the case with a G29 in F1 2019 on PC. You have to adjust the range in the driver manually, else it sticks to the 900 range.

Every other game has set it right though.

• Options
    Just as a recommendation, Automobilista 2 just released in Early Access. Stock Car Extreme and Automobilista 1 (previous games by Reiza studios) were extremely fun sims with a lot of Brazilian-centered content. Want to drive a weaponized racing-modded VW Beetle? Formula Vee is for you!

There's a lot of really fun and varied content, though be warned that it's missing some stuff on the way to full release right now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Getting up at 4:30am to watch a race in the same city is fucking weird.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

What's with the extremely short gearing in that Lotus (Dumfries)? He quickfires them from 2nd to 5th as fast as he can move his hand.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    It's funny seeing the things you take for granted in coverage now compared to older races. The biggest one for me was lap time and gap data only being shown very sparsely. For example, when prost was charging I found it hard to get a sense of how quickly he was closing on Mansell. Limitations of the time and all that though.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    altid wrote: »
    It's funny seeing the things you take for granted in coverage now compared to older races. The biggest one for me was lap time and gap data only being shown very sparsely. For example, when prost was charging I found it hard to get a sense of how quickly he was closing on Mansell. Limitations of the time and all that though.

The TV direction in general is just so much more sophisticated now. In this race they mostly just follow the leader(s) and then if anything else happens you just get a glimpse of it. Even cars in the top 5 overtake and you maybe sort of see it because it happened to be in the background of a shot of the leaders.

Also LOLsafety things like a retired car parked right off the racing line and pit exit for basically the entire race.

EDIT: And I get why they did the "best 11 results" championship scoring back when the cars were more unreliable, but holy hell it made things hard to understand.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So I ordered myself a new toy for my sim setup:

CibknNM.png?1

I mostly drive modern cars with formula style wheels, so I've been using the special edition F1 wheel for a while (mine has the magnetic shifters on it):
    CS-SWFORM-V2-18-Big_05-1000x666wFwuhe3ZOc1Tk_200x200@2x.jpg

I wanted a larger round wheel for when I drive things like the Porsche GT3 Cup, or the V8 Supercar, that require a lot of wheel sawing and counter steering. Formula style rims are really better for cars with a lot of down force and super agile suspensions, where you want smooth, small inputs, versus big sweeping counter rotations.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I ordered myself a new toy for my sim setup:
    911_podium_bundle_600x600@2x.jpg

I mostly drive modern cars with formula style wheels, so I've been using the special edition F1 wheel for a while (mine has the magnetic shifters on it):
    CS-SWFORM-V2-18-Big_05-1000x666wFwuhe3ZOc1Tk_200x200@2x.jpg
    I wanted a larger round wheel for when I drive things like the Porsche GT3 Cup, or the V8 Supercar, that require a lot of wheel sawing and counter steering. Formula style rims are really better for cars with a lot of down force and super agile suspensions, where you want smooth, small inputs, versus big sweeping counter rotations.

[Jelly intensifies]

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Here's the back of my Formula rim, with the fancy magentic podium shifter kit:
    PXuEkK3.png

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That's pure sexytimes.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    That's NSFW, especially for those working from home.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Went and set a time on China, added it to the spreadsheet and also added the pole and fast lap times from 2019

1:32.646
    1kfwypjnaahb.jpg

Edit: Setup is available to download if you race against my ghost and choose "Use rival's setup" in the menu

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’m not too far off it seems. Closing the gap!
    jkm3y5Y.jpg

1:33.250

The Mercedes is almost comically good. Like the other cars are simulations and the Mercedes is arcade mode.

• Options
    fsx2029vs5dq.png

• Options
    Oh fuck yes. Monaco '96 was bananas.

• Options
    Mercedes DAS "re-banned" for 2021

Mercedes "dual-axis steering" system is still getting banned next year despite the 2020 cars getting used in 2021 before the new regs belatedly come in for 2022.

• Options
    at this rate it may never see the track

• Options
    Funny how much Monaco has changed over the years. The yachts seems much smaller for one.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    How it warms the heart to see
    Damon Hill leading, but more importantly, one of my favourite ever F1 drivers, Jean Alesi, in second.
    Of course, it won't stay that way.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Also note that Coulthard is wearing Schumacher's helmet for this race. Can be noticed when they go onboard with him.

• Options
    Also note that Coulthard is wearing Schumacher's helmet for this race. Can be noticed when they go onboard with him.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/til-schumacher-helped-a-rival-during-the-1996-monaco-gp/
    Coulthard reveals how his helmets were misting up and the German helped without hesitation.

“In the warmup, I just couldn’t see, my helmet at the time did not have the double visor which helped with fogging,” David said on the Making of a Legend documentary.

“So I went to Michael and asked him if I could borrow a helmet which is a very unusual thing to do.”

• Options

https://www.essentiallysports.com/til-schumacher-helped-a-rival-during-the-1996-monaco-gp/
    Coulthard reveals how his helmets were misting up and the German helped without hesitation.

“In the warmup, I just couldn’t see, my helmet at the time did not have the double visor which helped with fogging,” David said on the Making of a Legend documentary.

“So I went to Michael and asked him if I could borrow a helmet which is a very unusual thing to do.”

Awesome.

And to think that a couple of years ago, under Bernie, that would have been completely out of the question.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Awesome.

And to think that a couple of years ago, under Bernie, that would have been completely out of the question.

This was only a scant five years after this iconic moment:

i1korsokahww.jpg

There seemed to be this element of helping people out, even if they were your rivals on the track, that you don't get visible examples of much any more. Not that it doesn't still happen; the solidarity with McLaren in Australia this year is a great example.

Jazz on
  • Options
    "Alesi leads" is something we really should have been able to hear more often.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Alesi was always my favourite of that era

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Alesi was always my favourite of that era

Always loved his driving style, a guy who really drove with his heart, and wore it on his sleeve too. His battle with Senna when he (Alesi) was an almost-rookie in his first full season was the stuff of legends. He just had the misfortune of always being in the wrong team at the wrong time. He deserved a lot more than that one solitary win, but man, it was sweet when he got that. (In the last of the V12s, too.)

There were a ton of drivers in that era that I really liked, but Alesi was at or at least very close to the top of that heap.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Whole lot of dead air there. I wonder if something was cut from the commentary, especially since Palmer came back in with a "Whatever" before moving on. My memory isn't good enough to remember the full commentary from a 24-year-old race, even though I watched it live.

But, man, these races are reminding me just how much Murray Walker added to any race. (Murray Walker and the late James Hunt will always be the all-time greatest commentary line-up, though.)

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.