As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Lando with a career best qualifying performance at 4th place ahead of both Ferraris must have been quietly fun to poke Carlos with

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    sainz telling his agent to recheck the ferrari contract for an exit clause

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed this rant, it's honestly really worth a read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/hlcy3h/how_is_it_possible_for_mercedes_to_be_this/

Some choice excerpts;
    Mercedes pulls up with the perfect car. A car that, from the second it touched Barcelona tarmac it just worked flawlessly. Which got improved even more by Austria. A car which is better in every possible way. Top speed no longer an issue. Faster than Ferrari and RB in every corner. Brought an engine upgrade, new aero package, DAS, etc, and on the shortest track (timewise) on the calendar, a track which was supposed to be their weak point, they absolutely annihilate the field by more than .500 without breaking a sweat, in the final year of stable engine and aero regulations, while every other team (especially Ferrari) properly shits themselves.
    How the fuck is this possible. Ferrari used to dominate simply because they just outspent everyone. RB domination was nowhere near this bad. Technical Directives, new regulations, Mercedes doesnt give a fuck and just gets better and better with every season
    It's very appropriate for Mercedes. "We're so fucking good, that yeah, go ahead. Try your little engine tricks. Cute, that pulsing fuel line and the ERS double battery stuff. Very impressive. We're still going to win the WDC by Austin, while doing it completely legally.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Mercedes are an incredible team really. They've combined technical excellence with probably the best driver on the grid and it has made them nigh on unstoppable. Even when technically weak they've been able to rely on Hamilton to pull them through. That said, given how close Ferrari have been in previous seasons I did not expect a half second gap to the next fastest team in quali.

Ferrari on the other hand seem to be a mess. Only just scraping into Q3? That's solidly midfield. Interesting that all Ferrari powered cars have seen a significant loss of pace from 2019. It certainly puts the whole Ferrari engine 'investigation' that totally didn't find anything illegal but we won't tell you anything about it thing into a new light. It's very easy to jump to the conclusion that the Ferrari engine was not operating legally, and now that they've been forced to they're massively down on power - but since we'll never know for sure it's hard to say. As a team, Ferrari would probably do better if they weren't so embroiled in politics. Just look at how Vettel's time there played out. This article (if accurate) paints a pretty poor picture:
    https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-ferraris-driver-relationships-so-often-end-badly/

Very impressed with Norris clinching P4. While Red Bull appear to be the #2 team so far, the midfield does look incredibly tght. Somewhat pleased the (T)racing Point cars didn't run away with the clear #2 or #3 spots so far at least. While I'm torn on the principle of what they did, having them run away from the pack with it would have been bad for the sport overall. Could still happen though.

Also here's to Russel nearly getting out of Q1! It's still a long way to the midfield, but it's a start.

• Options
    The other Ferrari powered teams struggling is an indicator that there is more going on than just the illegal engine.

Remember, the illegal engine relied on lying about fuel consumption. It's not something the customer teams would have been doing last year.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Finally get F1 back but it's Mercedes dominating even more. Thanks, 2020.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Hamilton's lucky escape from a penalty for not lifting under yellow flags in Q3 was appealed by Red Bull. Hamilton claimed he did not see the yellows, that there was contradictory signals on his dash, but Red Bull submitted new footage which showed clearly that even if he didn't see the yellows, he definitely should have, so he's been assessed a 3 place grid drop. Verstappen promoted to 2nd, Norris to 3rd, Albon to 4th.

• Options
    Congrats Bottas on the win then. Ironic that the penalty was in part caused by his own poor driving.

6 or so drivers not kneeling. Not the best look.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Cool. New season starts, but F1TV is simply not working. So I can't watch the race... awesome! And cancelling it in frustration won't help me - as I won't be able to sign up again for next year, as the broadcasting rights have changed and F1TV will no longer be available to new customers in Germany.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Cool. New season starts, but F1TV is simply not working. So I can't watch the race... awesome! And cancelling it in frustration won't help me - as I won't be able to sign up again for next year, as the broadcasting rights have changed and F1TV will no longer be available to new customers in Germany.

Watched the qualy, the F2 race and everything perfectly, but as soon as it's F1 race time, it became a colossal fuckup I hadn't seen since Canada last year.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    lmao f1 is dead

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    13 laps in I finally manage to get in.

Grmpf.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    13 laps in I finally manage to get in.

Grmpf.

Just in time
    to see verstappen retire his car.

• Options
    I'm just going to note how really interesting the entire field looks right now (lap 28) if you were to just remove the Mercs from the race.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    First Sunday I've worked in forever, and F1 decided to start its season, lol.

• Options
    So, we give Mercedes the trophy now, prevent them from racing any more races and we might have ourselves an exciting season? Cause they are driving on another planet right now, compared to everyone else.

• Options
    So, we give Mercedes the trophy now, prevent them from racing any more races and we might have ourselves an exciting season? Cause they are driving on another planet right now, compared to everyone else.

Lap 53
    Let's see if these gearbox sensor issues on the restart does anything interesting after the SC!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    This is quickly becoming one of the weirdest races in F1 history.

• Options

Lap66
    Leading: Merc 2020
    Followed by Merc 2019

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Holy shit, could not have guessed that podium order!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Bonkers!

• Options
    Could not have asked for a better start to the season.

• Options
    I'd like to know if they broke any modern records for unreliability with this race.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'd like to know if they broke any modern records for unreliability with this race.

Monaco 96 comes to mind, when only 4 (?) cars finished.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Albon
    could have won the race if Lewis hadn't screwed him

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Properly excited for Lando.

• Options
    Albon
    Still needed to get past Bottas, but they were both limping at that point on old tires. So, doable.

Still have no idea why Perez didn't come in for new tyres when Albon did, though.

So, basically the secret of F1 2020 is to blow up cars randomly and get safety cars at uncomfortable times. Gotcha.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Albon
    depends on if his eventual retirement was caused by the collision or an unrelated mechanical issue. Still sucks major ass though for him. Sure, Hamilton gets a 5 second penalty - but that doesn't help Albon one bit, who dropped down to last place and was way out of contention.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Albon
    Perhaps he shouldn't try kamikaze lunges around the outside then? He was hardly blameless. He still had room to the outside and it's not like Hamilton could go any further to the right. He had no problems forcing Hamilton wide at exactly the same point earlier in the race either.

altid on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    altid wrote: »
    Albon
    Perhaps he shouldn't try kamikaze lunges around the outside then? He was hardly blameless. He still had room to the outside and it's not like Hamilton could go any further to the right. He had no problems forcing Hamilton wide at exactly the same point earlier in the race either.

wtf you talking about.
    Hamilton had tons of room to the right. He literally cut diagonally across the track into Albon.

icueDjz.png

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I thought it was a clear racing incident personally. They both had room to give, and Albon was trying a pretty risky pass.

Oh well, F1 stewarding again the topic of the weekend instead of the racing itself. Glad some things never change I suppose.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    altid wrote: »
    Albon

wtf you talking about.
    Hamilton had tons of room to the right. He literally cut diagonally across the track into Albon.

icueDjz.png

That's called 'physics'. Hamilton was hard right on steering lock throughout, the car is always going to drift to the outside of a corner. Also nice to see how much room Albon had around the outside which he doesn't use vs a guy on older, harder tyres.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have my opinions about all the things that happened. However, the main thing in my mind right now is that I’m really excited for Race 2 next week.

• Options
    I have my opinions about all the things that happened. However, the main thing in my mind right now is that I’m really excited for Race 2 next week.

Agreed. Most of the troubles seemed to have been related to the track and kerbs in particular, which won't change for next week. So it'll make for some interesting strategies.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    There was a point where I thought we wouldn't see these cars turn a wheel in anger this year. Glad to be wrong. (And glad for the distraction, on a personal level.)
    I didn't think Hamilton did anything wrong. He didn't open the steering a single millimetre. Not his fault the Red Bull had more grip and could go faster, and he left space.

And well done Lando! Well deserved!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Did they have any spectators or were the stands empty?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Race spoilers
    Alpha Tauri is currently ahead of Red Bull in the constructors' championship

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

No spectators and tbh I didn't really miss them at all

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I missed them a bit post-race with the muted podium ceremony. But during the race, yeah, not so much. I may miss them more at Silverstone.

The grandstands had massive flags over the seats, similar to how a lot of football has been doing. It looked quite good visually. The Dutch Pride one got some good airtime, it's in a prime camera angle.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I missed them a bit post-race with the muted podium ceremony. But during the race, yeah, not so much. I may miss them more at Silverstone.

The grandstands had massive flags over the seats, similar to how a lot of football has been doing. It looked quite good visually. The Dutch Pride one got some good airtime, it's in a prime camera angle.

Yeah..like Monza with no crowd would be hilarious but as is I think it's fine so far. I wonder how long it took for someone to go "Oh..hang on, we have an extra 10 or so ad hoardings now if we cover the stands" I'm guessing about 10 minutes or so. I did like the one on the main straight with all the standee driver photos.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.