Options

[Impeachment] for ... Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

"Occasionally, while on the phone with foreign heads of state, Trump has handed the receiver to his daughter, Ivanka Trump, so she can talk with the leader."
    - Julia Davis is a WaPo reporter.

Yeah, Hunter Biden was the kid who benefited from his father's position, and deserves investigation.

Fuck these projectionists so hard. It'd be one thing if Trump didn't have three children banking of their father's position, but he does. The naked fucking arrogance to go after someone else's kid, when his kids are clearly doing so much more, is just astonishing.

This isn't some child or young teenager where that might be acceptable. These are fucking adults.

It just boggles my mind that the news kept trying to make the Hunter Biden thing something, when there's three right there, right now (and at least one in-law) doing it right in the fucking open. I'm not a huge fan of whataboutism, but if you're gonna fucking do it, fucking do it evenhandedly.

I can pretty much guarantee you he isn't mad Hunter Biden profited from his name. He's pissed because he thinks Biden profited more than Ivanka has.

I don't think he cares either way; he just wanted info to discredit Biden because Biden was the obvious frontrunner at the time. That's it.

We saw the same thing in 2016.

Also Biden was Obama's vp. And trump is obsessed with attacking anything from Obama's administration.

Ya know, this honestly never occurred to me.

For all the motives I’ve considered, from winning 2020, to his narcissistic need to prove he won 2016 on his own, to helping Putin, to plain old conspiracy theories; I completely forgot about his incessant hatred of all things Obama and how Trump was humiliated the night Bin Laden was killed and reports that this was the night he decided to run for 2016. (Side note, also why I love Seth Meyers)

Not that it can’t be any or all of them, just that I can’t believe I forgot how petty he can be amidst all the corruption.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Raiju wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    This whole cant indict rule has no basis in the rule of law or the constitution. It is an in house DOJ rule thats being adhered to becauae the place is infested with sycophants who believe in executive theory.

Disclaimer: Theory not valid for Democratic presidents.

Yeah, quell surprise when they find some sort of "renegade" who has an "originalist" view on the matter the second it's relevant.

I believe a current Supreme Court Justice who worked on Ken Starr’s team argued that a sitting President Clinton could be indicted, but shouldn’t be at the time because the Senate wouldn’t convict on the impeachment.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    President Democrat can instruct the DOJ/OLC to reconsider the OLC memo saying a President can't be indicted and also promote legislation reestablishing the office of independent counsel (with more safeguards than Starr had) so that it can be outside of DOJ jurisdiction and not bound by the memo anyway, suggesting articles of impeachment directly to Congress instead of a report ending with shrug emojis.

None of that would inherently preclude a President as corrupt as Trump again, but it would help prevent some of the shenanigans that have helped make it take this long to get where we are. Which is hopefully Articles being filed before Christmas and the Senate trial commencing in January/February so that it will save near to a full year of malfeasance under the best of circumstances.

moniker on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    For all the motives I’ve considered, from winning 2020, to his narcissistic need to prove he won 2016 on his own, to helping Putin, to plain old conspiracy theories; I completely forgot about his incessant hatred of all things Obama and how Trump was humiliated the night Bin Laden was killed and reports that this was the night he decided to run for 2016. (Side note, also why I love Seth Meyers)

Not that it can’t be any or all of them, just that I can’t believe I forgot how petty he can be amidst all the corruption.

Yeah, I honestly think that's probably the bigger motivation for him rather than pure self-aggrandizement, financially or otherwise.

Even by the standards of stuff we've seen in the last three years the dude's meltdown after the 2012 election was incredible; he openly called for rebellion to remove the president by force. It's the only time I can think of that he deleted a Twitter rant afterwards; either he or his handlers noticed that even for him that was going way too far.

That attitude's been driving him for awhile, and since his election Trump's entire foreign policy boils down to "if Obama liked something, do the opposite."

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    You know how the 8 page letter to Pelosi saying the White House would not cooperate with the impeachment investigation sounded like it was partly written by Trump? It was partly written by Trump.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-favorite-impeachment-lawyer-is-trump-himself
    The letter was notable not for the conclusion it reached—few suspected that the administration was going to cooperate with House Democrats—but for the broadsides and rhetorical flourishes it featured. That’s because this letter wasn’t fully written by lawyers.

It was crafted, in large part, by President Donald Trump himself.

According to two people familiar with the process, White House Counsel Pat Cipollone had multiple meetings with President Trump in the days leading up to the issuance of the letter. During those meetings with Cipollone, the president would get especially animated when names such as Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), chair of the House Intelligence Committee leading the probe into the whistleblower complaint, came up. The sources said that Trump enthusiastically suggested adding various jabs at Democratic lawmakers and would request that their “unfair” treatment of him be incorporated into the letter.

The result was what Bob Bauer, who served as President Obama’s White House counsel, called a “remarkable” and “extraordinarily political document.”

Trump had also privately consulted on the letter with Rudy Giuliani, his notably pugnacious personal lawyer who is at the center of the Ukraine and Biden-related scandal engulfing the administration. Trump talked to Giuliani about how he and the White House should proceed in fighting back and challenging the legitimacy of the impeachment probe, one of the sources noted. Reached for comment on Thursday evening, the former New York mayor and Trump confidant repeatedly declined to confirm or deny this.
    Everybody who works for Trump debases themselves for Trump.

I mean, just reading the thing you could tell Trump was heavily involved. It was full of the kind of dumb shit he says in the same dumbshit way he says them.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Trump now says he’s suing Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi, but won’t say for what. He also says he supports impeaching them, which isn’t a thing that can be done.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Trump now says he’s suing Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi, but won’t say for what. He also says he supports impeaching them, which isn’t a thing that can be done.

I can imagine Schiff submitting as a defense that Trump is a whiny bitch who's mad that he got caught committing all of the crimes all of the time, winning, and then Pelosi submits the results of Schiff's trial as precedent for summary dismissal and winning that too.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    The idea of the president sueing members of Congress is so childishly laughable.

I am embarrassed to call this place my home.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    He's fucking scared. I don't think he even got this pathetic during the heavy days of the Mueller report.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    He also says he supports impeaching them, which isn’t a thing that can be done.

It's blatantly clear that he and his supporters have no idea what impeaching actually is, because they keep going all "playschool word of the day" with it.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

"Occasionally, while on the phone with foreign heads of state, Trump has handed the receiver to his daughter, Ivanka Trump, so she can talk with the leader."

Yeah, Hunter Biden was the kid who benefited from his father's position, and deserves investigation.

Fuck these projectionists so hard. It'd be one thing if Trump didn't have three children banking of their father's position, but he does. The naked fucking arrogance to go after someone else's kid, when his kids are clearly doing so much more, is just astonishing.

This isn't some child or young teenager where that might be acceptable. These are fucking adults.

It just boggles my mind that the news kept trying to make the Hunter Biden thing something, when there's three right there, right now (and at least one in-law) doing it right in the fucking open. I'm not a huge fan of whataboutism, but if you're gonna fucking do it, fucking do it evenhandedly.

I can pretty much guarantee you he isn't mad Hunter Biden profited from his name. He's pissed because he thinks Biden profited more than Ivanka has.

I don't think he cares either way; he just wanted info to discredit Biden because Biden was the obvious frontrunner at the time. That's it.

Also Biden was Obama's vp. And trump is obsessed with attacking anything from Obama's administration.

Don't forget that Giuliani probably resented Biden for the infamous "noun, verb, 9/11" line.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular

There's a reason why people joke that Trump's administration, aside from all the obscene graft and blatant corruption, is pretty much a Ctrl+Alt+Del of every single one of the Obama Administration's policies. It's because it's true.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    He's fucking scared. I don't think he even got this pathetic during the heavy days of the Mueller report.

He knows he's in trouble, but the only thing he knows how to do is attack.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    He quite possibly has gotten a whiff in the back of his mind that once he's not President, the Republican and media cover he's been relying on is going to evaporate but the law suits and crimes won't.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    While he may not necessarily be scared simply due to his ridiculous ego. solipsism and complete incomprehension of anything that isn't a scam or petty cruelty, he is definitely incredibly upset that other people are allowed to do anything he hasn't allowed them to do.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Remember that while all this is going on, the courts have emphatically ruled that he needs to turn his tax returns over to congress

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Congress people are protected from lawsuit when speaking on the floor.

Relevant link concerning why the president's threat to sue the congress people that are leading the House investigation into impeaching him has no teeth. IANAL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_or_Debate_Clause

Holy fuck, that was a weird post to write and is indicative of how far over the moon we are.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Congress people are protected from lawsuit when speaking on the floor.

Relevant link concerning why the president's threat to sue the congress people that are leading the House investigation into impeaching him has no teeth. IANAL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_or_Debate_Clause

Holy fuck, that was a weird post to write and is indicative of how far over the moon we are.

Also, the truth is an absolute defense against libel.

But yeah, this is what happens when you elect a President who believes things work the way they think it does instead of understanding how it actually works. It reminds me of when he blustered at a judge "I'll see you in court". Like, yeah, he's a judge. That's where he works.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

There's a reason why people joke that Trump's administration, aside from all the obscene graft and blatant corruption, is pretty much a Ctrl+Alt+Del of every single one of the Obama Administration's policies. It's because it's true.

Trump is... bringing up the Obama administration's task manager?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Not gonna lie I looked for a TrumpLoss.jpg edit

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

More like ctrl+A delete. If he could erase Obama from the history books and neuralyze the country to forget Obama, he damn sure would.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

It's more like he keeps deleting the shortcuts off the desktop and can't figure out why the stuff is still running. He is the personification of all things wrong with someone calling tech support condensed into one being.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You know, it probably speaks well of Obama's time in office in that Trump and his cronies have had access to classified material for years now and nobody managed to dig up any evidence of corruption or wrongdoing on Obama's part. All they have are easily debunkable conspiracy theories.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    You know, it probably speaks well of Obama's time in office in that Trump and his cronies have had access to classified material for years now and nobody managed to dig up any evidence of corruption or wrongdoing on Obama's part. All they have are easily debunkable conspiracy theories.

Also the Overton Scandal Window has shifted thanks to them, so if they unearthed anything Obama did it would be seen as whataboutism in light of the bevy of constitutional crises we're currently facing.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

They are too lazy to comb through intelligence themselves. And they don't trust the intelligence community anyway, that's why they are going around the world asking foreign governments in the first place.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    General sentiment on the right is that Obama was the corrupt mastermind of Benghazi, Fast and the Furious, something something Loretta Lynch, and trying to rig the 2016 election by launching a fake investigation into Trump based on the pee tape. Meanwhile, Trump hasn't done anything impeachable, he's just a blowhard who's only guilty of saying dumb things on Twitter.

The whataboutism is out in full force, it's just that the general public isn't buying it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Isn't the % of people who support an impeachment inquiry about the same as Obama's approval rating when leaving the office? I.E., virtually every single non-Republican.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Isn't the % of people who support an impeachment inquiry about the same as Obama's approval rating when leaving the office? I.E., virtually every single non-Republican.
    There’s a pretty substantial amount of the republican base who want a Mike Pence presidency. The super conservative evangelicals love him.

There could be a point when they decide the damage done by trump getting booted is outweighed by the chance to get a Pence presidency. The political calculus on that is interesting.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Is Mike Pence even a realistic possibility? He's going to get maybe a year, tops, in office. Or get dragged down with Trump.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Trumps been doing his best to drag Pence into the mess so if he goes down, Pence does too. Manafort probably picked Pence for VP because of some dirt they have on him too.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    That's one thing about polls asking about impeachment support: they don't also gather why they support impeachment. I don't doubt there's a percentage of people out there who support impeachment due to not liking the blatant way the president is doing things even though they like what he's doing (aka the "please go back to dogwhistling" contingent).

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I've stepped away from these threads for a while because of how depressing and hopeless everything was.

Kudos to everyone who stuck by.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Wow Ted Cruz just came out against Trump in his solicitation of China to dig up dirt.

Now Pro Cruz and Pro Trump GOP are fighting in various corners of the internet.

I’m going to get my popcorn.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2019/10/13/ted-cruz-trump-china-biden-046007

zepherin on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've stepped away from these threads for a while because of how depressing and hopeless everything was.

Kudos to everyone who stuck by.

You weren't the only one. I still take breaks from time to time. Gotta look out for number 1.

In other news, one of the Ukranians arrested is apparently an officer in a Sacramento cannibas dispensary which controls a significant share of the area's pot sales.

As of right now, there's no evidence of political donations going straight to state-level politicians (although said dispensary HAS been donating, so it's quite possible), but this may get tied up in state and local politics, too.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Is Mike Pence even a realistic possibility? He's going to get maybe a year, tops, in office. Or get dragged down with Trump.

If you look at it as an assumption that Trump is doomed, Pence is a chance.

There were pundits who put up the idea that Clinton could resign to empower Gore leading up to his 2000 run, and since it wouldn't be long enough to count as his first term for the limit, he could still have run in 2004.

There's a very important distinction: Gore had clean hands in Clinton's scandals, real and manufactured. Pence is balls deep in the brine pool at the bottom of this shit sea. Where Gore might have spent a year and change establishing his platform, Pence would spend it getting nailed to the wall.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I see billboards for CBD here in Texas. I doubt there is anything more than 'make lots of money selling pot' to that.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It's blatantly clear that he and his supporters have no idea what impeaching actually is, because they keep going all "playschool word of the day" with it.

I wonder how long before the right runs an attack ad along the lines of "Ocasio-Cortez wants to impeach you and everyone you love"

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Wow Ted Cruz just came out against Trump in his solicitation of China to dig up dirt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2019/10/13/ted-cruz-trump-china-biden-046007

Wow, Cruz made a toothless condemnation of Trump that does not require him to actually make a stand on the issue of impeachment, thus letting him court both pro impeachment and anti impeachment groups.

Truly the hero the GOP deserves.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I wonder how long before the right runs an attack ad along the lines of "Ocasio-Cortez wants to impeach you and everyone you love"

Honestly I'd be a little surprised if they haven't already

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Wow, Cruz made a toothless condemnation of Trump that does not require him to actually make a stand on the issue of impeachment, thus letting him court both pro impeachment and anti impeachment groups.

Truly the hero the GOP deserves.
    That isn’t the good stuff, but what is delightful, is the infighting, Trump supporters are taking it as an attack, and such the infighting is just...
    *chefs kiss*

This discussion has been closed.