Options

[Impeachment] for ... Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    spool32 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

Rudy Giuliani is, inexplicably, a lawyer... the president's lawyer

Is he being willfully ignorant about the impeachment process, or is he just the worst lawyer of all time?

Por que no los dos?

it’s not the worst play if you’re banking on the american people being ignorant of the differences between impeachment and a criminal trial

which i mean

probably most people

One googly-eyed animal to another, I think Rudy is so senile there's no way this is an intentional strategy instead of just random flailing

No this is actually the strategy. It lines up - minority in the house claiming they're being silenced and demanding due process, the leaked talking points (both sets), Trump's refusal to hand over documents, Rudy's comment here, it's all adding up to an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of the impeachment before it occurs.

This is orchestrated and intentional - it's the angle they've settled on. Whether it works is open but it's a repeat of Mueller, but things are moving much faster now.

..The messaging itself was crafted with focused intent, but whether Rudy's recent regurgitation of it is calculated strategy, or a panicked plea to not be coffee-boy'd, is anyone's guess today.

I half suspect that tweet was because Rudy is pissed he doesn't have direct access to the the ambassador's closed session testimony. Which could also explain those weird talking points circulated about how suddenly concerned the State Dept is that she didn't have a State Dept. lawyer present. But I'm assuming one of the Republicans on the committee is just going to leak it to him anyway so, I'm not sure that theory makes sense.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Is he being willfully ignorant about the impeachment process, or is he just the worst lawyer of all time?

Por que no los dos?

it’s not the worst play if you’re banking on the american people being ignorant of the differences between impeachment and a criminal trial

which i mean

probably most people

One googly-eyed animal to another, I think Rudy is so senile there's no way this is an intentional strategy instead of just random flailing

No this is actually the strategy. It lines up - minority in the house claiming they're being silenced and demanding due process, the leaked talking points (both sets), Trump's refusal to hand over documents, Rudy's comment here, it's all adding up to an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of the impeachment before it occurs.

This is orchestrated and intentional - it's the angle they've settled on. Whether it works is open but it's a repeat of Mueller, but things are moving much faster now.

Rudy's tweet here is just repeating the same talking points in Kevin McCarthy's demands to Pelosi last week.

The messaging itself was crafted with focused intent, but whether Rudy's recent regurgitation of it is calculated strategy, or a panicked plea to not be coffee-boy'd, is anyone's guess today.

Also: Why is there a single word for being thrown out of a window but not under a bus?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    The previous bullshit worked against mueller because of how long it took to come out, and they were able to control the message. This just kind of continually blows up more and more everyday, and you have complete idiots like Rudy on news shows admitting to crimes we didn't even know yet, you can't control this message.

Also, the Mueller report being longer than 8 pages. People actually read the memo and the Whistleblower report.

More specifically, the media actually read it this time. It got freaking Sunday show hosts to actually have pushback against republican talking points!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

..The messaging itself was crafted with focused intent, but whether Rudy's recent regurgitation of it is calculated strategy, or a panicked plea to not be coffee-boy'd, is anyone's guess today.

I half suspect that tweet was because Rudy is pissed he doesn't have direct access to the the ambassador's closed session testimony. Which could also explain those weird talking points circulated about how suddenly concerned the State Dept is that she didn't have a State Dept. lawyer present. But I'm assuming one of the Republicans on the committee is just going to leak it to him anyway so, I'm not sure that theory makes sense.

yeah well of course they're worried - Pompeo wants to control the message coming out of his department in order to keep a lid on things.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So if you have friends and family in your life that ask - as some of mine do - "what law did he break?", I think this piece written by members of the Watergate special prosecutor force might possibly help:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-investigated-the-watergate-scandal-we-believe-trump-should-be-impeached/2019/10/10/5cf0c2ce-eb72-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3drLMJ4bz4FpsS2TzcDZMriY3wXdnJRBAwf5g3PN8GFuY6yNQrRz7yjog
    In our considered view, the same three articles of impeachment could be specified against Trump, as he has demonstrated serious and persistent abuses of power that, in our view, satisfy the constitutional standard of “high crimes and misdemeanors.” For example:

● Trump conditioned protection of the military security of the United States and of an ally (Ukraine) on actions for his personal political benefit.

● Trump subordinated the integrity of our national electoral process to his own personal political interest by soliciting and encouraging foreign government interference in our electoral process, including by Russia and China. He also appears to have demanded that Ukraine investigate a potential 2020 political opponent and pursue the conspiracy theory that Ukraine had interfered in the 2016 presidential election, despite the unanimous conclusion of the U.S. intelligence community that it was Russia that had interfered.

● According to the evidence laid out in the Mueller report, Trump engaged in multiple acts of obstruction of justice in violation of federal criminal statutes and of his oath of office to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed.” Because Mueller viewed Justice Department policy as precluding him from filing criminal charges against the president, the special counsel appropriately stated that these abuses are for Congress to address.

● Trump obstructed lawful congressional investigations by systematically withholding evidence and by directing government agencies and employees to refuse to cooperate with legitimate oversight by Congress. Most significantly, the president’s blanket refusal to honor requests for relevant information sought by House members conducting an impeachment inquiry constitutes impeachable contempt and obstruction. The public is entitled to know the facts, and Congress is the body our democracy has entrusted with uncovering them.

In my case I have an uphill battle because some of my family thinks Nixon was railroaded, but for less-touched humans this may be helpful!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Rudy. Rudy. Are you listening? I'll have a venti latte and be quick about it.

Michael Schmidt of the NY Times: NEW: SDNY, an office Giuliani once led, is investigating whether he broke foreign lobbying laws in his dealings in Ukraine and are examining his
    efforts to remove the US ambassador to Ukraine.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Rudy. Rudy. Are you listening? I'll have a venti latte and be quick about it.

Michael Schmidt of the NY Times: NEW: SDNY, an office Giuliani once led, is investigating whether he broke foreign lobbying laws in his dealings in Ukraine and are examining his
    efforts to remove the US ambassador to Ukraine.

MAGA: Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Giuliani says in that story that he couldn't have committed the crime of illegal lobbying for a foreign entity because he was working for the president...which is to say the impeachable offense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Hey Giuliani, remember when you said that Hill couldn't possibly know that you circumvented normal channels with Sondland in order to speak to Trump to plan your shadow foreign policy?

You uh, you just admitted to doing that.

Viskod on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    That's like saying, "it wasn't illegal for me to rob the bank, because the bank president asked me to!"

You didn't make your defense better, you just made someone else's worse.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Fuck man reality is really starting to strain credulity

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Fuck man reality is really starting to strain credulity

Going on 5 years now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-fallout/index.html
    These aides have told Trump that Giuliani was only damaging his defense -- and after Thursday's arrests, Trump has raised his own questions privately about Giuliani's culpability, according to people familiar with his concerns.
    Asked by CNN Thursday if he feared his personal attorney could be indicted potentially, Trump said: "I hope not."

He then put distance between himself and the actions undertaken by his lawyer.

"You know, he's got a lot of clients. So, I just don't know. I haven't spoken to Rudy about it, I don't know," Trump said.

Everybody should have seen this coming!

C'mon rudy, you dragged pompeo under the grey hound you can do it to trump too!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

The big message here really is that even the trump loyalists don't see any way to contest the essence of the charges, so they have to raise a big stink about process. There's basically not even any attempt to address the actual meat of the accusations.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Their defense appears to be focused around claiming everything that is happening is completely unfair, Trump is being denied due process to defend himself (despite him digging a further hole every time he speaks) and that they can't intimidate/threaten witnesses like they want to do. There is a huge disincentive to actually deal with the core meat of the complaints and allegations, because they are so obviously damming. I will say I feel this worked with Mueller and they're trying it again, but it's less successful this time because it's - once again - just so damn obvious what they are doing.

I also wonder what the Democrats actually knew when they called the impeachment inquiry. I'm beginning to suspect they had a lot more than just a whistleblower complaint alleging some bad stuff that they hadn't even seen before immediately launching it. They had almost as much reason to launch this kind of impeachment when Mueller was doing his investigations, but did so instantly here.

What did they know or might know that hasn't been revealed yet?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The president publicly admitted to the very thing the Mueller report was primarily seeking but failed to find. That's all.

The Impeachment trigger was being held off for lacking an easy narrative to win public support, not lack of criminal activity.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-fallout/index.html
    These aides have told Trump that Giuliani was only damaging his defense -- and after Thursday's arrests, Trump has raised his own questions privately about Giuliani's culpability, according to people familiar with his concerns.
    Asked by CNN Thursday if he feared his personal attorney could be indicted potentially, Trump said: "I hope not."

He then put distance between himself and the actions undertaken by his lawyer.

"You know, he's got a lot of clients. So, I just don't know. I haven't spoken to Rudy about it, I don't know," Trump said.

Everybody should have seen this coming!

C'mon rudy, you dragged pompeo under the grey hound you can do it to trump too!

He'd be the worst witness ever if he tried to flip. I say we just let him down

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is there ever a way this can reach a point where Trump has to go in front of, like, anyone with an authority he can't step on/have pre-bought the loyalty of.

And just be called out again and again on his lies like a child every time he tries, with some sort of stacking consequence until he has to finally tell a single truth? Like someone just finally has enough of his bullshit and just Nopes him super hard and with a power he can't ignore?

I almost need that more than his actual punishment ( which I also very much need)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Lev, fresh from being coffee-boyed, has been found on the invite-only guest list for Trump's election night bash.
    Donald Trump tried to distance himself from the latest scandal that threatens his presidency on Thursday by saying he didn’t know either of the foreign-born Rudy Giuliani associates that his own Justice Department had just indicted for alleged campaign finance violations.

But that’s not what one of the men said three years ago — while attending Trump’s invite-only 2016 election night party in New York.

By way of discounting the story, Sean Spicer throws a probably inadvertent chunk of shade at Trump:
    Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer, who was spokesman for the Republican National Committee at the time, recalled, “I think up until the wee hours of the morning it was not a tough ticket. Put it that way. I just remember bringing people in there with me. It was not the most challenging event to get into.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Is there ever a way this can reach a point where Trump has to go in front of, like, anyone with an authority he can't step on/have pre-bought the loyalty of.

And just be called out again and again on his lies like a child every time he tries, with some sort of stacking consequence until he has to finally tell a single truth? Like someone just finally has enough of his bullshit and just Nopes him super hard and with a power he can't ignore?

I almost need that more than his actual punishment ( which I also very much need)

I'll settle for the legal system impact cratering the man from orbit once he leaves office.
    Then he can spend the next remaining decade or so in jail. I doubt he'll live much longer, so we'll just have to settle for burning down his criminal empire and everybody associated with him.
    And his children can now get real jobs.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Would it be legal for someone to just open up a kickstarter for the express purpose of paying all fines incurred by violating subpoenas?

Because that is absolutely the sort of thing I can see these fuckos trying to do, and there are probably enough dipshits in this country to pay in.

I'm probably late to this but it would probably go down the same way as the wall kick starter.

Lot of money collected and then someone disappears into the winds of Switzerland with it

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I'll settle for the legal system impact cratering the man from orbit once he leaves office.
    Then he can spend the next remaining decade or so in jail. I doubt he'll live much longer, so we'll just have to settle for burning down his criminal empire and everybody associated with him.
    And his children can now get real jobs.

Prison jobs, preferably.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Nashville NBC affiliate ambushes Mike Pompeo with direct question of whether or not he met with Rudy Giuliani when they were both in Warsaw earlier this year.
    Naturally he repeats an answer to a question the reporter did not ask, three times as she persists.

So apparently Mike Pompeo totally took a meeting with Rudy Giuliani when he was in Warsaw.

https://youtu.be/B-oCBuFAx_s

Viskod on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The level of shamelessness is astounding. The president personal muckraker(and apparently illegal contribution bundler) is seems to be involved in domestic and foreign policy at every level

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

Wait, wait, "Both sets"? They did it AGAIN?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Even if we ever get him on a stand, he won't tell the truth about anything, and he won't accept that anything he ever did was wrong. He would sit on the stand and "no defendant, no defendant, you're the defendant" until the prosecutor got tired of him.

If you're looking for the satisfaction of seeing him broken, you'll be disappointed, because he's wired such that he'll never admit that he did anything wrong. The best you'll get is his nuclear rage that people are not giving him the adulation he deserves.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Even if we ever get him on a stand, he won't tell the truth about anything, and he won't accept that anything he ever did was wrong. He would sit on the stand and "no defendant, no defendant, you're the defendant" until the prosecutor got tired of him.

If you're looking for the satisfaction of seeing him broken, you'll be disappointed, because he's wired such that he'll never admit that he did anything wrong. The best you'll get is his nuclear rage that people are not giving him the adulation he deserves.

He’s been on the stand before and his attitude was completely different than normal because he knew he was under oath.

Though now I suppose he’s President and assumes that protects him. On the other hand, any situation where Trump ends up having to testify is one where I doubt being the President means as much protection as it does now.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

He’s been on the stand before and his attitude was completely different than normal because he knew he was under oath.

Though now I suppose he’s President and assumes that protects him. On the other hand, any situation where Trump ends up having to testify is one where I doubt being the President means as much protection as it does now.

Plus. When was he under oath the last time? 90s?

He is over 70 now and there are many signs he has declined alot mentally. So I wouldnt expect something different even if you get him under oath.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

He is over 70 now and there are many signs he has declined alot mentally. So I wouldnt expect something different even if you get him under oath.

If memory serves, Trump gave a deposition for some of his hateful rhetoric and his business dealings in the middle of 2016.

He’s very different from the loud, childish blowhard we’re used to when he knows he’s under oath.

Here’s a spoilered video of the deposition if anyone is curious:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Mike Pompeo so thinks he's going to be president some day. Like even more than Pence so I fully expect him to hold on to the bitter end

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

If memory serves, Trump gave a deposition for some of his hateful rhetoric and his business dealings in the middle of 2016.

He’s very different from the loud, childish blowhard we’re used to when he knows he’s under oath.

Here’s a spoilered video of the deposition if anyone is curious:

I stand corrected then. I thought the last of these was done when he wad way younger.

Ok, so get him under oath then.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://apnews.com/ab67c31d9b3c4acdada93a624052ddc4
    One individual with firsthand knowledge of how the Trump calls with foreign leaders are handled said the president “hates” such “pre-briefs” and frequently has refused to do them. Trump doesn’t like written background materials either, preferring to handle the calls himself, often in the morning from the residence. Occasionally, while on the phone with foreign heads of state, Trump has handed the receiver to his daughter, Ivanka Trump, so she can talk with the leader, according to this individual.

The person said a six-page pre-brief with attachments was once prepared for Trump before a call to a foreign leader. But that turned out to be too long, as did a single-page version. Preparing pre-brief note cards that offered about three talking points for Trump to make on a call was the norm, according to this person, who feared retribution for describing this process and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The individual said that when Trump is done with the note cards, he often rips them up and tosses them in a burn bag. Staff who handle records have had to retrieve the burn bags from the residence, put the papers out on a table and tape them back together to preserve them as official presidential records, this person said.
    I know this sort of thing has been known for a while, but this alone should have been impeachable because what the heck?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Trump is a 70-year-old toddler and his party are either fine with that or terrified of what might happen if they go against him.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    One individual with firsthand knowledge of how the Trump calls with foreign leaders are handled said the president “hates” such “pre-briefs” and frequently has refused to do them. Trump doesn’t like written background materials either, preferring to handle the calls himself, often in the morning from the residence. Occasionally, while on the phone with foreign heads of state, Trump has handed the receiver to his daughter, Ivanka Trump, so she can talk with the leader, according to this individual.

The person said a six-page pre-brief with attachments was once prepared for Trump before a call to a foreign leader. But that turned out to be too long, as did a single-page version. Preparing pre-brief note cards that offered about three talking points for Trump to make on a call was the norm, according to this person, who feared retribution for describing this process and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The individual said that when Trump is done with the note cards, he often rips them up and tosses them in a burn bag. Staff who handle records have had to retrieve the burn bags from the residence, put the papers out on a table and tape them back together to preserve them as official presidential records, this person said.
    I know this sort of thing has been known for a while, but this alone should have been impeachable because what the heck?

It does raise the question of why.

Is he doing it because despite it being reported on multiple times, noone has had the balls to tell him it's illegal for fear of upsetting him?
    Is he doing it because he's forgotten he's been told?
    Is he doing it because he knows it's wrong, but fuck the law, that's why?

I mean, it's kinda irrelevant, because all three reasons should be disqualifying for his role.

But I am curious whether it's the bullying, forgetfulness or arrogance that's the primary reason behind this particular criminality. It's a game I play when Trump says something crazy. Spite/Stupidity/Graft/Ego? Most things he does fits into one of those four categories, though some require a broadening of definition (ie, I count the border racisim mostly as spite).

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    More than a little gross he has Ivanka talk to world leaders she's not a fucking elected anything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

Also, he supposedl
    MorganV wrote: »

It does raise the question of why.

Is he doing it because despite it being reported on multiple times, noone has had the balls to tell him it's illegal for fear of upsetting him?
    Is he doing it because he's forgotten he's been told?
    Is he doing it because he knows it's wrong, but fuck the law, that's why?

I mean, it's kinda irrelevant, because all three reasons should be disqualifying for his role.

But I am curious whether it's the bullying, forgetfulness or arrogance that's the primary reason behind this particular criminality. It's a game I play when Trump says something crazy. Spite/Stupidity/Graft/Ego? Most things he does fits into one of those four categories, though some require a broadening of definition (ie, I count the border racisim mostly as spite).

I would bet a significant amount of money that he’s been told and he just doesn’t give a shit. His ego is so out of control that he will simply not be told what he can and cannot do by anyone.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Trump does that because it is how he has always operated. When he is done with a a memo or something on paper he rips it in half to signify he has "read" it and is done with it. It is an old person way of handling paper in a business, and is as stupid as it sounds.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That they have a "burn bag" for his memos is more example of lawlessness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    That they have a "burn bag" for his memos is more example of lawlessness.

I dont think it's for his memos but is meant for trash and other non-presidential papers that are supposed to be burned at the onsite incinerator.

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.